PDA

View Full Version : Favourite current F1 race driver and why?

ShiftingGears
29th November 2007, 09:12
For me it's Kimi Raikkonen. Fantastic dry sense of humour, apolitical, doesn't whinge, and naturally brilliant. A racing drivers racing driver.

SGWilko
29th November 2007, 09:21
I think Nico is currently my pick of the bunch.

Down to earth nice guy, gets on with the job, is fundamentally quick and reminds me a lot of one N Mansell in his early Williams days.

leopard
29th November 2007, 09:40
For those like Schumi must like Alonso, they both are politician :D

passmeatissue
29th November 2007, 09:47
I think Nico is currently my pick of the bunch.

Down to earth nice guy, gets on with the job, is fundamentally quick and reminds me a lot of one N Mansell in his early Williams days.

Mansell?? Don't do that to Nico, I still cringe when I hear Mansell speak! Good in the car but otherwise - a national embarrassment.

I agree Nico is a good guy and quick. Kimi too, so fast, so understated.

But for me Hammy is the one. So confident, in an unforced way, incredibly strong in the head, and already the greatest overtaker in the field.

OTA
29th November 2007, 11:56
Fernando all the way. He's fast, consistent, technically gifted, and (I know many will disagree) very down to earth. A real figther, who's able to put up a fight 365 days of the year.
Kimi could come as second, as I really like him. Again, a very fast driver and very down to earth type of guy.
Third has to be Hamilton. They guy is very fast, electrical if I may, and I really can not find any weakness in his driving. But to be honest, it pisses the hell out of me.

But this are preferences, in terms of hability I do beleive that FA and LH are a step over the rest.

Cheers
David

SGWilko
29th November 2007, 12:17
Mansell?? Don't do that to Nico, I still cringe when I hear Mansell speak! Good in the car but otherwise - a national embarrassment.

I agree Nico is a good guy and quick. Kimi too, so fast, so understated.

But for me Hammy is the one. So confident, in an unforced way, incredibly strong in the head, and already the greatest overtaker in the field.

Don't worry, I was not suggesting had Nige's charm or charisma, but the ballsy all out racing craft. ;)

SGWilko
29th November 2007, 12:20
Fernando all the way. He's fast, consistent, technically gifted, and (I know many will disagree) very down to earth. A real figther, who's able to put up a fight 365 days of the year.

Wont dissagree, but I wish he could do that without moaning and play the hard done by boy. If he is THAT good, he'd just keep his head down and get on with it - a la Kimi......

F1boat
29th November 2007, 13:14
Kimi. He keeps his mouth shut and drives.
And wins.
I also have huge respect for Alonso and I like Button, too.

Ari
29th November 2007, 13:29
Favy is Webber.... Aussie.

I love Kimi though, but perhaps that's cause I love Ferrari.

I'm warming toward Nando too!!

OTA
29th November 2007, 13:42
SG Wilko,
regardless that I agree with you in the fact that Alonso has a way of saying things that it's not appreciated by many, do you think had FA not open his mouth all season the results of the championship would be any different?

In any way, I will start to not like Nano the day he stops being himself, and that includes what you call moaning and what I call speaking what he feels, right or wrong, but what he feels not what's right to say.

Cheers
David

millencolin
29th November 2007, 14:04
Mark Webber... guess why :p : (if you get it wrong, prepare for extreme embarrasment)

Ari
29th November 2007, 14:06
Mark Webber... guess why :p : (if you get it wrong, prepare for extreme embarrasment)

Because millencolin and mark both start with an M? huh? huh? Did I get it right? What did I win!!!!??? :D

millencolin
29th November 2007, 14:19
Because millencolin and mark both start with an M? huh? huh? Did I get it right? What did I win!!!!??? :D

Ha!Ha!Ha! You win extreme embarrasment!!! :p :

Ari
29th November 2007, 14:24
Ha!Ha!Ha! You win extreme embarrasment!!! :p :

....you must mean 'embarrassment' :p

wedge
29th November 2007, 15:29
I have a thing for the special ones. Lewis drives with flair and canny overtaking instincts; Alonso is by far the smartest driver on the grid (and probably on par with Prost); but Kimi has a special place in my heart simply because as a fellow introvert I sympathise whenever he's criticised over his personality. In some cases, it's always the quiet ones that you have to watch out for!

