PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR on NASN-Sky-FOX etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

colinspooky
12th December 2007, 14:33
Guess it's time for us English to start pounding the UK broadcasters to show the races lives in England and on Virgin Media.

Or does anyone have any news already on what coverage there will be.

And I am not talking about the Five highlights, good as that is.

Proper flag to flag live coverage. I like TVU but it does get a little blurry sometimes.

:D

RaikkonenRules
12th December 2007, 16:15
nascar.com has live coverage of most of the Nationwide series races and it's completely free :D .

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
12th December 2007, 16:43
Im gonna write a letter explaining to NASN i want the racing coverage confirmed asap. Im not going through the same **** as last February. i could have killed someone.

gary_580
12th December 2007, 22:48
Im gonna write a letter explaining to NASN i want the racing coverage confirmed asap. Im not going through the same **** as last February. i could have killed someone.

NASN Limited have informed OFCOM that the no longer need the NASN licence, im assuming this is because ESPN have a licence, but i couldnt find any evidence

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/tvlicensing/tvupdates/monthly/200710

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
13th December 2007, 10:30
So i take it from that then that NASN will be rebranded/relaunched as ESPN.

wedge
13th December 2007, 13:04
Guess it's time for us English to start pounding the UK broadcasters to show the races lives in England and on Virgin Media.

Or does anyone have any news already on what coverage there will be.

And I am not talking about the Five highlights, good as that is.

Proper flag to flag live coverage. I like TVU but it does get a little blurry sometimes.

:D

Hopefully Five will show the Daytona 500 again for us cheapskate fans

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
13th December 2007, 13:22
Hopefully Five will show the Daytona 500 again for us cheapskate fans

Thats great but i really have to see races live. Its not the same (i dont know why) watching it delayed.

SOD
13th December 2007, 16:59
So i take it from that then that NASN will be rebranded/relaunched as ESPN.

yup, they are

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
14th December 2007, 15:07
I sent NASN customer "support" if they knew anything about NASCAR for next season and as of yet ive had no reply.

Simmi
14th December 2007, 17:20
Does anyone have any good sites that stream races live? I think such sites exist but I'm not sure. PM me maybe if they shouldnt be broadcast on the forum. Cheers.

pentti
14th December 2007, 19:19
I just spoke with NASN.Very professional lady assured me that Nascar racing will be shown again 2008. Christmas came early to me. Also they reduced my fee by £5,- a month.

SOD
14th December 2007, 19:42
I just spoke with NASN.Very professional lady assured me that Nascar racing will be shown again 2008. Christmas came early to me. Also they reduced my fee by £5,- a month.

did they offer you a commentary job? ;)

pentti
14th December 2007, 20:56
did they offer you a commentary job? ;)

I do not think my finglish is good enough. Also I am very happy with americans.

colinspooky
16th December 2007, 17:22
Penti - while you were talking to them, did the you ask the important question I had in the start of the thread?

Specifically, will NASN/ESPN be showing it to ALL Brits, even those on Virgin Media in England?

:eek:

Speedworx
16th December 2007, 20:09
Just scrap Virgin Media and get Sky!

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
17th December 2007, 10:37

Good job, was gonna phone them today. I can now sleep at night.

pentti
17th December 2007, 13:12
Penti - while you were talking to them, did the you ask the important question I had in the start of the thread?

Specifically, will NASN/ESPN be showing it to ALL Brits, even those on Virgin Media in England?

:eek: Sorry.No. She knew I was Sky customer.

ghostdancing
2nd January 2008, 09:34
Hi all

Not been on here since August, went on Holiday, and forgot about this place.

Anyways.

I phones Sentanta, and asked if they wil be showing the full Sprint NASCAR 2008 season on Sky channel 434 this year from start to finish.

They said 'YES'.

Then I asked for a reduction in my subscription, to match the £10 others pay to watch idiots chase a football around a park.

And they said 'YES', reducing it to £9.95 per month.

Wow, is this the same Sentanta I called this time last year, and nearly lost my sanity.

So far 2008 has been going well.

colinspooky
3rd January 2008, 15:28
driving me mad - still can't find out if Virgin is out in the cold again this year. How can it be so hard

FeeWaybill
4th January 2008, 17:24
Last year I made do with channel 5 highlights but this year i'd like to follow much more if i can. I am a sky customer, can anyone steer me in the right direction, and provide an idiots giude on what i should do and pay please? Cheers.

djparky
4th January 2008, 19:55
Last year I made do with channel 5 highlights but this year i'd like to follow much more if i can. I am a sky customer, can anyone steer me in the right direction, and provide an idiots giude on what i should do and pay please? Cheers.

if you're a sky customer you'll be able to watch all 36 races of the Sprint Cup (was Nextel Cup) either in full live or as live on Setanta Sports Ireland (ch434), Setanta will also show (it did last year anyway) the Nationwide (was Busch) Series as live- plus the daily NASCAR Now shows- and they don't go to ad breaks every 5 minutes either

it will cost £9.95 per month and you'll get the whole Setanta Sports package for that- they also show loads of other US sports as well as BTCC and DTM

call Setanta Sports and they'll switch it on for you

colinspooky
5th January 2008, 10:25
Last year etc..........

Tubes fan then?

FeeWaybill
5th January 2008, 17:07
Dj - All sorted, thanks for your help. :)

Colin - Yes mate. White punks, don't touch me there, show me a reason...oldies but goodies. jeez I'm showing my age. ;)

ghostdancing
5th January 2008, 17:44

Hi FeeWaybill

I have Sky Digital, and the only way 'I know' to get NASCAR is to subscribe to Sentanta who took over NASN. You will want to ask for the NASN channels which will give you American Sports, which includes NASCAR.

Then you will get access to channel 434, which shows LIVE and AS LIVE NASCAR races. You will be able to watch the Sunday races around 6pm Sunday BST, and the Saturday night under the lights races around 1AM BST Sunday.

I am paying £9.95 per month, which means you pay approx £2.50 per race, ie four Sprint NASCAR races each month.

WARNING. The coverage last year was very bad at the start, beginnings of races missed to due previous programs running late, ends of races lost due to the races over running. But towards the end of last year, say the last 15 races or so, they got their act together and the coverage was as to be expected when covering sport from another country which is rain affected.

If you have not seen the Daytona 500 live, your in for a real treat, just brilliant !!

djparky
5th January 2008, 19:25
Hi FeeWaybill

I have Sky Digital, and the only way 'I know' to get NASCAR is to subscribe to Sentanta who took over NASN. You will want to ask for the NASN channels which will give you American Sports, which includes NASCAR.

Then you will get access to channel 434, which shows LIVE and AS LIVE NASCAR races. You will be able to watch the Sunday races around 6pm Sunday BST, and the Saturday night under the lights races around 1AM BST Sunday.

I am paying £9.95 per month, which means you pay approx £2.50 per race, ie four Sprint NASCAR races each month.

WARNING. The coverage last year was very bad at the start, beginnings of races missed to due previous programs running late, ends of races lost due to the races over running. But towards the end of last year, say the last 15 races or so, they got their act together and the coverage was as to be expected when covering sport from another country which is rain affected.

If you have not seen the Daytona 500 live, your in for a real treat, just brilliant !!

yeah I'd forgotten about some of the overrun problems, but compared to the shambles with Eurosport in the good old days of CART it wasn't that bad...you also get the pre-race show for about an hour before the race

GARYGAZZA
5th January 2008, 20:16
Im am happy for all you people who have sky,but for Colin and all other virgin media subscribers including myself,we seem to have been overlooked once again.I have spoken to Setanta twice and have got 2 conflicting answers,one said all U.S sport is being aired on NASN whilst the other answer was they did not know if cable customers would get live nascar.I have since emailed them and Nasn with various questions but have yet to get a reply.I cant see no reason why they can not show it on Rangers tv as that does not air over the weekend,or even have Nasn 2 as a stand alone channel.Roll on 9th february,Bud shootout time.

Go#88

djparky
5th January 2008, 21:30
Im am happy for all you people who have sky,but for Colin and all other virgin media subscribers including myself,we seem to have been overlooked once again.I have spoken to Setanta twice and have got 2 conflicting answers,one said all U.S sport is being aired on NASN whilst the other answer was they did not know if cable customers would get live nascar.I have since emailed them and Nasn with various questions but have yet to get a reply.I cant see no reason why they can not show it on Rangers tv as that does not air over the weekend,or even have Nasn 2 as a stand alone channel.Roll on 9th february,Bud shootout time.

Go#88

I think it comes down to what channels Virgin Media wants/is able to show, yes US Sport is shown on NASN, but Setanta Sports Ireland also doubles up for NASN on Sunday evenings (and other times for US Sport)- NASN usually only shows NFL, NHL etc and sometimes the NASCAR Now shows-

I agree if there are empty channels then why not use them, but I suspect it's not that simple- I switched to Sky along time ago to avoid all this (I know not everyone has this choice)

GARYGAZZA
5th January 2008, 21:57
I think it comes down to what channels Virgin Media wants/is able to show, yes US Sport is shown on NASN, but Setanta Sports Ireland also doubles up for NASN on Sunday evenings (and other times for US Sport)- NASN usually only shows NFL, NHL etc and sometimes the NASCAR Now shows-

I agree if there are empty channels then why not use them, but I suspect it's not that simple- I switched to Sky along time ago to avoid all this (I know not everyone has this choice)

Hi dj I used to be with Sky but had major issues with them,My patients ran out and I switched to cable.I swar blind I would not go back to them.All was well with cable until last years fiasco with nascar coverage when I decided to eat humble pie and go back to sky.They had a 5 week waiting list so I parted with my hard earned cash and booked an installation ,just prior to Talladega.2 days before installation sky phone to say they had run out of sky boxes and would rebook me when back in stock.Weeks and phone calls later,one of which they had no record of payment to which I was non to impressed(All I want to do is watch my beloved Nascar).I finally got my money back and brought a laptop to connect to my tv,picture not all that but at least I can still watch races. The only down side is I can not record it so saturday night races become a very long night

SOD
6th January 2008, 04:38
what you need to find out is if you have "Setanta Sports Ireland" in your list of Setanta channels. The NASCAR races are not shown on "NASN 1" but on Setanta Sports ireland. SS Irelan reverts to "NASN 2" when any North American sport is shown.

GARYGAZZA
6th January 2008, 11:51
Setanta Ireland is not recieved on Virgin media

djparky
6th January 2008, 14:45
Hi dj I used to be with Sky but had major issues with them,My patients ran out and I switched to cable.I swar blind I would not go back to them.All was well with cable until last years fiasco with nascar coverage when I decided to eat humble pie and go back to sky.They had a 5 week waiting list so I parted with my hard earned cash and booked an installation ,just prior to Talladega.2 days before installation sky phone to say they had run out of sky boxes and would rebook me when back in stock.Weeks and phone calls later,one of which they had no record of payment to which I was non to impressed(All I want to do is watch my beloved Nascar).I finally got my money back and brought a laptop to connect to my tv,picture not all that but at least I can still watch races. The only down side is I can not record it so saturday night races become a very long night

mmm not a good experience- mine was the opposite way round, I had NTL cable for about 5 years (wasn't able to have a sat dish on the flat) and it was an unremittingly awful experience- cable TV would freeze or not work at all, never could get to customer service to report a fault, they cut off the phone service because they'd lost a payment and when I moved house I resorted to cancelling all my direct debits with them because I knew I couldn't trust them to close the account down (correctly as it turned out)-

Telewest were much much better than NTL but the channels I wanted- Motors TV and SKy Sports Extra (for tennis coverage) and now Setanta Ireland are only available on Sky- so I switched when I moved house again- my installation was done on the day I wanted and have been happy with the service ever since- I have cable broadband internet and phone and that's fine, but would never have cable TV again

jeffmr2
6th January 2008, 17:42
Have NASN officially confirmed they are covering Nascar in 2008? Ive kept my setanta subscription going during the off season for horse racing and premiership football,if theres no nascar though i will cancel it.

gary_580
8th January 2008, 16:05
Have NASN officially confirmed they are covering Nascar in 2008? Ive kept my setanta subscription going during the off season for horse racing and premiership football,if theres no nascar though i will cancel it.

