PDA

View Full Version : COT - More Like F1

muggle not
25th November 2007, 03:41
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...fle/index.html (http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/11/24/cot.jroush.gbiffle/index.html)

If you're familiar with the 1980s Steely Dan song Glamour Profession, you might recall the lyric, "We'll make some calls from my car."

If you listen to Roush Fenway Racing team owner Jack Roush, however, that's something his Sprint Cup drivers won't be doing next year.

With the Car of Tomorrow being the only racecar available for use in NASCAR's top series next year, technology will take on an even bigger role in determining race setups. Driver feedback about the handling of the cars remains important, but Roush says the days of taking a driver's suggestions on how to fix a problem are gone."They can't make calls from the car," Roush said after a luncheon Tuesday at Lowe's Motor Speedway, honoring one of his drivers, David Ragan, as Raybestos Rookie of the Year in the Busch Series.

In the past, with the car that is now obsolete, Roush drivers Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards or Jamie McMurray might make recommendations for adjustments based on what they felt the car doing on the track. Now, Biffle concedes, computer simulations and the seven-post shaker rig (a machine that simulates suspension dynamics) are far more reliable in determining what a racecar needs.

"Some people may not know it, but these COT cars are all about engineering and computers and gadgets to make them go," Biffle said in mid-October. "You still have to have a good driver, but I can't pick a spring, a sway bar or nothing. We got rained out in Loudon [N.H.], and we called a guy in Michigan who's got a 'sim' program to find out what front sway bar we're going to race.

"I feel like we're F1 [Formula One] racing. Whatever the computer says, whatever the seven-post shaker rig says is the best set of shocks, by God, it's the best set of shocks -- period. I've only found a couple of times where I've found a shock a LITTLE bit better than what the seven-post said, but I can't beat it."

Roush says the heavy emphasis on technology flies in the face of what his drivers would like to do from the cockpit.

"What Greg wants to do, what I would want to do, what Matt wants to do and what [former Roush driver] Mark [Martin] wanted to do was to sit in the car and say, 'All right. This thing is loose in, so put some more spring in the right rear; put some more load in the right rear,'" Roush said.

"Or, 'It doesn't turn in the middle, so I want to go down an eighth on bar. [With the COT], the driver can't make that determination. What the driver needs to do -- given all the data and all the support the engineering people bring -- what the driver needs to do today is say, 'OK, my worst problem is I'm loose in, my worst problem is it won't turn in the middle, my worst problem is I'm loose off,' and let the engineers go back and in four- or five-dimensional space decide to move some weight, change the shock, change the bar and change the spring.

"Myself and all the drivers I know think two- or three-dimensionally. They certainly can't think four- or five-dimensionally. They can't go back and figure what the net effect will be of making the four changes that need to be made at the time. That has taken it out of the hands of the driver, not from the point of view of providing the information that's required, but from making the determination of what to do."

Juan Montoya, who came to NASCAR from the extremely technical racing of Formula One, can appreciate that point of view. The team he drives for, Chip Ganassi Racing, didn't have a seven-post rig in 2007, but that's about to change.

"The more data points you have, the better you're going to run," Montoya said. "We don't have one [a seven-post rig] yet, but I believe we're getting one."

Though NASCAR introduced the COT to enhance safety and parity in the sport, Biffle thinks increased emphasis on technology may be a by-product the sanctioning body didn't anticipate.

"I don't think that's where NASCAR intended our sport to be with this new car," Biffle said. "They wanted to get the teams closer together, build a safer car, get the bodies squared up and all that. But I don't think they anticipated the engineering coming so far."

Sparky1329
25th November 2007, 05:19
It's like IROC on speed.

wedge
25th November 2007, 13:51
Thanks for that article, very interesting.

I think the big teams like Roush and Hendrick would've invested in testing rigs regardless of the COT because they have the money to burn and testing in NASCAR is very restrictive.

It doesn't help with the COT being such a pig, and I would happily admit that its been an anti-climax so far for me.

I think NASCAR will always be NASCAR and not hi-tech because the guy on the street can relate to basic engineering - you're dealing with a basically tunable V8, shocks, springs, sway bars, etc - basic things that you could tune on your own car.

With F1 it seems you need a Phd in aerodynamics and electronics and so forth which can be off-putting. Some people would prefer to see the sport rather than have science lecture.