29th November 2007, 16:31
My favourite driver would be Lewis Hamilton because he has so much driving skill and can handle pressure well like what we saw this year.

Garry Walker
29th November 2007, 18:22
My favourite driver would be Lewis Hamilton because he has so much driving skill and can handle pressure well like what we saw this year.

:D :D :D :D :D

Wih Schumi having retired, I no longer have a clear favourite, but I like Massa and the Red Bull drivers too. Maybe Barrichello a bit too.

gloomyDAY
29th November 2007, 18:25
Vettel. He has shown a lot of maturity and his ability to drive is astounding.

Some here may question whether or not he's got the cajones, but I think Vettel is more than ready for the challenge in 2008. He needs to demonstrate his abilities in an underproductive car and maybe a better team will take notice.

For better or worse, I'm rooting for STR!

keysersoze
29th November 2007, 19:51
Giancarlo Fischella and Scott Speed.

As you can imagine, I'm not having much fun lately. Before that it was Villeneuve, Irvine, Zanardi and Alesi. Very little to cheer about.

Corny
29th November 2007, 20:02
gotta like Massa, so much emotion, so agressive, just like me :p

Hawkmoon
29th November 2007, 20:30
Raikkonen.

Ferrari World Champion. Nothing more needs to be said.

pino
29th November 2007, 20:48
Trulli, he makes a very good red wine :lips: :p :

MrJan
29th November 2007, 20:50
Lewis is up there, he can be a bit of an idiot occassionally but have been hearing stuff about him for years and how he'd come good so good to see.

Years ago I watched kimi dominate Formula Renault and realised he was a cut above, proved right this year :)

To be honest, although I'll want the above two to win, I don't really like any of the drivers. Most of them come across as t****. Put it this way, I'd rather spend an evening in the pub with Marcus Gronholm or Mikko Hirvonen than I would Heidfeld or Hamilton.

JG Fan
29th November 2007, 20:55
It's got to be Lewis or Nico
They are real racers and also realy cool guys

jso1985
29th November 2007, 22:05
Timo Glock! I still don't know why, but I was really impressed by him on the 2004 Canadian GP, still a big fan of him, you read it here first! Timo Glock Germany's next WDC!

SparkyKate
29th November 2007, 22:49
Kimi.

Quite simply it was his appearance in F1 that got me watching again after my Dad died. He was something special then as a fledgling Sauber driver and he has just got better and better.

He's fast, he's skilled and when he's on it no one on the track can beat him. More importantly he hasn't changed to play the corporate game n has remained the same sarcy lil sod he was then! I love it when everyone moans about him staying quiet, personally i respect him for it and when he does speak, theres more conviction and meaning then all those who bitch n moan n big themselves up constantly. He's a true champ that should be on no.3 by now.

waitey
30th November 2007, 00:12
Robert Kubica. The guy is still only 22, has shown so much still in a short space of time when basically it was his first season this year. Should have had more than one podium to date, but has had really bad luck this year. Has shown he is extremely quick, can RACE, we've seen him a lot this year passing people, also his fight with massa showed aggression, yet he knows how to defend too, like in silverstone, a TRUE racer. Not arrogant, in interviews he is just a real normal guy with his head screwed on properly and stays realistic. If BMW produce a good car again, and he has GOOD luck, he will be a real force. Lewis Hamilton has said he thinks Kubica will be his biggest rival in the future.

I love Webber too obviously because I'm Australian, but also love Kimi, Kimi would be my second favourite. As someone said, he just gets on with it, just drives, and produces results.

I miss Michael. a lot

Ari
30th November 2007, 00:26
Vettel. He has shown a lot of maturity and his ability to drive is astounding.

Some here may question whether or not he's got the cajones, but I think Vettel is more than ready for the challenge in 2008. He needs to demonstrate his abilities in an underproductive car and maybe a better team will take notice.

For better or worse, I'm rooting for STR!

Let's just hope he doesn't run up anyones arse next year!

wmcot
30th November 2007, 06:34
Winklehock - for starting dead last and then leading his first (and only) GP! ;)

raikk
30th November 2007, 07:12
Hamilton, Raikkonen no secret really..

