PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

Powered by Cosworth
16th November 2007, 12:33
iPhone.

Daniel
16th November 2007, 12:36
iPhone.
If we went by that logic my N95 would be my best purchase (it's widely agreed to be better than an iPhone) but it isn't.....

My best purchase was a one way ticket to the UK :)

Powered by Cosworth
16th November 2007, 13:24
If we went by that logic my N95 would be my best purchase (it's widely agreed to be better than an iPhone) but it isn't.....

eurgh the amount of times i've posted this on different forums :p

The way you have to look at the iPhone is compare it to the iPod Touch. For the same price as the 16gb touch, you can get an 8gb Touch with phone, email, internet anywhere (allbeit edge :( ), speaker, mic, camera. Which to me, seems like a bargain.

Daniel
16th November 2007, 13:51
eurgh the amount of times i've posted this on different forums :p

The way you have to look at the iPhone is compare it to the iPod Touch. For the same price as the 16gb touch, you can get an 8gb Touch with phone, email, internet anywhere (allbeit edge :( ), speaker, mic, camera. Which to me, seems like a bargain.
So to make the iPhone look better you have to compare it to something else which is also overpriced and underspecced? :mark:

GridGirl
16th November 2007, 18:21
Someone I work with has a Iphone. She's taking it back tomorrow, says its rubbish. You cant hear anyone when your calling them unless you have it on speaker phone. :s

Can't say I have one best ever purchase but the best ones are when I've gone to buy stuff which had been coded up wrong and I've got them highly discounted. I once got a £180 dress for £1 because the woman serving me couldn't be bothered to sort it out as the shop was shutting. :D

Daniel
16th November 2007, 20:03
Someone I work with has a Iphone. She's taking it back tomorrow, says its rubbish. You cant hear anyone when your calling them unless you have it on speaker phone. :s

Heretic!!!!! How dare you! How dare you speak ill of the "Jesus" phone!

Mark
20th November 2007, 08:42
Thread split

Seems that Apple are releasing a new iPhone next may which will finally have 3G. Hard luck to all you early adopters ;)

Just looking at the cost on the O2 website of the current model. £269 purchase price, then £35 per month for 18 months. That comes in at £899 for the contract period :mark: . Keep in mind that if you go for that you won't be out of contract until May 2009. They also screw you bigtime on the airtime deal, with the iPhone you get 200 minutes for your £35 per month. The same £35 together with an N95 will get you 600 minutes.

By comparison somethink like the HTC TyTN II which is also touch screen but has a keyboard, GPS, 3G, is £450 over a 12 month contract period.

Dave B
20th November 2007, 10:31
That's the usual Apple business model these days: release a lovely looking but flawed product to hook in the early adoptors / mugs, then a few months later either cut the price or address the flaws.

I've still got serious reservations about any consumer product with a built-in non-user-replacable battery, let alone the poor features of the iPhone such as lack of MMS, 3G, and full Bluetooth.

Oh, and if any other company said you could only download their ringtones, there'd be outrage.

The iPhone is a beautiful product, but not exactly at the cutting edge of phone or music player technology. And the O2 tarrif to which it is (theoretically) locked is awful awful value, free internet or not.

It's the BMW X3 of the mobile phone world. Jack of all trades, master of absolutely none.

Daniel
20th November 2007, 12:41
Thread split

Seems that Apple are releasing a new iPhone next may which will finally have 3G. Hard luck to all you early adopters ;)

Just looking at the cost on the O2 website of the current model. £269 purchase price, then £35 per month for 18 months. That comes in at £899 for the contract period :mark: . Keep in mind that if you go for that you won't be out of contract until May 2009. They also screw you bigtime on the airtime deal, with the iPhone you get 200 minutes for your £35 per month. The same £35 together with an N95 will get you 600 minutes.

By comparison somethink like the HTC TyTN II which is also touch screen but has a keyboard, GPS, 3G, is £450 over a 12 month contract period.
Burn him! Heretic! Speak ill of the jesus phone and you shall pay! :angryfire

I'd like to go further upon Dave's analogy. It's like an X3 with an inbuilt waffle iron and a 50" plasma TV instead of a rear window so the people behind you can watch DVD's while they're driving. Jack of all trades master of none and wtf do I need some of the features for? We used to have a 15" tv and that was small and useless! Why do I want an even smaller handheld video player? :mark: I have a G4 iPod and it plays music and plugs into my car stereo. Good stuff. But why add useless features like being able to show photos or watch video? :mark:

Sadly people with too much money and not enough sense will make the iPhone a success. Apple release a half featured phone and get praised for it yet Microsoft release a good operating system and get poo pooed for it. They'll lap up an iPhone v2 with glee though.

janneppi
20th November 2007, 12:51
Why do I want an even smaller handheld video player? :mark: I have a G4 iPod and it plays music and plugs into my car stereo. Good stuff. But why add useless features like being able to show photos or watch video? :mark:

Don't you have a Nokia N95, an overpriced phone that has a crappy camera, halfhearted mp3-player, small screen to watch photos and video? Infact apart from the lack 3G the only things N95 excels the Iphone are which one has wobblier construction, poorer battery life and butt uglier apperance. ;)

Daniel
20th November 2007, 12:57
Don't you have a Nokia N95, an overpriced phone that has a crappy camera, halfhearted mp3-player, small screen to watch photos and video? Infact apart from the lack 3G the only things N95 excels the Iphone are which one has wobblier construction, poorer battery life and butt uglier apperance. ;)
My N95 is a lot cheaper, MP3 player is OK and it works very well with my wireless connection.

