PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet on the BTCC grid in 2008

Jimmy Magnusson
1st December 2007, 14:11
Yes, and it's not Clyde Valley Racing. Robertshaw Racing has bought one of Chevrolet Motorsport Denmark's 2007-spec Chevrolet Lacetti's, and has reserved the team's other car. Fantastic news for the BTCC :)

VkmSpouge
1st December 2007, 15:01
I don't want to come across like I don't believe you but that makes no sense. Robertshaw Racing have a Honda Integra (as raced by Alan Taylor) which is probably far better than a Chevrolet and a Honda Civic that they had prospective driver, Michael Doyle pictured with. Why would they buy a Chevy?
Where did you hear this?

Jimmy Magnusson
1st December 2007, 15:13
http://www.dtc-net.dk/

On the main page. Chevy Denmark team owner Kent Bo Steffensen says that Robertshaw was directed to them by RML, and that they've bought one of the Chevrolets they used this year, and has what seems to be "first refusal" on the other car.

VkmSpouge
1st December 2007, 16:16
That's good, hope we see the Chevy racing. I can understand why Robertshaw would want a Lacetti ahead of the old Civic but not why they simply didn't go with another Integra.

Robinho
1st December 2007, 17:16
maybe because the Chevvy is an S2000 car, that in 2007 spec has won races in the WTCC and was in contention for the championship - in my eyes that doesn't put it far behind the BMW's and Seats. The Integra, whilst undoubtedly a great racing car is BTC spec, not subject to any support or improvements and only going to slip further down the pecking order.

whilst the Integra would provide a great outlet for entering the BTCC and being relatively competitive i think buying the Lacetti is a more sensible option, especially if the team intends on running for more than one year - all the BTC cars will be a minimum of 2 years old next year (integras and Astras), mostly older than that and are being phased out.

VkmSpouge
1st December 2007, 17:58
That's true, if they are able to upgrade the Lacetti to the latest specification then it would make more sense. I would love to see a couple of Chevrolets racing in the championship next year, more variety the better :D

SEATFreak
1st December 2007, 19:57
maybe because the Chevvy is an S2000 car, that in 2007 spec has won races in the WTCC and was in contention for the championship - in my eyes that doesn't put it far behind the BMW's and Seats. The Integra, whilst undoubtedly a great racing car is BTC spec, not subject to any support or improvements and only going to slip further down the pecking order.

whilst the Integra would provide a great outlet for entering the BTCC and being relatively competitive i think buying the Lacetti is a more sensible option, especially if the team intends on running for more than one year - all the BTC cars will be a minimum of 2 years old next year (integras and Astras), mostly older than that and are being phased out.

I can already name two teams that have competed using customer Lacettis in the WTCC. Maurer Motorsport (Maria De Villota) and the new Italian team for next season CibieEmme who are buying them straight from the factory.

I could be mistaken (and it wouldn't surprise me in the least :uhoh: ) but customer Lacettis seem like their coming more and more ubiquitous like the Leon or the BMW 320si.

VkmSpouge
1st December 2007, 20:05
WTCC teams have very little choice in what they use in the championship. If you don't go for a Leon or 320si then realistically the only other competitive choice is a Lacetti.

Captain VXR
1st December 2007, 20:27
Cool can't wait to see this

peewhee
1st December 2007, 20:45
No, neither can I!

It mentions on Touring car times that it will make eight manufacturers in the championship!?

So that's Vauxhall, SEAT, BMW, Lexus, Alfa, Honda, MG, Chevrolet.

BTCC2
1st December 2007, 22:08
If they have bought this car from Chevrolet Motorsport Denmark then it will surely be an 06 spec car wont it?? I imagine that Chevvy Denmark will be selling to make way for their 07 car.

peewhee
1st December 2007, 22:38
If they have bought this car from Chevrolet Motorsport Denmark then it will surely be an 06 spec car wont it?? I imagine that Chevvy Denmark will be selling to make way for their 07 car.
The ad says it is a 2006 car!
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewlisting.php?view=13287

VkmSpouge
1st December 2007, 23:44
If the cars have been bought engineless will RML supply Robertshaw with engines?

