PDA

View Full Version : Brian France blames Nascar deline in rating on....

SoCalPVguy
4th December 2007, 00:53
Dale Jr. ?????????????????????????????????????/

If I was DE, Jr. I'd be on my cel. reaming that guy out right now. No mention of oversaturation, suspician of "the call", etc.... Just one driver's fault....

Here's the link...

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071202/SPORTS/712220403/1010/SPORTS

When in doubt, blame Dale
By Mark DeCotis
special to news-press.com
Originally posted on December 02, 2007

So, after much tap dancing and tango, and after much soft shoe and spin, NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France admitted that, yes, the sport's TV ratings are down. But there's a real good reason: Dale Jr. had a bad year.

Talk about putting the weight and the burden for carrying the sport on one guy among 43 who race for their daily bread 38 weekends a year, and ignoring the obvious — which we'll get to in a moment.

Here's what Sir Brian, speaking to a Reuters media forum in New York on Thursday, had to say about Dale Jr. and the roughly 13 percent fall in ratings: "It would have helped if he (Dale Jr.) would have been competitive. He didn't win an event, and he certainly didn't make our playoffs. And that's unhelpful if you're trying to build ratings."
So there you have it, and Junior, if there were any doubts about your standing in the sport, the boss dispelled them, but at the same time sent a message that should resound from sea to shining sea: Get on the stick, son.

The sport depends on you.
Never mind that Jimmie Johnson won consecutive championships for the first time since Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jeff Gordon in 1997-98, and Johnson won 10 races, including four straight down the stretch of the playoff to reduce Gordon's remarkable year to dust.

Obviously, it's all about the Earnhardts.

After giving Johnson his props — "Jimmie's in the early stages of what may be a dynasty," France said. "He's back-to-back champion in the stiffest of competition" — France just as quickly yanked the rug out from under the Hendrick Motorsports ace:
"But has he gotten to the status of Dale Earnhardt Sr.?" France asked. "Of course not. It takes a long time, and your personality has to come out there, too."

If anything, Johnson, who long has let his driving do his talking, has been criticized for a lack of spit and fire, and dash and splash. After all, all he does is win.
It can be argued that France's words mark the first salvo in the sport's long overdue move to pay homage to those who came before as part of its extension of an olive branch to longtime and traditional fans who are leaving NASCAR in droves.

But to throw your two-time champion under the bus in the process?

But then again, we are talking about Dale Jr., the sport's crown prince.
Perhaps the fact that Dale Jr. will join Johnson, Gordon and Casey Mears (remember him?) at Hendrick next season has escaped France. A real good year could be on the horizon. Then what will the excuse be?

Meanwhile, Johnson can be forgiven if he wonders in his solitary moments just what he needs to do to earn his creed. After all, he's won 33 races, 16 more than Earnhardt in 72 less starts (219 to 291), and did we already mention the two ... consecutive ... championships?
Don't feel bad, Jimmie. It's much easier for Sir Brian to blame Junior than to have to think about all the other possible factors for the decline in TV ratings, such as:

• Later East Coast starting times that intrude into dinner hours and family time.

• The perceived glut of commercials, missed re-starts, fawning announcers and, depending on your perspective, overcoverage of certain drivers and undercoverage of others.
• An overabundance of 400- and 500-mile races that can take forever to run.

• Less than compelling — more than a few would say boring — racing.
• The introduction of the new car that while, for all the right reasons, safety being paramount, has resulted in even less competition.

• The perceived abandonment of the sport's Southern roots, and the reality of only one date at Darlington, none at Rockingham and two in California and Phoenix.

And for the xenophobic among us:
• The entrance of Toyota into Cup.

• The invasion of foreign-born open-wheel racers.
Solving the first six issues will take time, patience and persistence — the final two are beyond hope — and perhaps even a more than perfunctory attempt to reach out to all its fans, current and former. Putting the onus on Earnhardt Jr. sure is easy and makes for irresistible fodder for the arguments, discussions and dissection that are the lifeblood of the sport.

But really? Junior had a bad year. C'mon.

SOD
4th December 2007, 02:37
LOL, Brian France hasn't a clue. Things must be real bad when Brian is making rash statements like that.

I believe some of the reasons of the decline in popularity is because: too much homogeneity. The race tracks are all the same, the COT cars are all the same, the drivers are more well versed in their PR speak than showing any individual traits

The Chase is the most pigheaded of all formats, an unnecessary addition to NASCAR as well.

The basic cost of attending a nascar race is making fans think twce about attending events.

The whole TV pre- race is about 30 minutes too long and there's to many ad breaks. The ad breaks really detract from the enjoyment. As well the commentators tend to repeat themselves because they don't have enough time to start telling yarns. Benny parsons & Buddy Baker were great for tellin stories because they had the time to tell those stories.

NASCAR never cared about losing the oldtime fans, because 2 newbies would replace them. of course it aint the newbie's fault.

