PDA

View Full Version : Another serious data loss

Dave B
23rd December 2007, 14:05
It's been announced that elves working in a Lapland factory have "mislaid" three CDs containing data about millions of small children.

A spokesman for the factory said that the children were not at risk of identity fraud, with the data limited to the childrens' names and addresses along with a marker flag to indicate whether they had been naughty or nice in the preceeding 12 months.

"We regret the loss of this data," said a Mr S. Claus. "I would like to reassure people that delivery of presents will not be affected by this incident, and would like to make it clear that we intend to instigate a full review to ensure procedures are tightened up in future."

Privacy campaigners have criticised the factory for storing personal data on unencryped CDs, and called for children to be allowed to opt-out of the database in future. A blithering whinging eejit commented "it's disgraceful that children as young as 1 year old are having their personal data processed in this way without any informed consent."

:p

airshifter
23rd December 2007, 17:08
Dave,

Should you have any way of making the contact, please ensure the Claus family that the data is in fact save.

I got them in the mail earlier today, with a note simply stating "Ferrari plans-forward to RD". They must have placed the childrens data in the wrong CD cases, which are being delivered to the copy shop from my understanding.

:laugh:

BTCC Fan#1
23rd December 2007, 18:04
In all seriousness this is becoming something of a farce in the UK now. New cases of woeful mishandling of personal data by government owned organisations are popping up virtually every day.

And just think, if Nu Labour get their way, in a few years time 49 pieces of really personal data for every single person in the country will all be gathered together in one vast 'unsinkable' database.. :s Seriously, what is the point of an ID card scheme if the government can't handle the existing systems?

inimitablestoo
24th December 2007, 16:27
It's been announced that elves working in a Lapland factory have "mislaid" three CDs containing data about millions of small children.

Damnit, I've been doing pretty much exactly this joke at work for the past few weeks, I knew I should have posted it here :p :

:D

Zico
24th December 2007, 17:00
In all seriousness this is becoming something of a farce in the UK now. New cases of woeful mishandling of personal data by government owned organisations are popping up virtually every day.

Im I the only one to find all these recent alleged data losses kinda strange considering it was virtually unheard of.. or at very least a low key issue previously? Too convenient for me..

And just think, if Nu Labour get their way, in a few years time 49 pieces of really personal data for every single person in the country will all be gathered together in one vast 'unsinkable' database.. :s Seriously, what is the point of an ID card scheme if the government can't handle the existing systems?

Precisely the reason they want us to believe that we'll need to have ID cards.. then when they are proved inadequate theres always the RFID chip?

Malbec
24th December 2007, 20:05
Im I the only one to find all these recent alleged data losses kinda strange considering it was virtually unheard of.. or at very least a low key issue previously? Too convenient for me..

Nope, its always been going on, just that the press didn't bother to pick up on it before.

The ID card is nothing, your entire medical records will be uploaded onto a single national database soon, only accessible to several hundred thousand people given access to it via the NHS.

Hazell B
26th December 2007, 22:30
Does anyone on here have a National Insurance bill sent annually? Mine arrives each December by the 13th and hasn't gotten here yet. Just wondering if it's yet another loss thing and I've missed it among all the others on the news :p :

Not that my information would be much use to anyone.
Not even S Claus :(