PDA

View Full Version : What's your worst purchase/buy ever?

Mark
23rd November 2007, 09:06
We've all had those things which we have bought thinking it was a great idea at the time. My two worst were both about 10 years ago. A Sony minidisc player that I only used 3 times and a Gameboy advance which I only used once!

millencolin
23rd November 2007, 09:35
Toshiba Laptop... it fried one day after the warrenty expired... ONE DAY!!!!

Mp3 Astra
23rd November 2007, 09:46
Mini-Fridge, last year.As a fridge it was useless, and it was quite ugly. It was basically a cupboard that kept your drinks at... room temperature!

Daniel
23rd November 2007, 11:59
I think my RIO MP3 player that I bought back in 1999. Same as this one but in black. I think it had 64mb of storage space!!!! Wow!

http://img.timeinc.net/time/digital/reports/mp3/images/rio.jpg

Drew
23rd November 2007, 13:15
A pair of shoes that broke within a month, a generic MP3 player that broke within a month and this slow slow laptop :p :

A.F.F.
23rd November 2007, 16:35
I bought two sets of Phillips wirless headphones until I realised they are total waste of money.

Now I have Sennheisers and they're brilliant.

Poor shouldn't buy **** :s

nicemms
23rd November 2007, 17:31
Worst - Advent Laptop 1.3ghz processor, paid £400 for it 4 years ago and was slow from day one!

Best - Components for pc, £550 a few months ago! Brilliant pc, especially since I built it!

jso1985
23rd November 2007, 20:06
A Motorola C350.
battery didn't last more than 3 days and the thing went kaput 1 month after the warranty expired :dozey:

Camelopard
23rd November 2007, 20:47
A Celine Dion CD (don't ask!).

KILOHMUNNS
23rd November 2007, 21:49
An automatic Renault Megane Scenic.

CCFanatic
24th November 2007, 00:13
Worst purchase. I just turned 18 today and bought a pack of cigarettes. Never smoked before, and never will. Still have a burning in the back of my throat.

wedge
24th November 2007, 01:17
We've all had those things which we have bought thinking it was a great idea at the time. My two worst were both about 10 years ago. A Sony minidisc player that I only used 3 times and a Gameboy advance which I only used once!

Ahhh, the minidisc! Looking back on it now it was a bad venture, but at the time I absolutely loved the thing. You could make sample loops quite easily without spending a fortune on samplers or DATs, and many record companies and radios accepted minidiscs and I ended up helping mates record DJ mixes, singles, samplers from 4 tracks, make loadsa copies to be sent out. Now its all about MP3s and Ipods.

Which brings me to the MP3 player. I had one with 20G which I took with me for 6 months travelling. It lasted barely month!!! I was absolutely gutted. Favourites from my music collection were gone at flick of a switch.

I have no intentions to buy another and I now rely on my trusted personal CD player.

tmx
24th November 2007, 08:10
Wireless keyboard/mouse. Very terrible, signal problems and inconsistency. I got it returned though.

Other is the Logitech G25, short circuit and died out on me it seemed, but it was a refurb in this case. Seem like I enjoy the cheaper momo much more.

DonnieDarco
24th November 2007, 08:31
A Samsung slider phone for my son. Turns out the screens are very weak, not that this was mentioned at the time. Tom keeps his phone in his pocket and within a very short space of time a black blob appeared in the centre of his screen. This got so big that it obscured the entire screen completely, although the phone could still make and receive calls.

jim mcglinchey
24th November 2007, 11:39
An automatic Renault Megane Scenic.

A Renault Master Van, it cost three grand about 10 months ago and we've already spent more than that in repairs and van hire while its getting fixed....just one effin' thing after another.

