PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 2008

Paul Holroyd
4th December 2007, 11:26
Anyone going to Daytona!

At last I will be attending the 2008 24 hours of Daytona for the first time.

I was wondering if anyone can give some good advise on best place to view, take photos and what and not and what to see.

I will be presenting a commission to Alegra Motorsport (winners of this years GT Class)

Cant wait perhaps I could meet up with one or two of you.

DavePI2
5th December 2007, 12:22
I have never been there but I would assum anywhere in the infield would be preferable to the grandstands. Now MidOhio , that is the place to watch a race.

David

IMSAFAN1
6th December 2007, 19:38
I've been attending the 24 hours of daytona since 1985. The place was great before they started to light up the front straight. Sit in the grandstand for the start and the finish after that get your butt into the infield. The best place to watch the race is at either one of the horseshoes. Then wander around the paddock area. The race comes alive during night time. Dress warm at night as the temp. drops. Most of all have fun and enjoy. Also on saturday morning get to the paddock area and find out where the driver's meeting is and hang outside the door with a good Sharpie and a program.

Paul Holroyd
20th December 2007, 15:28
Thanks for that some very good advise.

We are not stopping to far away from the track so that helps a lot, I do go to Le Mans every year and the traffic is murder should I be aware of the same problem at Daytona!

I am hoping that due the fact that I will be presenting the painting to race team Carlos will have few Pit Passes waiting for me.

Where's the best beer tent.

jonhall
28th December 2007, 19:32
Here's some info on what to do at the track.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/news/rolex_24_at_daytona/

jonhall
8th January 2008, 00:43
Is there a bikini contest like in sebring?

jonhall
10th January 2008, 18:50
Patrick Dempsey is also racing.

jonhall
10th January 2008, 19:06
Full-Time (in 2008) NASCAR Drivers to Compete in the Rolex 24 are :
Kurt Busch (2004 Cup Champion)
Jimmie Johnson (2006 & 2007 Cup Champion)
Dario Franchitti (2007 IndyCar Champion to Sprint Series)
Juan Montoya (2007 Nextel Cup rookie of the year)
AJ Allmendinger (Nascar driver)

Other Drivers of Interest to Compete in the Rolex 24 are :
Scott Pruett (NASCAR part-time)
Scott Dixon (2003 IndyCar Champion)
Dan Wheldon (2005 IndyCar Champion)
Helio Castroneves (from IndyCar) (2001 & 2002 Indianapolis 500 Winner)
Jimmy Vasser (1996 CART Champion)
Buddy Rice (from IndyCar) (2004 Indianapolis 500 Winner)
Justin Wilson (CART 4 wins)
JC France (nephew of Bill France, Jr.)
Colin Braun (Nascar Craftsman Truck Series Rookie Contender)
Andrew Ranger (2007 NASCAR Canadian Tire Champion)
Bill Lester (Former Craftsman Truck Series driver)

Competing in the GT - Grand Touring Class are :
Boris Said (NASCAR part-time)
Robert Doornbos (from Champ Car)
Patrick Dempsey (actor)
Kevin Roush (Jack Roush son)

jonhall
14th January 2008, 00:26
Derek Bell is driving.

jonhall
15th January 2008, 19:04
The race will be on HD.

jonhall
17th January 2008, 01:17
Ted Christopher to run Daytona 24.

jonhall
18th January 2008, 03:33
I got an email saying that Kid rock will be performing.

jonhall
18th January 2008, 20:27
In spite of finding themselves behind the ideal timeline for preparation, Vision Racing will make its second appearance in the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Special Reserve. Signed drivers John Andretti, Ed Carpenter, A.J. Foyt IV and Vitor Meira will join team owner, Tony George, behind the wheel of the No. 03 Vision Racing Porsche Crawford Daytona Prototype in the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

http://grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9420 (http://grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9420)

Erki
18th January 2008, 20:53
Tõnis Kasemets is also going to take part at Daytona 24 as teammate to Derek Bell. :cool:

racecontrol
19th January 2008, 02:41
Hi Paul, My name is Richard Bittmann, I will be working as Race Control for the 24 at Daytona next week. Although I'll be in the tower much of the time I would be glad to show you around some during my breaks. Turns 3,5 and 6 are the best viewing as far as I'm concerned,although turn 1 at night can be fun when viewed from the NASCAR grandstand. My next door neighbor,Scooter Gabel, was one of the Alegra Drivers who won GT last year and will be driving again this race. Call when you get into town and remind me of my message. 813-785-0124

jonhall
21st January 2008, 18:32
sorry I meant sum 41.

jonhall
22nd January 2008, 04:07
Richard Childress Racing (RCR) and Howard Motorsports have joined forces as Childress-Howard Motorsports (CHM) to field a Daytona Prototype team for a limited number of events in the 2008 Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16.

http://grand-am.com/rolex/news/index.cfm?cid=13567 (http://grand-am.com/rolex/news/index.cfm?cid=13567)

BobbyC
22nd January 2008, 23:23
No, there is no Le Mans-style peep show, but Daytona does have something better for fans -- a 5,000 meter run (oval and road course) and also the Crocs Walk (one lap around the oval!).

The track opens at 5:30 AM for registration for the 7 AM Daytona 5K run. The Crocs Walk starts after the gun sounds for the runners to run a lap around Daytona.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/documents/FINALdaytona5kcrocswalk_c.gif

For $27 (if you pay by Friday) or $35 (on race day) you can enter the Saturday morning 5K (gun time 7 AM) and get a ticket to the Rolex. There is a kids run at 8 AM.

So race fans who want to lace up their running shoes and do some early morning running can head to the track, pay their $35, and get a ticket to watch the race after they run their 5K.

jonhall
24th January 2008, 03:16
My brother had to cancel at the last minute. I have a West Lot pass (outside track in turn one area) plus two super tickets. Face value is $320, will take $160 for all. Lot spot is equiped to take a large rv. There are no hook ups but is close to track enterce. I am in Daytona Beach right now and can meet you anywhere/any time. If you are interested email me a phone number where I can reach you.
My email is: [email:2soie8f6]forgator@aol.com[/email:2soie8f6]

wedge
1st February 2008, 23:41
Reading this thread makes me wish I brought a ticket to Florida :(