Don't get me wrong, I love both NASCAR and F1, but like anything in life there's pro's and con's and neither is 100% perfect.

colinspooky
25th November 2007, 16:15
So long as the racing remains largely unpredictable, the better, no matter what the technology is. One team will generally dominate most seasons, but that domination needs to be able to move around. If Hendrick became the Ferrari/McLaren of NASCAR that will be sad. I have nothing against the team - I cheer for any driver who does well. Well, apart from the Busch bros. And Robbie Gordon (sorry). And I hate to say it but the manic stlyle of Kyle B is exciting to watch. (Where did the super naff Rowdy tag come from?)

Anyway, I digress.. It will always a concern that the tech will take over from the talent.

RaceFanStan
25th November 2007, 16:24
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/heh/imo.jpg
I don't think the COT caused technology to increase, only more useful ...
some teams were using the 7 post shaker rig well BEFORE the COT ...
some drivers were using computer simulations well BEFORE the COT ...

back when Andy Petree was a team owner, he owned a 5 post shaker rig ...
(the predecessor of the 7 post shaker rig)

Technology isn't the master but a tool to help set-up the racecar/truck ...
ultimately the crewchief will determine the final set-up with ALL of the facts available ...

UNTIL the racing becomes single-file with no lead passes a comparison to F1 is not merited. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

harvick#1
25th November 2007, 16:37
the racing has become more single file racing, it seems all this progressive banking has forced teams to run the highline now these days. almost all cookie cutter tracks, the line is the high line now and it makes for boring racing, and now Bristol is the same crap.

if Goodyear finally pulled their heads out of their bums, they would finally start make racing better, the teams can't make improvements to their cars because Goodyear just plain sucks (although I do wonder if Goodyear has given the 24 and 48 softer tires :p : )

RaceFanStan
25th November 2007, 18:35
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/heh/dont.jpg

muggle not
25th November 2007, 19:57
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/heh/dont.jpg

RFS, unfortunately that is exactly what many of the old time fans are doing....not watching nascar. The TV attendance is down 21% in the last 2 years and attendance is dropping at the tracks. Mostly due to the changes that brian has brought to the sport.

harvick#1
26th November 2007, 04:38
RFS, unfortunately that is exactly what many of the old time fans are doing....not watching nascar. The TV attendance is down 21% in the last 2 years and attendance is dropping at the tracks. Mostly due to the changes that brian has brought to the sport.

+1

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
26th November 2007, 09:56
The TV attendance is down 21% in the last 2 years and attendance is dropping at the tracks. Mostly due to the changes that brian has brought to the sport.

Or that might be the plastic fans that have got over the fashion statement that was turning up at a race track. NASACR was the hot thing for 2-3 years now its not. i bet if they got rid of the chase it would be back up. And the COT argument is bull as well.

"the COT is less like a road car than the current car"

Crap. What part of the (not) current car is anything like the road car?. sweet **** all. Im i the only one that doesnt get why they keep saying that?.

muggle not
26th November 2007, 13:02
No, it is the old time fans that are leaving not the newbies. Brian further agitates the core fans by making statements that for every old fan that leaves 2 or 3 newbies take their place. Bottom line is that Nascar is losing fans in big numbers and they need to do something to stem the tide.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
26th November 2007, 13:41
Your right, but i do believe that at least a quarter of those fans leaving the sport are newbies.

21% is a big drop, why havent they hit the panic button yet?. Is it just arrogance of the top brass?

muggle not
26th November 2007, 16:11
Your right, but i do believe that at least a quarter of those fans leaving the sport are newbies.

21% is a big drop, why havent they hit the panic button yet?. Is it just arrogance of the top brass?
IMO it is arrogance of Brian and his close compatriots. Last year he blamed the TV decline on NBC for not promoting the series. This year he states that it is a result of the overall decline in sports viewership. I wonder what he will blame next year.

Erki
26th November 2007, 18:07
IMO it is arrogance of Brian and his close compatriots. Last year he blamed the TV decline on NBC for not promoting the series. This year he states that it is a result of the overall decline in sports viewership. I wonder what he will blame next year.

