PDA

View Full Version : Pet Hates while Driving?

michael_is
17th December 2007, 12:34
The thread title speaks for itself, what's yours?

mine;
Tail-gaters - I tend to slow down if someone's up my arse
People who break constantly
Indicator system cancelling too early
People who signal left but turn right - vise-versa :eek:

Brown, Jon Brow
17th December 2007, 13:12
People who don't know when to use indicators. You get people who don't seem to know that their cars have indicators and some who use them willy-nilly.

My biggest pet hate are people in towns who go down the outside lane for turning right, then cut you up because there is a stopped car in their lane waiting to turn right. :mad:

GridGirl
17th December 2007, 13:25
A general inability to use indicators, especially when exiting islands is my biggest hate. Thats closely followed by 4x4 and taxi drivers who seen intent on trying to rub the paint off my rear bumper.

I do also dislike want to be boy racers who always want to race me. There really is no need to look at me while we're stopped at traffic lights or floor it when the lights go green because I'm never going to race you.

Daniel
17th December 2007, 13:38
A general inability to use indicators, especially when exiting islands is my biggest hate. Thats closely followed by 4x4 and taxi drivers who seen intent on trying to rub the paint off my rear bumper.

I do also dislike want to be boy racers who always want to race me. There really is no need to look at me while we're stopped at traffic lights or floor it when the lights go green because I'm never going to race you.
You asked for the silly stripes. You deal with the consequences ;)

I would post my hates but the forum can't deal with posts that long and will probably crash.

wedge
17th December 2007, 13:45
Middle-lane hoggers are my #1 pet hate. Conversely I now have a bad habit of undertaking.

9 times out of ten I can spot a gap in traffic to allow quicker cars through, and I quickly annoyed at cars who don't keep to the left earlier than they should.

I think I need to find a different job that doesn't involve commuting on motorways or dual carriageways!

GridGirl
17th December 2007, 13:56
Daniel, I didn't think about they boy racers when I chose them. I thought I was just matching my paint scheme with my Baggie Bird accessory. Its all about co-ordination you see. ;)

I also hate people who use their foglights when its not necessary. I really think I need to consult someone about my innner road rage. :s

Daniel
17th December 2007, 13:58
Daniel, I didn't think about they boy racers when I chose them. I thought I was just matching my paint scheme with my Baggie Bird accessory. Its all about co-ordination you see. ;)

I also hate people who use their foglights when its not necessary. I really think I need to consult someone about my innner road rage. :s
You should buy a green 406 :) I'll swap you. Problem solved.

The only problem with inner road rage is that it should be outward road rage :) Only then will people get it :p

Drew
17th December 2007, 16:42
People who drive along dual carriageways / motorways at 45mph, especially when it's just before your turn off.

People who do 40 / <40mph on country roads when there is no reason not to be going 60mph...

Drivers that tailgate you on a dual carriageway when there's another lane to overtake you in, idiots...

Allyc85
17th December 2007, 16:55
Where do I start lol.

40mph in a 60 then keep doing it in a 30!
People with fog lights on when the weathers clear
People who dont indicate, or do at the last second which is pointless
People on their mobiles
People that stop at traffic lights 1 inch from my bumper!

Me, im a perfect driver ;) :D

jim mcglinchey
17th December 2007, 18:29
You're first to stop at a set of lights. Why is it that 9 times out of 10 the car that pulls up beside you will stay half a cars length behind? Is it some insecure thing where they dont want to be level with another driver. Sometimes I reverse so as to get behind them then I win.

Easy Drifter
17th December 2007, 19:29
Left foot brakers who have their foot hovering over the pedal. Brake lights keep flashing on especially on highways. You don't know if they are really braking or not.
Ones who put the brakes on and then 100 yds. later signal a turn.
Tailgaters when there is no where for anybody to go.
The ones who will not dim their high beams.
Many years ago we had a rally VW. Standard lights not great so people ignored you flashing the high beams at them. Then the 3 driving lights would come on, one at time as we had a switch for each. Only twice had to use the windshield mounted adjustable spotlight. That worked as the beam searched them out.

