PDA

View Full Version : If the pet is getting senile

leopard
24th December 2007, 03:57
What would you do if your beloved pet is getting old, not interestingly funny anymore. As it may get senile and may possibly to make gross anywhere.

Jag_Warrior
24th December 2007, 14:15
I would make his remaining time with me as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I would try to make sure that he didn't suffer and was in no pain. My dog is blind and he has diabetes. I give him insulin shots twice a day. And I have his lot laid out so that he can easily find everything that he needs or wants. I figure that if our roles were switched, he'd do the same for me.

Why? What did you have in mind? I'm not "interestingly funny" anymore either. I hope that doesn't prompt anyone to try and do away with me.

jim mcglinchey
24th December 2007, 15:30
I've never been in that dilemma before. Our dogs usually came to a sudden end on the road. We did have one big hairy hound called Harvey who went a bit doolally at the end but he dropped dead one day.

jso1985
25th December 2007, 21:49
I don't have my cats expecting them to be "interesting" or "funny", if they get too old I'll keep them with me and help as much as I can unless they're in true pain

GingerLynn
26th December 2007, 19:31
I have an old guy @ home - 10 years old (large breed) who's been my closest pal ever. Vacations and later family vacations are planned with him in mind - going to places which allow dogs up until this year.

It's been tough not brining him to places we go now. This is probably his last Christmas/New Years...

I hope he goes like his brother - in his sleep after a nice long walk. But if he needs to be put down we'll have the vet come to our home - highly recomended.

It will be hell either way... Our dog is part of our family - not the family dog.

Hazell B
26th December 2007, 21:55
I'm a bit surprised that anyone with a pet needs ask what to do. You just know if you care about them in the right way.

People who keep an animal alive when frankly it should be shot are equally as stupid as those who just stop feeding an aged hamster because it's become boring, in my opinion.

I had two horses shot last year when both looked really well (one was bouncing about on the end of his rope, full of the joys of spring as the fellmonger raised his gun!) but both needed to be shot just at that time, on that day after the pain had ended and before it started again ... you just know.

leopard
27th December 2007, 07:57
I had several different generation of cats, still remembered how entertaining when they were small. I didn't know exactly how they ended up their life. Usually I put them out of the home and let life free, in couple of days found them died underbrush.

I used to kill or sell the sick cattle or those getting old like cows, chickens, or ducks. It still earned money although the price was far from number of money it should.

Hazell B
27th December 2007, 18:18
Karma will see you die alone, thrown from your own home, under a bush.

And serve you right ;)

Corrine
27th December 2007, 18:33
I had several different generation of cats, still remembered how entertaining when they were small. I didn't know exactly how they ended up their life. Usually I put them out of the home and let life free, in couple of days found them died underbrush.

I used to kill or sell the sick cattle or those getting old like cows, chickens, or ducks. It still earned money although the price was far from number of money it should.

Read your sig.

I forgive you......but......when your time comes read on.

May you go alone, unwanted, unloved, totally uncared for, cold and miserable.

Like your animals before you. Vile creature.

Jag_Warrior
27th December 2007, 19:18
I'm a bit surprised that anyone with a pet needs ask what to do. You just know if you care about them in the right way.

People who keep an animal alive when frankly it should be shot are equally as stupid as those who just stop feeding an aged hamster because it's become boring, in my opinion.

I had two horses shot last year when both looked really well (one was bouncing about on the end of his rope, full of the joys of spring as the fellmonger raised his gun!) but both needed to be shot just at that time, on that day after the pain had ended and before it started again ... you just know.

With all due respect, I can't agree with you here, Hazell. People and their perceptions of THE right thing to do are different. Add to that, not everyone is in a position to fund a pet's medical care to the same degree as others. Certainly if an animal is (obviously) suffereing, that hard decision can more easily be made.

But to say that people should just know? My lil four legged pals are typically better friends to me than most people. But I don't always "know" if I should take a role in their passing. When my cat developed cancer in his leg, I only knew that our time together was up when the vets told me that the cancer had metastized, and his condition would only worsen. Money wasn't a concern, but his chances of recovery were still 0. With my dog, his blindness comes from cataracts. And the diabetes prevents the animal hospital from removing them. I have the means to care for him. Some other people may not. A family in that situation would have to make a choice that I won't have to make, until I see that his kidneys are beginning to fail because of the diabetes. If he was a farm or pure working dog, that might cause someone else to make a decision much different from my own.

I was willing to give leopardsleeping something of a pass, since English may not be his first language. I thought that maybe he didn't mean his first post, as his words seemed to indicate. Then, with his followup post, I see that he likely is a person with, shall we say... "issues". Living creatures may not be for him (her?). Hopefully this person will take on something like a rock or maybe a plastic bottle as a "pet". Then if he tosses them outside when they are no longer "interestingly funny", it will only involve a fine for littering.

Malbec
27th December 2007, 19:26
I was willing to give leopardsleeping something of a pass, since English may not be his first language. I thought that maybe he didn't mean his first post, as his words seemed to indicate. Then, with his followup post, I see that he likely is a person with, shall we say... "issues". Living creatures may not be for him (her?). Hopefully this person will take on something like a rock or maybe a plastic bottle as a "pet". Then if he tosses them outside when they are no longer "interestingly funny", it will only involve a fine for littering.

