PDA

View Full Version : Cross posting

Mark
20th November 2007, 15:33
As an experiment I'm trying out a new feature on the forums for a trial period.

When you start a new thread as well as posting it in the forum you are in, you can also choose a secondary forum for the thread to appear under. This could be useful if your topic potentially spans the interest of more than one forum.

I'm hoping that this will be used sensibly as if it is absued then the feature will be restricted to moderators only.

You can only choose a second forum when starting a new thread, however moderators are able to cross post any existing thread, please contact a moderator if you would like this done (or undone!)

AAReagles
20th November 2007, 19:29
As an experiment I'm trying out a new feature on the forums for a trial period....

...I'm hoping that this will be used sensibly as if it is absued then the feature will be restricted to moderators only.

I haven't been here for a bit to observe actions conducted on this forum, good or bad. Therefore, just so I don't accidently violate the policy here, is there any specific examples that you are able to illustrate ?

BTW - I was wondering about this subject since some drivers/teams/situations I refer to once in a while can be related to other forms of racing activities. Anyways, thanks for bring this up.

Additional note: Thanks guys (Mods) for a job well done (as always) in maintaining this forum. :up: :)

Mark
21st November 2007, 07:31
I don't mind really as long as it does have a connection to both the forums you are posting in.

Daniel
21st November 2007, 08:21
I don't mind really as long as it does have a connection to both the forums you are posting in.
So say if Lewis Hamilton was doing an interview on Jonathan Ross on Friday night on BBC 2 would that be a good cross post?

Mark
21st November 2007, 08:22
So say if Lewis Hamilton was doing an interview on Jonathan Ross on Friday night on BBC 2 would that be a good cross post?

Cross post to where? That would just be F1 right?

Daniel
21st November 2007, 12:23
Chit chat. A lot of F1 fans wouldn't want to look in the F1 forum :p

inimitablestoo
21st November 2007, 20:13
I thought cross posting was when someone wrote ENTIRELY IN CAPITALS LIKE THIS :p :

martinbalmer
22nd November 2007, 09:08
I thought cross posting was when someone wrote ENTIRELY IN CAPITALS LIKE THIS :p :

Or, similar to cross dressing, writing like a member of the opposite sex.. :p :

leopard
3rd December 2007, 08:28
How about threads already posted before this notice, Who made the cross, It's the thread starter, Mods, or Mods upon the request?

leopard
3rd December 2007, 08:47
Oh my post above because I am not quite diligent to observe back tiredly to threads started long time (a month or so) before. I tend to read posts from now onwards.

Sorry for my ignorance :( :)

Mark
3rd December 2007, 08:59
No problems :) . If a thread is already started then a moderator can cross post it (or uncrosspost it!)

leopard
3rd December 2007, 10:05
I guess so, it doesn't seem those isn't around made the request :) :D

Jonesi
19th December 2007, 08:19
So far all I've seen are off topic cross posts. 'War on Christmas' from chit chat cross posted to Nascar, 'MWR hiring' from Nascar cross posted to IRL, and another I don't recall off hand. I can see the reason for some cross posts, like Scott Sharp's move should be in IRL and Sports cars. Is there some way to set up the cross post feature so it waits for moderator approval?

Another problem is nothing shows it's a cross posted message, so someone makes a comment from the off topic cross posted forum like "why is this here?", then some else responds from the on topic forum "What do you mean this is news." not realizing the msg is from a different forum.

pino
19th December 2007, 11:38
As Mark said this is just an experiment, he might add some modification, or even remove it ;)

Jonesi
19th December 2007, 20:03
As Mark said this is just an experiment, he might add some modification, or even remove it ;)

Of course, but experiments aren't useful without feedback or suggestions.