I have the perfect solution for the falling interest, Bruton Smith should form his breakaway stockcar series :dork:

Sparky1329
4th December 2007, 05:11
Brian needs to put down his drink and get himself a reality check. If his comments reflect his mind-set it's no bleepin' wonder why the sport is in decline. What a stupid man.

harvick#1
4th December 2007, 06:19
ahh what will the ever wise Brian France say next :D :laugh:

call_me_andrew
4th December 2007, 07:13
I have the perfect solution for the falling interest, Bruton Smith should form his breakaway stockcar series :dork:

He tried that. It was called TRAC. It died having never run a single race. But I did notice the corpse jerked about a year ago. http://www.traczone.com

SOD
4th December 2007, 15:40
ahh what will the ever wise Brian France say next :D :laugh:

he'll probably say something that he's met the bread n butter fans.

One thing he doesn' have what his dad nor granddad have is the awareness of what the average NASCAR fan wants.

Whewn the ALababama gang start throwing rubbish over the fence , it could be a cry for "we are not amused".

SOD
4th December 2007, 15:46
Its not until the tide goes out until you can see who was swimming naked. Brian France is swimming naked, and Bill France jr was swimming naked too, but Brian is the guy in desperate need of swimming trunks.

JovialJooles
4th December 2007, 17:07
Right, so people don't watch the race because Dale Jr might not win?

I would have thought that they would watch up until he crashed/engine blew/went more than one lap down close to the end of a race.

I think Mr France needs some Andrex 'cos he's continually spouting out of his arse!

Scrap the Chase and bring back some of the old tracks... Oh and ditch ESPN.

Delenn
4th December 2007, 21:16
Fumes really have got to Brian's head, haven't they?

The Southern 500. The Rock. Gone.

ESPN. TNT. 2 races at California, Phoenix, Atlanta. CoT. All need to be dealt with.

Do I have to go on?

RaceFanStan
5th December 2007, 12:46
LOL, Brian France hasn't a clue ......
Bruton Smith has threatened to do that in the past ...
it never happened because NASCAR gave him what he wanted. ;)

RaceFanStan
5th December 2007, 12:50
He tried that. It was called TRAC. It died having never run a single race ...
Bruton Smith was NOT involved in the formation of TRAC !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Team Racing Auto Circuit (TRAC),
creation of Maxx Motorsports Inc, a subsidiary of Team Sports Entertainment Inc (TSEI)
Among the key individuals involved were :
Terry Hanson, long-time Sports executive, (President & Chief Operating Officer of TRAC)
Charlie Bradshaw, former chairman of Spartan Foods & president of Trans World Corp (Chief Executive Officer TRAC)
Robert J. Wussler, former president of CBS and co-founder of CNN
Cale Yarborough, stock car racing legend, former NASCAR driver & team owner
Wendell Starke, former chairman of Invesco
Michael Kranefuss, former director of Ford Motorsports
Carroll Campbell, former governor of South Carolina
Danny Ford, former ACC coach-of-the-year
Carl Scheer. 25-year NBA executive

SOD
5th December 2007, 12:55
The TRAC cars were cool. They had the wings and they looked like racecars. The COT has wings and doesn't look like a racecar

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
5th December 2007, 14:02
NASCAR top brass must know somethings up. Even there own mouth peice NASCAR.com is turning on them.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opinion/12/04/middle.man/index.html

All i can say is we are all gonna need a set of earplugs because when Brian France does pull his head out of his arse theres gonna be a very loud bang.

SOD
5th December 2007, 15:52
NASCAR top brass must know somethings up. Even there own mouth peice NASCAR.com is turning on them.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opinion/12/04/middle.man/index.html

All i can say is we are all gonna need a set of earplugs because when Brian France does pull his head out of his arse theres gonna be a very loud bang.

no offense, but that article rads like a well written foum post.

NASCAR should do this, nascar should do that......

:needs more fantasy land:

TNT or whoever runs the .com site paid large dollars for the TV, there's only so much of a loss they can take.

Sparky1329
5th December 2007, 18:02
I've eliminated the fan quotes to see exactly what Jarrod is saying. It's quite interesting. NASCAR might want to pay attention.

I am a middle man. In fact, I am a man with a middle that is much bigger than it should. Shame on me. (Note to self, three words: New Year's resolution.)

As many fans of NASCAR have let it be known, I should be ashamed for my profession. All of us at NASCAR.COM should. We just spent the last week exalting the virtues of Jimmie Johnson, et al, and NASCAR during Champions Week.

Yet not everyone is pleased that Johnson and the 48 team are champions, and NASCAR for what the fans perceive as a slap-on-the-wrist for a repeat offender of major rules violations. Crew chief Chad Knaus was suspended for the second consecutive season.

We didn't create the scene from New York City, we just reported on it. That's our job, and the responsibility of this Web site. We also encourage fans of NASCAR to interact through e-mails, polls, message boards, community forums, etc.

