PDA

View Full Version : Jari Matti Latvala

Pages : 1 2 [3]

stefanvv
9th March 2013, 10:54
We have the chance to see it only 3 corners on gravel so far. Lets see what today will bring and what to expect further in Portugal.

Rallyper
9th March 2013, 14:16
If it was someone else he would be dismissed from regular works seat long time ago.

Because you never foot a truly fast driver, knowing that as teamboss... However he needs a shrink maybe or have to take on more sisu.

Mintexmemory
9th March 2013, 14:36
]

It took some years before JML could become truly fast in the Ford (if still woefully unreliable), I don't think VW will be as patient with him - especially as they have Mikkelsen waiting in the wings...

Oh I think they'll be very patient with him, he really is the only guy that can truly match Ogier's pace and Jost wouldn't want to see him in a DS3 anytime soon ;)
As for anyone else that had JML's run of poor results being sacked - well they might not be capable of winning rallies so wouldn't get the same consideration. Hell you'd think he'd gone as long as Petter since his last win!

[WRCRR]
9th March 2013, 20:42
he really is the only guy that can truly match Ogier's pace

Match Ogiers pace -well at least currently he can't. And as he can't, he should at least bring the car home for safe points. Yes, he was very unlucky in Mexico but it's hardly the point - how many times he has thrown it away because of stupid errors?

MikeD
9th March 2013, 21:01
Oh I think they'll be very patient with him, he really is the only guy that can truly match Ogier's pace ...

JML has never matched neither Loeb's or Ogier's pace on equal terms. he only matches them when he is doing super-rally and because it's down to road position. That's why he has only won 7 rallies.

tmx
10th March 2013, 00:34
Because you never foot a truly fast driver, knowing that as teamboss... However he needs a shrink maybe or have to take on more sisu. For shrink see Jackie, for sisu see Mika.

tfp
10th March 2013, 01:00
Because you never foot a truly fast driver, knowing that as teamboss... However he needs a shrink maybe or have to take on more sisu.

I think maybe he has too much sisu, thats the problem!

Juha_Koo
10th March 2013, 13:55
Once again a lot of BS talked about JML just because of a rock on the road. If it had been +/- 0,5 seconds in the qualification, it would have been someone else hitting the rock. JML has made many (stupid) mistakes but this was not one of them.

[WRCRR]
10th March 2013, 20:20
It is not about that he was unlucky (again). It is about the reality where he can't match Ogier's raw speed in the same car, not even in his favorite event. It's not gonna change soon - in fact I find it difficult to believe JML would be faster than Ogier anywhere, maybe (big maybe) in NORF but doubt it too. Let's see how he compares to Mikkelsen in Portugal...

Sprocket
10th March 2013, 20:50
]It is not about that he was unlucky (again). It is about the reality where he can't match Ogier's raw speed in the same car, not even in his favorite event. It's not gonna change soon - in fact I find it difficult to believe JML would be faster than Ogier anywhere, maybe (big maybe) in NORF but doubt it too. Let's see how he compares to Mikkelsen in Portugal...

It is difficult to think anybody is going to be as fast as Ogier full stop. I was watching JML's splits when he was testing with nothing to lose, other than stages where Mikko was backed off for tactical reasons, their pace was similar. Neither anywhere near Ogier.

Francis44
10th March 2013, 20:58
In his 5 starts in Portugal he was only able to finish 2, so I'd say it's better for him to colect points than push massively.
But then again this is Latvala we are talking about.

dupanton
10th March 2013, 21:23
]It is about the reality where he can't match Ogier's raw speed in the same car, not even in his favorite event.

He said it was the first time he was in the car on gravel this year... Just tested a few days in 2012...
And his favorite event is probably Finland, I think that rally still has to come?

andyone
11th March 2013, 05:40
Finland, I think that rally still has to come?
and i just cant wait becouse he will have gotten used to the VW now.. guys here talk a lot of bla bla. but to get used to a totally new car with the speeds this guys go. its not easy for some kind of driving styles. so lets wait let him get used to it. Ogier did soooo much practice with the Polo and development of the car.. he will be untouchable on many events i can tell you.

spyros
11th March 2013, 09:50
It is difficult to think anybody is going to be as fast as Ogier full stop. I was watching JML's splits when he was testing with nothing to lose, other than stages where Mikko was backed off for tactical reasons, their pace was similar. Neither anywhere near Ogier.

we have to wait,JML is as fast as Ogier on gravel and i hope he can win a rally this year with the polo!

Mintexmemory
11th March 2013, 09:55
and i just cant wait becouse he will have gotten used to the VW now.. guys here talk a lot of bla bla. but to get used to a totally new car with the speeds this guys go. its not easy for some kind of driving styles. so lets wait let him get used to it. Ogier did soooo much practice with the Polo and development of the car.. he will be untouchable on many events i can tell you.

