PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts about Jari-Matti Latvala.

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 20:55
Boy, has he made some giant leaps to the top in this season ??? I know we shouldn't forget that despite his young age, he has dozens of WRC rallies behind him so it's fair to say he is quite experienced driver already. But still, how much people expected from him at the early season and how he has developed as a driver ??

I'd say surprisingly much and surprisingly fast. First came the pace which is always a good sign. Along came the mistakes where he obviously searched the limits AND had difficulties with his consentration. Now, the latter part of the season has brought glimpses of consistency. And when those two match, voila, the guy is challenging not only Hirvonen and Sordo but Grönholm and Loeb themselves :eek:

The funny thing is to see how he grew up over a meter after achieving that podium from Ireland. It's good to see what kind of boost a good result is for the confidence :)

If it's certain that Jari-Matti is the guy to replace Marcus in Ford, I don't think we have to wait áeons for somebody to challenge Loeb. Latvala and Hirvonen will make a good combination with Ford.

Suddenly the future seems much brighter again..

And where's that Alen jr. is again ;)

Magnus
20th November 2007, 21:00
I totally agree; Latvala shure brings hope for the future. Impressive!

Corny
20th November 2007, 21:04
Latvala's age for getting his first podium: 22
Duval's age for getting his first podium: 22
both in a 1-year old Ford Focus WRC..

you see; a lot things can still go wrong :p

Tomi
20th November 2007, 21:06
Boy, has he made some giant leaps to the top in this season ??? I know we shouldn't forget that despite his young age, he has dozens of WRC rallies behind him so it's fair to say he is quite experienced driver already. But still, how much people expected from him at the early season and how he has developed as a driver ??

I'd say surprisingly much and surprisingly fast. First came the pace which is always a good sign. Along came the mistakes where he obviously searched the limits AND had difficulties with his consentration. Now, the latter part of the season has brought glimpses of consistency. And when those two match, voila, the guy is challenging not only Hirvonen and Sordo but Grönholm and Loeb themselves :eek:

The funny thing is to see how he grew up over a meter after achieving that podium from Ireland. It's good to see what kind of boost a good result is for the confidence :)

If it's certain that Jari-Matti is the guy to replace Marcus in Ford, I don't think we have to wait áeons for somebody to challenge Loeb. Latvala and Hirvonen will make a good combination with Ford.

Suddenly the future seems much brighter again..

And where's that Alen jr. is again ;)

Agree, after 2 years Latvala will be the guy to beat, it's funny how now and then people are worried about the future of Finnish rally, and like you said more is to come, Alen, Hänninen, Nikara and after that others.

Tomi
20th November 2007, 21:08
Latvala's age for getting his first podium: 22
Duval's age for getting his first podium: 22
both in a 1-year old Ford Focus WRC..

you see; a lot things can still go wrong :p

Not in this case, Latvala will not burn bridges whatever happens. Also here he is just 1 among the others, Duval maybe got to belive he is actually that special the Belgian press write.

Maui J.
20th November 2007, 21:21
I totally agree AFF, Latvala has moved up to the top step.
IMO, Malcolm has to put him the works team next year to partner Mikko.

It would be silly to replace Marcus with anyone else, because Latvala would show them up. It could be a big mistake if Jari was still in the Ford B-team, in 2008, and taking points off the Ford A-team.

If the improvement rate keeps going he maybe challenging Mikko for the Number 1 spot in the team before too long!

What? Nikara? Never heard of him? Have you Finns got some sort of Race/Rally Robot Factory that keeps turning out top level drivers. Amazing driving skills but they need to fix the robotic voice box, and improve the human emotion level on Raikkonen though!!!

wrx
20th November 2007, 21:36
I have been really impressed with Latvala over the last few rallies. He is starting to show a great turn of speed and I can't wait to see him in Wales! I really want to see him challenging Loeb next year but will it be to soon???

Latvala has certainly set the benchmark for Matthew Wilson. I wonder if Wilson will be able to show this speed in the next year or so?

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 22:24
What? Nikara? Never heard of him? Have you Finns got some sort of Race/Rally Robot Factory that keeps turning out top level drivers. Amazing driving skills but they need to fix the robotic voice box, and improve the human emotion level on Raikkonen though!!!

Nikara is definately one to watch in the future, he drove very well NORF this year and clearly has a talent. But, we must remeber that talent alone isn't enough. That IMO Hänninen has noticed. The move from PWRC to WRC is bit longer that one would see in the first place.