You have. The thoughts expressed by the aforementioned e-mailers are not of one dissenting voice. Rather, several have pause for concern regarding the current state of the sport.

I feel it is now my responsibility to pass along some of these thoughts to the governing body. I know they will read it. They always do, and when they see something they don't like they let our managing editor know about it. It happens more often than you might think. They are not going to like this.

But, remember, I am the middle man here. I'm merely taking some of the overwhelming thoughts some of the fans have expressed to me and presenting them in this open -- and surely debatable -- context.

Based on the structure of the current points system, Jimmie Johnson is champion. NASCAR wanted to put a greater reward on winning in 2007. Johnson won two more races than his nearest competitor in the 26-race "regular season." He also had two more victories than his closest pursuer in the 10-race "playoff."

Both times he bettered Jeff Gordon, whose record-setting consistency went by the wayside. It was the second time in the four years of the Chase that Gordon had a seemingly insurmountable lead erased.

It seems apparent the Chase is about as popular as the BCS. Ask those in Norman, Okla., Blacksburg, Va., Athens, Ga., Columbia, Mo., Los Angeles or even Honolulu how they feel about college football's championship format. Of course, the BCS is not a playoff; NASCAR tends to label its Chase as such.

Perhaps fans didn't lobby for a Chase. But most everyone would agree that wins needed to account for something more than a, "Good job, buddy." It's a fine line -- or in this case groove on the track -- that NASCAR hasn't been able to find to appeal the masses.

A perusal of the differing opinions on NASCAR -- and no, not all were negative, just most -- got me to thinking. Auto racing unlike any other sport is a spectacle. The twists and turns during a Sunday afternoon or night under the lights should be enough for NASCAR and fans alike. It's not.

Instead of being a spectacle, NASCAR is increasingly making a spectacle of itself. The proverbial brain surgeon or rocket scientist couldn't interpret these rules, some of which seem to be made up as they go along.

NASCAR, meet your fans. Listen to them, too. Some have good suggestions. They do this because they love what NASCAR throughout the years has come to represent, not what NASCAR has become.

Indeed, the natives are restless.

NASCAR too big for its britches? For those outside the Southeast, britches are pants. It's an old expression. Most of you, I know, have heard it and might even use it today.

To sum up things: NASCAR is big; the fans are little. And here I am, stuck in the middle.

Myself, I need something stronger than Alka Seltzer. I have already been accused of taking a drink of the "NASCAR Kool-Aid." Does anyone have the antidote? After all, don't blame the middle man.

Lee Roy
5th December 2007, 18:08
[quote="RaceFanStan"]Bruton Smith was NOT involved in the formation of TRAC !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Don't confuse them with facts, Stan.

Also, Bruton Smith would never start a break-away stock car series. Bruton didn't get to where he is today by being drool-on-your-shirt stupid. Bruton made his millions, he didn't inherit them.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
6th December 2007, 14:15
NASCAR just doesnt seem to care for what the fans want. Its be 5 years we've had this thing. Its was a good experiment and i give them props for trying to be different. But it hasnt worked, its watered down the series and fans are leaving. Its time for them to admit defeat and give us back the old points system.

Not sport is bigger than its fans.

muggle not
6th December 2007, 16:18
Junior Johnson is still peddling Moonshine but legally now, I think. :)
Enter the website and browse around. Junior is what is missing in Nascar, that and the old point system. :)
http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/verification.php

I may make the trip and buy a bottle of his Moonshine.

Sparky1329
6th December 2007, 17:01
Junior Johnson is still peddling Moonshine but legally now, I think. :)
Enter the website and browse around. Junior is what is missing in Nascar, that and the old point system. :)
http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/verification.php

I may make the trip and buy a bottle of his Moonshine.

Maybe that's what Brian is drinking.

BobbyC
6th December 2007, 17:59
And remember Darlington lost its date in the controversial lawsuit after NASCAR gave it a dramatic playoff date; before they could even sell tickets to the dramatic date, they lost their Chase date, and NASCAR lost the Grand Slam.

It would be the same effect as suing the PGA to move the Masters to a big city, or having the NFL sued to take the Green Bay Packers, and have them moved to Los Angeles, or even suing the Boston Red Sox to have the team leave Fenway Park.

In fact, Kentucky Speedway's lawsuit with NASCAR was based on how a lawsuit forced NASCAR to give up the Southern 500 and the Grand Slam.

call_me_andrew
11th December 2007, 23:17
Bruton Smith was NOT involved in the formation of TRAC !!!

I recall looking at a map of cities TRAC said they would be interested in racing it. Cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas-Ft. Worth...

You know, places owned by Speedway Motorsports. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

RaceFanStan
12th December 2007, 04:48
No doubt Bruton Smith would have rented TRAC the use of his tracks for races.
Speedway Motorsports Inc is in business to sell the use of it's tracks to whoever has the money to pay.
But it DIDN'T make Bruton Smith an official in the TRAC organization. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif