PDA

View Full Version : Coulthard critical of rookie Nakajima

truefan72
26th November 2007, 18:05
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/26112007/58/coulthard-critical-rookie-nakajima.html

this is getting a bit old, as is he, for constantly complaining about other drivers. He say's it isn't sour grapes, but it totally is. Me thinks it's time for DC to gracefully exitstage right please

The old man is loosing it and desperately trying to stay relevant in the media. Let's not look at all the mistakes he's made in the 2007 with all his experience.
Just an unnecessary and akward comment,by a driver on his last leg in F1

ioan
26th November 2007, 19:59
Agree, it's sour grapes from DC, because a rookie got him on the outside of a turn! :D

Go home DC, you've lost any combative spirit you ever had.

ArrowsFA1
26th November 2007, 21:29
I can't remember seeing the incident so can't comment whether DC's criticism is valid or not.

truefan72, my memory must be going :p because I don't remember many errors from DC this season. Ok there was Australia when he hit Wurz and maybe Monza when contact with Fisichella damaged his front wing and sent him off the track, but overall, and taking into account reliability problems with the new Newey car, he did a decent job. He certainly did a pretty good job of finishing ahead of his team-mate in the WDC standings.

Garry Walker
26th November 2007, 21:54

this is getting a bit old, as is he, for constantly complaining about other drivers. He say's it isn't sour grapes, but it totally is. Me thinks it's time for DC to gracefully exitstage right please

The old man is loosing it and desperately trying to stay relevant in the media. Let's not look at all the mistakes he's made in the 2007 with all his experience.

What the hell are you on about? DC was speaking the full truth about Nakajima, who did make mistakes and seemed unprepared.
DC made very few mistakes in 2007.

Why would DC have sour grapes about someone like Nakajima? That guy will never amount to anything in F1, whereas DC has scored more points than all but 3 drivers, has many wins and poles and has fought for the title. DCs racing career in F1 will reach 15 years next season, Nakajima will be lucky to
manage 3-4 years and he even wouldnt be in f1, if it wasnt for the fact he is japanese.
Me thinks you need to get a sense of reality.

BDunnell
26th November 2007, 22:16
What the hell are you on about? DC was speaking the full truth about Nakajima, who did make mistakes and seemed unprepared.
DC made very few mistakes in 2007.

Why would DC have sour grapes about someone like Nakajima? That guy will never amount to anything in F1, whereas DC has scored more points than all but 3 drivers, has many wins and poles and has fought for the title. DCs racing career in F1 will reach 15 years next season, Nakajima will be lucky to
manage 3-4 years and he even wouldnt be in f1, if it wasnt for the fact he is japanese.
Me thinks you need to get a sense of reality.

Garry, while I think you may be being a bit harsh on Nakajima — though I do agree that he probably wouldn't be in F1 if it wasn't for his nationality, we haven't seen enough of him yet to form much of a judgment — I think your defence of Coulthard is absolutely right. He had a rather good season in 2007, and did beat his team-mate in the points, which is a useful yardstick, if not the sole one. This clearly indicates that he hasn't lost all racecraft or mechanical sympathy — far from it.

Valve Bounce
26th November 2007, 22:32
Frank Williams is in a very good financial position this year, and he doesn't have to think about selling Rosberg, his #1 driver. There's an article about it somewhere.

And guess who made this position possible? Nakajima, who must have brought this years engines gift wrapped for Frank's tanks.

Malbec
26th November 2007, 23:05
Nakajima wasn't THAT bad at Brazil, he set several laps that were quicker than his teammate despite being on a one stop strategy and he's shown good pace in GP2 too, although in my opinion he's a little unpolished at the mo. If he learns a lot during testing this winter he might be a bit of a surprise.

markabilly
27th November 2007, 00:26
Nakajima wasn't THAT bad at Brazil, he set several laps that were quicker than his teammate despite being on a one stop strategy and he's shown good pace in GP2 too, although in my opinion he's a little unpolished at the mo. If he learns a lot during testing this winter he might be a bit of a surprise.
Assuming he practices making pit stops where he is NOT running over others....

