PDA

View Full Version : Petter : "I will win the championship"

traxx
6th January 2007, 21:09
Petter is really motivated, he said to Juju l'arsouille : "I will win the championship, no doubt !!" :
http://wrc.is.free.fr/posts/2007/01/06/259-solberg-remonte-a-bloc

DonJippo
6th January 2007, 21:19
Did he also mention that he will take 10 wins while doing it? :rolleyes:

EuroTroll
6th January 2007, 21:20
Oh dear... :rolleyes:

Tomi
6th January 2007, 21:36
he propably has too many big helmets, poor little "sprattel Petter"

Viktory
6th January 2007, 21:36
he has showed before that he can talk the talk, let's hope he has learned to walk the walk again.

White Sauron
6th January 2007, 21:39
"It will be a different season in 2007 - trust me. I am going to bloody beat Sebastien and win the drivers' championship!"

hahahaha bloody beat))

NjHarwood
6th January 2007, 22:05
to be fair he is well motivated now that 2006 is behind him. The car has the pace, hes got the tyres, hes got his home event finally in the calander. This year couldnt be better for him!

A certain title contender!

Go Go Petter Go!

N.O.T
6th January 2007, 22:17
YAAAAWN.......

nice...what else is there....?

dune
6th January 2007, 22:30
dont even think he will win a rally

miksu
6th January 2007, 22:57
well, i certainly hope he will be in winning shape this year. Is he, we will see that later, but i think he has a much better chance now than last year, and the car is better. Maybe not good enough yet, but when they get a new version i really hope he will shake the standings at the top.

Tom206wrc
6th January 2007, 23:17
That would have surprised me if Petter hadn't said something like this before the championship to start !! :laugh:

A.F.F.
6th January 2007, 23:51
Yep, feels a deja-vu all the sudden.

tribefiend
6th January 2007, 23:53
I had a good feeling that he might have a decent year...then he goes and opens his big mouth. Last time he predicted 10 wins and Seb took those 10. I guess he'll just hand Loeb another championship.

koko0703
7th January 2007, 00:50
Petter can't do worse than last year, can he??? It's good that he's motivated. With glitches on brand new C4 and some mistakes from Marcus, Petter may have a chance.... well if Subaru is reliable enough ;)

paxtech
7th January 2007, 06:38
To quote Thomas Edison "Success is 90 percent perspiration and 10 percent inspiration". For Petter it sounds 100% inspiration :D 2007 championship won't be a walk in the park for sure.

Tomi
7th January 2007, 09:23
To quote Thomas Edison "Success is 90 percent perspiration and 10 percent inspiration". For Petter it sounds 100% inspiration :D 2007 championship won't be a walk in the park for sure.

yes true, because his head is full of perspiration

L5->R5/CR
7th January 2007, 09:27
Atleast we have a driver that is willing to be something more than cautious, reserved, and humble...

I miss personalities in racing. You Europeans and your levelheadedness...

HaCo
7th January 2007, 09:58
I hope he will be able to beat sebastian and gronholm. I would be really nice to see that he is back on top. It's nice to see that he is motivated!

Tumbo
7th January 2007, 10:39
end up the day he says what he feels and tries 100%; as always its easy to knock from this side of the fence. I'd rather a championship with 5-6 title contenders than put up with another Loeb onslaught; boring to watch and with the lack of WRC cars in the field makes following any rally a tad tedious. One can only hope that we have a tight finish as in 2003 and maybe someone stops Loeb from emulating Makinen cause I really don't think the two can be compared.....KKK/Makinen and Loeb?????

Would be interested to know if whether those bringing Solberg down would say the same if Gronholm or Loeb had said this? ;)

Tom206wrc
7th January 2007, 10:56
Petter can't do worse than last year, can he??? It's good that he's motivated. With glitches on brand new C4 and some mistakes from Marcus, Petter may have a chance.... well if Subaru is reliable enough ;)

You seem to forget Petter will also have a 100% new car from Mexico, with possible youth glitches !! :mark:

Tomi
7th January 2007, 11:18
Would be interested to know if whether those bringing Solberg down would say the same if Gronholm or Loeb had said this? ;)

I dont think they would, both are good sportsmen and have respect for their fellow competitors, also I think they know best of the current drivers how difficult it is to win a championship.

