PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Grönholm

Corny
19th November 2007, 21:04
IMO there is too much talking about the championship, don't we all see this will probably be the last rally of one of rallying's greatest names?
Thankyou Marcus, and good luck in your further life ;) (aii, going to miss that stage comments :D )
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9994/grnholm21qq7.jpg
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9498/finland36fs3.jpg

Tomi
19th November 2007, 22:37
http://img36.picoodle.com/img/img36/5/11/19/t_BOSSEm_fe5efda.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/5/11/19/f_BOSSEm_fe5efda.jpg&srv=img36)

its a long way to worksdriver.

jonas_mcrae
19th November 2007, 22:59
We are all going to miss him cant get enough of those comments "at least is a convertible" or "it went into Timos ass!"

MrJan
19th November 2007, 23:24
Cool bloke. I remember at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2000 (think it was, the first year he won the title and was reletively unknown). I'd arrived really early to beat the rush and at the rally car bit no-one was about, except Marcus and two people who were with him. Not realising the potential he had and not knowing what to say I didn't go up to him. It's not event I regret because I had no idea of what I could say (and still can't think of anything) but it would have been nice to have had a conversation with the big man.

He will be missed in the WRC and lets hope we get more characters soon. I don't think I could face a future of Sordos and Pons', it's Solbergs, McRaes, Auriols and Gronholms that put life into rallying.

AndyRAC
19th November 2007, 23:47
It will be sad, he's the last of the old guard.

Magnus
20th November 2007, 08:19
Hope you´will have to change your signature corny! it ain´t over...but bearing in mind Loebs odd abilities i guess you are right.
Nice pic Timo! :)
We will miss him very much of course, but it was a nice surprise that he will do a few rallies next seson. hope it just wasn´t air. Wonder which they might be?

bowler
20th November 2007, 08:41
It will be sad, he's the last of the old guard.

There's always a "last of the old guard" if you are around long enough.

I consider Marcus the first of the new brigade, and like you I will miss him.

Corny
20th November 2007, 09:32

I consider him as the last driver of the 'McRae generation', as I like to call it

Brother John
20th November 2007, 09:36
It seems here, however, a burial or farewell of Grönholm and he is still around. :eek:
It must be party and celebration because he goes on retire.
Of cource we will mis him on the rallies but there will be doors open for others. :up:

AndyRAC
20th November 2007, 10:01

What I meant was, as he only got a proper works drive in 1999 with Peugeot, he'd been around a long time before that driving Toyotas. I class him with the McRae, Makinen, Sainz, Auriol, Kankkunen, etc generation.

Magnus
20th November 2007, 10:06
Yep: Marcus is the first of the new brigade. Guess when hirvo quits here will be a lot of talk abt him as being around in the good old days when Bosse was around...and so on. We like to think in this way, and why should´nt we?
I was going to buy myself a finnish flag if bosse won the championship this year. Looks as I can put the money on something else now...

Tomi
20th November 2007, 10:08
It seems here, however, a burial or farewell of Grönholm and he is still around. :eek:
It must be party and celebration because he goes on retire.
Of cource we will mis him on the rallies but there will be doors open for others. :up:

Agree, the good thing also is that Latvala gets a good car right from start of works carreer.

WRCfan
20th November 2007, 10:51
As it was Gronholm's last year i made a special trip to the New Zealand round and the Japan round. I have tried for ages to get a photo with the guy himself so this year in Japan I managed to get one.

He will be sorely missed however all drivers come and must retire at some stage. I have a feeling it will not be the last we see of Marcus in WRC circles, it is just we will probably not see him behind the wheel again unless he does a one off in Finland. He has given us all MANY good memories and funny quotes to laugh at so he will be talked about for many many years to come!

Josti
20th November 2007, 11:13
He will be sorely missed however all drivers come and must retire at some stage. I have a feeling it will not be the last we see of Marcus in WRC circles, it is just we will probably not see him behind the wheel again unless he does a one off in Finland. He has given us all MANY good memories and funny quotes to laugh at so he will be talked about for many many years to come!

I wouldn't be surprised if he's competing NORF next year, though I would understand if he want's to experience it as a spectator this time.

Only then his Ireland off, there's nothing negative to say about this guy. A great miss for the WRC in the coming years.

Brother John
20th November 2007, 11:46
I wouldn't be surprised if he's competing NORF next year, though I would understand if he want's to experience it as a spectator this time.

Only then his Ireland off, there's nothing negative to say about this guy. A great miss for the WRC in the coming years.

His Ireland off has nothing to do with driving, he had the wrong tyres, that´s all.