Agreed.

Anyone who will only look after an animal as long as they are entertaining doesn't deserve to have any and should expect similar treatment themselves IMO.

Corrine
27th December 2007, 19:39
With all due respect, I can't agree with you here, Hazell. People and their perceptions of THE right thing to do are different. Add to that, not everyone is in a position to fund a pet's medical care to the same degree as others. Certainly if an animal is (obviously) suffereing, that hard decision can more easily be made.

But to say that people should just know? My lil four legged pals are typically better friends to me than most people. But I don't always "know" if I should take a role in their passing. When my cat developed cancer in his leg, I only knew that our time together was up when the vets told me that the cancer had metastized, and his condition would only worsen. Money wasn't a concern, but his chances of recovery were still 0. With my dog, his blindness comes from cataracts. And the diabetes prevents the animal hospital from removing them. I have the means to care for him. Some other people may not. A family in that situation would have to make a choice that I won't have to make, until I see that his kidneys are beginning to fail because of the diabetes. If he was a farm or pure working dog, that might cause someone else to make a decision much different from my own.

The welfare and care of another life means many things to people. In different cultures welfare means nothing, it is inside the person to define care and welfare.

There are a hell of a lot of "hollow" people out there, who care nothing for their fellow humans let alone an animal. I happen to care about both, if any living creature is suffering, get it treatment! If not, you know the kindest thing to do and it is not leave it outside to die of exposure or attack by a predator, that would prolong the suffering in many cases.

In many countries there are now the means to get free or cheaper treatment for an animal, so the excuses are not there.

I do wish the same allowances were made for our own kind who suffer, that is opening up a whole new discussion. As a "superior" species we decide when an animal is suffering and decide to assist its passing,thereby ceasing its pain and indignity, our superiority is such, that we cannot do the same for our own as we would then be acting as God. To me that is a load of bo**ocks, if you have seen someone dear to you in this predicament would you wish to prolong the agony?

Back to the original question, this guy needs a lesson in humanity as he has issues with anything other than his own species.

Hope another lifeform doesn't end up in his hands in the future.

Camelopard
27th December 2007, 19:41
I think you should give leopardsleeping benefit of the doubt, English is not his first language and I'm sure what he is trying to say has been muddled up.

To me the following sentence sounds like it's coming from a farmer or some one who is rearing animals/birds for profit.

"I used to kill or sell the sick cattle or those getting old like cows, chickens, or ducks. It still earned money although the price was far from number of money it should."

Malbec
27th December 2007, 19:42
Back to the original question, this guy needs a lesson in humanity as he has issues with anything other than his own species.

He probably doesn't understand why his posts have received such a hostile response since his values are so different to ours though.

Camelopard
27th December 2007, 19:56
What would you do if your beloved pet is getting old, not interestingly funny anymore. As it may get senile and may possibly to make gross anywhere.

My take on this comment is that the pet is getting old (fairly obvious), not interested in life and is having trouble controlling bowel movements.

I don't think that he means that the pet isn't 'funny anymore' in the way an English speaker would mean it.

Corrine
27th December 2007, 20:10
My take on this comment is that the pet is getting old (fairly obvious), not interested in life and is having trouble controlling bowel movements.

I don't think that he means that the pet isn't 'funny anymore' in the way an English speaker would mean it.

The first post I understood that english is not the first language, but the subsequent post made me understand the language was not of compassion.

leopard
28th December 2007, 02:41
Karma will see you die alone, thrown from your own home, under a bush.

And serve you right ;)
No, because after taking them out of my home I saw my neighbor was feeding them. :)

GingerLynn
3rd January 2008, 19:43
No, because after taking them out of my home I saw my neighbor was feeding them. :)

Shoot yourself.

Hazell B
4th January 2008, 20:41

Somebody else having an ounce of decency won't allow you off the hook when it comes to karma.

Look, no matter that the animal is sick, well or ten minutes from death, throwing it out to just die is wrong. It's ill and you're suddenly stopping all food, heat, comfort and so on. That cannot be right, or justified.

In the UK you would face the courts for that sort of thing. We have laws that ensure a 'duty of care' for all animals (domestic and farmed) owned by humans. Simply not calling a vet to have an animal put down and instead tossing it out is enough to break the law. Plus, it's dirt cheap to have their lives ended - our fellmonger charges £100 to shoot and remove a 750kg horse. That's cheaper than a month extra keeping it fed and housed!

If you can't afford to have them put down when they aren't wanted, you should never have them in the first place. No excuses.

Dave B
4th January 2008, 20:59
Been there, sadly, with my last dog. Her last day was spent having muscle spasms and fouling herself, and at 17 the only realistic course of action was to as the vet to put her out of her misery.

Why we can't allow humans the same dignity is a mystery. Can open, worms everywhere....

Pawprint
4th January 2008, 21:35
My dog is blind and he has diabetes. I give him insulin shots twice a day. And I have his lot laid out so that he can easily find everything that he needs or wants. I figure that if our roles were switched, he'd do the same for me.

That is really sweet..... proper..... lovely..... :') :'')