Dzeidzei
30th November 2007, 11:59
Kimi.

Quite simply it was his appearance in F1 that got me watching again after my Dad died. He was something special then as a fledgling Sauber driver and he has just got better and better.

He's fast, he's skilled and when he's on it no one on the track can beat him. More importantly he hasn't changed to play the corporate game n has remained the same sarcy lil sod he was then! I love it when everyone moans about him staying quiet, personally i respect him for it and when he does speak, theres more conviction and meaning then all those who bitch n moan n big themselves up constantly. He's a true champ that should be on no.3 by now.

Nothing to add. Kate hits the spot so hard it sparks.

jas123f1
30th November 2007, 14:13
Kimi – he’s the best driver, an honest guy and good and loyal friend.
Kimi is just Kimi – and it’s more than enough. I have been following his F1-carrier from first start in Sauber to his the champion title, and he has been the same hard working loyal guy all the way. Many is surprised and almost every one in a positive way. People has been spoken much negative things of him but he doesn't speak b** s*** of any one. :)

gloomyDAY
30th November 2007, 15:13
Let's just hope he doesn't run up anyones arse next year!Hope not! I don't think he really wants to be known as a "pitcher" in the paddock. This is the reason I mentioned that he is a mature driver. Vettel ruined a 2-3 podium for Red Bull, but the next time around he vindicated himself in China. Most people thought that he lost his nerve and would drive gingerly. Guess not....

Kevincal
30th November 2007, 16:40
I have been an Alonso supporter since about 2002. Mainly because we are the same age and I like his demeanor. He's so cool, calm and collected for the most part. He also seems genuinely nice in interviews. He treats interviewers with respect. You can see him looking in their eyes and actually listening to the questions with interest. Unlike most other F1 drivers who you can tell feel well above some measely reporter... Not to mention, he's a fantastic racecar driver. :)

Tazio
30th November 2007, 16:55
I don't have a favorite. I do have a few that I feel negatively about.
I admire Hamilton for what he did coming right out of the box.
Also Kimi for raw speed and straight forward persona.
Fred may be the most complete driver of the lot. Kubica may well develop into a monster.
Finally Massa for his school boy charm, of yes and he's fast, but inconsistent.
Of every driver I ever watched, numero uno would be the great Jackie Stewart.

SparkyKate
30th November 2007, 18:03
Nothing to add. Kate hits the spot so hard it sparks.

Ha! Always do thanks!!

petrolhead ben
1st December 2007, 11:40
Robert Kubica. The guy is still only 22, has shown so much still in a short space of time when basically it was his first season this year. Should have had more than one podium to date, but has had really bad luck this year. Has shown he is extremely quick, can RACE, we've seen him a lot this year passing people, also his fight with massa showed aggression, yet he knows how to defend too, like in silverstone, a TRUE racer. Not arrogant, in interviews he is just a real normal guy with his head screwed on properly and stays realistic. If BMW produce a good car again, and he has GOOD luck, he will be a real force. Lewis Hamilton has said he thinks Kubica will be his biggest rival in the future.

I love Webber too obviously because I'm Australian, but also love Kimi, Kimi would be my second favourite. As someone said, he just gets on with it, just drives, and produces results.

I miss Michael. a lot

Totally agree I like kubica a lot too. The way he started his career finishing on the podium in his third race at monza last year was impressive. Then this season he had mechanical and reliability issues at the beginning of the year followed by problems getting used to the new bridgestones on the BMW's.
Also the way he came back from his dreadful shunt in Canada to qualify and finish fourth in france and silverstone holding off massa in the process at silverstone.

As for kimi he's great. He doesn't say much, but when he does it's usually very good and often funny too. He's super quick and gets on with the job. He's certainly a worthy champion and can beat anybody when he's on it.

pino
1st December 2007, 11:55

I also agree with that :up:

aryan
1st December 2007, 13:04
Hamilton & Kimi.

Kimi would be the favourite, but I can't cheer up when the red team wins. Hamilton seems to be supremely fast, but I'll have my eye on him for a couple of more years before making defenite judgment.

