PDA

View Full Version : Alonso back to McLaren ?

pino
5th December 2007, 09:54
According to Spanish AS, McLaren could offer Alonso 1 year contract...

http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/formula-automovilismo-deportes/dasmot/20071205dasdaimot_1/Tes

pino
5th December 2007, 10:00
For those who cannot read spanish, the article also says that many partners/sponsors were not happy and disagreed with Dennis for let Alonso go...We will see if this is another off-season bull :p :

Mark
5th December 2007, 10:03
Stranger things have happened :p . McLaren looks like Alonso's best option if he doesn't like what Renault is offering.

Would Lewis carry the 22 and Alonso the 23?!

leopard
5th December 2007, 10:04

http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/formula-automovilismo-deportes/dasmot/20071205dasdaimot_1/Tes

Esta bien, salud!

555-04Q2
5th December 2007, 10:04
It is the logical choice. Sure he is not happy at Mac but it is the best drive he will be able to get for next year.

Ranger
5th December 2007, 10:10
Doubt it. But hey, who doesn't love fireworks? :D

No chance in hell he'll be there in 2009 though.

samehere
5th December 2007, 10:15

I do not think they want him back...I could not imagine how the relationship between alonso and dennis and hamilton would be after this season...they would probably start to fight during the season :-) amn it would be gtreat...we would not need to watch box on tv in the night we would need just to watch a F1 race and there would be everything...a race and a fight :-)

passmeatissue
5th December 2007, 11:15
Ron is not a vindictive guy, but McLaren is his team, he loves it, Fernando betrayed it. Not a chance!

As for Fernando, his situation could only be 1,000 times worse than last year. Not a chance there either!

FA will just have to drop his price to get in at Toyota or Honda.

Valve Bounce
5th December 2007, 11:46
It will be Renault for 3 years or Alonso will have to take a year off - that's my guess.

Jag_Warrior
5th December 2007, 11:47
I have it on good word that Ron has had second thoughts, and offered Alonso a chance to return to the McLaren organization. He's contacted Fernando about a critical position... that he would love to see Alonso take. And with this, he will be the #1 driver.

http://www.magmedix.com/images/products/custodial_cart02.jpg
:D

Osella
5th December 2007, 12:42
Well, stranger things have happened...

After all, the one driver Dennis said he would never ever have drive for him was Nigel Mansell... However, when Marlboro insisted he have a big name driver to partner the inexperienced Mika Hakkinen, look what heppened...

Mansell also said he would not return to F1 after 1992...but he came back twice! Dennis also very nearly convinced Alain Prost to undo his retirement...so it wouldn't be a surprise. A shock perhaps, but not altogether surprising...

I still think there's a much higher chance of Sutil ending up there tho ;)

markabilly
5th December 2007, 12:50
Ron is not a vindictive guy, but McLaren is his team, he loves it, Fernando betrayed it. Not a chance!

As for Fernando, his situation could only be 1,000 times worse than last year. Not a chance there either!

FA will just have to drop his price to get in at Toyota or Honda.
For thos not drinking the kool aid, as I point out in silly season, would realize that LH was the one who we have two documented episodes of betrayal....

But I say no way, RD wants to max out the chances of his baby toy tosser getting a wdc.....however, money does talk

MAX_THRUST
5th December 2007, 12:50
Regardless of how good a driver Alonso is he hasn't exactly bathed himself in sunshine this year. Regardless of how he feels he was treated, he showed no loyalty to his team. A year off would do him the world of good, to reflect on what he has accomplished this year. Would you employ him for a year? Most of the top teams are settled on their drivers, if ROn takes him back I will be stunned into silence........for a bout a minute.

Think Valve Bounce is spot on. Year off or 3 years with Renault. That's assuming they are not banned next year or pull out.

MAX_THRUST
5th December 2007, 12:53
There are plenty of talented drivers out there if given the right car will perform well. How many drivers in lesser teams with smaller wage requirements would want the seat. ALL OF THEM I THINK!!!!!!!!! Ron's got the chance to pick any number of drivers. He took a chance with Lewis and it nearly paid off.

Osella
5th December 2007, 13:05
Yes, but he took a chance with Hamilton 12 years ago... since then he's been able to see a lot of what he can do...thereby making it a lot less risky putting him in the car than, say, Vettel or Sutil. On that basis, I really hope he goes for Gary Paffett..I think even Dennis may be surprised if he gave Paffett the same chance he gave Hamilton!