Tazio
27th November 2007, 00:39

I too am sick of DC's blathering! He's always had talent.
But I think he is in the habit of giving too much unsolicited advice.
A few years back when Sato made a very aggressive pass on someone I can't remember who.
DC told him "I wouldn't have tried that if I were you." Sato replied
"I know you wouldn't"---------- SA---Nap!!

Valve Bounce
27th November 2007, 00:49
I just cannot understand why DC is commenting on a rookie at Williams. It's not as if the guy made the spot at McLaren (that he didn't). :rolleyes:

Hawkmoon
27th November 2007, 01:37

No, Nakajima wasn't THAT bad in Brazil. He was THAT good!

- 5th fastest lap
- Fastest lap better than teammate Rosberg and Alonso
- 17th on the grid to 10th at the finish

All on debut at an unfamiliar track. Yes he made the pitstop mistake. So what? Schumi broke Stepney's leg doing the same thing in 1998. Yes he struggled in qualifying but that's exactly what the far more experienced Wurz had been doing all year.

No matter how Nakajima got the drive, he showed that he will not be out of place on the '08 grid. If the Williams is any good then I wouldn't be surprised to see him with quite a few top ten finishes next year.

kalasend
27th November 2007, 01:59
If my memory serves me well, last year DC made similar "too early" comment about a certain rookie driver of McLaren. That comment back-snapped him really hard, may I add.

GP-M3
27th November 2007, 04:14
I wasn't looking forward to seeing him race, but I was then impressed by him... he was quick and did a good job, pit stop withstanding.

cy bais
27th November 2007, 06:26
time to retire DC - hang it up old timer. Time to drive in the NASCAR Truck series with the other old geezers.

Roamy
27th November 2007, 06:35
I think DC's championship finally is near - I know he can do it !!
In A1 or Champ Car

F1boat
27th November 2007, 07:58
fousto, you might be kidding, but IMO DC should go to N/H/L in ChampCar and win the series, than retire. He is very good driver and deserves to finish his career on a high. In F-1, his best years are, sadly, behind him.

SGWilko
27th November 2007, 11:12
DC is one of the few remaining F1 drivers who is actually prepared to speak his mind.

Yes, he is getting on a bit, but he is allowed to have an opinion, isn't he?

jas123f1
27th November 2007, 12:51

Agreed - DC has getting old and maybe he has at last realized that "his season" will never come and now he has started complaining about other drivers instead .. :)

ioan
27th November 2007, 13:56
DC is one of the few remaining F1 drivers who is actually prepared to speak his mind.

I would have nothing against it if he would just turn his brain on before he starts to speak! :p :
Sadly I believe that with the age he forgot how that works! :D ;)

petrolhead ben
27th November 2007, 18:26
I agree with what some people have said about Nakajima's debut in Brazil being good, after all it was. I don't remember seeing a good enough replay angle of the incident in question with Coulthard, but his main error was certainly his pit stop error which looked nasty. But all in all he did well and looks quite quick. If Williams sort themselves out with a good car then he might spring a surprise.
Also Rosberg is proving to be a very good and talented driver, especially at Brazil where he beat the BMW's and overtook them on the track. He could be one to watch as well.

Garry Walker
27th November 2007, 19:53

All the fans are crying out for drivers to speak their mind, but if one of them does and the said fan doesnt agree with that view, the open driver suddenly becomes a crybaby and an idiot. The mind of a fanatic is a weird thing.

Nakajima wasnt that impressive on his debut, his laptimes were far off of Nico.

Malbec
27th November 2007, 20:36
Nakajima wasnt that impressive on his debut, his laptimes were far off of Nico.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2007/786/6461/fastest_laps.html

I don't think the DC bashing is warranted either. Drivers are asked opinions about others all the time, they don't decide one day to have a go at particular drivers for no reason. I don't see why particular drivers shouldn't be allowed to express an opinion. DC occupies a particular niche in F1, he is quite conservative on track but is more capable than most of bringing his car home quickly and in one piece as a result. Its because he continues to get good results that he's still got an RBR drive despite not being a Red Bull affiliated driver.

truefan72
27th November 2007, 23:10
No, Nakajima wasn't THAT bad in Brazil. He was THAT good!

