PDA

View Full Version : Kimi to retire end 08?

seppefan
21st November 2007, 15:44
If Alonso is really looking to move to Ferrari in 09 then does this mean Kimi would retire and has signed only a two year contract? After seeing that Alonso needs to be the number one driver with everything that goes with it surely he would not want to team with kimi as he would have to be joint number one. This perhaps explains why Massa has been signed for three years as Ferrari know Kimi is retiring at the end of next season.

F1boat
21st November 2007, 16:04
It might be true, if Kimi wants to try something new. He achieved his main aim and won the Championship.

Schnell
21st November 2007, 16:14
Well he's a no nonsense type, who I guess doesn't really see himself as a 'celebrity' (sensible bloke) and would see F1 as 'job done'. Makes sense to me.

RaikkonenRules
21st November 2007, 16:19
Nah I think he'll stay. Don't think Ferrari would take Alonso over him ever.

F1boat
21st November 2007, 16:28
I hope that he stays, because he is a very good driver and very cool as personality, although I'd love to see him winning different kind of races.

Rusty Spanner
21st November 2007, 16:34
Kimis Ferrari contract runs through to the end of '09.

catnip
21st November 2007, 17:05
If you ask Kimi, he'll say that he has "a few years" left in his Ferrari contract, but he tends to be a bit vague about numbers so who knows what it actually means. He's definitely contracted until (and including) 2009 and may have options that go even beyond that.

Also, it's by no means sure that he'll retire after his current contract expires. A year ago, when his Ferrari deal was announced, he said Ferrari would be his last team in F1. A reporter took this to mean that he was already planning to retire and asked him about it. The answer was a somewhat surprised "Well, I didn't say it would be the last contract I'd sign..."

Hawkmoon
21st November 2007, 21:48
I'd be disappointed if Raikkonen retired but not really surprised. He's never struck me as one of those guys who think only of F1. Now that he's reached the top I think he'd leave if something caught his eye that looked more interesting.

He's not like Hamilton or even Schumacher before him. Those guys seemed to almost exist only to race F1 cars. Schumi can't even make a clean break after retiring. I think that once Raikkonen decides to retire we'll never see him in any F1 related capacity again.

AndyRAC
21st November 2007, 22:09
Can never work Kimi out, that's why he's so popular. All he's interested in is driving flat out, nothing else. I think he may go Rallying.

CCFanatic
21st November 2007, 22:49
He would be what 30? That is pretty young for retirement. That would make you think he'd want to try something else.

Doesn't strike me as an oval guy, so Nascar and the IRL are out of the question.

He is pretty good at Monaco, but the money is not there in CC for him to come.

DTM is in a mess.

He is a Fin for sakes! WRC is most Fin's life. Kimi and Rossi in 2009 with Loeb, boy would that be a big way for WRC To start to grow again.

leopard
22nd November 2007, 02:34
Nah I think he'll stay. Don't think Ferrari would take Alonso over him ever.
Are you afraid of losing your Rules? ;)

leopard
22nd November 2007, 02:42
"Kimi is a worthed driver, he deserved the title" Alonso admitted.

wmcot
22nd November 2007, 03:04
Can never work Kimi out, that's why he's so popular. All he's interested in is driving flat out, nothing else. I think he may go Rallying.

Could you imagine him in NASCAR?? :)

CNR
22nd November 2007, 03:35
He would be what 30? That is pretty young for retirement. That would make you think he'd want to try something else.

Doesn't strike me as an oval guy, so Nascar and the IRL are out of the question.

He is pretty good at Monaco, but the money is not there in CC for him to come.

DTM is in a mess.

He is a Fin for sakes! WRC is most Fin's life. Kimi and Rossi in 2009 with Loeb, boy would that be a big way for WRC To start to grow again.
he was 28 last month
http://87.117.195.32/kimi/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1098

but do not forget that Ferrari had the contract option on him when he was at sauber (Ferrari powered) before he joined mclaren so he could be there a few more years

Published on The Brunei Times (http://www.bt.com.bn/en (http://www.bt.com.bn/en))
Kimi 'the gorilla' takes part in powerboat race

BUDAPEST

Saturday, August 4, 2007

AS if there were not enough monkey business already in Formula One with all the accusations of spying and sabotage, Kimi Raikkonen was questioned on Thursday about dressing up as a gorilla.

