PDA

View Full Version : The Future of NASCAR (as predicted 7 years ago).

call_me_andrew
13th December 2007, 03:46
I mentioned this in an earlier thread. This is from a pamphlet NASCAR published during the 2000 season. It's also chuck full of Winston ads that really crank up the nostalga.

Those who simply marvel at how far the sport’s come in the past 51 years will be amazed that those planning for the future believe the best is yet to come.

Other advances will benefit fans both young and old alike. NASCAR plans to unveil its own 24-hour-a-day television channel in the future and will also make great advances to its Internet presence, all to give the fan a better feel for the sport.

Drivers and teams won’t be left out, either, as virtual race tracks and lab testing will give teams the opportunity to test in an easier, less-expensive fashion.

“I think you will see a shift towards more lab testing and improvements in analytical tools,” said Greg Specht, Ford’s manager of racing operations for North America. “Design simulation also offers big advantages. If we can simulate car designs with out building and testing prototypes, it will be much faster and less expensive for teams.”

Specht can also see the day when virtual race tracks allow a team to run a complete event on any given track with out starting the engine.

“They were able to fly the first 777 air-plane with the help of simulation,” Specht said. “I see more and more of that technology moving into motor sports.”

In some respects, today’s drivers aren’t looking forward to major changes as much as the addition of some of the smaller creature comforts. In a perfect world, their cars will have air conditioning and stereos.

Buckshot Jones is one who can’t wait to be a cooler driver around the track.

“The heat just takes so much out of you, and you sweat away so much energy,” Jones said. “That’s why you see more and more guys paying attention to what they eat and working out to stay in shape.”

Kenny Wallace will settle for the heat, if he can have al little music while he races.

“For me it would be a 10-disc CD changer loaded with Aerosmith CDs,” Wallace said. “That way, when were on a caution lap or something, I could sit back and relax.”

With the advances planned for the future, NASCAR fans will be able to relax while having more fun than ever before.

Well I think it's safe to say that the 7-post shaker has replaced the expense of testing. It's a shame no one's looking that close at air conditioning anymore. Drivers shouldn't have to be bothered by physical challenges while they're in the middle of proving themselves athletes.