Frozzy
20th November 2007, 14:23
i wouldn't say that Gronholm putting his boots up for good i'll bet he'll either do the odd wrc event or even some national rally back in Finland

MrJan
20th November 2007, 21:04
I thought the same with Tommi though but haven't seen him much.

Gronholm is definately old generation, I reckon Seb is first of the new breed.

Josti
20th November 2007, 23:05
His Ireland off has nothing to do with driving, he had the wrong tyres, that´s all.

True, I'm just bummed about it :dozey:

xavier
21st November 2007, 02:11

You mean if a driver pick the wrong tires he should not be blame for an off? that's ridiculous!

Zico
21st November 2007, 03:11
You mean if a driver pick the wrong tires he should not be blame for an off? that's ridiculous!

No, read his post again... he didnt say it wasnt his fault.. just that it wasnt because of his driving. Certainly not a ridiculous statement.

pino
21st November 2007, 06:16
I will miss Marcus almost as much as I miss Gigi :( ;)

A.F.F.
21st November 2007, 07:48
I will miss Marcus almost as much as I miss Gigi :( ;)

And I almost as much as I miss Paasonen. :)

Helstar
21st November 2007, 20:46
And I almost as much as I miss Paasonen. :)
Who :p ?

Magnus
28th November 2007, 11:42
babelfish:
Marcus Grönholm announced yesterday at the time of an interview that even with the retirement, Finnish will continue to take part at the time of the season 2008 in some rallys. In 2008 indeed, according to its statements, it could return on Ford divided with Jari-Matti Latvala, at Stobart without any doubt - teams of the X-ray WRC. "Nothing is decided and for the moment, I am right concentrate on what we have to do all the remainder of the season", Gronholm declared. "When it acts of the Rally Assembles-Carlo, I would be with with dimensions roads, I would look at them passing and I would not have that has to laugh when they have evil to choose their tires..." Jubile Finnish "But for the rally of Finland, will be more interesting there" Without anything to have really specified, Gronholm - fellow-member of Mikko Hirvonen on Ford - admitted the fact that Malcolm Wilson, owner of his team, "could obtain to him a car of time in time" after its retirement. "I intended to say according to Malcolm [ Wilson ] that Marcus [ Gronholm ] could return for some rallys the next season", declared Hirvonen. Concerning the speculations on the substitute of Gronholm in 2008 at Ford, Hirvonen remains indifferent: "If Marcus leaves, that imports which will be my fellow-member..." it Concluded.
From http://www.fou2sportauto.com/article.php?lire_news=4248

Magnus
28th November 2007, 11:44
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63245
One-offs do seem possible?

Simmi
28th November 2007, 13:42
I can see him getting itchy feet in January when the Monte comes along. He wouldn't be ring rusty for Sweden and he is still the man on that event. It's not like a Makinen scenario where he is fading out as he is arguably at the top of his game.

What would be interesting is whether he would drop behind Mikko if the pair were one-two? A part-time drive is surely a 'team role' and Mikko is surely going after Loeb next year...

Viking
29th November 2007, 09:17
Grönholm-Mikkelsen-Jones?

From Evening Post:

There could well be a big announcement come the WRGB when Gareth Jones is rumoured to be linked to a new team for next year with Marcus Gronholm.

Gronholm has admitted the rumours are true about a team and he has been in talks with Andreas Mikkelson, who also drives a Focus WRC and shares the same preparation team as Jones. There could be as many as six rounds of the WRC next year starting with Sweden in February.

Magnus
29th November 2007, 10:03
But Bosse more looks like a teamboss in that context.

Gard
29th November 2007, 11:56

From Evening Post:

There could well be a big announcement come the WRGB when Gareth Jones is rumoured to be linked to a new team for next year with Marcus Gronholm.

Gronholm has admitted the rumours are true about a team and he has been in talks with Andreas Mikkelson, who also drives a Focus WRC and shares the same preparation team as Jones. There could be as many as six rounds of the WRC next year starting with Sweden in February.

So that's why Mikkelsen spent a full day with Bosse in his car testing.

Buzz Lightyear
29th November 2007, 13:00
It depends what Mikkelson wants as a team mate.. Maybe...Marcus will do a few rounds with Mikelson in a customer team? Jones on his recent performances lacks true pace. Mikkelson has nothing to learn from Jones, maybe he just pays for the rounds Marcus does not want to do.

Priorat
29th November 2007, 13:01

From Evening Post:

But, hadn't Mikkelsen already a programm of 10 rounds?

Roy
3rd December 2007, 11:33

From Evening Post:

Offcourse nonsense.

About Garteth Jones, can someone told me shortly who Gareth Jones is?
What is his age,
goal for WRC,
what national result he got,
what does he before or besides rallying, etc.?

Thnx!