PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest crash?

306 Cosworth
19th November 2007, 15:27
Has anyone had a big crash or any crashes on the road or on the race track. I've only been driving since June, but i've already had 1 crash, was when I was racing round some lanes in the middle of the night pissing down with rain, wentto fast into a tight left hander, which tightened again, understeered locked up slid across road and into a brick wall :s Thankfully the impack wasn't too bad, but I now have a massive dent in my near side front wing and a few scratches, it deffinetly needs a new front wing but aven't got the money to replace it :(

Mark
19th November 2007, 16:52
I hope that you informed the owner of the wall and/or the police otherwise you could be in some serious bother.

Erki
19th November 2007, 18:27
Come on, it's a brick wall. :p

My biggest crash was a few months ago when I was in an underground parking space and I reversed too much and my tow hook hit the other car's number plate. Sounded scary though. :p

MrJan
19th November 2007, 18:46
Not had an accident in the 3 years I've been driving. The car does have a dent in the rear offside but that was because an artic lorry hit my brother (was his car before). Can't really remember a moment when I've felt that I've even been close to an accident :D

Was in the car once when my Dad had a crash though. A reliant Robin pulled across the road in front of us without looking and because it was wet and we were doing 40 or 50 we went straight through him, crashed through a sign and ended up in a hedge. I was only young but started crying and said "Dad what did you do that for?". I was quite gutted because we were on the way to a hillclimb AND I left my sweets in the carf, never did see them again.

Anyway the bloke in the other car had 6 broken ribs and was in a pretty bad way but think he survived. I on the other hand missed the hillclimb but did get to play with my Scaletric in the afternoon. My Dad wasn't so happy though as had whiplash and needed a new car, to make matters worse it was his birthday :D

GridGirl
19th November 2007, 19:28
Is racing around five months after passing your test the best thing to be doing? :rolleyes: I've seen it all too often with my brothers idiot mates. There are the ones who end up crashing and then can't afford the repairs. I've seen loads of his mate's cars in various states of disrepair. They have to get the bus now and probably annoy their neighbours with the pieces of scrap on their drive ways. That or you'll end up with 6 points before your two year probabtion period is up and again you'll end up catching the bus. It's not big or clever, I'm sure you'd dont want to or need to join such an elite group of morons. :p

I've not had any big accidents, all mine have been low impacts in car parks and the likes.

CCFanatic
19th November 2007, 21:13
Flip a Formula Mazda car at Road America in the same spot Kat Legge rolled. Did not tear the car, like she did, but riped the front wheels off and front and bakc wings.

Drew
19th November 2007, 21:27
I misjudged it and drove into a concrete pillar in a multi storey car park in Plymouth. I was driving my mum's car, with my mum in it :\

Luckily, that's it :)

Brown, Jon Brow
19th November 2007, 22:48
My biggest crash was when I crashed into a pheasant at 60mph. The pheasant was obliterated into feather confetti, the car got a broken foglight :mad:

MrJan
19th November 2007, 23:09
I hit a pheasant on the way back from Thruxton the other week. Like the t**t that I am though I ducked as it hit the windscreen. I was quite proud of myself that I just braked and didn't swerve but at the same time disappointed that I didn't go back to get it because it only hit the widscreen and landed at the side of the road so I reckon it would have been in alright shape for eating. The only mark on the car was a few places where the thing had taken some of the dust off.

CCFanatic
19th November 2007, 23:27
My biggest crash was when I crashed into a pheasant at 60mph. The pheasant was obliterated into feather confetti, the car got a broken foglight :mad:

You are lucky is wasn't a white tail deer.

I smacked into one of these a week after getting my license just at the start of hunting season for these critters.

Drew
20th November 2007, 00:59
I hit a pheasant on the way back from Thruxton the other week. Like the t**t that I am though I ducked as it hit the windscreen. I was quite proud of myself that I just braked and didn't swerve but at the same time disappointed that I didn't go back to get it because it only hit the widscreen and landed at the side of the road so I reckon it would have been in alright shape for eating. The only mark on the car was a few places where the thing had taken some of the dust off.

Is it true that that is illegal here? That you can only pick up somebody else's roadkill and not your own?

J4MIE
20th November 2007, 01:38
Not crashed yet :up:

Agree with Grid Girl though 306, does sound a bit stoopid. I bet you were panicking too much to get off the brakes. It's the main reason that I cannot afford to insure a car :mad:

As my dad's always said, if you can't afford to crash it, you can't afford to go rallying :)

Mark
20th November 2007, 07:53
Come on, it's a brick wall. :p

So you would like it if someone crashed into your wall and buggered off without a word, leaving you to foot the bill to fix it?