Finnish reporters at the Hungarian Grand Prix said Ferrari's free-spirited driver and two friends took part in a powerboat race last week in the Finnish harbour city of Hanko while wearing gorilla suits.

They then won a prize for the best-dressed crew.

Asked about the episode, Raikkonen smiled enigmatically: "Yeah, but was it really me?" he replied. "You don't know.

"We've got the trophy already. It was just a boat race and we went for fun," he added.

Raikkonen, winner of three races already in his first season at Ferrari as replacement for retired seven times champion Michael Schumacher, is used to such escapades.

Earlier in the year, the "Iceman" entered and won a snowmobile race in his homeland under the name of James Hunt, the late British Formula One champion renowned for his wild playboy lifestyle.

Rollo
22nd November 2007, 05:27
I have it on good authority that instead of the new Airbus A380, Virgin Atlantic will be buying a fleet of 50 "British Landraces" as part of their drive towards more Porcine Aviation.

F1boat
22nd November 2007, 08:05

No, because he would not enjoy this type of racing, I think. He might try to win Indy 500, but I am not sure that this race means anything to him. He'll try some rallying for fun and, if he is good, might take a shot for the WRC.

raikk
22nd November 2007, 08:06
Kimi doesnt retire.. he goes to Mclaren in 09 :laugh: your on the right track though ;)

raikk
22nd November 2007, 08:08

nope

F1boat
22nd November 2007, 08:09
No, he won't go back to McLaren. Never.
Why should he?
After so many years with them, he experienced only bitterness. In his first try with Ferrari, he won, despite McLaren's best (and worst) efforts. So he will stay with Ferrari, the team who made him Formula One World Champion.

markabilly
22nd November 2007, 14:14
Everyone seems to be assuming that Kimi has a plan to do something in a couple of years......and if he did, he would talk about it with newspaper reporters, just like Kimi was doing all season long, about how Kimi is going to win the WDC, how Kimi will be a worthy WDC, how Kimi is a real team player, how he has accomplished so much, how Kimi tried to be best friend with his teammate for the good of the team, how he will win it all next year, how Kimi will stay at Mac for the rest of his career, how Kimi is cooler than Kimi,.........opps seems I got him confused with Bernie's dream WDC....

wmcot
23rd November 2007, 09:11
No, because he would not enjoy this type of racing, I think. He might try to win Indy 500, but I am not sure that this race means anything to him. He'll try some rallying for fun and, if he is good, might take a shot for the WRC.

I know. The NASCAR thing was a joke. I did not intend to imply that Kimi would actually go there. I can't imagine him hanging around the "good ol' boys" after a race! I can see him in rally, though.

SGWilko
23rd November 2007, 12:06
I know. The NASCAR thing was a joke. I did not intend to imply that Kimi would actually go there. I can't imagine him hanging around the "good ol' boys" after a race! I can see him in rally, though.

Perhaps he should get into 'professional pub-crawling' once he is done with motor racing.......?

jas123f1
23rd November 2007, 14:15
If Alonso is really looking to move to Ferrari in 09 then does this mean Kimi would retire and has signed only a two year contract? After seeing that Alonso needs to be the number one driver with everything that goes with it surely he would not want to team with kimi as he would have to be joint number one. This perhaps explains why Massa has been signed for three years as Ferrari know Kimi is retiring at the end of next season.

It can be in that way. However Kimi has told that he will newer drive in any other team after he quit at Ferrari. I don't think he has any ambition to tray beat Schumi’s 7 times record .So what's the point now to risk his life? And it can also be absolutely opposite.. he said that “loves Ferrari” and enjoy to work with all people there.. so who knows. The most important is that he is now the WDC-title holder.. it’s great ;)

Trqster
23rd November 2007, 18:38
It would make no sense for Kimi to retire before 2012 or so, as he's still young enough for at least more 5 years of F1 and winning maybe more one or two WDC along the way.

leopard
27th November 2007, 03:44
No, he won't go back to McLaren. Never.
Why should he?
After so many years with them, he experienced only bitterness. In his first try with Ferrari, he won, despite McLaren's best (and worst) efforts. So he will stay with Ferrari, the team who made him Formula One World Champion.