Mark
24th November 2007, 13:49
The mini disc was a good idea that was not done properly. Firstly they were too expensive best part of £200. And they could only be recorded onto at real speed, which made them no better than tape recorders. They did eventually come out with models which had a USB connection but it was too late as flash and hard drive devices had already taken over.
My mistake in buying it is that I was not really bothered about listening to my own music (I am still not if you got me an ipod I probably would not use it).

pino
24th November 2007, 14:07
The Suzuki Vitara 4x4 bought it 2 years ago, and sold it back just after 3 months, the only thing I liked was the Radio/CD control on the steering :s

Mark
24th November 2007, 17:35
That was 2 years ago? :s hock:

Daniel
24th November 2007, 17:53
The Suzuki Vitara 4x4 bought it 2 years ago, and sold it back just after 3 months, the only thing I liked was the Radio/CD control on the steering :s

No real man should ever own a softroader ;)

Daniel
24th November 2007, 18:35
A Samsung slider phone for my son. Turns out the screens are very weak, not that this was mentioned at the time. Tom keeps his phone in his pocket and within a very short space of time a black blob appeared in the centre of his screen. This got so big that it obscured the entire screen completely, although the phone could still make and receive calls.
LCD screens are by their nature very fragile and can be cracked simply by putting them in a small pocket and sitting down or having a key or a coin hitting the screen. I somehow doubt samsung screens are weaker than any other screens :)

allycat228
24th November 2007, 21:42
I once watched a programme about Vitara owners i have never seen anything as flunny in all my life

BDunnell
24th November 2007, 21:54
I haven't made all that many, because I don't buy a lot of stuff, but the little Ferguson pocket radio I bought in the spring was a rubbish purchase. I love having a radio with me at all times, including while abroad, but this one is useless for the purpose because it doesn't have a 'lock' or 'hold' switch/button on it. Stick it in your pocket, or even just inside a bag, and the retuning buttons get pushed involuntarily all the time. I then have to get it out and retune it back to what I want.

Still, at least it was cheap!

LeonBrooke
24th November 2007, 22:08
I bought a flash 128MB USB drive/MP3 player/note taker for $100 at the start of 2005, when I started university. It works fine, never had any complaints, except that it was $100 for 128MB - my mum got something very similar a year later for $35...

FIA
25th November 2007, 13:02
My iPod Nano, untill I found the on button after 3 months. (Don't Ask!)

Now it's the best.

jso1985
25th November 2007, 21:39
I take back my answer

It's actually my first PS2, costed 350 $US, didn't have warranty as it was bought from the black market, the piece of sh*t started failing after 3 months, after several repairs costing even more money, the thing finally stopped functioning at all and I had to spend 250 $US more for a new one

DonnieDarco
25th November 2007, 22:47
LCD screens are by their nature very fragile and can be cracked simply by putting them in a small pocket and sitting down or having a key or a coin hitting the screen. I somehow doubt samsung screens are weaker than any other screens :)

Doubt all you like, but Vodafone staff are now warning people specifically about the Samsung slider screens being particularly weak - gee, wonder why???

Daniel
26th November 2007, 02:25
As I said LCD screens are by nature fragile. I've seen LCD's flexed to stupid angles and some breaking with a lot less pressure. LCD screens are weak. If you put a phone in a pocket with change or keys the chances are it will break.

Mark
26th November 2007, 07:36
LCD screens are weak but some have better protection than others, it would seem the Samsung is particularly bad. I've never known anyone to have problems with LCD phones (i.e. all of them) in their pockets before.

I did manage to break an LCD once but that involved dropping it on concrete. I wanted to get rid of that phone anyway so I wasn't too sad. Then I bought a 3230 :p .. which despite it being a terrible phone by todays standards I don't thing was a bad choice.

F1nostalgic
27th November 2007, 14:58
Hey all, have been lurking for a while but finally decided to sign up. :D

Anyway about the Samsung slide up phones, I have had nothing wrong with my one at all and I have had it for almost a year and despite me dropping it a lot, it's still fine and dandy. :D

My bad purchase was our Philips router which is over a year ago, it is slow and crap and the wireless can drop out at random. :\

anthonyvop
7th December 2007, 03:26
Worst purchase ever?

That is easy......My Wife.

leopard
14th December 2007, 06:45
Worst purchase ever?

That is easy......My Wife.
You are not alone...

Dave B
14th December 2007, 08:48
I've had a few Samsungs without any problems but my latest phone had a touchscreen which responded to a light breeze in the Atlantic, let alone a human touch. After a month it went on eBay.