PDA

View Full Version : Petter Sooooooolllberg, Petter Sooooolllberg....

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 23:09

I haven't heard this irritating song in a while.

All our favourite drivers have faced an era of bad luck, well all but one, but don't you guys think what Petter has gone through is ridicilous. It's not secret that the fame is vanishing here on the forum but it seem that Petter has been forgotten completely. And frankly, there really hasn't been much to tell lately.

It just got me thinking how he feels now when he as a professional athletic must know deep inside that the pace is still there and it has not disappeared anywhere but he hasn't succeeded to show it in any way. First Mikko went by him. When making pickems, it's easy to pick top three for every single gravel rally. Now it seem that Petter won't fit in top five or six even.

We all know it due the car. Or do we ?? I just can't believe how an organization experienced as SWRT can't fix the problems for Petter :confused: And at the same time, somehow Chris Atkinson is able to set up decent stage times.

I know the expectations for Petter are far more than for Atkinson. Therefore it's easy not to see what exactly Petter is able to do with that car. Maybe he also has made some decent times with Impreza but we are / I am blind for them.

One thing is for sure though. Put it anyway you want, blame him as a driver or the car or the team, he has had too much bad luck over the past few years that no-one can't compare. Not even Marcus. Some may say drivers make their own luck. It might be but Petter has had to push over the limit with invalid machinery. No wonder the rate of mistakes is huge. It's just a shame that former champion is forced to struggle like he is, not to mentioning how his absence narrows the level of competition in the highest top of WRC.

I wish Petter finally get a winning car. But I don't wish that irritating fansong back. :)

Tomi
20th November 2007, 23:22
In some tread was that he has contract until 2010, so he has to wait to get a good car quite long time, by then I guess many younger drivers are much faster already.
This long dry season maybe has effected him on the menthal side too.

tmx
21st November 2007, 02:52
actaully end of 2009 if i remember correctly. also i have to a disagree about atko doing better, because petter is clearly more consistent and scored more points this season.

i am losing hope because he doesn't quit swrt and i cannot see swrt coming back to take the championship anytime soon. i know that even if he quit he probably don't have any other team to go to, except suzuki maybe. and if in 2008 the new subaru doesn't come back into winning form, than i may lose all hope. his carreer would be "over", because he is getting old now spending all this time at swrt. and for me there will be ...many tiny tears.

i still believe petter is an excellent driver, because i watch his onboard cameras. he have a very precise method himself and i think his pacenotes are very good. no i don't think the younger drivers are faster, he just need a better car and regain of confidence. he cannot fight in top form for a long time, that top speed begins to wane. good thing Phil Mills is still with him until now, and he's 40yo now i think.

don't get me started about the swrt's authority figures.

A.F.F.
21st November 2007, 04:27
i still believe petter is an excellent driver, because i watch his onboard cameras. he have a very precise method himself and i think his pacenotes are very good. no i don't think the younger drivers are faster, he just need a better car and regain of confidence. he cannot fight in top form for a long time, that top speed begins to wane. good thing Phil Mills is still with him until now, and he's 40yo now i think.

don't get me started about the swrt's authority figures.

As do I. I do think Petter is among the fastest and don't believe the young ones are faster than him. But I wonder as you do, what has this struggling done to his confidence?? I consider him pretty much similar driver than Marcus, I want to call them as "mood-drivers". They drive as fast as it's possible in any circumstances but when they're feeling good, happy, they seem to be unstoppable.

Petter has been more than loyal to SWRT. This would be a time pay it back with winning car.

Oh, and please do start about SWRT's authority figures :)

pino
21st November 2007, 06:14
I still think P.Solberg is the 3rd best driver in WRC after Loeb and Marcus, and as posted many time, his only and main problem is the Car :hmph: Hopefully soon at SWRT they will do somenthing about it... :rolleyes:

Helstar
21st November 2007, 06:15
Totally right, you can compare Petter situation to Marcus when he was with 307. And if Marcus didn't switch to Ford (who happen to develope a great car) and/or Peugeot stayed in WRC with 307 or some other 'new' slow car, this thread would be dedicated to Marcus I think.

Give Petter the Focus or the C4 and you'll see him battling for victory (at least in gravel rallies, sure).

Gard
21st November 2007, 06:31

I haven't heard this irritating song in a while.

snip snip..