306 Cosworth
19th December 2007, 19:44
Here's my list of pet hates of todays Knob Head Drivers!
Having fog lights on when the weather is clear
Tailgaters, if I have someone up my arse I slow down or just rest my left foot on the brake that scares them!
Middle Land Drivers on M-Way!(This one really annoys me, got so fed up with it once when I was on the inside with a completely clear inside lane I undertook just to show my point which is abit naughty but it had to be done!)
People who don't do the speed limit (either too fast in 30 or too slow in 60!)
People who don't indicate (usually get the horn and hand gestures from me :p : )

now is it me or is it really not hard to do the sensible thing (well I suppose it must be with the amount of $hit drivers about!)

jim mcglinchey
22nd December 2007, 12:04
Heres the other thing about queues at lights. Why do some drivers stop a whole cars length from the red light and wait there until theres a queue behind them and then, lights still red now, move upto the stop line. Whats that about?

Easy Drifter
22nd December 2007, 17:57
The stopping well back at a light is taught at some defensive driving schools in Canada. The theory being if some idiot isn't able to stop in time you can move forward safely without entering the intersection to avoid or lessen the impact. Why they would move forward before the light changes is anybody's guess though.

Mark
22nd December 2007, 18:22
You dont't have to wait for a lot of cars behind you, just one. It ensures nobody is going to run into the back of you at the lights. another thing is to keep your foot on the brake to show your brake lights to the driver behind.

Simmi
22nd December 2007, 19:47
I never understand why people will pull out on you with all the speed of an F1 car off the line but then drive slowly and hold you up once they are in front of you.

Tailgating at night is probably the worst thing. I dont know if it's just me but when the light is in your mirrors I end up concentrating on that more then the road. A lot of modern headlights are stupidly bright too just to make things worse.

Erki
22nd December 2007, 23:59
People that stop at traffic lights 1 inch from my bumper!

Why is that bad? Assuming you're not on a hill.

You dont't have to wait for a lot of cars behind you, just one. It ensures nobody is going to run into the back of you at the lights. another thing is to keep your foot on the brake to show your brake lights to the driver behind.

Do you sit behind the traffic lights, clutch down, first gear in, sight firmly set in mirrors, waiting for the next car to arrive? :)
And what's the brake light thing? Again, assuming you're not in the dark and you're the last car in the row. When I'm on even surface, I usually don't hold my foot on brake and burn my brake lights, no need to...

Get yourself some stress balls, people. They're useful. Just look at me. :angel:

Allyc85
23rd December 2007, 16:39

Because they could very easily roll into the back of my car or their foot might slip off the clutch. Having a gap means theyve got a chance to stop before they hit me.

Daniel
23rd December 2007, 16:40
For me it's simply a matter of personal space.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd December 2007, 16:44

Because if they get hit from behind they will go into your car as well. My driving instructor taught me to stop far enough from the car in front that you can see their tyres.

Drew
23rd December 2007, 16:57
Because if they get hit from behind they will go into your car as well. My driving instructor taught me to stop far enough from the car in front that you can see their tyres.

Mine too, then you can also pullout and overtake should they break down :)

Erki
23rd December 2007, 17:57
Because they could very easily roll into the back of my car or their foot might slip off the clutch. Having a gap means theyve got a chance to stop before they hit me.

I don't press clutch when I'm in Neutral. ;)

Good point. I'll keep this one in mind. :up:

Erki
23rd December 2007, 17:59
Mine too, then you can also pullout and overtake should they break down :)

I would give them a tow from behind. Why leave a car stranded on a street?

Daniel
23rd December 2007, 18:03
The thing is Eki. What reason is there to be ultra close to the car in front? There are so many reasons not to be close to the car in front but seemingly no reason to be close to it. Has anyone here ever let the clutch out while in gear with the handbrake or footbrake on? I know I have a couple of times and If I was only a few cm from the car in front I would have hit them. Now of course it's no one elses fault but my own that I forgot the car was in gear but taking a bit more care meant I just stalled and went forward slightly rather than hitting the other car up the backside.