On Junior not making the chase. :s tare:

muggle not
26th November 2007, 19:46
On Junior not making the chase. :s tare:
LOL, hardly. Jr will be in the top 5 next year, bank on it. :p :

Three drivers in the 2007 Chase that will drop out in 2008 are: Kyle Bush, Martin Truex, and (sadly) Jeff Burton. Those on the bubble will be Bowyer, Harvick, and Hamlin.

tassiedevilAB
27th November 2007, 03:04

Three drivers in the 2007 Chase that will drop out in 2008 are: Kyle Bush, Martin Truex, and (sadly) Jeff Burton. Those on the bubble will be Bowyer, Harvick, and Hamlin.

Wow! thoes are bold preditions, some of the ones that missed out this year out of the top 12 have got more info & have got use to the CoT, there is already head scratching to see why HMS got it right & others failled.
If the domination goes on next year , there will be crahshfest time on all there cars, HMS will not have it all there own way next year.
the other manufacturers have a big carrot dangling in the faces & HMS is in there sights.

RaceFanStan
27th November 2007, 03:19
tassie, you should realize to crash or beat a Hendrick car, you must 1st catch it ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

:rotflmao:

Sparky1329
27th November 2007, 04:53
Or that might be the plastic fans that have got over the fashion statement that was turning up at a race track. NASACR was the hot thing for 2-3 years now its not. i bet if they got rid of the chase it would be back up. And the COT argument is bull as well.

Crap. What part of the (not) current car is anything like the road car?. sweet **** all. Im i the only one that doesnt get why they keep saying that?.

The "trend" that started following Dale Earnhardt's death was over in two years. Since the implementation of The Chase ratings and attendance started to drop. The 2007 ratings plunge has been eye-popping. Gas prices, ticket prices and price increases overall certainly have had a negative impact on attendance. It's those TV ratings that should be grabbing NASCAR's attention and pronto.

Nicholas Morse
27th November 2007, 05:51
Television as a whole has been dropping in the ratings. 'Sports' have been hit big by that ratings drop, across the entire spectrum. NASCAR doesn't exist in a vacuum where they are the only sport suffering.

The first year the "Chase" was implemented, NASCAR saw it's highest ratings ever.

I am not a fan of Kyle Busch, but the only direction he can move is forward and continue to improve, it is a scary thought for everyone on the track and around the sport.

NASCAR isn't that bad off, the fact that NASCAR can deliver (on average) 100,000 fans in attendance for the longest season in professional sports is incredible. Along with large amounts of TV viewership.

Every sport except for F1 and (maybe) the NFL would love NASCAR's numbers. It is a lot easier to fill up a 27,000 seat arena than a 148,000 seat grandstand.

harvick#1
27th November 2007, 06:17

we shall see how good he is compared with Mears cars, theres no way Jimmie or Jeff will ever allow Jooyner to get their cars.

I see Jooyner once again like always, be a bust, just like Eli manning, hes ok, but he seemed to have the genes skip him :p :

Roush has seemed to get the COT down pretty well now, if not for Almirola not blocking Kenseth, Johnson may not have passed Kenseth and even then, Biffle was faster than both and would've passed them both. the CoT will once again be a wild card since they never raced on a cookie cutter track.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
27th November 2007, 10:01
Jr is a great driver. he has never had the equipment to show it. This year he drove his heart out and had some great races. he would have had plenty of top 10/top 5's if it wasnt for the "dependable" TEI quality.

I also believe that Jr doing badly has also taken it toll on the ratings and track attendance. But i see him doing well next year at HMS.

call_me_andrew
1st December 2007, 21:08
It's like IROC on speed.

No, IROC cars could handle. The COT is very sluggish. So it's more like IROC on pot.

the racing has become more single file racing, it seems all this progressive banking has forced teams to run the highline now these days. almost all cookie cutter tracks, the line is the high line now and it makes for boring racing, and now Bristol is the same crap.

if Goodyear finally pulled their heads out of their bums, they would finally start make racing better, the teams can't make improvements to their cars because Goodyear just plain sucks (although I do wonder if Goodyear has given the 24 and 48 softer tires :p : )

Progressive banking just lets driver pick a line other than the bottom. The gear rule is what's making the top so popular.

If Goodyear made softer tires, we'd have an extra 20 cautions every race.

That depends a lot on model year.
http://www.johnnybenson.com/images/96car1.gif