SEATFreak
2nd December 2007, 10:57
It mentions on Touring car times that it will make eight manufacturers in the championship!?

It also says theirs the possibility of another before March.

So Chevy might not be the only new marquee to join.

Allyc85
2nd December 2007, 11:39
Why are chevys so expensive? Its not like theyve won a championship yet!

And look Bells BMW is free ;) http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewlisting.php?view=11873

tdb
2nd December 2007, 11:51
If the cars have been bought engineless will RML supply Robertshaw with engines?

I imagine it will factor into what they want to do about spares.
The engines are available to buy or lease.

But if they want the upgrades for the car(s) as they become available, RML will probably expect some customer loyalty.

VkmSpouge
2nd December 2007, 13:50
I do hope Robertshaw Racing stick with that lovely blue on the Chevy, it'll certainly stand out.

Captain VXR
2nd December 2007, 16:53
I'd rather see a cange in colour to a colour not on a Lacetti eg Red
House of Kolor Kandy red is a nice shade
http://davincitandems.com/images/Kandyred.jpg

nicemms
2nd December 2007, 18:57
Be greeat to see some Chevys on the grid! Lets hope they are competitive.

kmchow
3rd December 2007, 01:06
So Maurer's cars are '05. Still no buyers for Maurer's '05 Lacettis?

Chevrolet Denmark sold their '06s to Robertshaw. So Chevrolet Denmark are still using '06 spec engines in the future '07 cars they're acquiring? Or perhaps they're getting '07 cars without engines from WTCC Chevrolet?

Very interesting situation.

kmchow
3rd December 2007, 01:07
I'd rather see a cange in colour to a colour not on a Lacetti eg Red
House of Kolor Kandy red is a nice shade
Considering the Alfas are red, BMWs are white or orange, Chevys are blue, vauxhalls are green, I hope Robertshaw will go for another colour!

nicemms
3rd December 2007, 11:40
Breaking News!!!!!!

Harry Vaulkhard will race the Chevy! Robertshaw racing planning to run 3/4 cars next season!

For more info go to http://www.btcc.net

SEATFreak
3rd December 2007, 12:43
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119931&page=15

Does post 284# mean I had a premonition or sorts? :confused:

So what's the situation with Robertshaw Racing; just to get things straight really. I know it states in the article but they will be running four cars; a pair of Lacettis for Harry and a partner to be announced and also a pair of Integras (one ex-SibSports Integra and another one from somewhere else) for Michael Dyle and Alan Taylor. It said on Wikipedia that they will run a BTC-spec Civic Type-R for Dyle alongside the Integra which not for one moment I believed for obvious reasons.

What a dialema though! I support SEAT but at Croft I will see a Geordie driver racing in a Geordie team which could attract local interest which I no doubt will get caught up in.

Rusty
3rd December 2007, 12:47
Smart-arse LOL cant wait to see the Chevvies though.....

Alfa Fan
3rd December 2007, 12:48
You picked one of the top SEAT Cupra drivers and suggested he'd race for Arkas! Then he ends up buying a Chevrolet Lacetti and running it with Robertshaw and your trying to claim credit for it!?

Rusty
3rd December 2007, 12:49
You picked one of the top SEAT Cupra drivers and suggested he'd race for Arkas! Then he ends up buying a Chevrolet Lacetti and running it with Robertshaw and your trying to claim credit for it!?

Just let him have his moment for once AF....

SEATFreak
3rd December 2007, 13:21

Look. I know you have never seen eye to eye with me (for some reason your yet to explain) but I take immense exeption and offence to your claim I am in some way trying to take credit for something. I in NO WAY am attempting to take credit for anything. Unlike you I am not the sort. I know you especially have always taken most thing I have said and distorted it to mean something more grotesque in how untrue it is, but all I meant was I wonder why I had Harry on my mind at the time. Their was other graduates from the Cupras who tested the Leon recently. Why him?