Erki
23rd December 2007, 18:33
The thing is Eki. What reason is there to be ultra close to the car in front?
Why not? :p

There are so many reasons not to be close to the car in front but seemingly no reason to be close to it. Has anyone here ever let the clutch out while in gear with the handbrake or footbrake on? I know I have a couple of times and If I was only a few cm from the car in front I would have hit them. Now of course it's no one elses fault but my own that I forgot the car was in gear but taking a bit more care meant I just stalled and went forward slightly rather than hitting the other car up the backside.

I know, I've done it a few times myself too. :)

But I don't "hate" it when people stop very close to my backside.

slinkster
23rd December 2007, 19:05
- People who can't be arsed to indiciate are infuriating, particularly at roundabouts.

- People who drive along with their fog lights on when there's absolutely NO sign of fog.

-tail gaters

- People who dip their headlights far too late (AFTER you've been temporarily blinded)... or don't even bother at all.

Drew
23rd December 2007, 19:56
I would give them a tow from behind. Why leave a car stranded on a street?

Are you going to tow them to the other side of town, then? Then drive back there and then to where ever you were going?

Indicating seems to be different in different parts of the country. In Devon, Cornwall and North Wales it seems people don't really indicate at all or only if it's necessary, but most other places people get ratty if you don't. I found that out in Evesham, lol.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd December 2007, 21:21
Has anyone here ever let the clutch out while in gear with the handbrake or footbrake on? .

I've done that about three times in the last few weeks, each time on a frosty morning when my car is frozen over. The sequence is start the engine into gear, heater onto full, rear window heater on, pick up scraper and de-icer, hop out to scrap the windsree.........oh bugger :dozey:

Mark
23rd December 2007, 21:58
Yes I do keep an eye on my mirror when stopped at the lights. Why not? You can take the additude of "I can't be bothered" with many things in driving but it doesn't mean you should.

Erki
23rd December 2007, 22:15
Are you going to tow them to the other side of town, then? Then drive back there and then to where ever you were going?

No, I would tow them to some side street or someplace where they can park and try to repair the car or wait for assistance.

J4MIE
24th December 2007, 02:13
Yes I do keep an eye on my mirror when stopped at the lights. Why not? You can take the additude of "I can't be bothered" with many things in driving but it doesn't mean you should.

I do the same whenever stopped, unless the traffic light has been at red for a particularly long time :mad:

The other thing that is really annoying me at the moment is my mum's car horn, I think I have worn it out :angryfire

leopard
24th December 2007, 07:39
1. Those who turn the horn loudly on while he knew there is not any space left to move on in a traffic jam.

2. Those who change the horn other than standard, like dog's bark, cow or anything.

3. Those who stay throughout the median while don't have any speed to go faster.

4. Those who try to get pass from inside.

5. My car's speed which lets mostly car on the road passed me by :\

Erki
24th December 2007, 11:57
The other thing that is really annoying me at the moment is my mum's car horn, I think I have worn it out :angryfire

Must be a hardcore traffic in Scotland then. I have never used the horn on any car. :\

NinjaMaster
4th January 2008, 10:56
My pet hate is boofheads who don't are jealous of motorcyclists lanesplitting that they feel the need to move over so the rider can't fit trough the gap. The fact that it causes the driver no inconvenience and actually helps to alleviate traffic snarls is obviously completely over their head. Morons. :mad:
Other than that, I particularly dislike people who can't/won't do the speed limit and/or indicate before they turn.

Daniel
4th January 2008, 11:38
I hate people who lane split through fast moving traffic.

Drew
4th January 2008, 15:14
I hate people who lane split through fast moving traffic.

What do you mean?

I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Daniel
4th January 2008, 16:09
What do you mean?

