PDA

View Full Version : Chimps calculate as well as some uni students

Camelopard
18th December 2007, 10:51
Pinched from the ABC site in Australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/18/2122232.htm?section=justin

Chimps calculate as well as some uni students

Posted 1 hour 10 minutes ago
Researchers from Duke University in the United States have found that chimpanzees can perform mental addition as well as some university students.
The researchers tested 14 students and two chimps by flashing two sets of dots briefly on a computer screen, then getting them to pick the correct number from two choices on another screen.
The students were not allowed to verbalise their calculations.
Both chimps and humans typically answered within one second and with a similar level of accuracy.
The research follows the finding by Japanese researchers earlier this month that young chimpanzees performed better than human adults at a memory game.
- Reuters

Always said the period spent at university was a waste of time and money :) . Not very long I admit, most of the 'time' was spent in the uni bar.

leopard
18th December 2007, 11:01
The research follows the finding by Japanese researchers earlier this month that young chimpanzees performed better than human adults at a memory game.
at money game human adults usually perform better than chimp :)

Always said the period spent at university was a waste of time and money :) .
It'd be better spend more time on forum :)

Brown, Jon Brow
18th December 2007, 11:20
Yeah, but a Chimp couldn't even engineer an E-diff... ;)

Dave B
18th December 2007, 14:10
It'd be better spend more time on forum :)
Give an infinite number of forum members and infinite number of typewriters, and they'd still post bollocks about Spygate ;)

Drew
18th December 2007, 16:22
Yup, media studies students :p :

SEATFreak
18th December 2007, 16:59
Yeah, but a Chimp couldn't even engineer an E-diff... ;)

Your such a petrol head Jon!! :laugh:

Only a petrol head would say that! :laugh:

Though I cannot engineer and E-diff I once new a woman called Edith. Does that count? :laugh:

It is truly a dark day in my life when a Chimp proves itself brainier than me. :(

jso1985
18th December 2007, 23:17
Can chimps drink and chat chicks as well as some uni students?

I doubt it :D :p

Camelopard
19th December 2007, 00:19
Always said the period spent at university was a waste of time and money :) . Not very long I admit, most of the 'time' was spent in the uni bar.

I should clarify this, I meant ......'my' period spent at university.....

leopard
19th December 2007, 03:03
I should clarify this, I meant ......'my' period spent at university.....

Being skeptical over study at university is not a fault at all, I wish preferably be wiser for my kid's future to investing money and time at university.

19th December 2007, 04:35
Hey FREAK duz that account 4 u having a 2" peepee?

millencolin
19th December 2007, 11:03
i know a monkey could calculate better than me, a uni student... i failed high school maths. 2+2 =17?