PDA

View Full Version : Nascar awards show

jslone
3rd December 2007, 02:01
I just happened to flip through the channells and it was on ESPN classic,dont know if it will air on another network like Speed or not but from what I saw it was a snooze fest,I mean everyone looked bored,not tired but bored.

Lee Roy
3rd December 2007, 03:01
We don't have ESPN Classic. I could have DVR'd it on ESPN2 at Midnight on Friday. I didn't bother. First time I haven't watched the awards banquet in many years. Didn't miss it at all.

muggle not
3rd December 2007, 03:22
Nascar seems intent on eliminating the show. Slade was one of the worst acts they have had on the Awards Banquet. Secondly many people don't have access to ESPN Classic. The telecast itself was poorly handled and it looked sometimes like the camera didn't know where to go.

Sparky1329
3rd December 2007, 05:16
We don't have ESPN Classic. I could have DVR'd it on ESPN2 at Midnight on Friday. I didn't bother. First time I haven't watched the awards banquet in many years. Didn't miss it at all.

You didn't miss much. One thing I did like was their showing a personal side of each driver rather than clips of the racing prior to their award segment. That was something new and an improvement IMHO. Jerry Bonkowski has a critique column that pretty much covers it at Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AmSqraps_VnKYdQiV0V6jT05nYcB?slug=jb-banquet120107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

BEST AND WORST LINES:

Spade's best one-liner of the night: "That guy (a member of the audience) just figured out I'm not Jay Mohr."

Spade's second-best one-liner: Recalling his 2003 harrowing, high-speed exhibition ride around Darlington Raceway with TNT analyst Wally Dallenbach Jr. in a "Wally's World" segment: "I get the one guy who isn't good enough to be in the actual race."

Spade's third-best one-liner (acknowledging Johnson and wife Chandra): "How's the prom king and queen? You guys doing all right so far? It's a big night. You'll do pictures afterward."

Jeff Gordon on all the attention Jimmie Johnson was getting during the evening: "I used to think this was an awards show, not a soap opera."

Jeff Burton on the hard work and effort it takes to make the Chase for the Nextel Cup: "Don’t take for granted what it takes to get here.”

Kevin Harvick ribbing Tony Stewart on his weight: "What is it, 240 pounds?"

Rick Hendrick wishing departing HMS driver Kyle Busch well: "You're an awesome talent and I wish you nothing but the best."

Kyle Busch reflecting on his maturing and staying out of trouble with NASCAR in 2007: "Another goal I set out to accomplish, I had a little bit of a rough start to my Cup career my first few years. As much as I enjoyed getting to know Mr. Helton, Mr. Darby and Mr. Pemberton, I really tried to stay out of the NASCAR hauler all season. And despite my best efforts, mission accomplished."

Tony Stewart acknowledging the close bond he has with crew chief Greg Zipadelli: "Since I'm not married, you get to fill the wife role for me. I guess I'll have to go and buy him a fur right now."

Stewart in a more serious commentary on his 'adopted wife:' "I need a big brother because I need a kick in the butt sometimes. … There's a lot of times where he cares more for me as a person than as a race car driver. (Zipadelli) is the brother I never had."

Jeff Burton, paying tribute to wife and high-school sweetheart Kim: "I would not have a family life without what she's done. I'm still attracted today as I was 15, and that's saying something. That's saying a lot for a 15-year-old boy. I love you, and I'm not afraid to say that."

Matt Kenseth praising wife Katie: " I have the cutest, darned wife out there."

Carl Edwards making a rare political statement during his speech: "The reason we have so many problems in the world is the people that can fix them are too busy working on cars, and I believe that."

New York governor Eliot Spitzer, challenging Johnson to a one-on-one race: "I'll meet you at 8 a.m. Saturday morning and we'll do one lap around Manhattan. If I win, then I want to be on your team next year. Fair enough? But you won't win. We believe in speeding tickets here in New York."

Lee Roy
3rd December 2007, 19:31
Thanks Sparky. Those are some pretty good quotes. I really like Kyle Busch' quote.

SOD
4th December 2007, 02:46
<back slap>