I don't think I've ever seen that before.
People on motorbikes going up the middle when traffic is moving at speed. This is illegal in Australia and I suspect would also be illegal here :)

4th January 2008, 18:31
Pet Hates While Driving.

Isn't that some kind of Nazi Circus routine?

GridGirl
4th January 2008, 19:15
Another pet hate of mine is people who can't park or won't park properly. I really hate people who straddle parking bays so just when you think you have got a space on a busy Saturday afternoon you find someone is just too plain lazy to park in an actual space. I also get annoyed by people who think they can parallel park but 10 attempts or so later on what should be a really easy manouver and still haven't got it anywhere close to being parked.

Drew
4th January 2008, 19:27
People on motorbikes going up the middle when traffic is moving at speed. This is illegal in Australia and I suspect would also be illegal here :)

Ahh, I have never seen that happen before, but it's probably illegal or comes under dangerous driving.

ArrowsFA1
7th January 2008, 12:52
People who don't anticipate or prepare for what's ahead. As far as they're concerned the only car to worry about is the one immediately in front of them :dozey:

People who stop at a roundabout when they don't need to (anticipation again!) :dozey:

People who religiously stick to the lower speed limits but not the higher ones (pootling along the am commute along a 60mph route at 40 drives me nuts!!) :dozey:

Mark
7th January 2008, 13:03
People who religiously stick to the lower speed limits but not the higher ones (pootling along the am commute along a 60mph route at 40 drives me nuts!!) :dozey:

Not sure what you are getting at here. Personally I stick to the lower speed limits 30, 40 etc, but if it's NSL then I don't mind breaking it. But that's not the same as doing 40 in a 60? :confused:

wedge
7th January 2008, 13:03
Ahh, I have never seen that happen before, but it's probably illegal or comes under dangerous driving.

It happens quite a bit on motorways. Bikers on their supersports/superbikes who want to get their kicks at doing 150mph and dodging traffic at the same time.

There are riders who prefer passing on the inside and cut back to the outside lane. Personally I don't mind this if they have their lights on.

ArrowsFA1
7th January 2008, 13:22
Not sure what you are getting at here...
It's just a bugbear I have driving to work. Although we leave a 40mph zone and can go 60, we're lucky if we hit 42 :p

306 Cosworth
7th January 2008, 13:57
Same as Arrows, on the way to college, it's just annoying the people do 40 in a 30 then we head into a 60 and they're still doing 40! God knows what they're like on a M-Way :s

SEATFreak
7th January 2008, 17:10
Like I mentioned in the "What's your most hated thing on the road?" thread one things that gets to me are the cars that the boy racers that annoys GridGirl drive. Particularly the music that blares out from the sub woofers.

I always thought subwoofers were the sound dogs make when they ride on the London Underground. Till I saw one in Halfords. Then I realised the one in Halfords looked like a drum taken from a knackered old washing machine which was encased in plastic and spray painted.

schmenke
7th January 2008, 18:18
Tailgaters.
Drivers in the passing lane.
Drivers jabbering on their mobile.
Drivers who seem to think that indicating is optional.

Erki
11th January 2008, 20:29
I rather dislike it when the wipers are full of melting snow and you have a windscreen full of snow too. ;)

@J4MIE: I finally used my horn some days ago! :hot: Darn village dogs who don't want to move off the road even when they can very well see a car in front of them. :devil: (It was a cute doggy though. They all are. :) )

btcc-thunder
26th January 2008, 23:00
- people who brake for speed cameras when they're allready 10mph below the limit
- fog lights on without any fog
- headlights that are too bright
- those people who look right on a roundabout, see me coming towards them and still pull out anyway
- people who meander along, crawl to a near stop and then put their indicator on, if you're lost, pullover and look at a map!

raybak
28th January 2008, 10:17
I knew a guy whoused to drive at 80kmh in a 110kmh zone but still do 80 in a 60 zone. He didn't know any other speed, total ****er.

Ray

jim mcglinchey
28th January 2008, 10:40
idiots who cant read the sign telling you when a bus lane is operating, then they swerve in and out to avoud entering the bus lane when its not even on.