I wish Petter finally get a winning car. But I don't wish that irritating fansong back. :)

You can't have one without the other :D

1LM1
21st November 2007, 09:02
Totally right, you can compare Petter situation to Marcus when he was with 307. And if Marcus didn't switch to Ford (who happen to develope a great car) and/or Peugeot stayed in WRC with 307 or some other 'new' slow car, this thread would be dedicated to Marcus I think.

Yes Impreza seems to be a total failure. I am wondering what Loeb or Marcus could do with it while Petter in the C4 at the same time for example. I think Petter would win.

There is some truth in your comparison even if I personally still think that the couple Marcus/307 would have done better in 2006 and 2007 with proper development than the couple Petter/Impreza is doing. Remember Cyprus 2004 (and with Pirelli), Finland 2004 (Pirelli), Finland 2005 and other rallies in 2005. As for speed, it was not so bad and there was hope. There was bad luck and reliability problems at the end of 2005 (Peugeot was intentionally taking big technical risks at the end like the revolutionary gear box in Corsica which led to a withdrawal) but Marcus was closer to Loeb than Petter has been for many years now.
Ok, the 307 WRC was too difficult to drive to be the ultimate rally car but Impreza seems to be even more difficult to drive and more unpredictable.

Impreza WRC is a mystery. Prodrive and SWRT as a whole has been an enigma for at least three years now.

But

Finni
21st November 2007, 10:18
Ok, the 307 WRC was too difficult to drive to be the ultimate rally car but Impreza seems to be even more difficult to drive and more unpredictable.
Impreza WRC is a mystery. Prodrive and SWRT as a whole has been an enigma for at least three years now.

I agree that current Impreza (and partly last year's one; altough it was rather slow whole the time!) have been enigmatic ones because of extremely inconsistent speed. Altough I wouldn't say that same about their 2004 and 2005 models. We shouldn't forget that Petter ruled wrc with 2004 Impreza. With proper reliability he would have won almost every gravel round. And with that car he even beated Loeb and Grönholm in Sweden 2005 which was last rally for the car. 2005 model was not step ahead but it was not catastrophe - as a whole Petter paralleled Marcus + 307 (they were both out of contention often due to tyres).

I think that 2006 model was fair step back. I have heard similar assesments from inside Subaru camp. (that car wouldn't have even challanged Marcus + 307 because sometimes it was even in difficulties to beat Stohl + 307!) 2007 model might be marginally faster than 2006 model at its best (rare moment!). Unfortunately 2007 model's delivery seems to be as inconsistent as british weather. Its changing performance from leg to leg is as enigmatic as mystical. I am quite certain that Subaru's 2004 model would parrallel their current car's "best moments" easely without bad moments.

As to Petter I think that he actually was very near to Loeb's and Grönholm's pace in Mexico, Argentina, Portugal and Greece. Ultimate pace is still there. I just don't know why he has lost his confidence totally after those races and has gambled more and more with mystical set-up or mental problems.

Finni
21st November 2007, 10:25
I still think P.Solberg is the 3rd best driver in WRC after Loeb and Marcus, and as posted many time, his only and main problem is the Car :hmph: Hopefully soon at SWRT they will do somenthing about it... :rolleyes:

Am I right that for you Petter was the best or at least the fastest driver in 2004??? Is there anywhere acces to old discussions from 2004? I could demonstrate that Pino has changed his views like old good rally blonde! :) And that concerns many forumers.

Roy
21st November 2007, 10:41
Some adore Petter, because he is mr Hollytwood, because he is world Champion of 2004, because he can set some fast times. I think he is fast and he has a car that isn't good. But... he isn't that good he is at the top. Loeb is top! After him very close come Hirvonen and Latvala (I speak about after Gronholm). Than comes Solberg and Atkinson who is closer by and more times faster than P. Solberg.

For a good WRC competition I hope Subaru comes with a fast car. That is what the sport needs. Lets see what Petter (and Atkinson) can do with a new car.

jure dvorsek
21st November 2007, 10:50
My opinion: at the moment Impreza is much to slow compare to C4 or Focus '07, let say 0,5 sec/ km.And also much less realaible. Next season totally new impreza, which will be definetley faster compare to this year model, and let say they will get this 0,5 sec, but also in M-sport and in Citroen Sport people will not sleep during winter and both cars will be again faster in spring. So SWRT will be again slower. SWRT must produce a true revolution, if they can become at least as fast as Ford&Citroen.

1LM1
21st November 2007, 11:09
Unfortunately 2007 model's delivery seems to be as inconsistent as british weather.

