PDA

View Full Version : Evel Knievel dies at age 69

Alexamateo
30th November 2007, 23:32
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a23xHAOLfsMU&refer=us

Though it might have seemed unlikely at one time that he would achieve old age, he did and he passed away today. I remember watching his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon vividly, that was a big event for a 6 year old. I think that Christmas, I got an Evel Knievel motorcycle, the kind you turned a crank faster and faster before you sent it zooming down the driveway. THe world truly lost a one of a kind icon today.

Daniel
1st December 2007, 08:05
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a23xHAOLfsMU&refer=us

Though it might have seemed unlikely at one time that he would achieve old age, he did and he passed away today. I remember watching his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon vividly, that was a big event for a 6 year old. I think that Christmas, I got an Evel Knievel motorcycle, the kind you turned a crank faster and faster before you sent it zooming down the driveway. THe world truly lost a one of a kind icon today.
Definitely.

RIP :)

raybak
1st December 2007, 10:53
A loss of a legend.

I had all his model bikes, tried to emulate him on my BMX, then later on my first motor bike.

Long live Evel!!!!!!

airshifter
1st December 2007, 13:02
I saw him do a jump when I was 12 or 13 at the long gone Orange Country Internation Raceway in California. Gutsy guy. He was doing some high speed wheelies and stuff before the jump, which for the time were an amazing feat on their own.

He held a niche of his own for a long time.

BobbyC
19th December 2007, 21:13
The grandfather of modern extreme motorcycle riding.

Of course, all of Evel's rides were on pavement. Today most of the motorcycle jumping is made on motocross motorcycles, and the MX bikes are far superior to what Robert Craig Knievel had. Mike Metzger a few years ago did the Caesars Palace Fountain jump with a backflip, and aced it.