PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Lunch

Mark
28th November 2007, 09:21
Time for the works Christmas Lunch again (well on 17th December), just got the menu and as usual for this place it's a good job that they give you the menu in advance as it's needed google and wikipedia to figure it all out. Why can't we just go for a pizza? :p

THE GRAINGER ROOMS

Christmas Menu

To start

Pressing of local duck, mulled boozy prunes, hazelnut vinaigrette
Oak smoked salmon, fennel and orange
Crab cocktail, with beetroot and apple
Potted ham, pickles and crusty bread
Celeriac and Berwick edge soup with truffled chestnuts

Main course

Slow cooked welsh black beef, green leek mash and creamed horseradish
Catch of the day simply grilled with lemon butter, crushed potatoes
Roasted winter vegetable pasty with Yorkshire blue creamed leeks
Pot roasted English chicken with pan haggerty potatoes and vintage cider
North shields smoked haddock gratin, farmhouse cheddar, saffron potatoes

Desserts

Black forest chocolate pot recruiting
English and Irish cheese
Apple crumble with home made custard
Burnt cream with shortbreads
Spiced bread and butter pudding with vanilla whipped cream

No turkey you notice :s . Can't quite say I've seen a pasty as a main course before.. and we can't work out what "Black forest chocolate pot recruiting" actually means!

millencolin
28th November 2007, 09:26
the food sounds fancy, but that doesnt always mean its gonna be delicious. id go with the Slow cooked welsh black beef, green leek mash and creamed horseradish with the duck entree. with desert, how can you go past apple crumble!

Our xmas party was different. it wasnt a lunch, it was at night and it was in August. sounds strange but December is a hell busy month in Retail.

But cause i work for Billabong, it was one hell of an xmas party! hired out a conference room at a fancy hotel in surfers paradise and turned it into a nightclub with endless booze and food! very 'sketchy' evening

jim mcglinchey
28th November 2007, 09:41
All fairly local I see and none of your foreign nonsense, except the black forest bit, Gordon Ramsay would really aprove.

Daniel
28th November 2007, 12:39
Boozy prunes sounds like a bunch of girls out on a hens night :mark:

Loobylou
28th November 2007, 13:00
I'll have the salmon starter, the welsh beef for main & the spiced bread & butter pudding. :facelick:

Seriously that all sounds quite nice, unlike the fare offered by our caterers. If you don't like turkey or the nut roast, you're not having a main - I think we ticked the 'bargain basement (can we have a discount please) box' on their list of options. :rolleyes:

Needless to say there's a fair few of us not going.

Drew
28th November 2007, 13:21
Cheese for afters, you've got to be kidding me!

Mark
28th November 2007, 17:14
What do you mean? I quite often like cheese for after. Last place I was at did not bring any butter for the crackers tho :mark:

GridGirl
28th November 2007, 17:48
I had a roasted vegetable pie come pasty for my main at my Christmas party last year. The vegetarian options for these kind of things are usually the best and tastiest thing you could probably pick from the menu. :)

We have Chicken Tikka as an option for one of our starters this year. I really cant remember what else was on it. Mark, your lucky you've only just got your Christmas lunch menu. I had mine in September and it needed to be handed in by some time in October. I thought that was quite good becuase last year we received the menu in late July.

Storm
28th November 2007, 20:26
First time that actually reading a menu made me not want to eat that stuff...

mulled boozy prunes? :confused:

inimitablestoo
29th November 2007, 16:23
One of the options on our Christmas menu was described as "potato and leak soup". I think I'll pass on that until the source of the leak is determined... :uhoh:

DonnieDarco
29th November 2007, 23:07
Pressing of Duck? What the heck is that???

raybak
30th November 2007, 09:04
I've organised our work Xmas do and it should be pretty good. 70's disco theme, unlimited drinks and in a 5 star hotel putting everyone up there so no driving home. Should be a good night. Just don't expect to hear from me for several days afterwards.

Ray

Drew
30th November 2007, 12:56
What do you mean? I quite often like cheese for after. Last place I was at did not bring any butter for the crackers tho :mark:

If I go out to a restaurant, I'd want to eat something I couldn't slap up in a minute or 2 :p :

And cheese seems strange for a dessert, maybe I'm not cultured enough :p :

Caroline
30th November 2007, 16:44
What's Berwick edge soup? Someone has made that up surely.

Our Christmas dinner will be a slightly more generous version of the the school Christmas dinner that the pupils get. Except we get wine and crackers. Cost: £2.05