:up:
I couldn't say better :)
Yes I agree. Troubles at Subaru began with 2006 car.

The big surprise is how dfficult it has been for Prodrive to improve the situation since then. Maybe some improvements have been made this year but I expected a lot more from such an experienced top team.

1LM1
21st November 2007, 11:19
My opinion: at the moment Impreza is much to slow compare to C4 or Focus '07, let say 0,5 sec/ km.And also much less realaible. Next season totally new impreza, which will be definetley faster compare to this year model, and let say they will get this 0,5 sec, but also in M-sport and in Citroen Sport people will not sleep during winter and both cars will be again faster in spring. So SWRT will be again slower. SWRT must produce a true revolution, if they can become at least as fast as Ford&Citroen.

I agree that the task for Subaru is maybe bigger than we thought after their first disastrous season (2006) because the more the time is flying, the more M-Sport and Citroen Sport seem to be working efficiently.

MJW
21st November 2007, 11:49
I read today that Subaru will have a S12C (my name for the car) from January as a replacement to this current version until S14 comes out in August for NORF. This years (2007 S12B) was supposed to be an improvement on the previous years car. However, it was designed with a lot of engineers who worked on S12. Since late summer some key engineers who previously worked at SWRT in the glory days, late 1990's to early 2000's have returned. Maybe these rally engineers will turn things around that the "race guys" could not. Also, they will never admit it but I'm sure the F1 thing at Prodrive was a distraction. Maybe now DR & the management can concentrate on getting Subaru back to winning ways. I bloody hope so!

Tom206wrc
21st November 2007, 11:56

Give Petter the Focus or the C4 and you'll see him battling for victory (at least in gravel rallies, sure).

At least Bosse used to win rallies and had podiums with the whale :p : unlike Petter in the recent year Impreza :mark:

A.F.F.
21st November 2007, 12:03
Also, they will never admit it but I'm sure the F1 thing at Prodrive was a distraction. Maybe now DR & the management can concentrate on getting Subaru back to winning ways. I bloody hope so!

I agree 100%

pino
21st November 2007, 13:11
Am I right that for you Petter was the best or at least the fastest driver in 2004??? Is there anywhere acces to old discussions from 2004? I could demonstrate that Pino has changed his views like old good rally blonde! :)

I am not sure I said he was the best, probably I've said he was as fast as Loeb and Marcus, but that was in 2004... What's wrong in changing mind about a driver after almost 4 years ? I still think he's 3rd best anyway ;)

koko0703
21st November 2007, 14:38
Petter was as good as Loeb and Macus 2 or 3 seasons ago but now I can't really measure Petter's true speed because the car is just cr*p! Impreza is just nowhere near Focus or C4, and you can't really compare stage time or pt standing or anything. I have the impression that Atkinson has adapted to the current car little better than Petter but I wouldn't say Chris is better than Petter, either. SWRT really needs to step up their development.

Sturla
21st November 2007, 16:14
The only thing that can save Petter`s career is a move to Ford or Citroen... I just can`t understand Petter anymore, he has given Subaru so many chanches... At a point he must set his foot down and make the move, he can`t listen to Subarus promisses anymore...

Corny
21st November 2007, 16:44
The only thing that can save Petter`s career is a move to Ford or Citroen... I just can`t understand Petter anymore, he has given Subaru so many chanches... At a point he must set his foot down and make the move, he can`t listen to Subarus promisses anymore...

+1

leno
21st November 2007, 16:51
Am asking myself what if story turn around and he become winning mashine will people also forget these bad 2 seasons?

Sturla
21st November 2007, 17:50
Subaru will never be the top car again, that I`m sure of. Subaru does not only have one problem, they have to huge problems. Before they can start to smell on the pace of the other cars their car must first finish rallies without problems, when has that happened? Maybe 2-3 times this year, maybe less... After that they must build a car that has the same pace as Ford/ citroen.

I just can`t see that happens with the lack of testing and money that subaru have.

Also Petter`s 2008 season is spoiled before it even starts, the new car comes in the middle of next season.... Just totally hopeless if you ask me...

Brother John
21st November 2007, 19:13
Am asking myself what if story turn around and he become winning mashine will people also forget these bad 2 seasons?

2 seasons? say 4 seasons sinds they going down with the Impreza!

GruppoB
21st November 2007, 19:25
Saying Subaru will never be at the top again is a little rediculous, I know most people including myself doubted if Ford would ever have an amazing car but they do.

I just hope Petter gets some wits about him. Pays out of his contract and moves to Ford.

