PDA

View Full Version : You're soooooo fired Mr Policeman

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 18:39
*Warning* not a nice video.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,23599,22802136-2,00.html

How fired is this guy? I do hope this guy gets fired and goes to jail with a big "I'm a policeman and whoops I just dropped my bar of soap" t-shirt :p

I think the police are great but when one abuses his power so stupidly he deserves everything he gets.

Drew
22nd November 2007, 18:48
Who knows. Did those cops get sent to jail for beating up those black guys in LA?

Dave B
22nd November 2007, 19:19
It's the tiny minority of idiots like this who give the thousands of genuine coppers a bad name :s

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 19:38
It's the tiny minority of idiots like this who give the thousands of genuine coppers a bad name :s
Definitely. I've never had anything but good experiences with the police :up:

Sadly the next idiot who gets pulled over will probably just shoot the police officer without warning :mark:

Drew
22nd November 2007, 19:43
It seems we've had problems in the UK with the Chief constables rather than individual coppers, for example North Wales police and the Metropolitan police

A.F.F.
22nd November 2007, 19:54
Talking about preventing the thread in advance. :s

Sadly there are similar cops, I think in every nation, including ours.

Tomi
22nd November 2007, 20:10
I also have had mostly good experiences with the police, once 1 police stole 300 DM from my pocket, it did happen in East Berlin.

A.F.F.
22nd November 2007, 20:34
I also have had mostly good experiences with the police, once 1 police stole 300 DM from my pocket, it did happen in East Berlin.

You must have dreamt Tomi. There is no such place as East Berlin ;)

Tomi
22nd November 2007, 20:36
You must have dreamt Tomi. There is no such place as East Berlin ;)

not anymore, they should not have taken my money.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 21:22
What's a DM? How can someone take something from you that doesn't exist? :confused:

Camelopard
22nd November 2007, 21:34

Surely the nice Policeman would have exchanged your worthless West German Deutsch Marks for highly valuable East German Ost Marks, second only to the Soviet Rouble as the hard currency to have in your pocket :) .

Tomi
22nd November 2007, 22:11
What's a DM? How can someone take something from you that doesn't exist? :confused:

somehow they could, im still wondering how it was possible. :)

Tomi
22nd November 2007, 22:16
Surely the nice Policeman would have exchanged your worthless West German Deutsch Marks for highly valuable East German Ost Marks, second only to the Soviet Rouble as the hard currency to have in your pocket :) .

1 to 4 it was then, the police just found a for him cheaper way, unfortunatly. But else the trip was ok, with only 6 hour transitvisa we stayed 1,5 day, the real problems came when trying to get out from there.

Malbec
22nd November 2007, 22:28
*Warning* not a nice video.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,23599,22802136-2,00.html

How fired is this guy? I do hope this guy gets fired and goes to jail with a big "I'm a policeman and whoops I just dropped my bar of soap" t-shirt :p

I think the police are great but when one abuses his power so stupidly he deserves everything he gets.

Some more footage of Tasers being used inappropriately. Neither of the films are pleasant btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvrqcxNIFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6EQOo_lQa8&feature=related

In the first the guy is tasered for not standing up when asked to. If the police officers couldn't pick him up without tasering a cuffed person then perhaps they aren't physically fit to be police officers.

In the second the guy is bundled to the ground and cuffed for asking ex-presidential candidate a silly question then tasered again for refusing to stand up when asked.

I don't think anyone was disciplined over either case though.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 22:49
Shocking Dylan. I think a tazer is a great "tool" for officers but it seems lately that people just get tazered because the police get angry or can't be bothered to do the job. I say again that most police are great but it's there few bad eggs that make them look bad.

rah
22nd November 2007, 22:52
I don't like the idea of Tasers. They are used too redily for my liking. The Australian police are trying to get them at the moment. I think they are trialing them in QLD. Plenty of people have died from them too.

millencolin
23rd November 2007, 02:31
I've unfortuately had many bad experiences with the police. I know most cops out there are good people, but the amount of crap i've had to deal with due to incompetant police officers has given me a bad view of them. I can't trust the police anymore.

They always assume that i've done something wrong due to the fact i was a teenager with a skateboard and funny looking hair. I've never broken a law in my life, heck i havent even got a speeding ticket, yet if something goes wrong and i happen to be in the neighbourhood, they seem to think its me. It's not a one off thing, its happened to me over half a dozen times.

I've been accused of being on drugs (even though ive never taken drugs), one tried to arrest me for being drunk in a car even though i was in the passenger seat and was completely sober. his reasoning was that my eyes were glazed over. well yours would be too if you had the copper shine his torch in your eyes like he did! i've had my car searched and been accused of possessing a weapon (it was a studded belt). i've been questioned and interrigated about a crime that occured in another suburb, even though i spent the entire day at the local skate park and had plenty of people to back up that claim.

Police just profile people 'hey look, he's a skater punk, he must be guilty of something' maybe they should investigate more and profile less.

My point is though (i know ive gone off topic) is that I know there are good cops out there, hopefully one day i will meet one. But for now, i will not trust the police.

FrankenSchwinn
23rd November 2007, 02:38
it's not the tazers that are bad, it's the cops using them. in the Daniel example the Utah police s*t head is obviously a power hungry high school drop out. the Georgetown example from Dylan (his first link) is famous because it came about a student who didn't want to produce forms of ID because the security guards came up to him and him only. they wrestled and he got fried. sort of simple. dylan's second video is from a famous "coup" during a Kerry speach. the student had every right to ask his question and demand an answer but the problem obviously occurred when the Kerry people did not let him get an answer even though he had all his rights to. in that particular case it's obvious that it was not his fault.

airshifter
23rd November 2007, 02:56
Maybe it's just me, but if the guy hadn't directly disregarded the order of the cop, he wouldn't have gotten nailed to begin with.