The fact I proposed adding Harry to a list that included Carl Breeze who MBailey mentioned in the previous post was intended to be irrelevant.

In future whenever I post...keep your nose out Alfa Fan.

tin-top fan
3rd December 2007, 15:35

Don't rise to it SEATFreak........

Foxy
3rd December 2007, 15:42
Further rumours suggest that team owner Gary robertshaw will be in the second Chevy. He was the 2004 Mini club champion

I am evil Homer
3rd December 2007, 15:58
Look. I know you have never seen eye to eye with me (for some reason your yet to explain) but I take immense exeption and offence to your claim I am in some way trying to take credit for something. I in NO WAY am attempting to take credit for anything. Unlike you I am not the sort. I know you especially have always taken most thing I have said and distorted it to mean something more grotesque in how untrue it is, but all I meant was I wonder why I had Harry on my mind at the time. Their was other graduates from the Cupras who tested the Leon recently. Why him?

The fact I proposed adding Harry to a list that included Carl Breeze who MBailey mentioned in the previous post was intended to be irrelevant.

I have no idea what the history is between you two (and it seems there is some) but don't act like you're bigger than it and tell others to butt out. Get over it and yourself.

I'm sure you find it frustrating or whatever but maybe calm down then post. Or maybe not post at all if all you can type is bile.

Rover V8
3rd December 2007, 16:09

Does post 284# mean I had a premonition or sorts? :confused:

So what's the situation with Robertshaw Racing; just to get things straight really. I know it states in the article but they will be running four cars; a pair of Lacettis for Harry and a partner to be announced and also a pair of Integras (one ex-SibSports Integra and another one from somewhere else) for Michael Dyle and Alan Taylor. It said on Wikipedia that they will run a BTC-spec Civic Type-R for Dyle alongside the Integra which not for one moment I believed for obvious reasons.

What a dialema though! I support SEAT but at Croft I will see a Geordie driver racing in a Geordie team which could attract local interest which I no doubt will get caught up in.

btcc.net are saying an Integra and a Civic, not two Integras- so presumably the cars they already own....
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=813&PHPSESSID=878dc95623d767530cdc8d2e43f9f657

It's an ambitious programme....

BTCC2
3rd December 2007, 16:22
Thought you were a Mackem anyway SEATFreak?

VkmSpouge
3rd December 2007, 17:32
Very ambitious for Robertshaw Racing, I hope they haven't expanded too quickly. Great to see a Chevrolet racing (hopefully it'll be two). Good luck to Taylor, Doyle and Vaulkhard for 2008.

SEATFreak
3rd December 2007, 20:02
Thought you were a Mackem anyway SEATFreak?

Support Sunderland. Born in Tyneside (South Shields).

In any case, and very much fortunately, I don't think regional rivalry is important in this case.

You have to support whoever represents your region aswell as your chosen team (in my case SEAT).

And in a Lacetti the region has possibly the best chance of scoring serious points with Harry Vaulkhard.

Did any of that make sense Alfa Fan?

Allyc85
3rd December 2007, 20:37
Great to see it confirmed. I just hope this young team (as far as I know!) can do them justice, though they must be doing something right to buy these expensive cars n run 2 others.

Allyc85
3rd December 2007, 20:38
Oh and I really hope they dont stay blue, I dont want the BTCC turning into a mini WTCC...

VXRDartford
3rd December 2007, 21:08

...and also a pair of Integras (one ex-SibSports Integra and another one from somewhere else) for Michael Dyle and Alan Taylor. It said on Wikipedia that they will run a BTC-spec Civic Type-R for Dyle alongside the Integra which not for one moment I believed for obvious reasons.

They are running a BTC - Spec Civic type R and an Integra. The Civic type R was Mark Proctor's from a couple of years ago. It was at thruxton in their garage. (Will try and put my pic of it on thread when get back from work)

Hope that clears it up.