Josti
21st November 2007, 19:50
2 seasons? say 4 seasons sinds they going down with the Impreza!

I think things got worse since the 2006 spec Impreza came along. Before that, he was still a podium finisher and a potential winner.

I wouldn't wish him to move to Ford or Citroën. I reckon that will probably cause Subaru to fade away even more. I think he´s a true sportsman in staying with the team. Shows how professional he handles the situation. I still have confidence in a good outcome for Petter and Subaru.

leno
21st November 2007, 20:35
I wouldn't wish him to move to Ford or Citroën. I reckon that will probably cause Subaru to fade away even more. I think he´s a true sportsman in staying with the team. Shows how professional he handles the situation. I still have confidence in a good outcome for Petter and Subaru.

i totally agree

Helstar
21st November 2007, 23:30
At least Bosse used to win rallies and had podiums with the whale :p : unlike Petter in the recent year Impreza :mark:
1) There was only the Xsara clearly better than 307 ... moreover Duval was always crashing somewhere so one less ^^
And Impreza was little bit better in 2004 but not reliable, while a bit slower in 2005.

2) Put Marcus in the 2006-2007 Impreza and let me know if he can take a lot of podiums against so many Focus and two works C4. I think not.

gloomyDAY
22nd November 2007, 06:28
I have a lot of faith in Petter, but time is running out.

The clock is ticking for Hollywood. As he ages his chances of getting onto another team diminish along with his idea of winning another championship. There is no possibility that Subaru can pull of another championship run with their head in the clouds over F1.

Petter should look for an alternative, a fresh breath, and turn a new leaf....Ford!

Halvis
22nd November 2007, 09:41
I totally agree with those who says that he should go for another car, I have completely lost faith in Prodrive/Subarus ability to get their act together and give him a good, fast and reliable car. I have read several places that he has a clause in his contract about leaving if they can't provide him with a winning car - this is definitely the time to do so! I still think he has the speed, but for how long can he maintain the needed confidence in himself to be able to be fastest again, as he gets older? Not easy to say, but he surely can't waste another 2-3 years in the Impreza if he's going to be the champion again, I'm afraid!

Finni
22nd November 2007, 09:45
1) There was only the Xsara clearly better than 307 ... moreover Duval was always crashing somewhere so one less ^^

Your mentioning of Dudu in this context is little bit amusing as we all know that Dudu was never threat on gravel - whether staying on road or not.

Brother John
22nd November 2007, 10:37
Always everyone continues talk about the bad season of Duval 2006.
Stohl, Pons and Atkinson have destroyed as many cars this year.
Citroën needed Duval to take points away from Ford, why they did not invest in Stohl? :rolleyes:

Oeps!!! wrong thread I think!!!

leno
22nd November 2007, 22:14
People what do you predict for new subaru impreza 2008? can it be escape for Petter problems?

tmx
22nd November 2007, 22:52
People what do you predict for new subaru impreza 2008? can it be escape for Petter problems?

read from article somewhere they had to compromise a few things in the new car for it's different body design also. i didn't like the sound of that. hopefully with the new shape it will be more flexible and rigid. finally a hatchback design, that will help more with stability. but i think subaru really need an engine revamp to have substantial improvement.

my guess is impreza 2008 will be the new skoda. that they'll retired in it's first rally, and have even a worse season than before. that's how little faith i have now, hope i'm wrong.

FrankenSchwinn
22nd November 2007, 23:50
Saying Subaru will never be at the top again is a little rediculous, I know most people including myself doubted if Ford would ever have an amazing car but they do.

no, they have 2 amazing drivers because both come from Finland, or they have 2 amazing drivers who come from Finland or whatever you want to call it in the end..... son. enjoy your sleepy turkey.

gloomyDAY
23rd November 2007, 00:04
Trouble.

They're barely introducing the hatchback design into the new Impreza and the car won't be fully developed until midseason anyway (NORF, right?). What's the point of starting the season with a flawed car? I think that Petter will do just as poorly or worse than this year. 2009 is probably Subarus best chance at an actual run for the championship.

Then again ProDrive will be distracted by that silly F1 venture.