Rudy Tamasz
5th December 2007, 13:34
Like we say an old enemy is better than a new friend. Ron and Fernando have already done all the harm they could do to each other. Now that they have eaten through a thick layer of $h1t on the sandwich it's about time to get to the cheese and bacon. I'm sure next season could be much more positive for them than the previous one.

passmeatissue
5th December 2007, 14:06
For thos not drinking the kool aid, as I point out in silly season, would realize that LH was the one who we have two documented episodes of betrayal....

But I say no way, RD wants to max out the chances of his baby toy tosser getting a wdc.....however, money does talk

In your mind you must think these sociopathic posts reduce our respect for Hamilton? You would be dismayed if you understood their actual effect.

Fernando, Hammy and Ron know that Hammy would beat Fernando again next year. If Ron were vindictive, that is the only reason he would let FA back
in. As it is, he's not vindictive and FA will race in a lesser team and pay his just penalty for extreme disloyalty - no wins in 2008.

SGWilko
5th December 2007, 14:11
I have it on good word that Ron has had second thoughts, and offered Alonso a chance to return to the McLaren organization. He's contacted Fernando about a critical position... that he would love to see Alonso take. And with this, he will be the #1 driver.

Better not fill that baby with water, FIA will see that as a disguised mass damper.

And you might view the wringing handle as a moveable aerodynamic device.

Apart from that, like the colour scheme......... :laugh:

markabilly
5th December 2007, 15:17
In your mind you must think these sociopathic posts reduce our respect for Hamilton? You would be dismayed if you understood their actual effect.

Fernando, Hammy and Ron know that Hammy would beat Fernando again next year. If Ron were vindictive, that is the only reason he would let FA back
in. As it is, he's not vindictive and FA will race in a lesser team and pay his just penalty for extreme disloyalty - no wins in 2008.
"Again?""

You forget that at the end of the year, both Freddie and Hammy lost to Kimi by the same number of points---ONE

And the WDC is the only real competition that counts---second place is for the first place loser--so I do not see how Hammy 'beat" anyone except himself when he choked

As to the comment about vindicative--vindicative got nothing to do with it--- the only reason that any of them are there in the first place, is money.

The only reason that FA would be back is money.

And wins translates into money from sponsors.......so who do you want?????????Someone to bring the cash cow home if you are serious about business!!!!

gloomyDAY
5th December 2007, 15:23
Que articulo tan chistoso.

Loved the replies by everyone as well.

markabilly
5th December 2007, 15:28
Better not fill that baby with water, FIA will see that as a disguised mass damper.

And you might view the wringing handle as a moveable aerodynamic device.

Apart from that, like the colour scheme......... :laugh:
I don't know, yellow seems to appropriately fit all of them, very well..... :D

Buzz Lightyear
5th December 2007, 15:48
i would say alonso is back looking for a deal, rather than the other way round. alonso maybe realises that he is not such hot property, and cannot dictate terms.

janneppi
5th December 2007, 15:49

Yeah, FA can hardly come out demanding number 1 status for next season in the team after being beaten by his teammate this season. :p :

W8&C
5th December 2007, 15:54
Maybe Alonso offered RD to work as a paydriver. Guess 100 Mio would be sufficient for 08. :D

ClarkFan
5th December 2007, 16:43

:rotflmao:

Does that ride meet the new requirements on traction control and have an engine that has been homologated? There is also the risk that you could store fluids to meet the minimum weight.

;)

ClarkFan

Storm
5th December 2007, 17:48
If this happens, are Ron and Lewis going to look stupid or what?
Not going to happen though.

W8&C
5th December 2007, 18:18
At least that move would make for a lively forum next year. :)

F1boat
5th December 2007, 18:30
I think that either Fernando will return to Renault, or he;d take a year off and perhaps will go to N/H/L in Champ Car.

markabilly
5th December 2007, 19:05
Yeah, FA can hardly come out demanding number 1 status for next season in the team after being beaten by his teammate this season. :p :
and the point difference between the two was exactly zero, yep that is a complete but kick okay.. :D

LeonBrooke
5th December 2007, 20:03
I think that both parties would look extremely silly if they got back together. After their big announcement where they wished each other the best for the future, they'd be quite shame-faced to have to return to each other.

However, I think neither party has much of a choice. I don't think there are any drivers out there who could match Alonso - choosing anyone else would seem like desperation, and it's the same for Alonso - no other team would be able to do him justice. I still think that they should never have split in the first place.

ioan
5th December 2007, 22:58
Fernando, Hammy and Ron know that Hammy would beat Fernando again next year.