My fear is that Hänninen won't pick the winning ticket in this lottery. :mark:

However, to Alen's entrance we don't have to wait for much longer anymore ;)

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 22:25
Oh, and you should hear how we, the Finn forumers speak. :p :

Tomi
20th November 2007, 22:33
My fear is that Hänninen won't pick the winning ticket in this lottery. :mark:

However, to Alen's entrance we don't have to wait for much longer anymore ;)

Why not Hänninen? I have never seen anybody who can adopt new events better than him, always on the pace with the best locals.

Hopefully we see Alen soon in a proper rally car, Sweden would be nice.

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 22:35
Why not Hänninen? I have never seen anybody who can adopt new events better than him, always on the pace with the best locals.

No particular reason and I hope I'm wrong. It's just those special feelings you know ?? I just can't see the killer in him :mark:

Tomi
20th November 2007, 22:36
I just can't see the killer in him :mark:
Its there wait and see. :)

Josti
20th November 2007, 22:50
Agree, after 2 years Latvala will be the guy to beat, it's funny how now and then people are worried about the future of Finnish rally, and like you said more is to come, Alen, Hänninen, Nikara and after that others.

I'm surprised there was any worrry about this. There will always be Finns in front, that's as good as a fact :)

Halfway the season, I had my doubts about young Latvala, but he really proved more consistency troughout the last few rallies. Combined with his speed, he's defenitly the best option for Ford next year. A place that he will undoubtly take.

I do hope more nationality's come forward in the next few years. But it seems it will happen I guess.

Tomi
20th November 2007, 23:00
I do hope more nationality's come forward in the next few years. But it seems it will happen I guess.

Me too, i belive Wilks, Andersson, Aava might have a good chance, the only problem is that there will not be enough free seats for some time now. Especially Wilks is now driving alot WRC, thats good.

Helstar
21st November 2007, 06:21
Its there wait and see. :)
Agree ! In the snow rallies he was flying totally sideway with the Mitsu, never seen before somebody driving like that with the Lancer (except Gigi of course :> !).

Also, Latvala is going to be the next WRC star. Oh wait he already is ;)

Brother John
21st November 2007, 08:38
My thoughts about Jari-Matti Latvala.

I'm so happy that he is Finnish.
Duval is fast but come from the wrong country.

Josti
21st November 2007, 08:43

You mean the Belgian Motorsport federation didn't support him enough, or is this again a personal opinion?

I see no problem in this.

Brother John
21st November 2007, 08:54
You mean the Belgian Motorsport federation didn't support him enough, or is this again a personal opinion?
I see no problem in this.

I mean it´s hard to find support and a big sponsor, that i know from experience.
What is wrong with a personal opinion?

Josti
21st November 2007, 09:00
Nothing is wrong with that, I didn't say that. I just wanted to know what was wrong with that and your quite right BTW, it's indeed harder to find good sponsors coming from a relative small country. Same thing up here, and a reason why our national motorsport federation started to support a team in the WRC in Group N form at the moment.

Corny
21st November 2007, 09:32

You might be right on this one :p

MikeD
21st November 2007, 09:57
Latvala is clearly starting to grow on me - especially after his excellent tarmac performances this year. He looks more and more like a driver who will be competetive on all surfaces.
Together with Hirvonen they will surely make a good match in the Ford A-team next year. And with everybody on Pirelli, who knows what might happen.

I have a feeling that Hirvonen, Latvala and Sordo all will win a championship in the future ... but depending somewhat on how long Loeb will keep on rallying.

Tomi
21st November 2007, 10:21
I have a feeling that Hirvonen, Latvala and Sordo all will win a championship in the future ... but depending somewhat on how long Loeb will keep on rallying.

yes but Hirvonen and Sordo better hurry.

1LM1
21st November 2007, 11:36
At the moment, I can't figure out who will be better between those three (Sordo, Hirvonen and Latvala). Are they capable to raise their their games up to Seb's and Marcus'? My guess is YES from at least 2 of them. And my feeling is that the more likely to achieve that are Sordo and Latvala.

But I am sure Hirvonen will prove me I am wrong. He will keep surprising me again just as he has kept surprising me for 2 years now. Hirvonen is already just behind Marcus and Seb. So maybe he can too.

