PDA

View Full Version : When Did the Quality of a Mechanic .. . .

Jaws
13th December 2007, 01:21
Become Correlated with the Cleanliness of his Garage Floor?

They guy I take my car to is always having someone sweep his floors and he goes off his trolley if the floor gets dirty.

Why?

millencolin
13th December 2007, 02:46
because people dont realise that a quality mechanic is a person who can spot problems with your car and fix them, and one that doesn't make up false problems and charges you $1.73million to fix the false problem.

But people see clenliness as a sign of quality. Think about it, would you rather buy your food, clothes and other materials from a clean, well presented store, or one with crap and dirt all over the place. It's just a bit of marketing. Most people wouldnt know the difference between one mechanics service rfom another, so why not take it to the cleaner, therfore (seemingly to be the) higher quality mechanic?

jso1985
13th December 2007, 02:57
if the floor isn't clean, probably evryone will note how crap of a mechanic he is ;)

Mark
13th December 2007, 08:16
Look at F1 factories, is there any dirt there? Nope they are absolutely spotless ;)

It's a correlation thing, people thing that if you can't be arsed to take good care of your working environment, which you spend all your time in, then you won't take good care of the customers car either.

leopard
13th December 2007, 08:28
Come to reparation shop specialized in 80s car and older, you may find leakage of oil and dirty everywhere :\

Magnus
13th December 2007, 15:16
****! I have to clean my workshop :(

Drew
13th December 2007, 16:48
Does he also have somebody to give him pedicures and manicures?

:p :

airshifter
13th December 2007, 18:59
Come to reparation shop specialized in 80s car and older, you may find leakage of oil and dirty everywhere :\

Which is probably one reason a mechanic would want to keep his work area clean!

I wasn't a mechanic at the time, but had to get stitches in my head after slipping on some slick stuff on the floor, and banging my head into the bottom support part of a lift.

Easy Drifter
13th December 2007, 20:02
Oil and grease left on the floor not only can lead to accidents but lawsuits and Govt. sanctions under various safety laws.
Now we take our filthy bench top with tools spread out all over. The very one you need is somewhere in that mess so you shuffle stuff around till you find it. Of course the helper is using the grinder right beside the bench. Meanwhile the set of nice new shiny rod bearings about to be installed gets covered in cr--. Oh well slap them in anyway. Can't waste time cleaning up and besides they will probably last till my 10 and 10 warranty expires. (10 feet or 10 seconds whichever comes first.)
If we got too many tools on the go in the race shop a halt was called until everything was put away including the 9/16th in your hand you needed next. :cool:

drew3007
14th December 2007, 19:37
I was a mechanic in an independent Porsche shop and believe me, no one left until the floors were swept and trash cans emptied. If there was even a chance that any fluid was going to leak on the floor, a pan was put down. If a pan wasn't there and something leaked on the floor, work stopped until it was cleaned up and pan put down. The shop is one of the most reputable in the state and being clean and orderly is something our customers always complimented us on, as well as our work. I think a clean shop and quality work goes hand in hand.

SubaruNorway
15th December 2007, 18:11
Not easy to keep the floor clean when the cars are full of ****!