White Sauron
7th January 2007, 11:22

Actually Bosse has already said he's going to beat Seb in 2007. And Seb, If I'm not mistaken, said something similar according to gronholm, too. But you know... they say the same thing in other way. And in their words I do believe. No matter which of them wins. They just can back their words with their achievements. But Solberg even in a good car 9and yes, Subaru in Australia was really good, and Atko showed it!) lost to Hirvonen! For me, Solberg is just a chatter-box. Only blah-blah-blah. I want him to win. But only in this order: first win, then boast about it, but not like he's doing it: boastin about what he hasn't achieved yet. Argh.

White Sauron
7th January 2007, 11:26
That's the perfect example of how such things should be said. Bravo, Bosse! A real gentleman. All are strong, but I gonna be stronger.

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Gronholm-expects-Petter-and-Mikko-to-challenge-~cid~4~id~141718.htm

cut the b.s.
7th January 2007, 11:44
Atleast we have a driver that is willing to be something more than cautious, reserved, and humble...

I agree, its a sad day a driver cant be positive before the start of the season, funny how we have a thread on here devoted to encouraging negative thinkers to move on, yet when the lead driver in 1 of the 3 manufacturers teams talks up his chances people are down on him!

Brother John
7th January 2007, 11:48
I´l just wait and see what happens in the first 3 rallys!

Corny
7th January 2007, 11:59
How many times has he said things like this?

White Sauron
7th January 2007, 12:05
How many times has he said things like this?

Sorry for off-top, but I liked you signature in some way, Corny! Just as for me, I would call Travis Pastrana my A++ hero. Just watched summer X-Games, where he did the first ever double back-flip on bike, where he outperform McRae ina rally car... I doubt either Rossi or Schumacher can be so good in everything... I really respect this man now.

Donney
7th January 2007, 12:10
It is good to see that he is saying it again:

1st- It's new rally year tradition, sort of like Coulthard's this is going to be my year.

2nd- It shows he is still motivated and willing to prove it.

3rd- It puts some pressure on him and makes us wonder if the Subaru is so good, which creates and exciting preseason atmosphere.

I hope he is right :up:

Helstar
7th January 2007, 12:19
Well, certainly Petter and Subaru don't have the tyres excuse anymore ... if they fail to AT LEAST battle for the victory in every rally this year there will be a lot to laugh of.

Anyway, 3 people racing for victory instead of 2 ... the more the better (4,5,6 lol ... dreaming ....).

Simmi
7th January 2007, 14:08
The WRC needs a competitive Petter so lets just support him despite his questionable claims. Maybe he knows more then we do and wants to maybe encourage the top brass in Japan to throw more support his way. Starting the season already resigned to defeat isnt going to do him any good, not many drivers would have an ounce of confidence after the year Petter just had so I applaud him for that if nothing else.

Patwrc
7th January 2007, 14:08
I tend to be cautious, even if I am a fan of him. Like Brothen John said, it may well be suitable to see how he and the team perform in the first 3 rallies. If he's again scoring zero point in Monte and Sweden, I think it's rather difficult for him to chase any championship glory.

Corny
7th January 2007, 14:56
Sorry for off-top, but I liked you signature in some way, Corny! Just as for me, I would call Travis Pastrana my A++ hero. Just watched summer X-Games, where he did the first ever double back-flip on bike, where he outperform McRae ina rally car... I doubt either Rossi or Schumacher can be so good in everything... I really respect this man now.

I haven't been following him so closely in his career, that's probably why he's not in:P

Finni
7th January 2007, 17:24
Could someone give english translation from those Petter's words since it has started to be habit to exaggerate the word of drivers in headlines. As far as I know also Grönholm has not said that he will take championship - he has only said that he believes his chances. Also F-1 driver Massa didn't say that he will beat Räikkönen - despite headings claiming otherwise.

Fleur
8th January 2007, 03:06
I hope Petter is more successful this year with this claim than last year with his 10 victories claim. I would love to see him on the top of the podium at the end of the year, after a close battle with marcus and seb, of course!

koko0703
8th January 2007, 03:34
I tend to be cautious, even if I am a fan of him. Like Brothen John said, it may well be suitable to see how he and the team perform in the first 3 rallies. If he's again scoring zero point in Monte and Sweden, I think it's rather difficult for him to chase any championship glory.

Petter won't get new car til Mexico, so I'll be surprised if he makes it to the top of podium in first 3 rallies. If he does win, that just proves how bad Pirelli was.... I must say one podium out of MC, Sweden, & Norway with point scoring finishes in others is fairly good start for Petter.