VXRDartford
4th December 2007, 00:24
Here is pic of the honda civic type r

kmchow
4th December 2007, 04:20
It's an ambitious programme....
my thoughts exactly. Fielding potentially 4 cars a weekend. As well, it can't be cheap. Where's all the money or sponsors coming from? OTOH, I guess they could potentially race the Lacettis for several years to offset the initial investment. Though realistically, the cars would become less and less competitive unless you continually upgrade them with the latest engine/aero kits. But then, it would still be cheaper than buying a new car?

ATF
4th December 2007, 09:55
Interesting decision to run the Integra and Civic as well - we've seen before it doesn't always work! But good luck to them, be interesting to see how the Chevys go!

jackmarsh
4th December 2007, 12:56
So the Civic is Tom Chilton's old Arena civic that was sold to mark proctor. That is an old car now, surely ran its course!!!

240PS
4th December 2007, 13:09
Just read on touring car times Harry Vaulkard will drive one of Robertshaw Lacetti .Good luck Harry good to see another ex seat cupra r driver steep up

DazzlaF1
4th December 2007, 15:26
Just read on touring car times Harry Vaulkard will drive one of Robertshaw Lacetti .Good luck Harry good to see another ex seat cupra r driver steep up

Aye, good luck to him, fellow geordie and has proved himself to be a decent driver winning the SEAT Cupra R class last season, so he'll get my support along with Plato. :up: As for the 2nd seat, i wouldnt be surprised if they promoted another of their Clio Cup drivers.

But i have to say, this is one very ambitious move by Robertshaw to run FOUR cars of different makes, i think i remember Gary Ayles's team tried it a few years back with a mixture of Vauxhall astra's and Alfa 156's and that failed miserably. Good luck to them though cos it means an extra 2 cars on the grid and also the arrival of the Lacetti which i think is the car a lot of fans have wanted to see in the BTCC.

Foxy
4th December 2007, 16:28
Latest I've heard is that the second Chevy is their WTCC car and they are putting Warrren hughes in it, which ties in nicely with the regional thing !
stranger things have happened.

AlexD
4th December 2007, 17:23
Hope it stays blue!

tdb
4th December 2007, 19:46
Interesting decision to run the Integra and Civic as well - we've seen before it doesn't always work!

Same car different shell!

tdb
4th December 2007, 19:54
Latest I've heard is that the second Chevy is their WTCC car

WTCC rules and regs are different to BTCC, so it will need changing.

I think the cars will struggle.

cars 2 years out of date and a team with no experience of cars they will have to modify to meet the regs.

VkmSpouge
4th December 2007, 23:14
The cars can be upgraded to 2007-spec. The inexperience with new cars is something that every new team or team changing cars has to go through. The only real problem would be those modifications, how badly will they affect the performance? Did those cars run with the special dispensations for the WTCC in the DTC?

VXRDartford
4th December 2007, 23:16
WTCC rules and regs are different to BTCC, so it will need changing.

I think the cars will struggle.

cars 2 years out of date and a team with no experience of cars they will have to modify to meet the regs.

Why would they have to modify it. The WTCC regs and BTCC regs for S2000 cars are the same. It is only the local homoglanisation (or how ever you spell it!!) that is different eg. Vectra and Civic are local Leon is not.
The Beemers have not needed to be changed (fair enough the gearbox has been changed to a sequential one but that is not needed in the chevy as it is already a sequential box.

I say good luck to them they seem up for the challenge

dwracing23
4th December 2007, 23:26
Why would they have to modify it. The WTCC regs and BTCC regs for S2000 cars are the same. It is only the local homoglanisation (or how ever you spell it!!) that is different eg. Vectra and Civic are local Leon is not.
The Beemers have not needed to be changed (fair enough the gearbox has been changed to a sequential one but that is not needed in the chevy as it is already a sequential box.

They go to different rules and regs thats why they run at the front, they will struggle in the UK if they dont get the rule breaks, which if they do will open a big can of worms IMO. Ask TDB to explain what I mean.

For the money they have paid they have taken on a massive task, good luck to them.

Think Mr Gow will have to reject some cars and drivers this next year as I think we will hit the magic 32 entries.