I would say no on the basis that NASCAR 2008 isnt mentioned on the NASN website

colinspooky
8th January 2008, 16:28
reading through all those, you have to say these big companies are so shoddy - all of them. Don't give a toss, can't sort the cash, and even less done on the technology. Makes you wonder how they stay in business.

colinspooky
9th January 2008, 17:12
for all you Virgin Media fans who are paying through the nose already,
I give you this lovely warm-hearted kick-in-the-teeth.
I just so hate it when these people use lines like this :
"Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused" ----- fak off they mean.............

Hello Mr Murphy,
REFERENCE : 2553144

Thank you for your e-mail dated 8 January 2008 regarding the NASN2 channel.
At present Virgin Media does not have this channel just the normal NASN.
This may change in the future and customers will be advised.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused.

If you have further queries regarding this matter or any other issue, please use the link provided below:
http://www.virginmedia.com/contact

Please note if you reply directly to this e-mail your response will not be received.

Kind regards,
Helen Atkinson
E-Contact Team
Virgin Media

SOD
9th January 2008, 17:38
Since many events are shown on Setanta Sports ireland, Virgin should include that as part of their Setanta Sports pack, its only fair if people are asked to pay £15 a month to get Setanta Sports.

I think that Setanta is putting NASCAR on SS ireland is because Setanta does not want to show Italian football on SSireland on Sunday nights. Putting the NACAR on SS Ireland forces irish customers to trade up to the full Setanta Sports package.

JovialJooles
9th January 2008, 18:13
...The only down side is I can not record it so saturday night races become a very long night

What you need is this - http://www.pprecorder.com/

Julian :D

colinspooky
10th January 2008, 10:44
What you need is this - http://www.pprecorder.com/

Julian :D

I am always worried about this sort of thing..... worried it is going to fak up my PC - have you tried it yourself Julian? If so, full report please, chop chop - February is approaching ;)

GARYGAZZA
10th January 2008, 15:19
Hi Julian,I sometimes watch Nascar for zstream and anyone that is streaming.Does it recorded these or are the preset i.e Tvu and Sopcast

Osella
10th January 2008, 19:39
Well I have several races recorded on SopCast from last season, as it has its own inbuilt recorder anyway!
On the downside, live races seemed to disappear after the NHIS chase race... :(

brewerkd
10th January 2008, 22:45
All nascar races are recorded in hd and then posted for download. it takes a couple of days but a race is never missed. can be found at
racing-underground.com
i used a few times last year for the sat night races and i too am virgin and have to watch via internet stream wen available

colinspooky
11th January 2008, 15:55
Just took a look at racingunderground, and when I went to sign up, I got this page which I have never seen before and is somewhat scary

Anyone? Am I just being a wimp --- is this place for real or will it attempt to explode my PC?

http://www.racing-underground.com/index.ru?cls=4

:eek:

dime3
11th January 2008, 16:01
Whoa!!! Thats freaky!

I don't know if it will blow up your machine, :D , but I wouldn't go pushing any buttons after seeing that!

JovialJooles
11th January 2008, 17:14
I am always worried about this sort of thing..... worried it is going to fak up my PC - have you tried it yourself Julian? If so, full report please, chop chop - February is approaching ;)

I used it with sopcast and TVU.

Not sure why it would wreck your PC?...

Hi Julian,I sometimes watch Nascar for zstream and anyone that is streaming.Does it recorded these or are the preset i.e Tvu and Sopcast

I haven't used it with the streams I now use, but given you can add a new channel by posting in the ip address, there is no reason why it shouldn't work. It treats TVU and sopcast as streams, so there really isn't much difference. A case of suck it and see.

I hope VM pull their finger out and get things sorted; because it would be so much simpler watching it on the telly than having to deal with the streams every race.

brewerkd
13th January 2008, 10:13
trust me racing underground is legit and real + safe
they even have pre season testing from daytona !

colinspooky
16th January 2008, 16:57
yes I tried it - torrents again. I am such a useless when it comes to things too complex with PCs - it starts talking about forwarding ports and static IPs. I know a million of you know all about this stuff, but I read their so-called help file, and just gave up. I have eight PCs running on my network, and I am terrified if I start messing with one bit, the rest will collapse like a pack of cards.

TVU - here I come. At least all you do with that is click, and it shows. Several days later mind as Wheels/Speed doesn't show the races live, and the channel that does (ESPN is it?) is not currently on TVU.

BobGarage
16th January 2008, 17:07
trust me racing underground is legit and real + safe
they even have pre season testing from daytona !

technically racing underground is not legit. they seed for download coverage of all racing series but that footage is actually owned by the series/tv companies and as with most torrent sites the stuff being seeded on there is illegal and if caught you could be facing jail time/hefty fines.

the site was originally called f1racingworld and was shut down a few years back due to threatened legal action from bernie and f1 for them seeding their footage.

a site (with reference to fishes in its name) popped up shortly afterwards and took over where f1rw left off. then the founders of f1rw came back with racing underground.

i have used both the fishy site and RU but neither can be called legit. As with all such downloads, if you chose to download such items you do so at your own risk.

brewerkd
17th January 2008, 11:44
Fair comment, i did not mean legit in the sence of being legal, but i can see that is how it came across. I meant it in the sense of being a site that will not infect your pc with viruses etc in responce to his question of being real. i was not not in anyway condoning the downloading of these files, i was just making Colin aware of their existance

BobGarage
17th January 2008, 13:25
Fair comment, i did not mean legit in the sence of being legal, but i can see that is how it came across. I meant it in the sense of being a site that will not infect your pc with viruses etc in responce to his question of being real. i was not not in anyway condoning the downloading of these files, i was just making Colin aware of their existance

fair response. and I will back you up in your comments that the site is not going to infect your pc with viruses etc.

it is a good site, but I would recommend the site with the fishes in its name over racing underground in terms of nascar torrents ;)

inimitablestoo
17th January 2008, 17:42
Anyone know what next week's apparent NASCAR coverage on Five US is about? It's billed in the Radio Times as the "Smart Cup" - if I try typing those words into Google, the nearest motorsport suggestion is what looks like a Belgian one-make series for Mercedes' tiny city car. Seems more likely it'll be a re-run of one of last year's rounds, probably from the Chase (seeing as Five US is also repeating the Indy 500 next week) but that name threw me for a moment.

Simmi
17th January 2008, 18:57
Its just been mistakenly put instead of Sprint Cup. I doubt they would show the pre season testing from Daytona but maybe thats it. Or repeats.

BobGarage
17th January 2008, 20:06
its repeat of last years daytona 500 (according to radio times online.)

GARYGAZZA
18th January 2008, 20:28
Just looked on nasn website and there tv schedule does not include Live sprint cup.Looks like vm customers dip out again :mad:

RaikkonenRules
19th January 2008, 21:10
I just downloaded TVU but it won't work. Any advice?

pentti
21st January 2008, 09:27
I just downloaded TVU but it won't work. Any advice?
Some times I have to restart my pc to get TVU.

brewerkd
21st January 2008, 15:34
it seems that myp2p may be a solution.........

http://forum.myp2p.eu/viewtopic.php?id=24917

gary_580
22nd January 2008, 16:47
found this on the NASN eb site

NASCAR returns to NASN on February 17 with the opening race of the Nationwide Series, the Orbitz 300, from the Daytona International Speedway in Florida.

You can watch the Nationwide Series all season long on NASN.

gary_580
22nd January 2008, 20:00
according to http://www.livesportontv.com the daytona 500 will be on Setanta 2

Sun 17 Feb 2008 19:00 Daytona 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Setanta Sports 2 (19:00-00:30)

Simmi
22nd January 2008, 20:44
If that is the case then that is a channel that Virgin Media customers can also pick up.

JovialJooles
22nd January 2008, 21:41
If that is the case then that is a channel that Virgin Media customers can also pick up.

Yippee. :s mokin:

RaikkonenRules
23rd January 2008, 20:43
Grr I'm want Virgin Media now. :mad:

GARYGAZZA
23rd January 2008, 21:13
according to www.livesportontv.com (http://www.livesportontv.com) the daytona 500 will be on Setanta 2

Sun 17 Feb 2008 19:00 Daytona 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Setanta Sports 2 (19:00-00:30)

How accurate is this info?Had hopes dashed too many times before,lets hope they are all shown on ss2.

GARYGAZZA
23rd January 2008, 22:03
Just rechecked on www.livesportontv.com (http://www.livesportontv.com) and the Daytona 500 has gone from the list!! :confused:

JovialJooles
24th January 2008, 09:13
Just rechecked on www.livesportontv.com (http://www.livesportontv.com) and the Daytona 500 has gone from the list!! :confused:

How bizzare. I checked about 16:00 and it was still there...

GARYGAZZA
25th January 2008, 20:25
Did you sky subscribers in mainland uk get Setanta Ireland with your Setanta sports package? ,or was it just available in Ireland.Thinking of setting up my old sky box and subscribing to Setanta if Nascar is on Setanta Ireland this year

djparky
25th January 2008, 20:59
Did you sky subscribers in mainland uk get Setanta Ireland with your Setanta sports package? ,or was it just available in Ireland.Thinking of setting up my old sky box and subscribing to Setanta if Nascar is on Setanta Ireland this year

yeah we get Setanta Ireland as part of the Setanta Sports package on Sky

GARYGAZZA
26th January 2008, 08:04
Lovely,think i will be up the ladder today putting the dish up in ready just in case us vm cable customers are left out again.

FeeWaybill
26th January 2008, 21:23
Just checked the website detailed above and I cannot see any listing for NASCAR on Setanta. Does this mean no coverage this year? Anyone got any definite information?

cgs
27th January 2008, 19:43
on Digiguide, it has the Nationwide Series showing on NASN, but not live. most of the time it looks like they are on mondays. no mention of the Sprint Cup though, but i would therefore conclude that it will be on a Setenta branded channel.

colinspooky
27th January 2008, 20:00
Looks like TVU is going to get a pounding this year - shame really in this day and age

GARYGAZZA
27th January 2008, 20:36
Looks like TVU is going to get a pounding this year - shame really in this day and age

Ive just put up my sky dish and am going to buy a free to view card so I can subscribe to setanta sports and get setanta Ireland.
If I get it up and running feel free to pop around to watch.Im only up the A2 in Sittingbourne

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
28th January 2008, 11:45
Ive been on racingunderground and have downloaded a couple of the old races which are great. Are there other sites where i can get old races?. I started watching nascar in the mid-late ninties and havent seen many races from before that time. and would really like to see somemore old skool stuff.

gary_580
28th January 2008, 13:02

It wasnt on TVU at the end of last season

colinspooky
28th January 2008, 14:48
If I get it up and running feel free to pop around to watch.Im only up the A2 in Sittingbourne

Sounds tempting - my other half just laughed and said you would be so much younger than me - turns out you are ---- by nine months :D

Ive been on racingunderground and have downloaded a couple of the old races which are great. Are there other sites where i can get old races?. I started watching nascar in the mid-late ninties and havent seen many races from before that time. and would really like to see somemore old skool stuff.

