PDA

View Full Version : Kalle Anka på Julafton

Magnus
24th December 2007, 12:41
When I am writing this it is abt an hour and a half til the moment when Sweden literally stops. At 15,00 swedish television airs Donald Duck(kalle Anka) as they have been doing on Julafton, Christmas Eve, for over forty years now.

In the seventies it was one of few possibilities to see animated films, especially from the US, on TV. But still today with so many different channels abt half the swedish population of nine million gather around the TV at 15,00. There is no traffic at this time, everyone is at home. During the eighties there was a lot of joking around the theme that if the Sovietunion wanted to invade Sweden they should do it while Kalle Anka was on TV on Julafton. No programme on Swedish television has ever been even close to these ratings.

Do you have any similiar programs or events in your countries that tends to hypnotize large parts of the population at a certain time?

A.F.F.
24th December 2007, 13:02
Yes. The legendary Samu Sirkan Joulutervehdys, Jiminy Cricket.

I remember watching it when was so little I sat on the edge of the carpet :)

Robinho
24th December 2007, 13:11
i don't think the country stops for it, but the Snowman is a bit of an event on Christmas Eve for some

i'm confused this year because the Great Escape has already been on, instead of Chritsmas day afternoon so thats thrown out all my schedule, maybe someone will have the Italian Job or Zulu to put things back into sync!

Eki
24th December 2007, 14:51
Yes. The legendary Samu Sirkan Joulutervehdys, Jiminy Cricket.

I remember watching it when was so little I sat on the edge of the carpet :)
I lived on the west coast of Finland, and got to see it twice. On the Swedish TV and the Finnish.

jso1985
25th December 2007, 21:54
The Football World Cup Final certainly stops the country here, I remember the 1998 Final had a rating of 2 millions(on a 8 Million inhabitants country)