PatRedmond
8th January 2007, 05:23
Did Petter even have 10 STAGE wins in 2006 ? :D

I'm a Subaru fan, but Seb is obviously the 'Class Of The Field'.

Tough talking is one thing.... backing it up is another.
A little talking to make things interesting is nothing more than getting us fans all worked up.
Bravo for that. :p

paxtech
8th January 2007, 06:36
And remember that Petter said he won't cut his hair until he won a rally? (2005 I think). Well, he never did. Good thing he came to his senses.

Halvard
8th January 2007, 08:02
I dont think they would, both are good sportsmen and have respect for their fellow competitors, also I think they know best of the current drivers how difficult it is to win a championship.

I don`t think this has anything with being a good sportsman or not Tomi.

Tomi
8th January 2007, 08:14
I don`t think this has anything with being a good sportsman or not Tomi.

Well, Grönholm and Loeb are good sportsmen, and they usually are capable to deliver their talks too.

Halvard
8th January 2007, 09:48
Well, Grönholm and Loeb are good sportsmen, and they usually are capable to deliver their talks too.

I don`t disagree with you, but I would say P. Solberg is a good sportsman aswell. Only with som high hopes.

He was world champion 2003. Second in 04 and 05. So he can`t be that bad. Maybe it`s "smarter" way to talk about the next season and your goals, but I can`t see that this is so bady either.

And what kind of achivement was it to win the title in 03. He won in a fight with drivers like Sainz, Loeb, Mcrae, Gronholm, Martin, Makinen, Duval, Rovenpäre, etc. Was the Subaru the "Xsara of that time." I don`t tink so. I would say this was a pretty good achivement. After that, there was only the title that was good enough for P. Solberg, but it has only gone one way.... So, this is 3 years ago, and he still wants to win. And he says whats on his mind.

Let`s give him some rallies in the new car with the new tires before we hang him.

My norwgian subjective opinion there.

Tumbo
8th January 2007, 10:39
remember he was also runner-up in 2002 ;)

Halvis
8th January 2007, 10:57
Could someone give english translation from those Petter's words since it has started to be habit to exaggerate the word of drivers in headlines. As far as I know also Grönholm has not said that he will take championship - he has only said that he believes his chances. Also F-1 driver Massa didn't say that he will beat Räikkönen - despite headings claiming otherwise.

Agree, I haven't seen him saying it any other place. But if he has, what's wrong with it? Should he say, Seb and Marcus is too good and have too good cars, I'll try to be third next year?

Tom206wrc
8th January 2007, 11:16
Careful !! Bashers of Petter will have rendezvous on this thread after each rally especially if he fails to win it !! :p :

Tomi
8th January 2007, 11:35
I don`t disagree with you, but I would say P. Solberg is a good sportsman aswell. Only with som high hopes.

if you read carefully i did not say anything about Solberg.

Solberg is a good driver too, he just usually talks more than what he is capable to deliver.

Simmi
8th January 2007, 11:45
In terms of being a sportsman and being professional I think Solberg was amazing last year. The amount of times he could have blasted the team and Pirelli publicly but didnt, refering to everything as 'we'. I think 37 stage wins in a whole season and no wins must have been hell for Petter. I dont think there is anything wrong with being positive for the mechanics, Subaru corporate and himself.

FrankenSchwinn
8th January 2007, 19:43
simmi, well, especially last year before the new contract, had he "bashed" his team he might have been out of a job right now!

about the difference between MG/SL and PS attitudes, it seems that the Fi/Fr ones are much more composed and respectful and less kid-like all excited attitude. it's true, as a 'high ranking' member of this site will point out i don't like petter. but i do like his driving, it's just his personality that i don't like and comments like these simply re-inforce what i think of him.

but also, look at where and how he made these comments, at a test, on the side of the road, to a guy with a hand held camera, and it was an informal 2min set of questions. nothing that deserves that much attention to.

and who the hell is "juju l'arsouille" because that really sounds like a shady weird name!

how do you people know how good that subaru is? because i haven't seen it in any rally yet!

WRCfan
10th January 2007, 15:22
Better then admitting defeat to Seb like everyone else seems to do, oh im hoping for a 3rd this weekend behind seb and marcus. How boring, time someone had the fire in their belly lit!!!

cyd
10th January 2007, 20:12
Petter might as well go in with a positive attitude after that rubbish season. I'm just concerned the team won't do anything on this present car and will focus on the new one. And that would leave him lagging far behind again.