PDA

View Full Version : The wall

Magnus
21st November 2007, 18:40
Looking at the vids from Bosses off in Ireland it seems as it takes around three seconds from the position he is in when he loses control, until he hits the wall.
During most of this time the engine is at idle; naturally because the car is under hard breaking.
When looking at the vids a few times, and having studied the place "live", I canīt help wondering if Bosse could have managed the situation by engaging a lower gear and flooring it. The car certainly would have kept sliding but he would have improved his cornering, and possibly managed to get the car through, or at least caused less damage to it.
What do you think?

MrJan
21st November 2007, 18:47
I thought this when I first saw it. The thing is that when it's actually happening 3 seconds is a very short amount of time. You've watched the video a few times from outside the car rather than being surprised and sat in the car. Maybe flooring it would have taken a bit of the impact out but retrospect is a wonderful thing :D

Magnus
21st November 2007, 19:01
Maybe I should point out that there is no question in my mind that it was a difficult situation, and that three seconds can be a very short period of time, to think and act. But to be a smartass in retrospective can be a little fun, thats why I present the question.
As I say: I would never have gone of like that; I would never have dared going that fast... :)

White Sauron
21st November 2007, 21:18
As was said previously in another thread, Bosse is one of the best, if not the best, rally drivers in the world. If he couldn't manage this situation, then there was a reason for this beyond his control.

J4MIE
21st November 2007, 22:48
I agree with you Magnus, usually if you can see that you are going to go off you drop a gear, floor it and pull the handbrake, but Marcus didn't seem to do anything really :s Maybe he was watching his championship chance jump up, over the wall, and into the sea beyond? :(

turves
21st November 2007, 22:50
from what I saw, the car was face on to the wall when he started sliding, so I think he did manage to turn the car somewhat. My thoughts when I heard the engine idle were that he should have either floored it, or yanked on the handbrake. Sure, he would have still hit the wall, but I dont think he'd have been out of the rally if he'd hit it back on.

MrJan
21st November 2007, 23:20
I though that he'd already turned in and just seemed to bung the clutch in rather than get on the throttle. It's a strange one because usually Marcus is a great instinctive driver (that's what sets him apart from clots like Pons and Duval)

cannyboy
22nd November 2007, 00:19
Well, if you are going to hit a wall, the back of the car is the place to do it.
On the other hand, there would be more pressure on a smaller section of the wall, and it may have given way, dropping him into a lake.

Tough call :'>