Again, this looks good, but all that mucking about setting up the torrents so they work just scares me to be honest. Send me the DVDs instead :eek:

It wasnt on TVU at the end of last season

This is true - of all times for it to go down. I finally phoned them up at their New York office (that scared the bloke a little) and he said he would get right on it, and the final race was shown. I missed it though - brilliant.

Bev_Alvin
29th January 2008, 18:49
Hi All
Looks like NASN are going to P*** about again, I emailed them on Sat 26/01/08 re their coverage of the 2008 Nascar season, and got the following reply today :-
Dear Sir

Thank you for contacting NASN - the only TV channel dedicated to North American sports in Europe.
I can confirm that at present NASN have no confirmed scheduling regarding the broadcasting of Nascar 2008.
However, we work very hard to please our subscribers, we appreciate your feedback regarding the channel/service, specific games, teams and events you are interested in and by sharing your views with us we can continue to develop the channel. Your comments have been forwarded to the relevant department for review and consideration.

Very helpfull !!!
With ref to the Virgin Media folks I was thinking about moving to them but was informed that they do not have the rights to show NASN2 on Setanta Ireland which is where the Nascar is usualy broadcast.
Hope NASN get things sorted PDQ.
Cheers Alvin

GARYGAZZA
29th January 2008, 19:27
Hi All
Looks like NASN are going to P*** about again, I emailed them on Sat 26/01/08 re their coverage of the 2008 Nascar season, and got the following reply today :-
Dear Sir

Thank you for contacting NASN - the only TV channel dedicated to North American sports in Europe.
I can confirm that at present NASN have no confirmed scheduling regarding the broadcasting of Nascar 2008.
However, we work very hard to please0 our subscribers, we appreciate your feedback regarding the channel/service, specific games, teams and events you are interested in and by sharing your views with us we can continue to develop the channel. Your comments have been forwarded to the relevan9epartment for review and consideration.

Very helpfull !!!
With ref to the Virgin Media folks I was thinking about moving to them but was informed that they do0 not have the rights to show NASN2 on Setanta Ireland which is where the Nascar is usualy broadcast.
Hope NASN get things sorted PDQ.
Cheers Alvin

Hi Alvin,Virgin Media do no have Setanta Ireland.
Bud shootout is being shown on Nasn 2 on sunday February 10th at 12am(Check out nasn 2 listings

Glen 320
29th January 2008, 20:11
Bud shootout is also being shown on channel 5 on monday 11th of february,on at about 1am i think .

inimitablestoo
29th January 2008, 20:11
For those of us without recourse to one of them new-fangled stallactite dishes, Five will be showing the Budweiser Shootout (a day or two late, granted) as was confirmed before last night's Daytona 500 repeat. Not sure as yet whether they'll be repeating last year's "as live" Daytona 500 coverage, but here's hoping...

Edit: Damnit, Mr 320 just beat me to it :D

ghostdancing
29th January 2008, 21:09
I saw the budshootout listed this morning on the nasn2 schedule.

Sun 10 Feb 12:00am
NASCAR Budweiser Shootout
The Budweiser Shootout is an annual NASCAR Sprint Cup Series exhibition event held at Daytona International Speedway.

So decided to email nasn to confirm this, and ask about the rest of the years coverage. Got the same reply as seen before. 'I can confirm that at present NASN have no confirmed scheduling regarding the broadcasting of Nascar 2008.'

Is this a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.
But, the good thing is it is listed, and the date and time indicates that it will be live, weather permitting. Lets all pray now and every spare moment we have that it is not weather delayed like in previous years. They have it scheduled for two hours, which in my opinion is a bit tight, but hopefully if it does overun nasn wont cut and run on us.

Get the Buds and potato chips in, let the eldest son stay up late to watch. NASCAR is back and under the lights.

To quote Darrell Waltrip 'Thank you NASCAR'

GARYGAZZA
29th January 2008, 21:28
http://www.five.tv/home/frameset/?content=97740&

Check out the above link.Bud shootout on Sky sports 2 hd?

Click on tv listings
Type in Nascar in search and go
Then search all program info

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
29th January 2008, 21:50
nasn listings show NASCAR NOW starting from the 4th of feb. And i did see a tv last week that advertised nascar on nasn no time and date were mentioned though.

wedge
29th January 2008, 23:36
Looks like the same mess-up as last year. Hopefully 5 will show the 500 in full again.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
30th January 2008, 11:03
I saw the budshootout listed this morning on the nasn2 schedule.

Sun 10 Feb 12:00am
NASCAR Budweiser Shootout
The Budweiser Shootout is an annual NASCAR Sprint Cup Series exhibition event held at Daytona International Speedway.

So decided to email nasn to confirm this, and ask about the rest of the years coverage. Got the same reply as seen before. 'I can confirm that at present NASN have no confirmed scheduling regarding the broadcasting of Nascar 2008.'

Is this a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.
But, the good thing is it is listed, and the date and time indicates that it will be live, weather permitting. Lets all pray now and every spare moment we have that it is not weather delayed like in previous years. They have it scheduled for two hours, which in my opinion is a bit tight, but hopefully if it does overun nasn wont cut and run on us.

Get the Buds and potato chips in, let the eldest son stay up late to watch. NASCAR is back and under the lights.

To quote Darrell Waltrip 'Thank you NASCAR'

Dont worry about it overunning they have another NASN2 program scheduled for after the race, they learnt thier lesson last year when Martinsville got cut off with 20 to go. I think their phone lines were very busy that night. :D

This of course is if we have racing at all, I am ****ing furious that this is happening again. :mad:

anafurn
30th January 2008, 13:04
Guess what

live NASCAR Sprint Cup
Sunday 10th February : Budweiser Shootout : Sky Sports 3
Sunday 17th February : Daytona 500 : Sky Sports 2
Sunday 24th February : Auto Club 500 : Sky Sports Xtra
Sunday 2nd March : UAW-Dodge 400 : Sky Sports 2
also available in high definition on Sky Sports HD2

The plot thickens...

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
30th January 2008, 13:27
Guess what

live NASCAR Sprint Cup

The plot thickens...

Where did you get that from. Sounds promising.

BobGarage
30th January 2008, 13:31
i've just searched the tv listings on sky.com and it only lists cup races as being on five

cgs
30th January 2008, 14:02
MOTORING: Live NASCAR
On: Sky Sports HD 2
Date: Sunday 17th February 2008 (starting in 18 days)
Time: 20:00 to 00:30 (4 hours and 30 minutes long)

The NASCAR Sprint Cup series roars round the Daytona International Speedway for the Daytona 500. Celebrating its 50th year, who can win the race claimed by Chevrolet for the last five years?
(Widescreen, Live, Dolby Digital 5.1)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=39413

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

for Sky Sports 2, it shows "To Be Annouunced" for the same period, but Sky Sports 2 always has the exact same schedule as Sky Sports 2 HD

ghostdancing
30th January 2008, 14:03
Guess what

live NASCAR Sprint Cup

The plot thickens...

What !!!!

Why does Sky Sports 2 have the Daytona 500 listed. It should be on NASN. Hopefully this is just a spoiler, and someone making us nervous. :mad:

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
30th January 2008, 14:15
ENTERTAINMENT: To Be Announced

Channel: Sky Sports 2 402
Date: Sunday 17th February 2008
Time: 20:00 to 00:30 (starting in 18 days)
Duration: 4 hours and 30 minutes.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup series roars round the Daytona International Speedway for the Daytona 500. Celebrating its 50th year, who can win the race claimed by Chevrolet for the last five years?
(Stereo, Live)
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=237650

Copyright GipsyMedia Ltd.

Sky Sports 2 now says the above on digiguide

cgs
30th January 2008, 14:19
found the Duels as well:

On: Sky Sports 3 (513)
Date: Thursday 14th February 2008 (starting in 15 days)
Time: 19:00 to 22:30 (3 hours and 30 minutes long)

The NASCAR Sprint Cup series roars into action at the Daytona International Speedway with the Gatorade Duel. The race acts as a qualifier for the Daytona 500.
(Stereo, Live)
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=39413

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
30th January 2008, 14:28
Well its weird that it has again come this late?. Im not suprised if this turns out to be true. NASCAR is ahead of all american sports in terms of viewing figures (except for NFL i believe) so maybe we should all start thinking about cancelling out subscriptions for NASN.

Man, if it is true telling NASN where they can shove their crappy customer service is going to be very satisfying.

cgs
30th January 2008, 14:30
as far as i can work out, NASN is showing the Busch, sorry, Nationwide series in 2008 (thats a hard habit to break!)

speculator
30th January 2008, 15:03
live NASCAR Sprint Cup
Sunday 17th February : Daytona 500 : Sky Sports 2 (also available in high definition on Sky Sports HD2)
Sunday 2nd March : UAW-Dodge 400 : Sky Sports 2 (also available in high definition on Sky Sports HD2)I got this from http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/wtv.php?chan=SPH2&week=233

December 2005 :
ESPN will also be NASCAR's exclusive international sales agent worldwide (excluding Mexico and Canada) and will have the right to air all ESPN or ABC Sports ancillary programs on its international networks. ESPN owns NASN. ESPN is the sales agent for UK/Ireland. So ESPN could have held onto the rights and broadcast it on a UK/Ireland channel (like Setanta Ireland). But decided to sell NASCAR Sprint Cup live rights to Sky Sports. I hope that now that Sky Sports has the Cup live rights, it doesn't mean that Nascar Now has to edit out all race action. :eek:

anafurn
30th January 2008, 15:06
as far as i can work out, NASN is showing the Busch, sorry, Nationwide series in 2008 (thats a hard habit to break!)

Does anyone know if Motors TV is showing the Nationwide? I can't see it being worth the NASN/Setanta subscription on its own (I hardly ever watch it live so generally see the recording after the cup race and the inevitable commentators' spoilers) and I too would love to tell them what to do with their customer "service"

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
30th January 2008, 15:41
Does anyone know if Motors TV is showing the Nationwide? I can't see it being worth the NASN/Setanta subscription on its own (I hardly ever watch it live so generally see the recording after the cup race and the inevitable commentators' spoilers) and I too would love to tell them what to do with their customer "service"

I dont think that motors will have the Nationwide. Wish we could get the trucks.

speculator
30th January 2008, 17:44
live NASCAR Sprint Cup
Sunday 17th February : Daytona 500 : Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports HD2
Sunday 2nd March : UAW-Dodge 400 : Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports HD2I am not a Sky Sports subscriber so assumed, its HD sports channels are like BBC HD and everything on the channel was in high definition. I have just noticed the listings for Daytona only says (Widescreen, Live, Dolby Digital 5.1) :o

Simmi
30th January 2008, 18:37
So happy about this news. It means I dont have to fork out for a tin pot channel like NASN that doesnt keep its customers informed.