- 5th fastest lap
- Fastest lap better than teammate Rosberg and Alonso
- 17th on the grid to 10th at the finish

All on debut at an unfamiliar track. Yes he made the pitstop mistake. So what? Schumi broke Stepney's leg doing the same thing in 1998. Yes he struggled in qualifying but that's exactly what the far more experienced Wurz had been doing all year.

No matter how Nakajima got the drive, he showed that he will not be out of place on the '08 grid. If the Williams is any good then I wouldn't be surprised to see him with quite a few top ten finishes next year.

yes not too shabby

If my memory serves me well, last year DC made similar "too early" comment about a certain rookie driver of McLaren. That comment back-snapped him really hard, may I add.

how true

I wasn't looking forward to seeing him race, but I was then impressed by him... he was quick and did a good job, pit stop withstanding.

exactly,

DC did make a few mistakes on 2007 not many, but he didn't stand out either, perhaps his constant commenting about other drivers and his over inflated clout he beleives he has in the community are getting too annoying.
Nobody made him official spokesman for F1 drivers.

It is not so much of the commenting on others that bothers me,but it is what he says and his feeling of being an "elite F1 pilot" fit to cast judgement on others.

truefan72
27th November 2007, 23:22
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2007/786/6461/fastest_laps.html

I don't think the DC bashing is warranted either. Drivers are asked opinions about others all the time, they don't decide one day to have a go at particular drivers for no reason. I don't see why particular drivers shouldn't be allowed to express an opinion. DC occupies a particular niche in F1, he is quite conservative on track but is more capable than most of bringing his car home quickly and in one piece as a result. Its because he continues to get good results that he's still got an RBR drive despite not being a Red Bull affiliated driver.

DC has seen fit to bash other drivers with a sense of arrogance about his own self worth, while some comments ( my own included) might seem a bit harsh, the general sentiment is that DC isn't in a postion to make critical comments about others, especially if it isn;t warranted. Most of his comments come out of jealosy, sour grapes or a dillusional image of his worth.

I feel that in equal machinery, there are at least a dozen other drivers that would be more aggressive and achieve better results than DC. Webber, basically blew him away this year if not of the mechanical incidents. Qualifying and running in the top 10,as high as p2 while DC languished in the mid to lower pack, bidding his time and hoping for incidents ahead of him to earn points.

He always lacked the killer instinct and all to often was the subject of on-track passing rather than the protagonist. Thus making his last comments about KN ever the more personal rather than objective.

Valve Bounce
28th November 2007, 01:29
DC has seen fit to bash other drivers with a sense of arrogance about his own self worth, ...........

I think DC is perfectly entitled to make judgement on the performance of all other drivers; after all, this is the year he is going to win the WDC, isn't it?? :p :

truefan72
28th November 2007, 05:34
LOL,

yes you are right?

it's all coming together for him now.

ShiftingGears
28th November 2007, 05:57
Coulthard: "He was a little erratic and hit me, so my car retained damage, which was irritating"
Media: "OLD AND BITTER!"

Come on guys, critisise drivers on comments that warrant critisism. If he was going to say something about the incident, what did you expect?

wmcot
28th November 2007, 09:04

I've got no problem with DC speaking his mind, but sometimes, it seems that he forgets that he was once a rookie all those years ago!

jso1985
30th November 2007, 01:15
and a rookie who crashed in the pit-lane!

30th November 2007, 17:35
I think Coulthard could still win a race if he had the right car under him because he has the experience as well as Barrichello has.

ioan
30th November 2007, 19:17
and a rookie who crashed in the pit-lane!

You mean the pit entry wall! On dry track! :rotflmao:

DC's too old and his memory is showing that! ;)

truefan72
30th November 2007, 22:58
LOL

I forgot about that!