PDA

View Full Version : Scott Sharp Leaving IRL, Moving to ALMS

Jag_Warrior
16th December 2007, 06:19
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/indycar/auto/42117/

The last original Indy Racing League driver is heading for sports cars. SPEEDTV.com has learned that Scott Sharp is taking his Patron sponsorship to Highcroft Racing in the American Le Mans series for 2008.

It seems odd that Sharp/Patron would leave Rahal for ALMS P2, when rumors have Rahal heading for ALMS P2. :confused:

Lousada
16th December 2007, 12:32
Isn't Highcroft the team of his father-in-law?

Jag_Warrior
16th December 2007, 17:06
I believe his father-in-law, Greg Pickett, owns the CytoSport team. Highcroft is Duncan Dayton's team, with Danny Sullivan in a support role.

As for Rahal, he's been floating rumors of an ALMS prototype or GT1 effort for what, five years or so? As have others in the past, I guess Sharp (finally) wised up to Bobby's bluster about what he was going to do, when it didn't match up to what he seemed to be doing.

If Bobby does manage a P2 ALMS effort (with Ethanol), I wonder where the funds will come from to run the IRL next season? Or was Scott's assertion correct, in that RLR seemed to be getting set to take a powder in the IRL?

Chamoo
16th December 2007, 20:58
If Bobby does manage a P2 ALMS effort (with Ethanol), I wonder where the funds will come from to run the IRL next season?

Tony will unfortunately foot the bill for the second RLR car since they already have the Ethanol funding. Mr. George won't want to lose Rahal and Letterman, they are two big name owners in his league.

Dr. Pitpass
16th December 2007, 23:08
Its pretty obvious Patron wanted out of the IRL, IRL fans don't drink Patron. Sports car people do. Scott wanted out also, open wheel cars on ovals is just plain stupid. This is bad news for the IRL no matter how you look at it.
Even the IRL's new welfare program can't keep people from leaving.

Champcar4life
17th December 2007, 00:18
He is one of the drivers in the IRL that I kinda like and if am right his background is road racing, so it will be kinda like returning too his roots, but I heard a rumor that RLR was coming too Champcar and Scott was not happy about that and opt for ALMS, which I say is a rumor and there is no proof outside of it been a rumor.

Speeds up for Corners
17th December 2007, 00:19
Tony will unfortunately foot the bill for the second RLR car since they already have the Ethanol funding. Mr. George won't want to lose Rahal and Letterman, they are two big name owners in his league.

If Scott's claims about Rahal wanting to leave the IRL are true, there may not be a RLR team next year.

Chamoo
17th December 2007, 17:35
If Scott's claims about Rahal wanting to leave the IRL are true, there may not be a RLR team next year.

Letterman would leave? Or stay behind?

Also, Bobby has no real reason to stay in the IRL at the moment. He only has one sponsor.

Absorbine III
18th December 2007, 04:09
Patron may be gone. But not to worry, fans. I*L marketing genius Gene Simmons has already made overtures to MTV's Tila Tequila about coming on board.

Chamoo
18th December 2007, 05:09
Patron may be gone. But not to worry, fans. I*L marketing genius Gene Simmons has already made overtures to MTV's Tila Tequila about coming on board.

Sad part is it's probably true.

Civic
18th December 2007, 08:14
That would be weird if Rahal went from Patron to Tila. It would be like Ganassi changing sponsors from Target to Walmart, or AGR going from Motorola to Nokia (though Kanaan's #11 car had Pepsi as an associate sponsor in 03, and Coke as an associate sponsor in 04).

DanicaFan
18th December 2007, 09:26
I dont like seeing Scott Sharp leaving myself.

CCFanatic
18th December 2007, 20:44

It's offical. He is gone.

Jag_Warrior
19th December 2007, 02:32

I don't think Bobby Rahal or his crew liked seeing $cott $harp leave either.

weeflyonthewall
19th December 2007, 08:15
Its pretty obvious Patron wanted out of the IRL, IRL fans don't drink Patron. Sports car people do. Scott wanted out also, open wheel cars on ovals is just plain stupid. This is bad news for the IRL no matter how you look at it.
Even the IRL's new welfare program can't keep people from leaving.

B I N G O !

weeflyonthewall
19th December 2007, 08:17

The Bobby bandwagon is losing seats fast.

Chaparral66
4th January 2008, 03:32
The Bobby bandwagon is losing seats fast.

You don't think Rahal/Letterman would consider competing in ALMS, and take advantage of their good relationship with Honda?

Speeds up for Corners
4th January 2008, 17:37
You don't think Rahal/Letterman would consider competing in ALMS, and take advantage of their good relationship with Honda?

Bobby already has a GT2 Porsche team in the ALMS, and I have read rumors that he may want to move up to P2 in a Porsche. Which could explain why he is on the outs with Honda. The ALMS officials said they expected two IRL teams to field Porsche P2 teams in '08. I could see Bobby being one of them.

Wraith
29th January 2008, 04:04
Scott wanted out also, open wheel cars on ovals is just plain stupid.

Instead of, what, getting his ass handed to him on the road and street courses? Sharp leaving will mean a better driver coming along.

It sounds ruthless, but I've decided to look at this from a sheer competition perspective: Sharp, for all his smiles and sponsorship connections (supposedly) didn't produce. I will say this again: Scott Sharp was not and is not good enough to race with success in open-wheel cars. Makes me sad to say that...but tough, it's the God's-honest truth.

mark123
29th January 2008, 22:18
scott was not strong on the road courses (& got shown up by his new team mate) which is why its surprising that he has gone to a series racing on road courses. i agree that he will be no majort loss to the series. there are a lot of very good drivers coming through IPS to replace him