Showing it on sky should hopefully mean decent coverage and repeats. Best news in ages.

ghostdancing
30th January 2008, 19:29
So happy about this news. It means I dont have to fork out for a tin pot channel like NASN that doesnt keep its customers informed.

Showing it on sky should hopefully mean decent coverage and repeats. Best news in ages.

I just called SKY on 0870 2 40 40 40, and asked about the NASCAR SPRINT 2008 season. I was informed by a scots gentleman, that SKY Sports are only showing the Daytona 500, and nothing else. I asked who had the rights to the rest of the season, and was told by the same man it was Channel 5, the terrestrial channel.

I have emailed Channel 5 asking what their involvement is this year. See what there response is.

I called Sentanta, and the person at the other end of the phone said that they have never heard of NASN, and did not know what NEXTCART, as he put it was.

Sad sad sad...

ghostdancing
30th January 2008, 19:49
live NASCAR Sprint Cup

I have checked the listings above, but the last two races are not shown. Both slots where there would be, BST time, are empty. If I am wrong, let me know, send me the link to prove me wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Again the Sky Sport person I chatted to said SKY do not have NASCAR this season. Have about two weeks to sort this out, and I wish it were all just much much easier.

Just did a search on this site.
http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/search.php?reloadchan=SPG2&reloadweek=235&find=nascar&field=0&chan=0&week=0&cat=

Need a coffee !!

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
30th January 2008, 20:07
i dont understand why skys own guide says they are showing it yet they are not confirming it to you on the phone. These guides must come from the channel controller who i suspect has a better idea of whats happening than some tit in a call centre.

bigun
30th January 2008, 20:38
I called Sentanta, and the person at the other end of the phone said that they have never heard of NASN, and did not know what NEXTCART, as he put it was.

Sad sad sad...

Exactly, Setanta are crap. Hopefully ESPN are going to move their customer care away from Setanta when they are allowed to under their contract (re purchase of NASN).

ESPN are a professional Company, can't wait for their re-launch - can't come quich enough. ESPN probably / unfortunately just could not put NASCAR on their main channel when they re-launch - so Sky taking over is no big loss to ESPN. ESPN still have daily chat shows and the Nationwide. Sky have the Sprint.

I think when ESPN relaunch NASN we will have a much more professional channel - well away from Setanta's childish hands.

EDIT - Just seen on another forum that Setanta outsource their customer care to Sky - so all these issues about NASN's customer care actually means Sky!!!!

Good for all of us.

bigun
30th January 2008, 20:40
live NASCAR Sprint Cup

I have checked the listings above, but the last two races are not shown. Both slots where there would be, BST time, are empty. If I am wrong, let me know, send me the link to prove me wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Again the Sky Sport person I chatted to said SKY do not have NASCAR this season. Have about two weeks to sort this out, and I wish it were all just much much easier.

Just did a search on this site.
http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/search.php?reloadchan=SPG2&reloadweek=235&find=nascar&field=0&chan=0&week=0&cat=

Need a coffee !!

The last 2 slots are on Digiguide for broadcasting on Sky.

Just hope we don't get too many 'back to the studio' breaks! NASN's coverage I think will be missed.

ghostdancing
30th January 2008, 21:17
21:08 Sky customer services just called me back on my mobile.

She apologised for calling late, but wanted to check how many races there were in a season. I told her 36 not counting the extra 2 which are non point races. She said she found that Sky Sports are down to show 38 events, starting with a Bud Shootout and then Gatarades Duels (what a bonus). I gave her some dates from NASCAR.COM to double check, and she was able to give me the correct race name and location from her SKY schedules.

So, do I now cancel SENTANTA, up my SKY package from family to sports+family, I guess I do. but having been told such conflicting information from so many sources, I am confused and nervy.

The Running Man is on CH5, so I will watch that, and keep an eye on here to see what advice you can all give me. As we all agree, if it is on SKY, then it can only be for the better.

bigun
30th January 2008, 21:29
21:08 Sky customer services just called me back on my mobile.

She apologised for calling late, but wanted to check how many races there were in a season. I told her 36 not counting the extra 2 which are non point races. She said she found that Sky Sports are down to show 38 events, starting with a Bud Shootout and then Gatarades Duels (what a bonus). I gave her some dates from NASCAR.COM to double check, and she was able to give me the correct race name and location from her SKY schedules.

So, do I now cancel SENTANTA, up my SKY package from family to sports+family, I guess I do. but having been told such conflicting information from so many sources, I am confused and nervy.

The Running Man is on CH5, so I will watch that, and keep an eye on here to see what advice you can all give me. As we all agree, if it is on SKY, then it can only be for the better.

I hope to cancel Setanta as well - once NASN/ESPN relaunches - if it pulls away from crap Setanta. Obviously I like more than just the NASCAR now and Busch series that will still be on NASN. You obviously do not.

Being on Sky is not for the better - we will get back to the studio breaks every 10 minutes - no pre race from the US. Probably also cut back to the studio before all the post chequered flag events as well.

GARYGAZZA
30th January 2008, 22:29
Nasn showing bud shootout on nasn2,so got my old sky box up and running with a free to view card.Just subscribed to setanta and guess what,no setanta Ireland!!! :angryfire Some one my wife knows gets it and he lives in Canterbury,which is further away from ireland than i am.
Being a vm cable customer any full race coverage is better than nothing.

bigun
30th January 2008, 22:44
Nasn showing bud shootout on nasn2,so got my old sky box up and running with a free to view card.Just subscribed to setanta and guess what,no setanta Ireland!!! :angryfire Some one my wife knows gets it and he lives in Canterbury,which is further away from ireland than i am.
Being a vm cable customer any full race coverage is better than nothing.

The odd show on Setanta Ireland is blacked out - keep checking most is viewable (incl NASN 2)

Speedworx
30th January 2008, 23:05
If NASCAR is on sky sports and Setanta have lost the BTCC coverage as rumoured. I will cancel as I hardly watch Nationwide Series or NASCAR Now.

SOD
31st January 2008, 01:25
on the NASN 2 (setanta sports ireland) they have listed the Bud Shootout to be on Sunday Feb 10th at 12 am

http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&channel=nasnextra

the FOX coverage starts at 1am.

:whistle:

bigun
31st January 2008, 07:35
on the NASN 2 (setanta sports ireland) they have listed the Bud Shootout to be on Sunday Feb 10th at 12 am

http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&channel=nasnextra

the FOX coverage starts at 1am.

:whistle:

You have that wrong - they have highlights Sunday / Monday morning at midnight.

JTK
31st January 2008, 10:58
I hope to cancel Setanta as well - once NASN/ESPN relaunches - if it pulls away from crap Setanta. Obviously I like more than just the NASCAR now and Busch series that will still be on NASN. You obviously do not.

Being on Sky is not for the better - we will get back to the studio breaks every 10 minutes - no pre race from the US. Probably also cut back to the studio before all the post chequered flag events as well.

Yes indeed, hope they still have the pre-race and post-race from US, not too bothered about them going to their own ads and/or studio breaks, while US coverage have their ads. Hopefully will be Keith Huwen (?) fronting coverage. At least we know we will have live or as live coverage of both Sprint and Nationwide Cup.

cgs
31st January 2008, 11:05
I also really hope Sky give it decent coverage. I watched a few IRL races from sky sports in 2006 and it was awful. they just took a few selected interviews and then 2 arses waffled on for ages in the studio. on the plus side, they did keep the original commentary from the states (albeit the international version)

five did a good job with their coverage of the Daytona 500 in 2007, but i guess because it was on a delay, they had more time to plan out their studio bits.

i might email sky and/or the production company behind the show to suggest they dont mess around with the show.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
31st January 2008, 11:05

Ill miss the pre race stuff but that has become far to long for my liking. Going back to the studio during the US ad breaks will piss me off (especially when the guys hosting have less knowledge about NASCAR than i do) but so does getting an onboard shot with some back marker three laps down.

All in all i can live with it. The most important thing is we have Live coverage. Remember the dark days when we had to wait a week later to see the race on eurosport?.

i might email sky and/or the production company behind the show to suggest they dont mess around with the show.

Sounds like a good idea, if you have the production companys details post them here. If they get alot of emails about this they may listen.

cgs
31st January 2008, 12:54
well, i dont know who will produce the show. it could be Sky's own company or an indie such as North One, Sunset+Vine, TWI etc.

ghostdancing
31st January 2008, 16:28
Cancelled SULTANA this morning, took two attempts, first time was left in a silent abyss. Was offerred next three months at only £5 per month, but I said no. Told them the reason why, NO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, means I don't want SULTANA any more. Explained to the SULTANA man that NASCAR Sprint and NASCAR Nationwide were not the same.

Have asked a friend who knows a top man at SKY to double check what I was told by SKY yesterday evening. Once he confirms I will up my SKY package to include SPORTS.

bigun
31st January 2008, 17:40
Cancelled SULTANA this morning, took two attempts, first time was left in a silent abyss. Was offerred next three months at only £5 per month, but I said no. Told them the reason why, NO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, means I don't want SULTANA any more. Explained to the SULTANA man that NASCAR Sprint and NASCAR Nationwide were not the same.

No surprise - Setanta don't give a flying whatsit about NASN anymore since they sold it to ESPN - roll on ESPN re-launching NASN. They are too worried about getting subscribers for their Football coverage.

pwb
31st January 2008, 19:01
Well looks like the final result is:

Sky -
Live / AS Live Sprint Cup & repeat showing

NASN
- Live / AS Live Nationwide Cup
Nascar Now
Nascar Project
Delayed Sprint Cup.

Five -
Abridged hi-lites of Sprint Cup

I am happy with this - except I have the following worries with Sky:

Better not go back to the studio all the time;
Will not show the post race events

NASN. Well ESPN are re-launching the channel and not being able to show the broadcast during Setanta Ireland hours, kind of hints towards a split from Setanta. Which would be great, especialy the way Setanta look after their own channels - poor ESPN are up a creek without a wotsit at the moment.... re-launch can't come quick enough.

djparky
31st January 2008, 20:41
bit confused here- how come Sky has got Sprint Cup for 2008??? Thought that they'd done a long term deal with ESPN/Setanta??

Sky doesn't have a history of showing NASCAR that much so it's a bit strange that should start this year???

oh I understand now- Dario Franchitti...and with Dan Wheldon on the way in 2009 it makes sense-

blown50stang
31st January 2008, 23:01
If its on sky sports PLEASE KEEP THE US COMMENTRY AND PRE ,POST RACE SHOW.WE ALL THINK DW IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!.
Pretty frustrating not knowing whats going on again,wouldnt it be cool if speed tv came to the UK, then we get everything.

JovialJooles
1st February 2008, 10:16
Boogity Boogity Boogity.

This is great news. I'm not a SKY fan, BUT, given the abysmal treatment from NASN/Setatnta, SKY will need to screw up big time if they are to plum the depths of NASN/Setanta.