Character wise, I like Truli and Wurz and Davidson as well.

passmeatissue
1st December 2007, 13:19
As for kimi he's great. He doesn't say much, but when he does it's usually very good and often funny too.

My two favourite Kimi comments were both at Michael's expense, don't know if that's a coincidence...

"He should have put his hand over the camera" at Monaco. Perfect!

"I've just been for a sh*t" at Brazil 06 when Brundle asked him why he wasn't at the presentation to MS for his last race. Delivered with that rare but brilliant smile.

:)

ioan
1st December 2007, 15:24
Given that MS is pretty much the most active Ferrari driver at this moment I'll have to go with him, for all the obvious reasons.

Than there is Felipe and Kimi, both exceptional drivers, different personalities but very likable in their own way.

Other than the Ferrari drivers I would go with Heidfeld, Alonso and Sato.

The driver that has most chances to get my vote in the future is Vettel, he's the most promising young driver out there and given a top team car he would make Hamilton look amateurish (he kind of managed it already driving for STR :D )!

Cozzie
1st December 2007, 20:41
It has to be Lewis, he is so calm and composed and he is already just about the fastest guy out there!

samehere
5th December 2007, 09:42
Fernando Alonso....he was great in minardi..he was great in renault he was great in mcl and he will begreat in any other team...he has the talent required for a champion....he is quick,inteligent and not conservative!

Trqster
5th December 2007, 09:49
It has to be Lewis, he is so calm and composed and he is already just about the fastest guy out there!

" "

jens
5th December 2007, 18:50
It often makes me wonder, what makes a person to start liking a certain sportsman. After all, we don't know anyone of them personally, but yet there is something that makes one more sympathetic than another. And often inexplicably. Often one starts supporting someone right at the moment the object was seen competing - at that moment the person was hardly known, but... (no answer). From another viewpoint we shouldn't care at all, how one or another 'stranger' performs, but... we care. And sometimes too much. :D

First of all:
Trulli: When I started following F1 closely, in the late 90s, I at first had many drivers, who I liked and wished to see doing well (as I still have at the moment) - both veterans and newcomers. But I think in the late '99 Jarno was the driver, who somehow came forth from the others, which was a result of the combination of unfulfilled talent, character and also the fact that he was a "future hope" at that time - so supporting him looked like a long prospect. About the meaning of "unfulfilled talent" - I have always felt sorry to drivers, who have been stuck in an average car for a long time in their career, although it can be clearly seen that they have talent and deserve a better chance. So I am some kind of a "loserhunter". :D About the character - he's not like a huge party-guy... and smiles a lot.

At the moment it's a bit strange to see the favourite driver gradually coming to an end of the career. It's clear that there are not many years left, and what's worse, there aren't many hopes left (in a bloody Toyota). :( I think it's the hardest period of supporting - without absolutely any hope of something positive in the future.

Secondly:
Vettel: So-called future hope. Usually my attitude about drivers derive from lower series and usually the liking level has been formed by the start of one's F1 career. I first gave him some notice at the end of 2005 and it's even hard to say that what exactly was it that made me supporting. Maybe because he looks younger than he is (and it's the same with me :D ) and I have traditionally supported Germans at sports.

In some strange way Trulli's and Vettel's debut seasons have been similar. Both retired - for different reasons though - after one incredible performance from a Top3 position and the best result of the season was 4th. As STR starts the 2008 season with one-year-old car and Prost had a hard year back in 1998, then maybe the similarities will carry on... I can only hope that Vettel will have more success and... of course more luck in the years to come. With a few exceptions, the supporting of Trulli has basically created only affliction throughout of his career and it would be hard to experience something like that again.

And of course Marko Asmer would join the list of top favourites if he joins F1. :)

ioan
5th December 2007, 22:25
In some strange way Trulli's and Vettel's debut seasons have been similar. Both retired - for different reasons though - after one incredible performance from a Top3 position and the best result of the season was 4th. As STR starts the 2008 season with one-year-old car and Prost had a hard year back in 1998, then maybe the similarities will carry on... I can only hope that Vettel will have more success and... of course more luck in the years to come.

Don't be so pessimistic.

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 10:06
Don't be so pessimistic.

He may just be an optimistic pessimist. But honestly, I think he is a realist. ;)