I've had a few prangs nothing more. Due to a moments inattention I ran into the back of Daz (ertswhile of this forum) at about 5mph. And had someone do the same to me in Tesco's car park. The difference was that I admitted liability and didn't come up with a pack of lies about the other driver reversing ;)

Daniel
20th November 2007, 12:53
I've had three incidents. First was in my 131. Lockup on a greasy road after a little bit of rain after a long period of dry weather. Went into the back of the other car very slowly. No damage to the other car really and a fair bit of damage to my car. Next was a woman pulling out at a junction and then braking and I tapped the back of her car. Next one was a bit bigger. Was driving along and got distracted by something and looked forward and the cars in front were braking and I braked and went into the back of a stationary car which then went into the car in front. Middle car was written off. My car had some dented panels and a broken fan blade. Replaced the fan for about £6 and replaced the panels for free. Cheapest accident ever!

I don't see why people "race" down lanes. It's extremely dangerous and stupid.

Allyc85
20th November 2007, 16:47
reversed into the car accross the road from me! Didnt make a dent on their car but destroyed on of the rear lights on my nova!!

GridGirl
20th November 2007, 17:55
I can do better Astroracer. I once reversed off my drive at the same time as the person who lives opposite me and we ended up crashing in the middle of the road. Doh!

306 Cosworth
20th November 2007, 18:17
I was only having a bit of fun coz you only live once! Not as if my car is mega nice anyway its just a car! Only trying to have a bit of fun whilst i can! And no I didn't inform the police of owner of the wall as 1. The wall wasn't damaged just abit of red paint left on it and 2. The police have far better things to do than worry about me hitting a wall!

GridGirl
20th November 2007, 18:31
This might seen daft, but how long do you think you'll live if you drive round like what sounds to be a bit of a prat? The novelty of fun will soon wear off when you end up having a more serious accident. My other half hit a wall once... it hurt.

Magnus
20th November 2007, 18:43
I know off this other guy outside Sligo who hit a wall aswell :(

Hazell B
20th November 2007, 19:07
As a passenger when I was 13 I went through a car windscreen and got really badly hurt.

Over 200 stitches in the face, two years of plastic surgery, damaged lungs and kidneys (the glass in those days would turn almost to dust in crashes and clog up your insides), damaged left eye, massive blood loss and a charmingly timed stopped heart just as the doctors arrived at my side. My father caused it, but being the utter s*** he was he first left me in the car, then wouldn't call an ambulance as he didn't want to be blamed and finally didn't claim on the insurance as it would have increased his premiums. Hence I gained no payout and lots of lovely scars.

No, 306 Cosworth, it is never just a bit of fun.
It's pain beyond anything you've felt before - especially if you happened to kill or hurt somebody else :mark:

Magnus
20th November 2007, 19:16
****! seems that your realtion is/was somewhat flawed... :s
Glad you survived though!

Easy Drifter
20th November 2007, 19:23
Coming from a race in Gimli, Manitoba to Toronto in the middle of the night hauling a race car. I wasn't driving but sitting in the front seat of a Ford 3/4 ton van. A couple of very drunk Indians missed the turn into the bootleggers and hung a hooker (U turn) right in front of us. T boned them and the trailer tongue went through the gas tank. Sparks everywhere but the tank had been filled about 20 miles before so no fire. Just as well. We had trouble getting the doors open. Van and their car were write offs. Front of the trailer where our box of nuts and bolts were took a beating but race car ok. Probably lost $2000 in hardware all over the highway. This was in the early 70's
Cops confirmed the bootleggers driveway was about 100 yards back.

Drew
20th November 2007, 19:28
Alot of the time the only way to learn a lesson is to make a mistake to learn from it.

I don't know if this is the case for everybody else, but when I drive a faster car, I actually drive slower. I used to drive a 1.0l car and I ragged it alot, now I drive a 1.4l and am calmer and whenever I drive my mum's 1.6l I don't drive so fast. Is it just me?

GridGirl
20th November 2007, 19:38
Theres making mistakes driving, which every one does and then driving like a moron for no logical reason at all. :p

Drew your theory could be right, well that or you realise how much more fuel a bigger engined car uses and come to the conclusion that its not really worth it. :p

Erki
20th November 2007, 19:47
So you would like it if someone crashed into your wall and buggered off without a word, leaving you to foot the bill to fix it?

Yes, if the wall wasn't damaged.

Erki
20th November 2007, 19:51
Alot of the time the only way to learn a lesson is to make a mistake to learn from it.

I don't know if this is the case for everybody else, but when I drive a faster car, I actually drive slower. I used to drive a 1.0l car and I ragged it alot, now I drive a 1.4l and am calmer and whenever I drive my mum's 1.6l I don't drive so fast. Is it just me?