Of course, this is coming from someone who is a virginmediocre customer, so I'm just happy that I can watch live NASCAR again.

:)

Viewing via streaming just isn't the same.

colinspooky
1st February 2008, 11:12
If its on sky sports PLEASE KEEP THE US COMMENTRY AND PRE ,POST RACE SHOW.WE ALL THINK DW IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!.
Pretty frustrating not knowing whats going on again,wouldnt it be cool if speed tv came to the UK, then we get everything.

Agree with all of that, except Speed won't be showing Sprint races - they switch to Fox for that. Speed shows all the other races though, and that can't be a bad thing - all they need to do is ditch Pinks, and Ultimate Whips or whatever it's called.

ghostdancing
1st February 2008, 12:50
Have asked a friend who knows a top man at SKY to double check what I was told by SKY yesterday evening. Once he confirms I will up my SKY package to include SPORTS.

No answer from above I'm sad to say.

So the question is.........

Are we all 100% confident, without any doubt that SKY are going to show all NASCAR SPRINT for 2008. My contribution is that I have been told (two sources) it is in the schedules right up to the last race in Miama in November.

Will upgrade to sports tonight, nope, wife said pay the extra £7 and do moivies as well. £45 a month blimey, my first car was bought for less than that. A yellow Vauxhall Viva, with twin head lights, nice !!!

racing393
1st February 2008, 13:08
Hi

Just registered so i can reply to this post.......

Just rung SKY and the guy said he had no information about NASCAR, he even ask him manager who was nearby......so it looks like either i had a numbscull on the line or someone on here is telling porkies.

Also having rung Setanta last night, he said it would be shown on NASN2, which is Ireland Satanta, and we caould only get it if the signal was in the correct position, sometimes UK people can get and sometimes not!!

I would hold fire on the swaps/upgrades etc

jeffmr2
1st February 2008, 13:08
I'd much rather it stay as it was last year with everything on setanta £10 per month otherwise wont it cost £34 per month to subscribe to sky?
Most important thing tho i'm sure we all agree is we get the racing live.

ghostdancing
1st February 2008, 13:23
Also having rung Setanta last night, he said it would be shown on NASN2, which is Ireland Satanta, and we caould only get it if the signal was in the correct position, sometimes UK people can get and sometimes not!!

Be careful with SATANTA, as they do not know what the difference is between SPRINT and NATIOWIDE. they do not have the Daytona 500, but they do have the ORBIT 300 from Daytona which is a NATIONWIDE race. The people at SATANTA do not have a clue what they are taking about. SANTANTA are not showing SPRINT NASCAR

ghostdancing
1st February 2008, 13:24

Be careful with SATANTA, as they do not know what the difference is between SPRINT and NATIOWIDE. they do not have the Daytona 500, but they do have the ORBIT 300 from Daytona which is a NATIONWIDE race. The people at SATANTA do not have a clue what they are taking about. SANTANTA are not showing SPRINT NASCAR as I'm concerned.

Simmi
1st February 2008, 15:41
The newest Sky guide magazine which subscribers get says nothing about Nascar being shown. It is missing from the live sport listings on the days it should be shown.

It is all a bit last minute by the looks of things. I think it is logical for Sky to show Nascar as they seem to be showing a fair bit of american sport and they would pull in more viewers then they do with the IRL.

Lets hope something definitive comes out soon then people can make the necessary arrangements.

pwb
1st February 2008, 17:32
It's a shame NASN can not use Setanta ireland space anymore, but considering the three or four cock-ups Setanta made, that NASN could do nothing about, I am not surprised ESPN have sold the rights to Sky.

Can't wait for Sky's coverage but have big worries. NASN's coverage (when not involving Setanta's stupidity) was excellent.

BobGarage
1st February 2008, 18:10
I think it is logical for Sky to show Nascar as they seem to be showing a fair bit of american sport

well, they'll have big gaps on sunday nights in the schedule now the american footballs (almost) finished. nascar would fill that slot nicely!

bmw fan
1st February 2008, 19:13
it is on setanta been informed tonight..

blown50stang
1st February 2008, 20:56
do you think its a battle of the bids between the two.I wonder how many people watch nascar in the uk , bet its bigger than you think.

Delenn
1st February 2008, 21:08
Is it me or do ESPN really not have a clue? Sky Sports should not be allowed anywhere near any motorsports events. Why have they done this?

*shakes head* Just as ESPN US look to have sorted their lot out, ESPN in the UK go **** it up again.

pwb
1st February 2008, 21:25
Is it me or do ESPN really not have a clue? Sky Sports should not be allowed anywhere near any motorsports events. Why have they done this?

*shakes head* Just as ESPN US look to have sorted their lot out, ESPN in the UK go **** it up again.

But where could ESPN UK put it - they obviously can not put it on Setanta Ireland as ESPN / NASN is not a part of Setanta anymore and at the re-launch can not use up Setanta Ireland space (except after midnight). They can't put it on NASN 1 due to European rights... so unless they launch a specific ESPN UK (which I am sure they will have in a couple of years) there is nowhere to put it, except overnight on NASN 2 (delayed).

ghostdancing
1st February 2008, 21:35
it is on setanta been informed tonight..

Ring back and be more specific. Don't just say NASCAR, say NASCAR SPRINT for 2008, then see what the answer is. The NASN website only mentions the NASCAR NATIONWIDE series, no mention of SPRINT.

SKY do have the races scheduled upto November as far as I am concerned. And also don't worry about SKY tying you down to a 12 month contract. You can change your package monthly, up or down, without any penalties.

SKY are even showing the GATORADE DUELS on Thursday the 14th Feb, there's a big gap in the schedule on SKY Sports 3, 7pm, which fits the time nicely.
http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/wtv.php?chan=SPG3&week=232#
If you keep looking at the schedules, the gaps and times fit in nicely with the NASCAR race schedule.

Think we all have to admit there is not many of us UK NASCAR fans. Most people I know are brainwashed by F1, and believe it's the best thing ever, though they have never watched any other form of motorsport. I guess we are lucky to have broken out from the flock of sheep and enjoy some good quality door to door motor sport, with some great characters. This is going to be an annual event for all of us, finding out with a week to go whose got the rights in the UK to show NASCAR, and then trying to get it confirmed. NASN, SULTANA, now SKY, who next.

Delenn
1st February 2008, 21:44
they obviously can not put it on Setanta Ireland as ESPN / NASN is not a part of Setanta anymore and at the re-launch can not use up Setanta Ireland space (except after midnight).

Not sure what you are getting at here. Do you have info/a link about this?

Delenn
1st February 2008, 21:48
so unless they launch a specific ESPN UK (which I am sure they will have in a couple of years) there is nowhere to put it, except overnight on NASN 2 (delayed).

Not withstanding that, there are options. ESPN Classic (they show live sports on the US one, why not here?) Transponder space is not they expensive either. They could just sort the technical issue of splitting NASN Nordics from UK by adding some playout. I would have thought ESPN would be building up their brand, not eroding it.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
2nd February 2008, 00:01
Not withstanding that, there are options. ESPN Classic (they show live sports on the US one, why not here?) Transponder space is not they expensive either. They could just sort the technical issue of splitting NASN Nordics from UK by adding some playout. I would have thought ESPN would be building up their brand, not eroding it.

Or they could be thinking we dont have the space at the moment. while we are rebranding why not sell the NASCAR off to SKY a company that has 10X the viewers we have on NASN and expose NASCAR to a larger audience that otherwise wouldnt have access to it.

Think we all have to admit there is not many of us UK NASCAR fans. Most people I know are brainwashed by F1, and believe it's the best thing ever, though they have never watched any other form of motorsport.

Your comments about formula 1 are true. But apparently more people watch NASCAR here than NFL. NASCAR were themselve suprised by this i remember last year there was a comment from some NASCAR exec. I can believe it, we already play and watch American football without the pads.

bigun
2nd February 2008, 00:04
Not sure what you are getting at here. Do you have info/a link about this?

I maty be able to help...

Setanta completely sold NASN to Disney / ESPN in 2006 - sale was completed in February 2007.

NASN want to relaunch this year - I believe once they have waited a certain period of time after purchase.

bmw fan
2nd February 2008, 10:30
Ring back and be more specific. Don't just say NASCAR, say NASCAR SPRINT for 2008, then see what the answer is. The NASN website only mentions the NASCAR NATIONWIDE series, no mention of SPRINT.

SKY do have the races scheduled upto November as far as I am concerned. And also don't worry about SKY tying you down to a 12 month contract. You can change your package monthly, up or down, without any penalties.

SKY are even showing the GATORADE DUELS on Thursday the 14th Feb, there's a big gap in the schedule on SKY Sports 3, 7pm, which fits the time nicely.
http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/wtv.php?chan=SPG3&week=232#
If you keep looking at the schedules, the gaps and times fit in nicely with the NASCAR race schedule.

Think we all have to admit there is not many of us UK NASCAR fans. Most people I know are brainwashed by F1, and believe it's the best thing ever, though they have never watched any other form of motorsport. I guess we are lucky to have broken out from the flock of sheep and enjoy some good quality door to door motor sport, with some great characters. This is going to be an annual event for all of us, finding out with a week to go whose got the rights in the UK to show NASCAR, and then trying to get it confirmed. NASN, SULTANA, now SKY, who next.

Dont worry its def going to be on setanta. Sky have got a highlights package deal done. you wait and see....

blown50stang
2nd February 2008, 10:59
omg , going to have a breakdown.Spoke to helpful sky eymployee, the 3 races comfirmed are bud , gatorade and daytona , also the dates from march through to end of april inc phoenix and texas.

bmw fan
2nd February 2008, 11:21
YES sky have but highlights package not live

Simmi
2nd February 2008, 11:29

I'd love to see some proof either way.

cgs
2nd February 2008, 12:18

then how do you explain this?

On: Sky Sports 3 (513)
Date: Sunday 10th February 2008 (starting in 7 days)
Time: 01:30 to 03:30 (2 hours long)

The NASCAR Sprint Cup series roars into action at the Daytona International Speedway for the annual exhibition event, the Budweiser Shootout.
(Stereo, Live)

and

MOTORING: NASN 2 NASCAR Budweiser Shootout
On: Setanta Ireland
Date: Monday 11th February 2008 (starting in 8 days)
Time: 00:00 to 02:00 (2 hours long)

anafurn
2nd February 2008, 14:29
Just received my monthly NASN e-newsletter:
"Nationwide, the new BUSCH series
Tune in for best high octane coverage of the NASCAR Nationwide Series formerly known as the BUSCH Series this February on NASN. Follow the season long coverage of this prestigious championship and get your racing fix shown live and As-Live."

No mention of the Sprint series at all...

blown50stang
2nd February 2008, 15:47
bud shoot outs on the 9th of feb , should be on 12.00am on sunday the 10th.At least we should get it from somebody but we need it un touched by sky if its going on their channel

Rapier Racer
2nd February 2008, 17:21
Hope it goes to SKY not only could I get shot of Setanta but I'd have more confidence that I am actually going to see the race each week, unlike ****anta who stopped showing live coverage for some weeks last season and filled with some Irish rugby league crap.

pentti
3rd February 2008, 01:21
Just saw in sky + programer that sky 3 is showing live Bud shoot out at 1.30 on sunday morning. It looks like that preshow is not going to be shown. I am quite suspicious how sky will handel Sprint races. Nasn is showing National Wide (old Busch seriers) so I keep the both channels.

