PDA

View Full Version : Good PC?

F1nostalgic
11th December 2007, 19:28
Hey all, I am looking to replace this eMachines with a much better PC. This one is about a year old, is a Celeron with 1GB RAM and has since got Vista Home Premium installed. It gets slow once in a while but Vista is stable on this. I saw THIS (http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=424137&cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_-PC_Base_Units-_-position1) in Comet the other day.

What do you think? I've heard HP makes some good PCs and the man in Comet in said it's a pretty good PC for the price and that he reccommends it himself. :D

Daniel
11th December 2007, 19:47
Thing is he's not going to say it's crap now is he? ;)

It's fine other than the fact that it doesn't say what speed the processor is which doesn't inspire confidence. If you can wait a month and a half Intel are releasing newer, faster and more efficient processors. So you can get something better for your money or this PC will be even cheaper.

F1nostalgic
11th December 2007, 20:04
Thing is he's not going to say it's crap now is he? ;)

It's fine other than the fact that it doesn't say what speed the processor is which doesn't inspire confidence. If you can wait a month and a half Intel are releasing newer, faster and more efficient processors. So you can get something better for your money or this PC will be even cheaper.

Thanks for that, I plan to wait up to 2 months anyway, because I am in no rush to get a new one, as this one is still ok for the time being. :)

janneppi
11th December 2007, 20:18
I ordered a good pc today, full of numbers and weird letter combo's. I'll have my flat mate build it tomorrow so I can play Spider Solitaire on it until the bloody Geforce 8800Gt's are shipped to Finland sometime in February. :(

Daniel
11th December 2007, 20:21
8800 GT. I hate you :p

What are the specs? :)

janneppi
11th December 2007, 20:27
- Intel core duo 6750
- 2x1Gb memory
- 500GB hard drive
- suitable motherboard with some bells and whistles
- Chieftec 560W PSU
- Antec p180 case

that's it really. :)

Oh, and a Vista home premium for me to poop on.

Daniel
11th December 2007, 20:29
- Intel core duo 6750
- 2x1Gb memory
- 500GB hard drive
- suitable motherboard with some bells and whistles
- Chieftec 560W PSU
- Antec p180 case

that's it really. :)
Nice. P180 is a very good case. I should know! There's one sitting right next to me :)

I assume you'll be buying some games and playing on line with your fellow forumers? ;)

janneppi
11th December 2007, 20:35
Well, my mates are playing COD4 as I speak. :)
I'm also finally able to play RBR(which I got three years ago as a chirstmas present) for the first time in my [i]own[/] computer. :(

Daniel
11th December 2007, 20:39
Well, my mates are playing COD4 as I speak. :)
I'm also finally able to play RBR(which I got three years ago as a chirstmas present) for the first time in my [i]own[/] computer. :(
Well when you get Steam installed PM me your SteamID and I'll add you. I can definitely reccomend that you buy the "Orange Box" which contains Team Fortress 2 which is truly the most glorious game to ever be made :)

Valve Bounce
11th December 2007, 21:28
The problem with buying PC's is that less than a month after anyone buys a PC, a newer one is released with better specs is available for the same price.
This has been the history of buying PC's since like forever.

At present my DELL is still going (touch wood) but as soon as it conks out I will have to buy a new one as the 3 year warranty has expired.

My next one will be purchsed after I have a long and serious discussion with Daniel - as I have to look for the best price for reasonable specs. Can't afford to go top of the line as it would simply be wasted on me for what I need. Right now, I have excellent graphics for MechWarrior4MERCS version MP3.

My e-mail works, the forum works ( :P ) and yahoo works.

Daniel
11th December 2007, 23:54
The problem with buying PC's is that less than a month after anyone buys a PC, a newer one is released with better specs is available for the same price.
This has been the history of buying PC's since like forever.

Of course. But there sometimes it's very much worth waiting for the next generation of products.

Janneppi wants to buy an 8800gt which is priced in the mid range yet performs as well as some top end graphics cards yet if he went out and bought a card now he would be wasting his money compared to just waiting a bit and getting something much better value for money.

At the end of the day it's all about value for money for me. Why spend £300 now for something when in a month you can get something better for £200

VB. If you only buy one PC every few years then wait till early to mid next year. Intel are releasing a whole new bunch of processors which all things going well will be a fair bit faster than the current processors they're selling.

Zico
12th December 2007, 02:22
Re- RBR... to get the best out of this brilliant sim you really need a Force feedback wheel, it totally transformed the game for me.. I can feel whats happening with the car... grip levels.. etc etc.
If you have or get one, the standard settings within the game need to be totally changed before it will work properly. Drop me a pm if you need any help on the settings.

Enjoy your new PC.. :)

F1nostalgic
12th December 2007, 17:55
I forgot to add BTW, I am not much of a PC gamer, I use my PS2 for that. I use my PC for surfing the net, playing music, MSN, IRC, emails and I watch the occasional video. This PC is fine for most of those use but the Celeron processor causes the music and video to stutter a lot. :o

Daniel
12th December 2007, 17:57
I forgot to add BTW, I am not much of a PC gamer, I use my PS2 for that. I use my PC for surfing the net, playing music, MSN, IRC, emails and I watch the occasional video. This PC is fine for most of those use but the Celeron processor causes the music and video to stutter a lot. :o
Any Core 2 Duo processor will do for you. But as I said wait till February or so and prices should come down or you'll be able to get something better for your money :)

Dave B
12th December 2007, 18:26
Hey all, I am looking to replace this eMachines with a much better PC. This one is about a year old, is a Celeron with 1GB RAM and has since got Vista Home Premium installed. It gets slow once in a while but Vista is stable on this. I saw THIS (http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=424137&cm_sp=FeatureEnd-_-PC_Base_Units-_-position1) in Comet the other day.

What do you think? I've heard HP makes some good PCs and the man in Comet in said it's a pretty good PC for the price and that he reccommends it himself. :D
I haven't looked at the PC itself - I'll leave that to Daniel - but please for the sake of your sanity don't buy it from Comet. Their aftersales is utterly dreadful (in my personal opinion, lawyers) and I'm willing to bet the machine itself will be overpriced. And they'll try selling you finance or an extended warranty you don't need.

F1nostalgic
12th December 2007, 18:49
I haven't looked at the PC itself - I'll leave that to Daniel - but please for the sake of your sanity don't buy it from Comet. Their aftersales is utterly dreadful (in my personal opinion, lawyers) and I'm willing to bet the machine itself will be overpriced. And they'll try selling you finance or an extended warranty you don't need.

I've yet to look in PC World and Dell, so I should look there too. :o :)

Any Core 2 Duo processor will do for you. But as I said wait till February or so and prices should come down or you'll be able to get something better for your money :)

Hopefully when I wait then my mum will help me out a little then as I turn 18 in February, so that could be handy. :D

Daniel
12th December 2007, 18:52
I've yet to look in PC World and Dell, so I should look there too. :o :)

Hopefully when I wait then my mum will help me out a little then as I turn 18 in February, so that could be handy. :D
Do not go into PC world. PC world fund terrorism, eat small children, grossly overcharge and assist missing canoeists.

F1nostalgic
12th December 2007, 19:19
Do not go into PC world. PC world fund terrorism, eat small children, grossly overcharge and assist missing canoeists.

Dell it is then. :p :D

Daniel
12th December 2007, 19:21
As much as I dislike Dell's (I use one at work and it's OK but still a bucket of crap) I have to admit they're good value and it's better than dealing with a small PC shop that probably won't be there in 6 months time.