(of the 16 COT races in 2007)
Chevrolet took 13 wins
Ford took 2 wins
Dodge took 1 win

Hendrick MotorSports Chevrolets won 9 of the 16 COT races
Jimmie Johnson won 5 COT races for Hendrick MotorSports
Jeff Gordon won 3 COT races for Hendrick MotorSports
Kyle Busch won 1 COT race for Hendrick MotorSports

Joe Gibbs Racing Chevrolets won 2 of the 16 COT races (switching to TOYOTA for 2008)
Denny Hamlin won 1 COT race for Joe Gibbs Racing
Tony Stewart won 1 COT race for Joe Gibbs Racing

Roush Racing Fords won 2 of the 16 COT races
Carl Edwards won both of the COT races won by Roush Racing

Clint Bowyer won 1 of the 16 COT races for Richard Childress Racing Chevrolets

Martin Truex Jr won 1 of the 16 COT races for Dale Earnhardt Inc Chevrolets

Juan Montoya won 1 of the 16 COT races for Ganassi Racing Dodges (Sonoma)

Clearly if you drive a Hendrick MotorSports Chevrolet ...
your odds of winning a 2008 COT race should be very good ...
but it could be not who will win in 2008 but WHICH Chevrolet will win. :s

harvick#1
24th December 2007, 01:00
but the cookie cutters are still unknown, they made the short track racing a bore and same with dega, how can they get the cookie cutter races any worse

call_me_andrew
24th December 2007, 03:10
Well Ford never has more than 8 cars in a race these days (5 Roush, 2 Yates, 1 Gordon). Dodge only has about 9 cars (3 Ganassi, 2 Penske, 2 Petty). Toyota rarely qualifies so don't bother counting them. That means the other 33 cars are all Chevys. When you own 3/4ths of the field, I guess you're supposed to win 3/4ths of the races.

muggle not
24th December 2007, 03:42
Well Ford never has more than 8 cars in a race these days (5 Roush, 2 Yates, 1 Gordon). Dodge only has about 9 cars (3 Ganassi, 2 Penske, 2 Petty). Toyota rarely qualifies so don't bother counting them. That means the other 33 cars are all Chevys. When you own 3/4ths of the field, I guess you're supposed to win 3/4ths of the races.
Is that what some call "fuzzy math".
Ford : 8 + Dodge : 9 = 17
Total in the field is 43 minus the 17.......looks like 26 to me. and that would be on the high side as it excludes the Toyotas and some of Evernham. :)

RaceFanStan
24th December 2007, 16:55
... Toyota rarely qualifies so don't bother counting them ...
Your assumption is definately in error because of the 11 TOYOTA drivers ...
5 TOYOTA drivers ARE GUARANTEED starting spots in the 1st 5 races of 2008 http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
Denny Hamlin #11 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Kyle Busch #18 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Tony Stewart #20 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Dave Blaney #22 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
J J Yeley #96 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)

NOTE :
Dale Jarrett #44 will race the 1st 5 races of 2008 ONLY
(Dale Jarrett may go home* if Kurt Busch uses the Previous Champion’s Provisional)
*(Dale Jarrett has Previous Champion’s Provisional but Kurt Busch is more recent)

Furthermore if a team can make a Toyota go fast I would put my money on Joe Gibbs Racing ...
plus look at Gibbs drivers, Stewart, Hamlin & Kyle Busch, all very talented & a threat at every race. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

RaceFanStan
24th December 2007, 17:06
... That means the other 33 cars are all Chevys.
When you own 3/4ths of the field, I guess you're supposed to win 3/4ths of the races.
Again your assumption is definately in error because of the 15 CHEVROLET drivers ...
13 CHEVROLET drivers ARE GUARANTEED starting spots in the 1st 5 races of 2008 http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Hendrick MotorSports
Casey Mears #5 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points) (was #25)
Jeff Gordon #24 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Jimmie Johnson #48 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Dale Earnhardt Jr #88 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points) (was #5)

Dale Earnhardt Inc
Regan Smith #01 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Martin Truex Jr #1 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Mark Martin / Aric Almirola #8 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Paul Menard #15 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)

Richard Childress Racing
Clint Bowyer #07 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Kevin Harvick #29 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Jeff Burton #31 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)

Haas CNC Racing
Jeremy Mayfield #66 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)
Scott Riggs #70 (in Top 35 ~ 2007 Owners Points)

NOTE : I am only listing FULL-TIME Cup teams.
There is no way of knowing how many part-time drivers will attempt races.
Of course the part-timers will have to qualify on speed. :s

call_me_andrew
25th December 2007, 04:56
Your assumption is definately in error because of the 11 TOYOTA drivers ...
5 TOYOTA drivers ARE GUARANTEED starting spots in the 1st 5 races of 2008 http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Well that's all fine and dandy for 2008, but the stats you gave are for 2007.

And I think a part time Chevy team has a better chance of making the field on speed than a full time Toyota team.

RaceFanStan
25th December 2007, 16:15
To fully understand the significance of the Car Of Tomorrow a person must 1st open their eyes ...