Simmi
3rd February 2008, 17:41
So sky are showing the shootout a day late and still in the early hours. That's a bit of a shame.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
3rd February 2008, 18:05
So sky are showing the shootout a day late and still in the early hours. That's a bit of a shame.

No its live mate.

Old Stock Nut
3rd February 2008, 18:09
The Live Shoot-Out TV coverage in the US starts at 8pm Eastern on Saturday or 0100 on Sunday morning here. From seeing last year's pre-shows, my guess would be that coverage starting at 1:30 will allow us to see about 15-20 mins of it and then the GSYE at around 1:45-50-ish.

Simmi
3rd February 2008, 18:10
No its live mate.

Ahh yes you're right its just me getting my times mixed up. Cheers for that.

bigun
3rd February 2008, 22:05
As Scandinavia are showing NASCAR in High Definition, I presume Sky Sports will be doing the same - as there is already a feed to Europe In HD.

If they do not, then I will not be happy!

Pedalpusher
3rd February 2008, 23:31
As Scandinavia are showing NASCAR in High Definition, I presume Sky Sports will be doing the same - as there is already a feed to Europe In HD.

If they do not, then I will not be happy!

It's not listed on their HD channels, only Sky Sports 3.

tradin paint
4th February 2008, 10:57
ok just checked sky.com says they have signed 2 year deal with nascar for rights!

gary_580
4th February 2008, 12:42
ok just checked sky.com says they have signed 2 year deal with nascar for rights!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12993_3108146,00.html

pwb
4th February 2008, 13:10
It's not listed on their HD channels, only Sky Sports 3.

pathetic already then from Sky.

ghostdancing
4th February 2008, 13:15
So that's that.

SKY have it for two years, so I can now relax, can even record it on my new SKY plus which is a bonus.

I can live without the pre-race show, and as long as SKY use the American commentators I will be happy. Losing the in-car during US advert breaks was lost last year with SENTANTA and their Irish adverts, why I need to know about Kitchen and Bathroom fitters in Derry, 'I just don't know'. But hopefully SKY will use this advert breaks wisely, and make sure they come back for restarts on time every time.

I will give SKY till Bristol before I complain about any broadcasting mistakes they irritate me with.

Rapier Racer
4th February 2008, 15:45
pathetic already then from Sky.

Yes, becasue I remember all those lovely HD broadcasts Setanta provided us with.

Osella
4th February 2008, 16:56
"...all 38 races of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. "
Hmm, not filling me with huge confidence, it also doesn't say how many events will be live, do we assume all of them, or just the Daytona 500 and all the rest shown 'as live'? Bit more detail needed from them I think..

acorn
4th February 2008, 17:16
i see no reason why they all shouldn't be shown live, they've got enough sports channels and they show irl live and aigp live regardless of which time zone it's racing in.

this is good news as i'm confident that many previous uk nascar viewers who watched on nasn (before setanta got their hands on it and wanted us to believe we were getting a good deal by offering us the setanta package) but then unsubscribed will rejoice. me, i'm over the moon as i already have the full sky package so it's not going to cost anymore.

pwb
4th February 2008, 18:09
Yes, becasue I remember all those lovely HD broadcasts Setanta provided us with.

The point is:

1. Sky have an HD channel, NASN do / did not;
2. There is an HD feed of the races to Europe;
3. We (those that take HD) pay Sky extra for HD
4. They are by the looks of it, not even giving us widescreen!
5. No excuses, if you have an HD channel and the feed is available, then show it.

What next, cutting back to the studio every time there is a break? I hope not.

blown50stang
4th February 2008, 18:36
Looks like they have got it then , so we get the stateside commentry and pre race shows ect , i have sent an email to the sports editior of sky sports via their web page , the more Nascar fans that put their points forward the more chance we have of getting it the way Nasn showed it .Cant miss DW and Hammond going into one can we .

jeffmr2
4th February 2008, 18:55
Ive very mixed feelings over this move to sky.Only 2 months ago i cancelled all my sky entertainment channels as they have become imo crap,sky 1 should be renamed simpsons tv.If i have to re-subscribe to watch sprint cup then i'm over £400 a year worse off for what could be less coverage than last year on NASN.
I used to record 75% of the races and watch them "as live" on mondays as i like a few beers on sundays but that will have to stop to fund this extra cost.
Anyone know how much notice to i need to give sky to re-subscribe?
Also anyone know if the nationwide races are being streamed though nascar.com site?Trouble is then i may have to give up my saturday nights out as well.I also enjoy a few beers on saturdays also lol!!

ghostdancing
4th February 2008, 20:32
Looks like they have got it then , so we get the stateside commentry and pre race shows ect , i have sent an email to the sports editior of sky sports via their web page , the more Nascar fans that put their points forward the more chance we have of getting it the way Nasn showed it .Cant miss DW and Hammond going into one can we .

I sent an email Saturday night as well to the sports editor.
I explained how important it is to have the US commentary teams, as they have all lived and breathed NASCAR their entire lives. Explained how succesful DW was, and how important the insight is from Larry Mac, as he used to be Dale E #3 crew cheif. Told them that restarts are important and not to be late getting back from the studio and or adverts. Also explained that UK NASCAR fans are not children, and please get someone in the studio who knows his stuff, such as it's 'LOOSE' not oversteer, and not to keep talking about Dale, Jeff and Jimmie all the time.

Said it before, I'm happy it is on SKY. It will be on time, they will be reliable !

blown50stang
4th February 2008, 20:42
good stuff , hopefully we get it the way we want it shown.

JovialJooles
4th February 2008, 20:53
Just sent off my email to the sports editor. :)

GARYGAZZA
4th February 2008, 20:55
As a virgin media customer I like all other vm subscribers in the uk we had to make other arrangements last year if we wished to see the whole race live.I would like to thank the people who streamed it over the internet,while the picturewas not perfect it was a lifeline.I also managed to subscribe to raceview.
I decided that amidst the uncertainty of coverage this year I would get my old skybox out,buy a dish and subscribe to setanta via sattilite so I could get setanta Ireland,At least I had all angles covered.
Sods law Sky have got coverage so all my efforts were in vain.
Im just glad I can watch live races again and that I can record the Saturday night races instead of sitting in front of a pc screen until 4am(Sad I know but I love the sport).
I hope they keep with the US commentry team and dont keep going back to the studio in the ad breaks.Only time will tell.
Setanta Ireland still showing the Bud shootout and the Gaiterade duel (not live)and a review of the new season. :champion:

JovialJooles
4th February 2008, 21:38
Im just glad I can watch live races again and that I can record the Saturday night races instead of sitting in front of a pc screen until 4am(Sad I know but I love the sport).

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:Oh Boy, I'll second that!

Or getting to 5 laps before the end and the stream goes down!

At least we still got our fix.

Yep, as a VM customer things are defintely looking up. ;)

cgs
4th February 2008, 23:00
sent my letter as well

I would like to thank you and everyone at Sky Sports for securing the rights to the NASCAR Sprint Cup in 2008. i am looking forward to watching the season and have subscribed to Sky Sports especially to watch the races.
However, i would like to add my input into how the races should be screened. firstly, please, please, please keep the original US commentary. these guys have been around NASCAR their entire lives, they are former drivers, crew cheifs and mechanics and they know more about NASCAR than anyone else. their input is central to the NASCAR experience, and by replacing their commentary you are depriving the thousands of UK NASCAR fans of the best insight into the sport.

Eurosport's coverage of the Rolex 24 race at Daytona was ruined by 2 commentators who seemed to know very little about the sport, and who by the sounds of things were not even in the same country! please do let do the same to your NASCAR coverage.

also, if you plan on covering the races like you cover the IRL, please do not let your studio team ruin the experience either. i know America has more adverts than is allowed in the UK and that time needs to be filled somehow, but if and when you go to the studio team, please ensure you return to the track in time for the US commentary team to pick up where they left off. by getting someone else rattle on about something they only have a small knowledge of, it is once again depriving us fans of the best coverage possible.

i wish you all the best with your coverage in 2008 and beyond and i hope you take my opinions on board

thanks

Abo
5th February 2008, 07:22
I don't subscribe to Sky Sports at the moment. I wouldn't watch anything other than NASCAR on it so I don't think an extra £17 on my subscription is worth it...

acorn
5th February 2008, 11:27
The point is:

5. No excuses, if you have an HD channel and the feed is available, then show it.

perhaps when they've established what the viewing figures for live nascar races are like compared to the alternatives that they are showing, they MAY show it in hd ie if nascar has better viewing figures it will get the hd nod.

acorn
5th February 2008, 11:40
I don't subscribe to Sky Sports at the moment. I wouldn't watch anything other than NASCAR on it so I don't think an extra £17 on my subscription is worth it...

do you have any sky stuff at present? if not, what about the bonus of cheap(or even free) broadband and free evening and weekend calls.

acorn
5th February 2008, 11:45
Only 2 months ago i cancelled all my sky entertainment channels as they have become imo crap,sky 1 should be renamed simpsons tv.If i have to re-subscribe to watch sprint cup then i'm over £400 a year worse off for what could be less coverage than last year on NASN.

give them a call and sweet talk them. talk to someone with some authority and they may offer you a good deal to return. tell them that the nascar signing is tempting you to return but you need the added incentive. who knows, it may work.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
5th February 2008, 16:29
Said it before, I'm happy it is on SKY. It will be on time, they will be reliable !

I hope so.

Simmi
5th February 2008, 18:35
Just seen a television advert for the coverage on Sky. Getting excited now.

Good news is that the Shootout is being repeated at midday on Sunday from what I can make out.

Cant find the coverage in the TV guide on the Sky sports website but like people have said, at least Sky are reliable.

Rapier Racer
5th February 2008, 19:27
The point is:

Well I presumably like most others here are just happy to know I've got coverage, some people are never happy.

pwb
5th February 2008, 20:14
Well I presumably like most others here are just happy to know I've got coverage, some people are never happy.

But we have always had coverage - that is not the issue. There was always going to be coverage

I am just saying that Sky are already not delivering what they could and am worried that we will get no pre rash show from the US, no racing from the track during US advert breaks and no post race pictures from the track.

I hope I am wrong and we get all that plus widescreen and HD. If not, I will watch the AS LIVE action on NASN2.

cgs
5th February 2008, 20:37
from comparing the Fox TV schedules and the Sky TV schedules, it looks like we'll be missing the first hour of the Daytona 500 pre-race show, but both have scheduled to end at the same time

Speedworx
5th February 2008, 20:55
Looking forward to Bud Shootout, Gatorade Duel and the 500 LIVE.

Cancelled Setanta today.

Delenn
5th February 2008, 21:02
Well, I for one am not happy at Sky showing live Nascar. Sky's studio inserts are dreadful for any US motorsport, and they are not showing the Fox pre-race shows. Bad bad bad.

So, it looks like NASN2 replays for me, and bye bye live Nascar.