Mark
28th January 2008, 11:08
Bus lanes can be tricky, sometimes they have times on but if they are 24 hour they don't have times on at all, quite often they go from limited time to 24 hour with only a little sign with no writing to indicate the change.

Erki
28th January 2008, 20:05
From tomorrow on, I won't stop only a few inches from the car in front of me any more. Got a new old car for work and this one has a totally ****ed gearbox/gear lever so I have not much idea whether a gear is engaged or not. Gonna be a fun 200 kilometres tomorrow indeed. :\

speedy king
28th January 2008, 21:52
Ok Ladies and Gents...

*People who have No Consideration for cars behind, braking at the last second in traffic, not thinking about the possible pile up behind...

*People who are too busy staring in to Jewlerry shops in town rather than infront at MY CAR 20 meters up parallel parking in the high street (personal moment there from the past almost resulted in my car being made a BMW Astra)

*People who insist on almost pushing your rear bumper at junctions and lights, espicially on hills.

*People who poodle through traffic lights so only THEY make the green light no one else behind.

*People who do 40mph no matter what the speed limit, hello National speedlimit sign was 200 meters back, try the right pedal!!

*People who brake THEN indicate, isnt it ment to be the other way round? INDICATE before you manouver???

*Citroen Picasso Drivers

*People who hog the fast lane at 60mph and leave me no other option but to undertake...

*People who speed up when you overtake in the fast lane

*Indecisive drivers pulling on to roundabouts, who accelerate, cross the white line then OH MY GOD theres a car coming on from 2 junctions away, EMERGENCY STOP, i dont want my car redesigned at the rear by the traffic behind me and i dont want to do it to yours either!!!

*Prats in 4x4's who tailgate and then try to intimidate you as they have a bull bar, back off **** i will only get SLOWER

*People who dont move out of the slow lane over in to the fast lane when its clear and your trying to rejoin duel carriageway from a petrol station OR junction (seen 4 nasty and fatal accidents on the A11, one last week because of this from what i could tell)

*People who just seem to fail all together in speeding up joining duel carriageway from a slip road

*People on their mobile phones, especially txting. Also although its legal, dont like seeing people smoking while driving

*Myself :p :

Drew
29th January 2008, 12:54
Bus lanes can be tricky, sometimes they have times on but if they are 24 hour they don't have times on at all, quite often they go from limited time to 24 hour with only a little sign with no writing to indicate the change.

I didn't even know that bus lanes had hours of operations, I'll have to have a look next time I drive in Plymouth.

rwssport
29th January 2008, 13:24
1) People who don't know what give way lines are for - especially at the roundabout at the end of my road. The number of times I have been in the middle of the junction and had a near miss.
2) Foglights used when there is the slightest bit of mist.
3) Cyclist in Glasgow - they seem to have no idea what traffic lights are for - they are either road users or they're not. This also means they shouldn't used predestrian precincts.
4) People who sit at traffic lights and only when they move do they indicate they are about to turn right. Thats bearable of there is no oncoming traffic but more often than not there is loads.
5) People who indicate one junction too early - notorious is the junction of Cathedral Street and North Frederick Place... really really annoys me.
6) People who slow down, especially mid corner without using their brakes. Okay if there is a car in front I will see their lights but when there is nothing in front its a pain.
7) Tailgaters and midlane hoggers
8) Those that drive above a speed that it is safe to do so even if that speed is still below the limits. Had a few occassions on the motorway when I could barely see past the front of my bonnet and cars were passing me at the limit.

Mark
29th January 2008, 13:50
* People in heavy traffic on the motorway who won't leave a gap to let you join. Yes, legally you don't have to, but it's only common courtesy.

* The opposite of the above where they do an emergency stop on the motorway just because your on the slip road :s

* People who don't know that zip merge is one car at a time, if one car has merged you wait until behind the next one, you do not push in!