Good joke! (and I'm no FA fan!)

Mihai
5th December 2007, 23:53
To be honest, I had this wild thought about three weeks ago and I even wanted to start a topic here. I would like to see it happening... just because it's totally crazy. Although it does make some sense (Ron probably needs to sign Alonso under new terms, perhaps less favourable to the driver).

Valve Bounce
6th December 2007, 00:37
Well, one person who would be delighted would be Bernie - there would certainly be a helluva lot of interest to see how things pan out within McLaren with Alonso pitted against Lewis Hamilton - like having Senna pitted against Prost all over again. :eek:
I can see the dollar signs spinning in Bernie's pupils. :D

leopard
6th December 2007, 09:14
calculated lose. :)

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 09:27
Fernando, Hammy and Ron know that Hammy would beat Fernando again next year.

I can only see Lewis improving, and learning from the errors of this season. Nando is battle hardened in F1, and his learning/improvement curve is likely to be flatter than Lewis's.

So I think you are spot on there. The joke is firmly on Nando......

leopard
6th December 2007, 09:52
he has passed his learning curves perfectly, no need another ones :)

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 09:56
he has passed his learning curves perfectly, no need another ones :)

Well, in that case Lewis is going to veritably thrash Nando next year then if Nando can learn no more.

Valve Bounce
6th December 2007, 10:36
Well, in that case Lewis is going to veritably thrash Nando next year then if Nando can learn no more.

I don't think so!!

leopard
6th December 2007, 10:39
I don't think so!!
How could you come to this conclusion?? :D

leopard
6th December 2007, 10:57
He only needs convenient environment to drive wholeheartedly. :)

passmeatissue
6th December 2007, 12:09
I have a rule of thumb (dont' ask me to justify it...) that drivers improve about .4 second during their first year. Look at Nico, for example. Look at the other rookies and how up-and-down they were - Kovy, Sutil. Project those examples onto Hammy for his year 2 and Fernando can only flee to another team :eek: .

I felt Hammy went from about .2 slower than FA to about .2 quicker. By the last two races nobody seemed to be expecting Fernando to outrace Lewis, especially after the information that Lewis took .2 out of Fernando in two braking zones in Q3.

Fernando did improve in the first half of the year, but he took time to adapt, and had to have different brakes fitted. The changes in 2008 and 09 will be a similar challenge, and Lewis looks more adaptable, as he showed in his Suzuki Liana :) .

ioan
6th December 2007, 12:31
I have a rule of thumb (dont' ask me to justify it...) that drivers improve about .4 second during their first year.

Is that .4 seconds per lap (and in this case is it at Monaco or SPA?), per race or per season? :p :

ioan
6th December 2007, 12:32
I don't think so!!

How dare you say that? Don't you know that Lewis is the best thing that happened to F1 since Jenson Button?! :D ;)

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 13:45
How dare you say that? Don't you know that Lewis is the best thing that happened to F1 since Jenson Button?! :D ;)

Easy Drifter
6th December 2007, 16:47
Ron: "Freddie, we would be happy to have you back. Now about salary, how does $100,000,000.00 Sound? No No. Freddie, we do not pay you that. That is what you pay us. :bomb:

Big Ben
6th December 2007, 20:27
Is that .4 seconds per lap (and in this case is it at Monaco or SPA?), per race or per season? :p :

he has just made it up.

ioan
6th December 2007, 23:24

I knew you would like it! ;)

ioan
6th December 2007, 23:25
he has just made it up.

Yeah, it was obvious! ;)

Valve Bounce
7th December 2007, 02:37

Good one. However, aftre the initial laugh, I began to think about this, and I must say that Lewis sure impressed me a helluva lot more in his rookie year in F1 than bunsen in all his years in F1.

But then, some would suggest that I am biased against bunsen. I always thought the guy was shoehorned into F1 because Frank thought he looked lovely. Now with his scratchy beard, he just looks weird. :eek:

ioan
11th December 2007, 19:45
I guess we can forget about this rumor now! ;)

Valve Bounce
11th December 2007, 21:10
It was never going to happen - just something to keep this forum ticking over before it conked out. :(

markabilly
12th December 2007, 14:30
I guess we can forget about this rumor now! ;)

It was never going to happen - just something to keep this forum ticking over before it conked out. :(

Where have you been the last few days? Freddie will be in a Mac after all...just not using a Merc engine....... :D