Speedworx
5th February 2008, 22:25
There isn't anything on NASN 2. The places they had NASCAR Cup are now TBA.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
6th February 2008, 10:26
from comparing the Fox TV schedules and the Sky TV schedules, it looks like we'll be missing the first hour of the Daytona 500 pre-race show, but both have scheduled to end at the same time

Thats a bitch. for most races they seem to repeat the same old crap but for the 500 id like a nice long build up. ill be sending sky an email/letter telling them i dont wont the 2 tits in a studio in london treatment.

Especially when the host know fek all and the so call expert they have in will be some tit that once watched highlights of a race on Channel 5 but writes a column for Autosport so must be an expert.

colinspooky
6th February 2008, 14:50
Sent my message too - just hope someone important enough at Sky actually reads that stuff - I somehow doubt it, but we need to try. I too hope they don't keep jumping back to the UK studio - it just shatters the emotion listening to a pair who appear to know less than I do, and I am no anorak.
Fingers crossed all, and keep hassling Sky to ensure they get it right. I have sent them a link to this thread - not that anyone will bother to look, but you never know.
;)

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
6th February 2008, 15:28
I would mind them cutting back to the studio if these to points are taken on board.

A) They get people that know what they are talking about. Someone that is passionate about and has a deep knowledge of NASCAR. Not just the guy that ran IRL a couple of times because "they go round in circles to dont they?."

B) keep a live feed in a box in the corner of the screen. This way if they havent taken Point A on board i can watch Point B.

Dave17
6th February 2008, 18:48
Programed my Sky+ for the Shootout on Sunday.........NOW ITS NOT THERE!!!! Whats going on

Dave17
6th February 2008, 19:05
Programed my Sky+ for the Shootout on Sunday.........NOW ITS NOT THERE!!!! Whats going on

Panic over....its back up again. Sky must have turned themselves off and back on again! ;)

jeffmr2
6th February 2008, 21:01
give them a call and sweet talk them. talk to someone with some authority and they may offer you a good deal to return. tell them that the nascar signing is tempting you to return but you need the added incentive. who knows, it may work.

Ive spent a very painfull hour on the phone to both setanta and sky and almost lost the will to live!!!The setanta person was adamant they have full sprint cup coverage for this season,starting this saturday night.He was not very helpfull at all i asked if he meant nationwide coverage but he replied no definatly sprint cup.
I phoned sky,got transfered from a scot to an indian to a scot and back to another indian!!The indian was a very pleasant person but with my strong welsh accent and his accent it was very difficult to say the least in trying to have a sensiblle conversation.Ive accepted what has been said on here as being correct and subscribed to sky variety mix and sky sports,i didnt even try for anything free!!!
The sky person said it would take 2 to 4 minutes before my account would be activated which funnily enough was over 15 mins ago and i still got no sky channels!!

pwb
6th February 2008, 21:48
Ive spent a very painfull hour on the phone to both setanta and sky and almost lost the will to live!!!The setanta person was adamant they have full sprint cup coverage for this season,starting this saturday night.He was not very helpfull at all i asked if he meant nationwide coverage but he replied no definatly sprint cup.
I phoned sky,got transfered from a scot to an indian to a scot and back to another indian!!The indian was a very pleasant person but with my strong welsh accent and his accent it was very difficult to say the least in trying to have a sensiblle conversation.Ive accepted what has been said on here as being correct and subscribed to sky variety mix and sky sports,i didnt even try for anything free!!!
The sky person said it would take 2 to 4 minutes before my account would be activated which funnily enough was over 15 mins ago and i still got no sky channels!!

Don't forget that Setanta outsource their cutomer service / care to Sky anyway - so whoever you ring, you get Sky but under a different umbrella!

Abo
6th February 2008, 22:57
do you have any sky stuff at present? if not, what about the bonus of cheap(or even free) broadband and free evening and weekend calls.

Hmm I'm already with Sky, I get all the mixes plus the top broadband and free evening, weekend *and* daytime calls, so I'm already getting all the cheap stuff. I toyed with switching the broadband down to the free one to offset some of the cost but with the amount of home working I do connected to the company VPN, plus other general use of the broadband I'd burn through the 2GB monthly cap in a couple of days... Plus I'm used to the faster upload speed the Max product gives me.

Besides, I think Sky get quite enough of my money, especially with another baby on the way!

acorn
7th February 2008, 17:09
The setanta person was adamant they have full sprint cup coverage for this season,starting this saturday night.He was not very helpfull at all i asked if he meant nationwide coverage but he replied no definatly sprint cup.

from the setanta website:

"February sees the start of America's high speed, high octance racing series, NASCAR, which is broadcast exclusively on NASN and is a must for all serious speed freaks! The coverage begins on the 16th of February with Race 1 from Camping World 300 – Daytona Int’l Speedway"

"Every race of the NASCAR Nextel Cup and the NASCAR Nationwide Series."

so nascar is broadcast exclusively on nasn is it? i think someone needs to tell sky then. and isn't the camping world 300 in the nationwide series not the sprint cup? what other bs will setanta dish out?

acorn
7th February 2008, 17:30
Panic over....its back up again. Sky must have turned themselves off and back on again! ;)

i sincerely hope you've added some extra time just in case but then again there is always the repeats.

pwb
7th February 2008, 18:52
from the setanta website:

"February sees the start of America's high speed, high octance racing series, NASCAR, which is broadcast exclusively on NASN and is a must for all serious speed freaks! The coverage begins on the 16th of February with Race 1 from Camping World 300 – Daytona Int’l Speedway"

"Every race of the NASCAR Nextel Cup and the NASCAR Nationwide Series."

so nascar is broadcast exclusively on nasn is it? i think someone needs to tell sky then. and isn't the camping world 300 in the nationwide series not the sprint cup? what other bs will setanta dish out?

Well lucky the NASN website is correct then.

ascarmarshal
7th February 2008, 20:20
I have cancelled NASN and added Sky Sports . After last years fiasco with NASN over Daytona and Martinsville I am gald that NASN haven't got Cup. I phoned NASN after Martinsville was cut off and was told it was NASCARs fault for having the rain delay and moving the finish.

eastlmark
7th February 2008, 22:35
Just called Setanta to cancel and have been offered the next 3 months at £5 a month, instead of the £15 I have been paying. Wasted an off season during which I never watched Setanta once. Will see how much Busch/Nationwide whatever I will watch and decide on canceling in a couple of months. Dreading having to put up with either that blonde woman that does A1 or the bloke that does IRL at every add break....give me pure un edited incar anyday.

Pieter Dams
8th February 2008, 09:38
OK, let me just recap here and see if i have understood things correctly:

all sprint cup races will be shown live or as-live on sky sports, possibly without the pre-race shows.

all nationwide races and NASCAR now will be shown live or as-live on NASN or NASN 2

i do have a few questions, though:

1. will NASN or NASN 2 also show reruns (as-live) of the sprint cup series? cuz if they do keep the pre race show, i'd rather watch the races on tape delay, actually.

2. are Five going to show any NASCAR at all and, if so, what exactly?

3. does anybody know if five are going to show the NHRA Drag Racing shows again?

thanks!

scotchman
8th February 2008, 09:50
From what I can see and having just cancelled my subscription to Setanta/NASN, they are only showing the NASCAR Now magazine show plus live coverage of the Nationwide Series. No Cup coverage is going to shown at all as Sky now have the contract to show it.

I'm REALLY hoping Sky can offer good coverage and not use their own presenters too often. These races require full US build-up coverage and I just hope that the powers that be see that and give us fans what we want.

It would be awesome if Sky decided to show some NASCAR on one of their HD channels, though

I'm just glad i'm going to £15 better off without my Setanta supscription..

colinspooky
8th February 2008, 11:06
why not support Nationwide/Busch too?

djparky
8th February 2008, 16:11
From what I can see and having just cancelled my subscription to Setanta/NASN, they are only showing the NASCAR Now magazine show plus live coverage of the Nationwide Series. No Cup coverage is going to shown at all as Sky now have the contract to show it.

I'm REALLY hoping Sky can offer good coverage and not use their own presenters too often. These races require full US build-up coverage and I just hope that the powers that be see that and give us fans what we want.

It would be awesome if Sky decided to show some NASCAR on one of their HD channels, though

I'm just glad i'm going to £15 better off without my Setanta supscription..

Sky have apparently been promoting NASCAR alot (I've seen one excellent trailer for it)- they're coverage of IRL has been excellent (those races I've watched)- my only concern is the huge number of ad breaks each NASCAR race has- are we gonna have ad breaks every 5 minutes as well?? I'm not so bothered about the pre-race shows, they tended to drag a bit with all the ad-breaks

with the wonderful news that OW could be unified in time for 2008 season Sky will have sown up US motorsport

bigun
8th February 2008, 17:50
why not support Nationwide/Busch too?

Well all true NASCAR fans will, I presume. I certainly will.

Really weird - NASCAR refers to the Sprint and Nationwide, yet some forget that. If you are a NASCAR fan then NASN has the magazine shows (and the Project) and Nationwide, so why cancel?

bigun
8th February 2008, 17:51

Well there is an HD feed to Europe so there are no excuses for Sky not showing NASCAR Sprint in HD.

XM369
8th February 2008, 18:37
ring setanic sports tell em you want to cancel coz you only watch nascar, they will then offer you the 9.99 deal, tell them no not intrested they will then offer you 3 months for £5 a month, see if they are any good with coverage then cancel if no good.

cgs
8th February 2008, 18:40
it is listed on HD2:

MOTORING: Live NASCAR
On: Sky Sports HD 2
Date: Sunday 17th February 2008 (starting in 9 days)
Time: 20:00 to 00:30 (4 hours and 30 minutes long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
(Widescreen, Live, Dolby Digital 5.1)
Marked By: 'Reminder: Live NASCAR' and 'Favourite: Live NASCAR' markers

the shootout repeat at midday on sunday is also on HD2 (but the live race is not)

cgs
8th February 2008, 18:41
also, the schedules now show there is NO sprint cup AT ALL on NASN/Setanta.

bigun
8th February 2008, 18:51
ring setanic sports tell em you want to cancel coz you only watch nascar, they will then offer you the 9.99 deal, tell them no not intrested they will then offer you 3 months for £5 a month, see if they are any good with coverage then cancel if no good.

and if they don't they you lose a lot of NASCAR coverage!

pwb
8th February 2008, 18:59
also, the schedules now show there is NO sprint cup AT ALL on NASN/Setanta.

Common sense ! Why show Sprint on NASN when Sky have already shown the race.

Overall there will still be more NASCAR coverage on NASN than Sky - a good split IMO. Let's await Sky's coverage!

ghostdancing
8th February 2008, 22:18
I was with SULTANA, but cancelled last Friday, once I knew SKY had NASCAR SPRINT. I would like to watch NASCAR NATIONWIDE, but feel that SULTANA have been a awful broadcaster, and so just wanted to lose them.

I won't really miss the cheesy NASCAR NOW show, as you can get all the same stuff on NASCAR.COM, when you want it, with all their videos etc.

I am sure I have the Bud Shootout Live on my SKY + at 1.30am this Sunday morning, and I also see it repeated at 12pm on the same Sunday. SKY have got to ease themselves into this, and I am willing to give them time, because I am just glad to lose SULTANA.

Wish everyone well who contributed meaningfully to this thread. Hope who ever you follow does you proud, and that Kurt Busch storms the Blue Deuce to his second Championship. Go Dodge !!