I suppose the cop should have let him get back in his vehicle and drive away?

Magnus
23rd November 2007, 07:18
Anyone who knows what has happened to the officer in the clip?

jim mcglinchey
23rd November 2007, 09:09
Maybe it's just me, but if the guy hadn't directly disregarded the order of the cop, he wouldn't have gotten nailed to begin with.

I though that Tazers were for protecting the cop from violence..not on the spot punishments for minor traffic violations.

555-04Q2
23rd November 2007, 10:18
Tazer? Should have shot him instead.

Daniel
23rd November 2007, 10:22

As I believe it you're more than within your rights as a US citizen to resist wrongful arrest. As he was never read his rights and never told what he'd done wrong he was probably well within his rights to pull and gun and shoot the police officer which thankfully he didn't. As Jim said tazer's are to protect officer's. Not to deal out on the spot punishments on camera and get yourself fired and sent to jail to be big bubba's "friend".

airshifter
23rd November 2007, 17:54
Resisting arrest is a crime. If the arrest was unjust or unwaranted a court of law is the place to dispute it. There is no place I know of where anyone has a "right" to shoot someone even if you assume an arrest was going to take place and was in fact unjustified. Being that the man wasn't arrested, or even detained yet, there was no reason to have rights read to him.

A cop also has a responsibility to protect the public as well as themselves. Having disregarded the direct instruction of the cop and made it clear he didn't give a flip what the cop had to say, the man was walking back towards his vehicle as if the cop didn't exist.

Does anyone think the situation would have been more controlled once the guy was back behind the wheel of a several thousand pound vehicle, and pulled back out into traffic?

Erki
23rd November 2007, 20:18
At least he didn't die... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dziekanski_taser_incident

Magnus
24th November 2007, 08:11
What bothers me is that it first seems that the victim refuses to sign the bill, because he believes it is based on wrong ground. I do not know the juridical system in the US, but in these cases the normal drill is to identify the suspect, and settle the deal in court. As a cop you can not force anyone to sign anything. The cop is the arm of the law, and he actually has no right of punishing at his own will. The officers big mistake was that he was upset when the victim didinīt want to sign the bill.
Naturally the victim did a mistake himself when he refused to take order from the police to stand still, but he is under big stress from a officer he believes is out of line.
In the so called developed countries we always believe that the police know what they are doing. it has to be like that, since it is a pilar of our society. Big problems may arise though when we meet that odd character who doesnīt follow the rules of the system himself. Civil courage is not an easy thing, because when shown at the wrong place, in the wrong situation, itīs just an ordinary crime, in another situation it may qualify for the Nobel peaceprise.

J4MIE
24th November 2007, 15:08
Can't believe that anyone would event attempt to defend the policeman :s

Agree with Magnus (becoming a habit I think), the guy couldn't believe what was happening and the copper got increasingly frustrated. But surely if he's putting handcuffs on the guy he has to tell him why and read him his rights, rather than saying "you're going to jail" :s

airshifter
24th November 2007, 22:27
I don't know of any speeding ticket in the US where signing admits or implies guilt of any sort. Most tickets clearly state that by signing you are simply in receipt of the ticket, and on the ticket it will further go into rights of appeal in court.

If people didn't have to follow the order of a cop just because they felt the cop was in the wrong, it would be rather worthless to be a cop, and next to impossible for a cop to bring order to a situation.

Magnus
25th November 2007, 09:21
I don't know of any speeding ticket in the US where signing admits or implies guilt of any sort. Most tickets clearly state that by signing you are simply in receipt of the ticket, and on the ticket it will further go into rights of appeal in court.

However the officer also has the option of just writing "refuses to sign" on the bill, then handing it over to him. He also has the option of arresting him, or taking him into custody, but in that case he has to read the suspect his rights, which he refused to do.
regarding the use of taser it is carried out during three conditions:
- When a person is a threat to themselves or another person.
- When physical use of force could endanger the person or someone else.
- When other means of has been ineffective and a threat still exists.
never the less: this officer causes problems for other police-men who are not so easily triggered.

I guess we will have to wait for the investigation to finish before we can tell who is right and who is wrong. In my eyes though it doesnīt look good; this officer certainly is not a good representant for the police force, regardless of whether he was in his full right or not, and as it looks he certainly was out of line.
Preventing crime is not only about protecting the laws, it is also about building a good name among citizens; it is very important that everyone can feel that he is treated fairly by the police. If the police acts in a professional way, they build a positive feeling towards them in the community. By this much is won "for free". To behave in a respectful way, and to deal carefuly with your authorities, gives respect in return.

airshifter
25th November 2007, 16:36
Magnus,

I'm not trying to imply that the cop was fully in the right, but more playing devils advocate. To me the fact that the man more or less ignored the cop is a sign of irrational behavior. He was walking back to his vehicle after the cop had told him to do otherwise. Even if the man wasn't speeding he elevated the confrontation by doing so. I would suspect that any cop would be much more suspicious that a person acting in that way might be under the influence of alcohol or drugs as well, at which point the public safety issue comes into the picture.

To behave in a respectful way, and to deal carefuly with your authorities, gives respect in return.

I agree with this statement, but see no indication that the man in that video gave the cop any respect in the situation. After the man refused to sign the ticket he further ignored the order of the cop.