True, besides Alonso would have been already there also, though. ;)

pino
27th November 2007, 07:11
The only reason I don't close this thread... is because we are in off-season :crazy: :p : ;)

leopard
27th November 2007, 07:23
The only reason I don't close this thread... is because we are in off-season :crazy: :p : ;)
thanks for cooperation :p :

jas123f1
28th November 2007, 08:29

It's a good reason :D

seppefan
28th November 2007, 13:23

What is wrong with this thread please?

ClarkFan
29th November 2007, 00:19
Now that he's reached the top I think he'd leave if something caught his eye that looked more interesting.

Is there a racing series that uses strippers?

:p

ClarkFan

pino
29th November 2007, 07:23
What is wrong with this thread please?

The title ;)

Juppe
5th December 2007, 06:54
Kimi said in Jerez that he will drive at least the next two years, but probably "a few" years after that as well.

He said that is is easier for him to drive now that he has fulfilled his goal to win the WDC...

So he'll be probably around a little bit longer still, I think that a lot depends how things go the next two years.

leopard
5th December 2007, 07:29
Btw, that is great wishful thinking. Hoping to see him to be able to overcome opening season syndrome, not to be easily overshadowed by the teammate.

samehere
5th December 2007, 09:27

why should he retire??he can still sign for mclaren or a team that will be up there in 2years ;-)

samehere
5th December 2007, 09:28
Kimi said in Jerez that he will drive at least the next two years, but probably "a few" years after that as well.

He said that is is easier for him to drive now that he has fulfilled his goal to win the WDC...

So he'll be probably around a little bit longer still, I think that a lot depends how things go the next two years.

I hope he will stay...he is a good driver and after he won the title maybe he will be more calm and drive with clear head...without mistakes...

samehere
5th December 2007, 09:29

:-D

leopard
5th December 2007, 09:35
:-D
You have performed 13 attempts writing invalid smilies, Try again! :)

A.F.F.
5th December 2007, 10:31
Strong rumour flows around the jetset of Finland, in which I obviously belong that Kimi indeed will retire after two years.

leopard
5th December 2007, 10:46
He would be much missed then.

Juppe
6th December 2007, 16:19
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64294

Raikkonen not thinking beyond 2009

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Thursday, December 6th 2007, 11:24 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen says he is not yet thinking about what he will do when his
contract with Ferrari comes to an end following the 2009 season.

However, the 28-year-old Ferrari driver, who clinched his first championship
in 2007, says he is not considering retirement just yet.

"Not at all," said Raikkonen when asked if he was already thinking about
retiring, "but my event horizon at the moment gets to the end of 2009, when
the deal with Ferrari expires.

"I'm not setting other limits for myself. I don't know how many more years I
will race.

"I've always said that I didn't want to retire without having won at least one.
Now that target has been reached. Now I want more, as many as possible.
Starting from the next one," the Finn told Corriere dello Sport.

Raikkonen also admitted he is happier at Ferrari than he was at McLaren, for
whom he drove from 2002 to 2006, and he says he wants the Italian squad
to be his last team in Formula One.

"Definitely," Raikkonen added. "I'm satisfied with the team, the relationship
with the engineers and everything else. I don't see any reason to go
elsewhere. This team suits me really well.

"I don't know if this will be my last contract, but I want Ferrari to be my last
team."

The Ferrari driver says he is enjoying staying away from the headlines as the
media focuses on Michael Schumacher's return to action, Lewis Hamilton's
awards, or Fernando Alonso's future.

"I think it's very nice. This way the others are always in the spotlight while I
live a quiet and enjoyable life," he said. "You know what? The world champion
is me and nothing can change that.

"I'm only interested in one trophy, the one given to the world champion and
that I will be given in Monte Carlo on Friday. The other awards, the
nomination as driver of the year and things like that is stuff I'm happy to
leave to others