PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of computer help, please?

Drew
2nd December 2007, 18:12
Hey all,

Whenever I turn my computer on, it wants me to run a disk check, however when I run it, it takes over 4 hours to complete! If I chose to skip the disk check, it takes me to the normal log in screen and I log in. After logging in I get this message:

"Explorer.exe - ordinal not found,
The ordinal 110 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHDOCVW.dll"

Then I log in and see the background, but not any desktop items or taskbar. I can use task manager to open programmes (that's how I managed to write this) and the like.

After googling this, apparently the SHDOCVW.dll file is corrupted and I followed instructions to download another SHDOCVW.dll file. However when I tried to extract it to system32 (using winRAR) , I get the message that access is denied, and it won't extract it.

Anybody have any ideas at all about how I can cure this? Thanks!

F1nostalgic
2nd December 2007, 20:16
Have you got a system restore CD for the PC?

RaceFanStan
3rd December 2007, 02:58
Last time something like that happened to me my computer was infected. :eek:
I recommend during a complete virus check & spyware check.
Unless you deleted some dll files something has infiltrated your computer IMO. :eek:

RaceFanStan
3rd December 2007, 03:05
AVG Anti-Virus is free : http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff
AVG Anti-Spyware is also free : http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=asf

tmx
3rd December 2007, 06:13
looks like some system files are corrupt. should do a recover or reinstall windows i think. hopefully your harddrives are okay. i do recommend avg also, but i dont think its likely to be a virus for this cause.

leopard
3rd December 2007, 06:48
Did you make yourself sure to equip your system with CyberPatrol Drew? ;)

Roamy
4th December 2007, 05:57
jesus H. Christ
buy a ****ing mac - what part of this are you guys not getting

Mark
4th December 2007, 08:28
Have you seen the price of them :eek:

Daniel
4th December 2007, 11:51
jesus H. Christ
buy a ****ing mac - what part of this are you guys not getting
Why I need to sell my kidney to buy something which is no better than what I can build myself and costs almost twice as much. THEN I'll have to pay for Service Packs which Microsoft gives me for free.

That's what I don't get.

What OS is it Drew? :)

Drew
4th December 2007, 12:46
Yes, I have AVG, Zone alarm, Ccleaner, Hijack this! and Ad aware. Surely that's enough? :p :

I do have the system restore CD, but that's at home and I also can't open the CD/DVD drive.

I try to run AVG, but as soon as it gets to the 6000th file, it slows down dramatically, as in 1 file per minute checked. I'll leave it running when I go out.

This laptop cost me £400 about 2 years ago and I have no need to follow a fashion trend, normal laptops are fine for me :p :

The OS is XP :)

Daniel
4th December 2007, 13:11
Yes, I have AVG, Zone alarm, Ccleaner, Hijack this! and Ad aware. Surely that's enough? :p :

I do have the system restore CD, but that's at home and I also can't open the CD/DVD drive.

I try to run AVG, but as soon as it gets to the 6000th file, it slows down dramatically, as in 1 file per minute checked. I'll leave it running when I go out.

This laptop cost me £400 about 2 years ago and I have no need to follow a fashion trend, normal laptops are fine for me :p :

The OS is XP :)
Have you tried a system restore? :)

Drew
4th December 2007, 14:07
"DDE server Window rstrui.exe ordinal not found,

The ordinal 233 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHDOCVW.dll"

That's the message I got when I tried to load it, it might as well be in Finnish :\

Daniel
4th December 2007, 14:49
"DDE server Window rstrui.exe ordinal not found,

The ordinal 233 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHDOCVW.dll"

That's the message I got when I tried to load it, it might as well be in Finnish :\
I would back your stuff up and whack the restore disk in :) A paperclip should open the drive :)

Drew
4th December 2007, 15:04
I would back your stuff up and whack the restore disk in :) A paperclip should open the drive :)

Damn, oh well. It'll have to wait until I get back home. There'll be no problems in just saving everything onto a hard disk drive, right?

I take it that the paperclip fits into the little hole and that's what it's there for?

Cheers danny boy :p :

Daniel
4th December 2007, 15:06
Damn, oh well. It'll have to wait until I get back home. There'll be no problems in just saving everything onto a hard disk drive, right?

I take it that the paperclip fits into the little hole and that's what it's there for?

Cheers danny boy :p :
Yep that's what the hole is for :)

Drew
16th December 2007, 22:20
Ok, so I'm back home and predictably things went wrong.

I followed the instructions for system recovery and everything went well, it started to format files. Until it got to one file where it stopped and said

"Fail in creating or opening a file"

I click OK (the only option) then a second later it comes up with
"Recovery 32

Cannot find preload.tag for SetBootIni"

I have to click ok and then the computer restarts again and goes through the same process.

If I run it without the CD (that is normally) I get the message:

NTLDR is missing
press any key to restart.

Any ideas? Preferably not chuck it out the window or buy a mac :p :

Valve Bounce
19th December 2007, 11:44
OK, I am most interested in this thread. Daniel, what is wrong with Drew's laptop? If all else fails, can he reformat?

I reformatted my PC last time, then installed Cyberscrub, and then erased all the deleted files immediately before installing any other software. Seemed to work.

Daniel
19th December 2007, 11:53
Make sure the CD isn't scratched :) Is it actually booting off the CD?

Roamy
20th December 2007, 08:14
I read this thread when things are going so well and I need some brain damage.

but I would back up - erase the disk and start over!!

Drew
20th December 2007, 13:22
The CDs aren't scratched. I never got a Windows CD, but I got an Acer System CD, 3 Acer Recovery CDs and the back up disk that I made myself.

It definitely is booting from the CD because without the CD it just reads

"NTLDR is missing
press any key to restart."

Valve Bounce
23rd December 2007, 00:43
I cannot understand why anyone could possibly sell you a laptop without a Windows CD. I'd go with fousto at this point and reformat the hard drive and re-install Windows. But you'd have to ask whoever sold the laptop to you to hand over a Windows CD.

Daniel
23rd December 2007, 00:46
most laptops come with a restore disk and don't come with a windows disk as do most desktop pc's

Valve Bounce
23rd December 2007, 00:51
most laptops come with a restore disk and don't come with a windows disk as do most desktop pc's

OK!! does that mean reformatting is out ??

On another subject : I know that only one AV should be installed at any one time, although multiple spyware can be installed.

How about Firewalls? Is only one firewall necessary and in fact does an additional firewall gum up the computer?

Roamy
23rd December 2007, 01:29
BAFM

airshifter
23rd December 2007, 17:23
BAFM

What, and deprive the industry of all the money they make on backup devices? What about all the technicians that make a living off of restoring systems?

At least the PC community spreads the wealth. Everybody gets a piece of the pie trying to make sure the thing is still running!