A.F.F.
21st November 2007, 11:58
One thing I'm mostly satisfied is the fact that both Hirvonen and Latvala are both fast on tarmac. Tarmac has been difficult surface for Finns in the history. Not all of them but to some. Even Marcus had to learn it. These guys seem to be decently fast already :up:

Roy
21st November 2007, 12:17
One thing I'm mostly satisfied is the fact that both Hirvonen and Latvala are both fast on tarmac. Tarmac has been difficult surface for Finns in the history. Not all of them but to some. Even Marcus had to learn it. These guys seem to be decently fast already :up:

That the reason Malcolm look to an option to have rotation drvers. Tarmac driver and gravel, or other driver for Sweden and Finland like Ford all ready did with a substitute for Duval and Kresta in 2003, 04, 05.

Latvala for gravel, Duval for tarmac?

PuddleJumper
21st November 2007, 13:42
I was going to start a thread about Jari-Matti myself, but A.F.F. beat me to it.

I too have been really impressed with Jari-Matti's performance this season, especially during the latter half, and I agree that he is ready to become the number 2 driver in the works Ford team alongside Mikko Hirvonen. I think there were a couple of concerns over his reliability earlier in the year, but he now seems to have found a good level of speed and consistency. That's what he needs to support Mikko as lead driver next year and I hope Mikko can raise his game enough to challenge Sébastien more than a couple of times throughout 2008.

In addition to his ever-improving driving skills, I like Jari-Matti as a person. He's always happy and smiling when the cameras are in front of him. He is very friendly and has a good sense of humour, and I think his presence in 2008 will soften the loss of Marcus retiring.

pino
21st November 2007, 13:45

Hirvonen and Latvala yes, not too sure about Sordo ;)

Brother John
21st November 2007, 13:48
Latvala is clearly starting to grow on me - especially after his excellent tarmac performances this year. He looks more and more like a driver who will be competetive on all surfaces.
Together with Hirvonen they will surely make a good match in the Ford A-team next year. And with everybody on Pirelli, who knows what might happen.

Only team orders can stop this guys! ;)

Tomi
21st November 2007, 15:27
Hirvonen and Latvala yes, not too sure about Sordo ;)

Yes, maybe you are right, before this season there was much talk about how he will improve his driving on the loose, has he? I dont think he has much.

1LM1
21st November 2007, 15:40
Yes, maybe you are right, before this season there was much talk about how he will improve his driving on the loose, has he? I dont think he has much.

I think he does have improved on gravel. Look at Japan. He achieved very good times in some stages.

Let's see how he will cope with rally GB. I don't expect him to be as fast as Latvala and Hirvonen but if he manages to finish just behind them, that would mean he has improved a lot considering Hirvonen and Latvala should be faster than ever over there.

Isthmus
21st November 2007, 22:28
yes but Hirvonen and Sordo better hurry.

How came? Latvala yes, he is young..just 22years old...but Sordo has just 24years old too!
Latvala is a big promess, for sure...i´m quite surprised for his performance and becoming more and more consistently...great to have such talent competing on the highest level.
But i guess most ppl forget, is that Sordo and Latvala have almost an equal number of WRC disputed, with Latvala beginning some years earlier than Sordo with an WRC, despite being 2 years younger. And Latvala has the chance to be improving without any kind of pressure....Sordo, other hand, had his chance last year(only one with an WRC) and this year, his pointing for a works team. Even so, i guess he had a great performance. Don´t forget he quited 3 rallys because of the C4´s problems(gearbox and engine 2 times), and one of them, he was in podium.

I guess he lacks a lot experience in wet gravel and especially in snow! Latvala is quite the oposite: very fast in all type off gravel/snow....but already in tarmac :up:

All this to say that Latvala is one of(perhaps the most) promess of WRC, but i guess that some opinions to Sordo are unfair :)

Magnus
22nd November 2007, 07:23
I believe that it normally takes shorter time to learn how to drive on tar. Learning how to drive on different gravelsurfaces in a competitive way is more difficult, it seems. Just look at how many tarmac-aces struggles on gravel, not to talk abt snow, in rally after rally. Then we have one BIG exception of course. The reason for this is that there are fewer un-known factors on tar, the sliding that occurs is rather rare, while on gravel, and snow, it´s an endless sliding in one way or the other, even if your try to avid it.
I also think the the surfaces on which you used to go around like a maniac when you where younger, and barely survived, these are surfaces which you really learn to handle instinctively. it is difficult to compete with knowledge and abilities that you collect under such circumstances... This is why drivers from for example Finlad has had the upper hand previously. But now whe have the nice freak of nature from France... :s

Langdale Forest
22nd November 2007, 07:28
Jari-matti Latvala is a future world champion.
He got his first podium this year and he might get his first win at the end of next year.