VkmSpouge
5th December 2007, 00:04
Think Mr Gow will have to reject some cars and drivers this next year as I think we will hit the magic 32 entries.

Never count the chickens before they hatch. I'll be happy with anything over 20.

AndyRAC
5th December 2007, 08:34
As Chevrolet are owned by GM, they are taking on Vauxhall, is this okay??

Marc W
5th December 2007, 10:18
They are privately owned and run cars so there is nothing Vauxhall/GM could do. I doubt they see them as a threat anyway and any sucess will be good publicity for the Chevrolet Brand.

Robinho
5th December 2007, 13:26

but the Leon get dispensation to run a flat floor in the WTCC due to its aero deficiencies, a break they do not get in the BTCC - similarly the Lacetti got a load of rules breaks in repsect to the suspension mounting points etc to make them competitive with teh Seats,Alfas and BMW's. this would be fundamentally more difficult to change back for the BTCC, and i'd assume any team looking to run the cars would look into what they would need to do to the car in advance - perhaps Mr Gow could shed some light on this, i guess its conceivable that the Chevvies would have to be locally homologated also to keep the parts that have dispensation from standard S2000 rules in the WTCC?

ATF
5th December 2007, 13:38
Same car different shell!

I realise that - I just meant in general it's a bit strange to run the Hondas in addition to the Lacetti's! Surely they'd be better concentrating on just one type of car and getting to know it well, particularly with a car new to the BTCC?

kmchow
6th December 2007, 01:37
but the Leon get dispensation to run a flat floor in the WTCC due to its aero deficiencies, a break they do not get in the BTCC - similarly the Lacetti got a load of rules breaks in repsect to the suspension mounting points etc to make them competitive with teh Seats,Alfas and BMW's. this would be fundamentally more difficult to change back for the BTCC, and i'd assume any team looking to run the cars would look into what they would need to do to the car in advance - perhaps Mr Gow could shed some light on this, i guess its conceivable that the Chevvies would have to be locally homologated also to keep the parts that have dispensation from standard S2000 rules in the WTCC?
I can't imagine if the WTCC gave a dispensation, a national organizer would not also honour it too. I could agree if a national organizer gave a dispensation and the WTCC refusing it. Plus, how could Alan Gow potentially turn down another 2 cars from the starting grid?

VXRDartford
6th December 2007, 12:44
I can't imagine if the WTCC gave a dispensation, a national organizer would not also honour it too. I could agree if a national organizer gave a dispensation and the WTCC refusing it. Plus, how could Alan Gow potentially turn down another 2 cars from the starting grid?

If you are saying that the BTCC should also allow the cars to run with the same performance breaks as they have in the WTCC then as they are two different championships with different circuits, tyres etc. that would be a bit silly (if yu are not saying that then I appologise)

Also the performance breaks were given throughout the season so the originals cars were designed without these breaks so I would not have thought that it would not be too much of a problem to revert back to its original format as the WTCC kept changing the performance breaks they got.

Mr Gow could easily turn down 2 extra cars if they did not conform to the regs. That is like saying that a DTM car wants to race in BTCC oh well it is a bit different from the usual cars but hey it does not matter its 2 more cars!

VkmSpouge
6th December 2007, 17:45
I can't imagine if the WTCC gave a dispensation, a national organizer would not also honour it too.

I believe the WTCC gave SEAT special dispensation to run with a flat floor but that SEAT can't do that in the BTCC.

tin-top fan
6th December 2007, 18:19
I see that http://www.btcctimes.com is reporting that the chevies will keep their wtcc dispensations but have a 25kg weight penalty......opens a can of worms if you ask me....

tdb
6th December 2007, 19:12
I'm sure the knives will be out if they get anywhere near Seat, VXR or WSR!

VkmSpouge
6th December 2007, 19:39
I suspect had it been a team like WSR or Team Dynamics running the cars then the dispensation may not have been granted but it is probably safe to say that Robertshaw Racing won't be challenging for race wins next year.