Norwegian Blue
23rd November 2007, 10:10
Or maybe they won't: http://btccpages.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123139

koko0703
23rd November 2007, 11:46

I'm not optimistic at all. I can't imagine Subaru improve immediately with new car, especially when the car is completely different from any of the previous Subaru's. I almost think the new hatchback is panic reaction to "copy" C4 or Focus. With proper engineering, I don't see any reason that the traditional sedan Impreza can't beat hatchbacks.

leno
23rd November 2007, 17:06
I'm not optimistic at all. I can't imagine Subaru improve immediately with new car, especially when the car is completely different from any of the previous Subaru's. I almost think the new hatchback is panic reaction to "copy" C4 or Focus. With proper engineering, I don't see any reason that the traditional sedan Impreza can't beat hatchbacks.

Ok, but isnt better to start from very start than upgrading bad car?

dimviii
23rd November 2007, 18:24
i don t think that petter has lost his skills
maybe he is not at the same level as 2004 but not slower than Atko.
seems that the main problem is prodrive by 70% and the rest 30% is the ''car""
the ''car'' is under development by prodrive, and receives a lot of money from japan for this development.
last years prodrive seems to have other targets, far away from special stages
maybe prodrive moved best mechanics/engineers to f1?
maybe part of money moved to develop f1 car and ot a proper impreza?
the same years that subaru is not good at rallies are the same years when they tried the f1 scenery.
remember the complains about pirelli?for not beeing fast?
ridiculus!!!
of course all that are just thoughts, but remember the reason that another manufacturer went away from sstages, the hyundai...
for the next impreza i can not see something different...
1st reason is that ford and citroen have been some steps forward in development...like mitsubishi lost the train when stucked with evo 6,5 when other manufacturs run the fresh wrc cars
2nd reason is that they are going to loose next season with the old car for half season.
remember the problems when ford intro the first focus(abandons/McRae retirements) peugeot the problems with the first outing 206 s etc
if everything roll ok for subaru don t wait till early/mid 2009 to see a impreza in podium, a podium with fight to a citroen or ford, and not due to retirements.
its sad because subaru has do a lot for rallying and not deserves this that happens
i would not been impressed if one day open my computer and visiting www.motorsports.com (http://www.motorsports.com) and see that a head from japan subaru decides that ''no more rallies''
japans are well known for their faith to their partners, but for how long?

ps. sorry for my bad english and the long post.

ste898
23rd November 2007, 19:15
I also cannot understand Petter and why he is giving Subaru so many chances and they continue to give him a ball of ****e for each event!!!!!!!
Also he has the 2 most useless teammates in WRC

Simmi
24th November 2007, 13:41
Not to be cynical but im sure the money can't be bad with Subaru. People are right though when they say that he wont be competitive next season either. The existing car is fundamentally flawed and no amount of alterations and B-Specs can solve that. You can't polish a turd as they say.

The new car has to be in the back of Petter's mind but it seems to be getting pushed back and it will probably take a while to get going when it is introduced. He is still quality in my opinion and the WRC really does need Petter, especially with Marcus leaving. Am I right in thinking there will only be 2 world champions left in the sport next year?

On a side note I DID hear that song in Ireland. It creates a nice bit of atmosphere on the stages I think. That and the drunken Norwegian baring his backside to a whole hillside of Irishmen!

Brother John
24th November 2007, 14:28
Am I right in thinking there will only be 2 world champions left in the sport next year?

We will have a new champion in 2008, 2009 and............! :D ;)

Tomi
24th November 2007, 14:38
We will have a new champion in 2008, 2009 and............! :D ;)

let's hope so.

Brother John
26th November 2007, 09:48
Petter testing new car for 2008! :p :

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/WRCKE/kotek.jpg

A.F.F.
26th November 2007, 10:35
Oh man... they still stick to sedan :mad: :p :

leno
26th November 2007, 12:34
They have more possibility to win now :D

Sturla
26th November 2007, 13:17
In his own blogg Petter is confirming that he will drive this year`s race of champions alongside his brother Henning. Looking forward to it :)

cosmicpanda
26th November 2007, 17:52
read from article somewhere they had to compromise a few things in the new car for it's different body design also. i didn't like the sound of that. hopefully with the new shape it will be more flexible and rigid.

sorry?

gloomyDAY
26th November 2007, 18:07
I was just listening to Petter's podcast from Rally Mexico 2007.

Heartbreaking, really, because Petter is discussing a possible run at the championship title. I still remember being on stage 3/6 (El Cubilete) and missing Solberg on the second run. His engine blew on the new evolution of the car!

Hope that doesn't happen once again next year. I wish Petter and Subaru the best of fortunes.

A.F.F.
4th December 2007, 21:05
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2007/12/588154

How was your season Petter?

****ty, said Petter.