PDA

View Full Version : Theorectically speaking...

Rollo
17th December 2007, 22:43
Who would we like to see in Formula One as either and engine supplier, chassis builder, combination thereof or whole car builder? Assuming a budget of £10zn* and a lead development time of nil.

Personally:
I think I'd like to see one of the aerospace comanies like Airbus, Boeing, BAE or Panavia have a go at building a chassis. Since F1 does require aerospace technology, how would they go at building a car?

In terms of engines - Subaru had possibly the worst F1 engine ever built (though they were sold a pup) and never even pre-qualified for a GP. I think if Subaru threw their hat in the ring, they'd have a very compotent engine very quickly.

And then there's GM. Call it an Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet/Holden/Cadillac I don't care, but GM have never really had much of a foray into F1. Technically they did own Lotus between 1986 and 1993 but it's hardly a real effort is it?
If GM bothered, then the amount of impetus they could generate would be huge.

*£10 zillion

ioan
17th December 2007, 23:07
Who would we like to see in Formula One as either and engine supplier, chassis builder, combination thereof or whole car builder? Assuming a budget of £10zn* and a lead development time of nil.

Personally:
I think I'd like to see one of the aerospace comanies like Airbus, Boeing, BAE or Panavia have a go at building a chassis. Since F1 does require aerospace technology, how would they go at building a car?

They might forget that downforce is needed instead of uplift.

In terms of engines - Subaru had possibly the worst F1 engine ever built (though they were sold a pup) and never even pre-qualified for a GP. I think if Subaru threw their hat in the ring, they'd have a very compotent engine very quickly.

Doubt it!
Why should they be better this time??? I don't get it.They don't even produce the best WRC cars. :rolleyes:

And then there's GM. Call it an Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet/Holden/Cadillac I don't care, but GM have never really had much of a foray into F1. Technically they did own Lotus between 1986 and 1993 but it's hardly a real effort is it?

Unless they want to become the new Toyota of F1!
They should stick to producing huge SUVs and Station Wagons.

Whom I would like to see in F1?

PORSCHE and AUDI!

jedii
17th December 2007, 23:43
humve! audi porsche, alfa maserati corvette

Valve Bounce
18th December 2007, 00:31
Two things come to mind here: getting aerospace companies to build F1 chassis would be like asking Rosenthal to manufacture paper cups.

And asking GM or Subaru to come up with an F1 car is like asking a paper cup manufacturer to produce Meisen Chrystal ware.

PSfan
18th December 2007, 01:39
What I would like to know is with the current engine freeze rules in place, how can a new manufacturer enter?

ioan
18th December 2007, 09:34
Two things come to mind here: getting aerospace companies to build F1 chassis would be like asking Rosenthal to manufacture paper cups.

And asking GM or Subaru to come up with an F1 car is like asking a paper cup manufacturer to produce Meisen Chrystal ware.

:rotflmao:

SteveA
18th December 2007, 10:55
humve! audi porsche, alfa maserati corvette

JCB ;)

AndyRAC
18th December 2007, 12:58

Personally:

*£10 zillion

GM don't seem to be interested in World level Motorsport, they'd rather stick to domestic racing series; BTCC, Aussie V8's,etc.Don't think they can afford it.

SGWilko
18th December 2007, 14:36
GM don't seem to be interested in World level Motorsport, they'd rather stick to domestic racing series; BTCC, Aussie V8's,etc.Don't think they can afford it.

GM's speciality is haemoraging money, entering F1 would result in a veritable Tsunami of cash exiting their bank of choice.

Easy Drifter
18th December 2007, 15:19
Lada

Valve Bounce
18th December 2007, 22:14
Lada

Good choice - at least you won't have to worry about slamming the doors shut!! :p :

Rollo
18th December 2007, 23:24
Did anyone actually read the opening paragraph to this?

Hmm....

Valve Bounce
18th December 2007, 23:39
Did anyone actually read the opening paragraph to this?

Hmm....

Yes!! I saw it Rollo. It was very inspirational. However, the rest of the post seemed to go downhill quite rapidly from there.

But to answer your opening paragraph, perhaps we could get Max to resurrect those March chassis, stuff those Cosworth Ford engines into them and race them around.

What do you think of that as a great idea?

airshifter
19th December 2007, 20:01
Some good suggestions so far, but I don't want to think about it too much.

When Toyota and Honda got into the sport I was sure they would be top level cars within a few years. No sense in getting my hopes up that someone else could do it much better. :laugh:

Ranger
21st December 2007, 02:05
You might get a few more Australian viewers if there was a Holden and a Ford F1 team. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing Peugeot have another crack, maybe going down the Renault way of doing things.

Audi* and Porsche would be good. :up:

* though we don't need another silver and red car on the grid

Valve Bounce
21st December 2007, 02:54
You might get a few more Australian viewers if there was a Holden and a Ford F1 team. :D

Wouldn't mind seeing Peugeot have another crack, maybe going down the Renault way of doing things.

Audi* and Porsche would be good. :up:

* though we don't need another silver and red car on the grid

OK!! the V8's will bring viewers who can identify with the brand of their family cars. But if either of these two Australian companies, or even the parent company in the USA starts to think of F1, they immediately contemplate economic hari kiri.

I think Rollo appears to be thinking of a giant company building some sort of customer cars with customer engines; and frankly while I think the idea has merit if the right company with the right engineering and F1 experience can be found, in reality the current customer car vis a vis the mysterious concord agreement means that it isn't going to be agreed on by certain teams if any of the current racers appear to be involved.

That is the sad state of affairs in F1 right now.