Key Factors regarding the Car Of Tomorrow :
1. the Car Of Tomorrow will be used at EVERY track in 2008 ...
no doubt as the season progresses the performance of the Car Of Tomorrow will improve ...

2. the Car Of Tomorrow levels the playing field by making the stockcar bodys identical ...
gone are the days of gaining an aero advantage by tweaking the body of a stockcar ...
NASCAR has strict guidelines for the stockcar body & they will see they are adhered to ...

3. the Car Of Tomorrow will make the races more about driver talent vs driver talent ...
this is a good thing as the cream will rise to the top with the stockcars being so similar ...

4. a driver can gain an advantage with the Car Of Tomorrow only by having more horsepower ...
however NASCAR will be keeping a close eye on the team's horsepower ...

5. Chassis set-ups will be quite limited in the range the teams can explore ...
strict rules are in place to prevent radical variances between the stockcars ...

NASCAR's goal for the Car Of Tomorrow was to make a safer car ...
NASCAR also wanted to keep the stockcars very closely matched ...
Rick Hendrick has the edge right now but Jack Roush & Joe Gibbs will be in hot pursuit.

you definately shouldn't under-estimate Toyota ...
with the Joe Gibbs' drivers the talent will be there, all they will need is some good horsepower ...
I do think Toyota will the find the horsepower during the off-season ...
look for the coach's drivers to put Toyota solidly into competition in 2008.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/hldy/Christmas/grin.gif

RaceFanStan
25th December 2007, 16:25
1. Well that's all fine and dandy for 2008, but the stats you gave are for 2007.

2. And I think a part time Chevy team has a better chance of making the field on speed than a full time Toyota team.
1. FYI the 1st 5 races of 2008 will use the final 2007 Owner's Points to set the top 35 starters.

2. No matter what you believe the fact remains that 5 Toyotas will start the 1st 5 races of 2008.
Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch & Denny Hamlin will be racing in 3 of those Toyotas.
I don't see a low budget Chevrolet being able to keep up with the Gibbs' Toyotas ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

harvick#1
26th December 2007, 00:15
To fully understand the significance of the Car Of Tomorrow a person must 1st open their eyes ...

Key Factors regarding the Car Of Tomorrow :
1. the Car Of Tomorrow will be used at EVERY track in 2008 ...
no doubt as the season progresses the performance of the Car Of Tomorrow will improve ...

2. the Car Of Tomorrow levels the playing field by making the stockcar bodys identical ...
gone are the days of gaining an aero advantage by tweaking the body of a stockcar ...
NASCAR has strict guidelines for the stockcar body & they will see they are adhered to ...

3. the Car Of Tomorrow will make the races more about driver talent vs driver talent ...
this is a good thing as the cream will rise to the top with the stockcars being so similar ...

4. a driver can gain an advantage with the Car Of Tomorrow only by having more horsepower ...
however NASCAR will be keeping a close eye on the team's horsepower ...

5. Chassis set-ups will be quite limited in the range the teams can explore ...
strict rules are in place to prevent radical variances between the stockcars ...

NASCAR's goal for the Car Of Tomorrow was to make a safer car ...
NASCAR also wanted to keep the stockcars very closely matched ...
Rick Hendrick has the edge right now but Jack Roush & Joe Gibbs will be in hot pursuit.

you definately shouldn't under-estimate Toyota ...
with the Joe Gibbs' drivers the talent will be there, all they will need is some good horsepower ...
I do think Toyota will the find the horsepower during the off-season ...
look for the coach's drivers to put Toyota solidly into competition in 2008.

although the CoT was suppose to help out smaller teams, I have only seen the complete opposite, since the bodies have to be the same, the big teams are not spending all their money on the most top notch equipment for the Suspension, engine, and interior. the teams with the small money can't take 6 cars to go test with 4 drivers, and learn multiple set-ups and shakedowns.

the CoT has helped to ruin racing, I see 2008 to be an absolute horrible year for Nascar and hopefully Brian and Todd will finally get run out of town

RaceFanStan
26th December 2007, 14:56
although the CoT was suppose to help out smaller teams, I have only seen the complete opposite ...
the teams with the small money can't take 6 cars to go test with 4 drivers, and learn multiple set-ups and shakedowns ...
harv, I have to agree that the big teams will get the most advantage with the COT. :s
Furthermore I think NASCAR's "excuse" that the COT would be less expensive was just hype. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
We may spend the whole 2008 season lamenting the advent of the COT.
The sad part is that it is here to stay even though it hasn't been completely developed.
2008 will be the year of fine-tuning the COT, the fans should expect changes to come often. :s

As always the big teams will be the most successful with getting the COT to perform.
I expect the small low budget teams will be struggling all of the 2008 season ... :s

Sparky1329
26th December 2007, 21:25
I've been lamenting the COT since it was first introduced. I have yet to see anything to convince me it's a good thing. It looks like a freakin' shoebox on wheels or flying brick as Smoke calls it and less like the actual road-ready model than the COY did. The racing hasn't improved either. The COT is Brian France's Edsel.