Does everything I want it to do well. I have a proper camera at home so the crap camera (and it is CRAP!!!!!) doesn't bother me ;)

It even crashes a couple of times a week like all good Symbian smartphones should :up:

DonJippo
20th November 2007, 13:05
It even crashes a couple of times a week like all good Symbian smartphones should :up:

Hear!Hear! :D

pino
20th November 2007, 13:10
I love my Sony Ericsson :p :

Mark
20th November 2007, 13:10
"I love my brick" - Father Jack :D

Daniel
20th November 2007, 13:14
Hear!Hear! :D
Rule 1 of making phones. Never make a phone that's so good that the person will not want to buy another one ;)

Am I right or am I right? ;)

Daniel
20th November 2007, 13:14
Does your wife know about this? :p

pino
20th November 2007, 13:15
Does your wife know about this? :p

She gave it to me :p :

Daniel
20th November 2007, 13:22
She gave it to me :p :
Says it all :p

Tomi
20th November 2007, 13:27
have you figured out how to call with it already? :)

DonJippo
20th November 2007, 13:28
Rule 1 of making phones. Never make a phone that's so good that the person will not want to buy another one ;)

Am I right or am I right? ;)

Surprisingly you are right :p

Daniel
20th November 2007, 13:51
Surprisingly you are right :p
What can I say? I learnt from the best ;)

millencolin
20th November 2007, 14:04

As Do I! the amount of times ive dropped my sony ericsson is unbelieveable, and its still in tact and fully working!

A Good reliable phone with some half decent features at an affordable price ($189 outright)... its perfect! You can keep your fancy iphones and n65 or whatever they are :p :

Mark
20th November 2007, 17:16
I thought all this business of only allowing one operator was illegal under EU competition law? I remember a case a few years back where Levi tried to stop Tesco from selling its jeans. It lost because they could not restrict trade in that way.

Daniel
20th November 2007, 18:02
I thought all this business of only allowing one operator was illegal under EU competition law? I remember a case a few years back where Levi tried to stop Tesco from selling its jeans. It lost because they could not restrict trade in that way.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/20/vodafone_iphone_injunction/

CCFanatic
20th November 2007, 21:43
IPhone, biggest waste of my money. Is it fun to use? Yes! Is it practical? Yes! Is it cool? No in a million years. It is great all around, but it does much more than I needed it for. I own an ipod already, so that feature was not needed. I owned a phone with a camera, so I didn't need those. So what if I had to carry both the ipod and phone, I would have saved about 50 dollars a month. Spend about 10 dollars month on new music, and about 20 for the cell phone bill. Instead I spent 500 for the phone, whereas my old one was free, and spend 55 dollars a month for the bill.

Dave B
13th December 2007, 12:21
I had a good play with an iPhone today - partly thanks to disinterested store staff who didn't bother approaching me even though it was 10am and I was the only customer!

I cannot say I'm impressed. It looks the part, and the first time you whizz through the menus it's quite fun. Text entry is less awful than I thought it would be on a touch screen, although the lack of tactile feedback is highly annoying. But try using it with one hand, as you would in real life and suddenly it turns from a quirky interface to a massive pain in the arse.

'Tis cute, though...

Mark
13th December 2007, 12:36
I've just got an HTC TyTN II, pisses on the iPhone :p

odykas
15th December 2007, 02:10
iPhoney

BobbyC
19th December 2007, 21:10
Long-time Nokia user (since 2000); Waiting for Nokia's next generation before switching phones.

P. S. The iPhone has been offered as a One Bid item on The Price Is Right. A few times, Series 36 host Drew Carey has commented someone must have been to the AT&T store near CBS Television City (where many game shows, not just CBS shows, are filmed) and priced one; the show has contestants bid for two iPhones, and one hit the bell with one.

Not much of an iPhone fan either.

DISCLAIMER: BobbyC is an ADR holder in Nokia.

SpeedRules
27th December 2007, 18:11
anyone here heard about that Verizon version of the i-phone.

Valve Bounce
29th December 2007, 22:15

My best purchase was a one way ticket to the UK :)

I think there's a phone with an inbuilt TV now on which you can watch test cricket live.