* People who's driving is so bad that they are braking at the very same point I would be foot to the floor :s

Erki
29th January 2008, 14:27
Running out of fuel twice in one day. :s

jim mcglinchey
31st January 2008, 13:31
This is especially prevalent on Radio 2 but it probably applies elsewhere. You know when people phone in to the traffic reporter to warn of traffic jams, and instead of just giving their name as John or Dave etc , they give really stupid nicknames like Spongebob Square Pants, but the worst ones are Dereks Dad, or Annes Auntie or Bens Brother ad nauseum, that is ssooo played out.

Erki
31st January 2008, 13:54
Ok, I've got one. I really hate it when I'm on a really narrow road and another car comes and doesn't keep to the edge of the road when it passes me. Happened to me today and I had to drive onto the kerb. :angryfire :

F1nostalgic
1st February 2008, 13:51
Motoring pet hates, I have a few. :mad:

There are those Citroen Picassos and the people carriers, they look silly. :rolleyes:
Tailgaters, even seeing the word makes me want to go mad at them. :mad:
Indicators which cancel early but when you forget to turn them off, they stay on. :o
People that slip out in front of you on a road then they proceed to drive slow!
People that drive slowly and then they speed up on a road with a speed limit!

Thats just the beginning!

Abo
2nd February 2008, 19:20
Mobile phoners, some **** was texting behind me today...

Middle lane hoggers

Blocking the outside lane at roadworks, to prevent 'queue jumping' I guess. All it does is **** up zip merging and doubles the length of the queue causing problems at e.g. roundabouts back down the line. Even worse when there are signs saying 'use both lanes' and 'merge in turn'

10 mile lorry overtakes

Doddering pensioners doing 40 on dual carriageways, causing chaos

Abo
2nd February 2008, 19:22
People that slip out in front of you on a road then they proceed to drive slow!

I used to get that a lot when I had my Zafira. I guess people think 'uh oh, people carrier, must get out in front of them'. Only mine was the GSi with 200bhp.

Strangely, I don't get it as often since I swapped for a Vectra, or when I'm driving my 306...

Abo
2nd February 2008, 19:23

And people who do 40 everywhere, regardless of what the posted limit is...

Drew
2nd February 2008, 22:55
Ok, I've got one. I really hate it when I'm on a really narrow road and another car comes and doesn't keep to the edge of the road when it passes me. Happened to me today and I had to drive onto the kerb. :angryfire :

:up: Horrendous round here with tourists or mums on the school run!

Mark
3rd February 2008, 09:04
Really slow lorries that pull out in front of you and then do 20mph. Thet could have waited 30 more seconds and I would have been gone!

cosmicpanda
3rd February 2008, 11:50
I particularly dislike people driving in the middle of the road rather than sticking to their lane.

I live on a narrow road, on one side there's the harbour and on the other a steep hill. I came around a blind bend once (there's even a centreline) and I found an idiot in an SUV happily straddling both lanes driving towards me.

I still don't know how we didn't crash...

Erki
3rd February 2008, 12:33
I particularly dislike people driving in the middle of the road rather than sticking to their lane.

I live on a narrow road, on one side there's the harbour and on the other a steep hill. I came around a blind bend once (there's even a centreline) and I found an idiot in an SUV happily straddling both lanes driving towards me.

I still don't know how we didn't crash...

I tend to drive in the middle of the road on straight sections. Some road here are such that when I drive on the right, I tilt to the right side and I like to keep my head straight. :p

cosmicpanda
3rd February 2008, 22:26
That would be alright, since you could see if anyone's coming your way.

Driving in the middle of the road around a blind bend is stupid...

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 15:49
People who are talking with mobile phones during driving. If I see one of those idiots near me again, I will bash him.

People who cannot park. Recently, I was ready to park when there was a woman there struggling to park. For 5-6 minutes she kept trying to park, but was unable. Just ridicolous. I had tears in my eyes from laughing and thought about going there and helping her.

Boyracers who think they are so great drivers, yet first sign of ice and they are in the wall and looking like morons.