Sssssh you'll be upsetting the instant judges with justifiable opinions!
As for JML only having won 7 rallies - He was only a No 1 for the first time last year - so had he not given Mikko 2 ralies in 2011 he'd now have 9 wins. So Mike D how many does Seb O have now? I admire both Seb O and JML and fail to see why either of them attracts such bile from people who don't have the slightest idea what it takes to drive at their level of committment. By all means analyse Latvala's supposed mental problems (including the ability to conjor up a rock that 'proves' he can't control a rally car at speed :rolleyes: ) til the cows come home but I think you'll find for the wins prior to 2012 JML beat Ogier fair and square (discounting the self inflicted super rally by Seb at WRGB in 2011 ;) ) That also includes the times he was ordered to gift Mikko the wins that kept him challenging Loeb. As for his times on Superrally not being special, I'd say they weren't at all bad given he was sweeping both days. Despite his 'terrible' start to the season, two podiums and he's right on Hirvonen's tail, who he is certainly going to finish 2013 ahead of. (Cue 'well that's just because he's got a superior car' argument ;) )

rallyfun
11th March 2013, 12:54
Once again a lot of BS talked about JML just because of a rock on the road. If it had been +/- 0,5 seconds in the qualification, it would have been someone else hitting the rock. JML has made many (stupid) mistakes but this was not one of them.

It's not only about a rock on the road in Mexico it's about his performance over couple of seasons.

Mintexmemory
11th March 2013, 13:18
It's not only about a rock on the road in Mexico it's about his performance over couple of seasons.

Oh you mean the 3 wins (plus 1 gifted to Mikko) and being the second best driver after Loeb on the tarmac rounds last year?( not to mention out-pacing Loeb on WRGB 2 years running) Let him go as long as Petter did without winning before saying his career is going nowhere. After Loeb who has been actually competing to win, as opposed to finishing with hopes the opposition hit trouble? One guy only and he missed last season ;)

rallyfun
11th March 2013, 16:35
Oh you mean the 3 wins (plus 1 gifted to Mikko) and being the second best driver after Loeb on the tarmac rounds last year?( not to mention out-pacing Loeb on WRGB 2 years running) Let him go as long as Petter did without winning before saying his career is going nowhere. After Loeb who has been actually competing to win, as opposed to finishing with hopes the opposition hit trouble? One guy only and he missed last season ;)

By performace I mean "performance" like this one on last SS in Poland 2009, spectacular roll in Portugal or less spectacular on first SS in Sardinia 2011 ect. Unfortunately all his wins and achivements won't balance those "incidents" I am affraid. Winning some SS doesn't make any one a champion or winner, to finish first, first you have to finish doesn't apply to JML.On positive side he changed the style of driving which should bring better results when he adapts to Polo.

[WRCRR]
11th March 2013, 16:53
If we want to start comparing wins and experience and such things, fine (I though the discussion was about Latvala's speed and ability to match Ogier this season which I very much doubt). First, you have to remember that this season is only fourth full season for Ogier in WRC car, and fifth in total. For Latvala it is seventh, and he had competed in 36 WRC events even before that, some of them in WRCar. So who should have the upper hand?

Also being second fastest to Loeb last season means just that - that he was second to Loeb, and as Ogier was competing in S2000 Skoda you couldn't compare them. This season he is at best third fastest, behind Loeb and Ogier - might be challenged by Hirvonen, Mikkelsen and Östberg on some events (Östberg less so, as the second evolution for Polo WRC will make it even more superior). And maybe to some this is a fine achievement in itself - but for some it is not, as we have been expecting more.

Sprocket
11th March 2013, 16:53
I still can't get over JML in the Monte, you just want the guy to get things together, I'm sure we all do, but it doesn't happen. You have a stage even Loeb could not drive competitively, yet JML manages to attempt to and crashes out - no points for that. I don't think either we all act as the critics, JML does that himself always saying what he must do to change. When will he actually do it?

Juha_Koo
11th March 2013, 19:15

Yeah right. How come this thread was then quiet for nearly five months? Everytime something happens to JML, the hyenas come out. It's funny because it's so evident.

Francis44
11th March 2013, 19:17
Yeah right. How come this thread was then quiet for nearly five months? Everytime something happens to JML, the hyenas come out. It's funny because it's so evident.

It's also funny how you show support so blindly for a driver who in 6 years in the WRC hasn't done anything substantial.

Juha_Koo
11th March 2013, 19:32
It's also funny how you show support so blindly for a driver who in 6 years in the WRC hasn't done anything substantial.

My "supporting" is not blind and it's not that funny... Seven WRC victories (incl. Finland, Sweden & GB) is not a substantial achievement? Apparently you then don't consider drivers like Märtin, Delecour, Toivonen and Ragnotti to have done anything substantial as they all have less WRC victories than JM.

stefanvv
11th March 2013, 19:35

All is on his shoulders now for proper championship fight. This is where the problem comes from. Ogier might mark Ostberg as his championship rival, but I don't think so, though he has the best chances among the rest Citroen & Ford.

Francis44
11th March 2013, 19:36
My "supporting" is not blind and it's not that funny... Seven WRC victories (incl. Finland, Sweden & GB) is not a substantial achievement? Apparently you then don't consider drivers like Märtin, Delecour, Toivonen and Ragnotti to have done anything substantial as they all have less WRC victories than JM.