Cool, Kurt has the Bud Pole !!!!!

colinspooky
8th February 2008, 23:25
I was with you most of the time on that post, but then you had to ruin it all by saying something positive about Kurt, and I sighed..... :eek:

colinspooky
8th February 2008, 23:55
Just thinking - Sky won't have the pre-race show - that's on Speed while the race is on Fox.
So for all you pre-race fans, there's still TVU ;)

pwb
9th February 2008, 10:57
I was with SULTANA, but cancelled last Friday, once I knew SKY had NASCAR SPRINT. I would like to watch NASCAR NATIONWIDE, but feel that SULTANA have been a awful broadcaster, and so just wanted to lose them.

I won't really miss the cheesy NASCAR NOW show, as you can get all the same stuff on NASCAR.COM, when you want it, with all their videos etc.

Well, as you say Setanta are awful, lucky ESPN now own NASN and hopefully will completely break free soon! As a true NASCAR fan, I need Nationwide as well. I enjoy NASCAR now, just can not sit in front of a pc to watch video.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
9th February 2008, 11:19
Anyone else noticed they cant play videos from NASCAR.com any more?. I think we have been frozen out.

Bev_Alvin
9th February 2008, 11:49
Hi All
Thanks for the input re Sky, I will now up my subs to include Sky Sports and cancel Nasn/Sultana not that it will be missed. Re the coverage on Sky the Daytona 500 is on Sky2 at 20.00 untill 00.30 so no pre race coverage "Bummer" see http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/wtv.php?week=233&chan=SPG2 and is in HD for all of those that have forked out £250 and extra £10 a month. Next job to email Sky Sports editor to plead for the pre race coverage and no Idiots in the Sky studio, i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
Alvin

bigun
9th February 2008, 13:46
Hi All
Thanks for the input re Sky, I will now up my subs to include Sky Sports and cancel Nasn/Sultana not that it will be missed. Re the coverage on Sky the Daytona 500 is on Sky2 at 20.00 untill 00.30 so no pre race coverage "Bummer" see http://data.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/wtv.php?week=233&chan=SPG2 and is in HD for all of those that have forked out £250 and extra £10 a month. Next job to email Sky Sports editor to plead for the pre race coverage and no Idiots in the Sky studio, i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
Alvin

As a NASCAR fan where are you going to watch the Nationwide and Nascar project?
As a NASCAR fan I can't only watch 50% of the NASCAR coverage.

I agree not having the pre-race is an absolute disaster, but we may be surprised...and have no constant studio breaks. Let's hope.

As to High Definition - excellent if true - HD actually only cost me £159. There are always loads of different offers.

colinspooky
9th February 2008, 15:47
so who is staying up?

bigun
9th February 2008, 16:19
so who is staying up?

I'll watch the first 1/2 hour then watch it AS LIVE the next morning. Really interrest in Sky's presentation.

Will comment on it tomorrow.

cgs
9th February 2008, 16:43
i'm gonna try and stay up! if not i'll watch the midday repeat tomorrow

GARYGAZZA
9th February 2008, 18:11
I for one will be staying up to watch it.Bring it on.#88 to win :s mokin:

jeffmr2
9th February 2008, 18:20
My plan is to go to bed 6.30 get up at 9 hopefully watch the arce race on tvu,then nascar now and nascar project (whatever that is) on nasn,try to sleep again and stay up for the shootout on sky.Tomorrows miday repeat clashes with the manchester derby and i want to see city hammer utd lol!!

Simmi
9th February 2008, 18:28
My plan is to go to bed 6.30 get up at 9 hopefully watch the arce race on tvu,then nascar now and nascar project (whatever that is) on nasn,try to sleep again and stay up for the shootout on sky.Tomorrows miday repeat clashes with the manchester derby and i want to see city hammer utd lol!!

Im going to be cutting it fine to get in tonight in time for the race. Same as you I dont want to miss the game tomorrow, but unlike you I'm hoping for a Red win.

If the practice was anything to go by the race should be awesome!

GARYGAZZA
9th February 2008, 18:31
City to hammer Utd and Liverpool to hammer Chelsea,Gunners to win and Junior to win tonight and get a front row for the 500.

ghostdancing
9th February 2008, 20:52
I'm going to stay up for it.

Gonna get some sleep after 11, then set the alarm to wake me for 1.15.
I have the wireless headphones ready, the buds, and the snacks.

It's a must to watch the first green flag and the first corner and hopefully with the US commentary those legendary words of 'Reach up there........'.

My prediction is that Dale Jr, Jimmie and Jeff forget they are on the same team, have a drafting distaster leading up to the mini-big one in the 50 lap section, leaving Kurt Bush to hopefully avoid Tony Stewart and take the chequers.

NB, Dale Jr new race suit colours make him look like a waiter !

jeffmr2
9th February 2008, 21:12
No signal on my tvu player for wheels channel so no arca race coverage for me :(
Remarkably had a good 2 hours kip between 7 and 9 (how lazy is that lol) so try to stay awake for rest of night.

colinspooky
9th February 2008, 21:27
No signal on my tvu player for wheels channel so no arca race coverage for me :(

weak signal but i am watching it

1st caution - women drivers :p

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th February 2008, 00:25
so who is staying up?

Me, just got in from the pub!!!. I cant wait!!!!!!!

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th February 2008, 00:26
Anyone else noticed they cant play videos from NASCAR.com any more?. I think we have been frozen out.

So is this just me then??

JovialJooles
10th February 2008, 00:39
No, I'm up waiting too! :D

bigun
10th February 2008, 00:51
Really enjoyed that (1 hour) Nascar (Project) show on NASN just now (after Nascar Now) - about Dale through the last few months.

Great addition to the schedule.

ghostdancing
10th February 2008, 01:07
So is this just me then??

Nope, I can not play NASCAR.COM videos at the moment.

Soon be NASCAR on Sky Sports 3.
Wow, It is finally back on, lets hope SKY do it justice !!

El Sween
10th February 2008, 01:08
I am staying up for the race. I am so excited that I have actually posted a message on this board for the first time in six months.

GARYGAZZA
10th February 2008, 01:08
Im here.Minus 22 minutes and counting.sky sports 3 and pit command all fired up

garys289
10th February 2008, 01:11
I'm up, cant wait, but anxious as to what Sky will deliver.

I swear if i see Paul Cherry or Christopher Tate, im turning off the tv

GARYGAZZA
10th February 2008, 01:22
watching a vidio stream of prerace.They just singing their national anthem.Hurry up Sky

El Sween
10th February 2008, 01:31
We are off!

jeffmr2
10th February 2008, 01:33
Hey its the reigning european ascar champion Ben Collins!!!

El Sween
10th February 2008, 01:37
Busch and Stewart are nuts!

Here we go!!

El Sween
10th February 2008, 01:46
All good so far.

ghostdancing
10th February 2008, 01:48
Not too bad

Ben Collins does not have a clue, but maybe he did not see the pictures before he got the Busch/Stewart fight wrong.

Hey Hey, it's the US commentary as well. Phew !!!

And he did say, all 39 races live.

bigun
10th February 2008, 01:50
Well I'm off to bed. Watch the rest tomorrow:

Good points so far: Widescreen, Slightly better picture quality than NASN/ Kept US commentary

Bad points so far: No driver intros, no pre race and no National Anthem etc. No in car camera during US breaks

garys289
10th February 2008, 02:00
[email:2vzitcqy]nascar@skysports.com[/email:2vzitcqy] im sure there will be emails going to that address tommorrow.

jeffmr2
10th February 2008, 02:11
This is dreadfull,instead of the pit stop/break we have to watch Ben Collins' test drive in the red bull car.They are destroying the atmsophere of being at daytona. I wont e-mail now as dont want to be too critical.

garys289
10th February 2008, 02:15
. I wont e-mail now as dont want to be too critical.

Same here, but i will send a nice mail tommorrow, and i suggest other do the same, just so they know people are interested and actually care about it.

Widescreen is awesome, quality is great

Knowlesy
10th February 2008, 02:25
It's not so bad, I am very happy with the picture quality and suchlike at least.

It is really hard to adjust to the studio aspect though. How will this feel for a long 500 mile race? I wouldn't mind if they were at the track and were knowledgeable.

Also, earlier they went from the studio in the UK straight to the US studio! This kind of screams out that the UK studio is pointless.

Surely Sky can work it so we don't have the UK studio elements? Without those I'm almost 100% satisfied.

garys289
10th February 2008, 03:20
This is very annoying -too much studio, and neither Keith or Ben seem to know what they are talking about or who the drivers are "that guy drove into....that guy"

Not impressed so far

Knowlesy
10th February 2008, 03:27
The encouraging thing is they are seemingly willing to listen to the viewers.

I reeled off an e-mail, polite and all that, commending them on the picture and production values but explaining the importance of getting rid of the UK studio and perhaps reducing the ad breaks a bit.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th February 2008, 03:31
It appears they know we think they are a pair of usless tits.

"we will take the criticism on board"

Lets just prey they do.

But lets not be to down great racing today. 88 was genius. :D

cgs
10th February 2008, 03:35
i like how they say they welcome criticisum (i can't spell that word!) and how they have got some already. lets hope they take notice and give us a better show than tonight for the '500. i may even ask if they have any jobs as an advisor for them! show the producer a thing or 2 about putting on a good show!

tstran17_88
10th February 2008, 03:40
Be happy you're not in the states. All though your Nascar coverage may suck, at least you're not looking at -15 F temps overnight like I am. Global warming my arse!

blown50stang
10th February 2008, 03:45
YOU NEED THE PRE RACE AND POST RACE SHOW FROM FOX OR WHOEVER IS SHOWING IT.Uk commentry before or after the show spoils the atmosphere for true Nascar fans ,hey guys Nasn had the broadcasting right we got everything live as seen in the states all the build up and info anyone would need you cannot just show 1 minute of jr and Stuart after the race , please sky just show us it the way Fox show it and give us the full build up for the 500.

GARYGAZZA
10th February 2008, 10:10
Over all not a bad first effort.When they went back to studio ,the stream i had running also went to ad breaks.The one major irritation I did have was that Keith Huwen keep calling Junior, Dale Earnhardt!
Great result,Junior back in victory lane.

bigun
10th February 2008, 10:19
Well I enjoyed the widescreen and the slightly better picture quality (than NASN), however:

No pre race from the track, too many studio / advert breaks - NASN had that perfect - staying with in -car. As for the post race.... I better not comment.

There was no flow to the race. Every time I got into it, back to studio.

Hopefully they will take into consideration for next week.

Dave17
10th February 2008, 10:35
I've got suround sound and the sound quality is far better than when on NASN.

We'll have to put up with the UK studio thing, it's Skys way of presenting all sport-not just motorsport. I think Keith and Ben will get more into it as the season progresses.

Delenn
10th February 2008, 10:43
No, we don't have to put up with the studio thing. Last year, complaining to ESPN about their coverage have resulted in a lot of changes (including the departure of Erik Klueless, Suzy, Brent, Fowler etc, and DJ to the booth (in place of Rusty when available)).

I have just sent a nicely worded email to Sky, explaining to them that axing the UK studio actually saves them money!

In truth, that was every bit as bad as I expected. Anyone know if anyone is doing an HD quality torrent for 08??? PM me if you do. Thanks.