All of those examples you gave are not ok. Did any of those drivers enjoy 6 years in the same team?! Had they the same level off oposition?! No.

Chissy555
11th March 2013, 19:36
I remember him in the Focus in the BRC in 2004/5, he was amazing......theres incar of his stuff thats awesome !

Mintexmemory
11th March 2013, 19:46
Apart from Loeb name anyone who has done something 'substantial' in the past 6 years. Hirvonen (only 2 years of the 6 as a No 2), Sordo (No wins), Petter S (No Wins) Ostberg (1 win - or none if you think Hirvonen was robbed ;) ) Only Ogier has a more impressive record as a competitor.
Interesting that the Ogier Hyenas have disappeared after the Monte outcry of 'arrogance'. (which was also rubbish!)

Rallyper
11th March 2013, 19:49
Anyone trying to make JML an everyday driver doesn´t know what they´re talking about. Circumstances and conditions varie för same driver over years. JML is documentadly fast driver having won several WRC rounds. Let´s give him a break and let him be used to new conditions in VW team.

I disagree those making him a nobody because obviously it´s not true.

dimviii
11th March 2013, 20:03
Apart from Loeb name anyone who has done something 'substantial' in the past 6 years. Hirvonen (only 2 years of the 6 as a No 2), Sordo (No wins), Petter S (No Wins) Ostberg (1 win - or none if you think Hirvonen was robbed ;) ) Only Ogier has a more impressive record as a competitor.
Interesting that the Ogier Hyenas have disappeared after the Monte outcry of 'arrogance'. (which was also rubbish!)

whats your problem with hyenas?
http://static.neatorama.com/images/2007-06/pet-hyenas.jpg

Ogier is arrogant,of course thats something different from his excellent driving skills.

ps hyenas waiting for Argentina.

A FONDO
11th March 2013, 20:28
If somebody even appear in Argentina, his excuse will be lost of rhythm :)

Juha_Koo
11th March 2013, 20:46
Sick hyenas... :D

dimviii
11th March 2013, 20:49
If somebody even appear in Argentina, his excuse will be lost of rhythm :)

big drivers doesn t need excuses. ;)

AndyRAC
11th March 2013, 21:55
I remember him in the Focus in the BRC in 2004/5, he was amazing......theres incar of his stuff thats awesome !

2003 - he crashed on all but one round, the Tempest Rally, which he won.....blinding speed, but lots of accidents. So no change there then.

danon
12th March 2013, 00:27
JML can win it all but...
The Empire keeps him on a short leash!

The moment Ogier fails (matter of time) he is to be unleashed by the Emperor.

Dug83
12th March 2013, 05:20

I think this is were they got it wrong with JML. They shouldn't have put him in to a WRC so young, he should have learnt in a FWD car first like Loeb, Ogier, Neuville and other. I know he did JWRC in 2004 but he retired on all but 2 events. You won't put a young guy try to make it in to F1 straight in to an F1 car.

Koceens
13th March 2013, 01:09
Mads also started his career almost immediately jumping into WRC car, but looks like he has got his consistency a lot faster than JML which he is still searching...

Rallyper
13th March 2013, 09:05
I think this is were they got it wrong with JML. They shouldn't have put him in to a WRC so young, he should have learnt in a FWD car first like Loeb, Ogier, Neuville and other. I know he did JWRC in 2004 but he retired on all but 2 events. You won't put a young guy try to make it in to F1 straight in to an F1 car.

Disagree. If you can start use the tool you are meant to use from the beginning, the more used to the tool you should be. No use to start use a spoon when you should use fork ...

Dug83
13th March 2013, 10:33
No use to start use a spoon when you should use fork ...

I think you'll find when you were a baby you started out with a spoon so you won't hurt yourself and then move to a fork when you were capable.

Just like you start with hand tools before you use power tools. There is always the right tool for the job and a WRC is not the right tool for a 17 year old to learn in. Look how quick the people who learnt the craft in smaller FWD cars get up to pace than the young one who go straight into WRC's.

dupanton
13th March 2013, 10:42
Guy's that started with smaller cars gone to the top faster than those who had the money to jump into a WRC right from the beginning. Neuville, Ogier and Loeb were faster at (near) the top then Ostberg, Novikov and Latvala...

rallyfun
13th March 2013, 15:01

I didn't realise that being fair maybe little bit critical is something wrong for some people.

A FONDO
13th March 2013, 15:10

What can you propose then, bashing him even when he's doing well? I can handle that but I doubt you'll like it :D

Other option is to defend and promote him all the time, like zombies... no, thanks.

Rallyper
13th March 2013, 17:32
What can you propose then, bashing him even when he's doing well? I can handle that but I doubt you'll like it :D

Other option is to defend and promote him all the time, like zombies... no, thanks.

Maybe we should have a bashing thread for every driver?

darkstar
13th March 2013, 18:37
at least we already have one for hirvonen and as far as i remember there was one for wilson too? ;)