Where does that leave me, who has only ever after getting my license, driven a 1.8 litre car? :s mokin:

MrJan
20th November 2007, 20:11
Is it true that that is illegal here? That you can only pick up somebody else's roadkill and not your own?

I think so but then it could be one of those myths that Stephen Fry always catches you out with :D I think it might be that you can't go hunting with a car, so to speak.

I don't see why people "race" down lanes. It's extremely dangerous and stupid.

Any more stupid than not paying attention and crashing into a stationary car? :p : There is definately a middle ground when driving quickly but there are plenty of people that drive quickly in lanes and don't crash. Sounds like in your case you were driving too close, something which causes more problems than head ons in country lanes. A trip down a motorway on a weekend will show you that people in this country drive far too close to each other, that's why people have to brake on the motorway and end up having accidents. Unless the weather is bad or there is a mechanical failure people shouldn't really crash on the motorway. Now you tell me that doing 40 on an empty lane when I can see quite far in front of me is as dangerous as doing 85 on a motorway a cars length behind someone.

Daniel
20th November 2007, 21:56
Any more stupid than not paying attention and crashing into a stationary car? :p : There is definately a middle ground when driving quickly but there are plenty of people that drive quickly in lanes and don't crash. Sounds like in your case you were driving too close, something which causes more problems than head ons in country lanes. A trip down a motorway on a weekend will show you that people in this country drive far too close to each other, that's why people have to brake on the motorway and end up having accidents. Unless the weather is bad or there is a mechanical failure people shouldn't really crash on the motorway. Now you tell me that doing 40 on an empty lane when I can see quite far in front of me is as dangerous as doing 85 on a motorway a cars length behind someone.

The car was moving just a few moments before though. The car in front braked suddenly and although I was following a safe distance behind that mattered little when my reaction time was so slow because I hadn't seen the cars stopping..... At the end of the day it was quite a minor accident and the other car was only written off because it hit two fairly solid cars. It was a moments mistake and it's changed the way I drive for good. If you're going to drive too fast for the conditions on purpose a lane is not the place to do it as there are usually other cars and things to hit which isn't good.

I usually drive to and from work 10 miles on the dual carriageway at 70+ without having to brake other than if there is an accident or heavy traffic. I usually leave about twice the old 2 second gap between me and other cars because the cars tailgating are forever on their brakes.

Doing 40 or 50 in a lane with blind corners is stupid especially when you can't see what's coming. Are you talking a wide open lane or something tight, twisty and blind?

MrJan
20th November 2007, 22:09
I usually drive to and from work 10 miles on the dual carriageway at 70+ without having to brake other than . I usually leave about twice the old 2 second gap between me and other cars because the cars tailgating are forever on their brakes.

Doing 40 or 50 in a lane with blind corners is stupid especially when you can't see what's coming.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you always drive too close all the time just that it is a problem and to point out that it is lapses in concentration that cause more incidents than speed, no matter what the circumstances.

As for country lanes if you do it at night then you can see the lights coming. Obviously you still have to be tentative at corners and be aware that you may have to hit the brakes, the point that you can really open it up though is the straights. There is one spot near me where there is a straight that you can put your foot down through some slight kinks and brake to a reasonable speed for the corner at the end and it is great fun.

Thankfully I will be able to get my speed fix on the track now and I'm hoping that I calm down as a driver. I'm not some crazed lunatic behind the wheel but have to admit that there is a risk to driving at speed.

Going back to the leaving space subject, has anyone else noticed that when they have those "leave two chevrons" bits on motorways the traffic is generally quite good? Only when some nob pulls in front of you does it create a problem. I'ma keen believer in the philosophy that if people didn't brake so often there wouldn't be as much traffic because as soon as people see brake lights they bung on the anchors so the person behind brakes and everyone gets slower and slower until someone has to stop and you have a jam.

Daniel
20th November 2007, 23:45
This might seen daft, but how long do you think you'll live if you drive round like what sounds to be a bit of a prat? The novelty of fun will soon wear off when you end up having a more serious accident. My other half hit a wall once... it hurt.
I remember getting a text message about that all those years ago. Quite a scary accident and not one you want to have in a "tub" :mark:

Daniel
20th November 2007, 23:51
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you always drive too close all the time just that it is a problem and to point out that it is lapses in concentration that cause more incidents than speed, no matter what the circumstances.

As for country lanes if you do it at night then you can see the lights coming. Obviously you still have to be tentative at corners and be aware that you may have to hit the brakes, the point that you can really open it up though is the straights. There is one spot near me where there is a straight that you can put your foot down through some slight kinks and brake to a reasonable speed for the corner at the end and it is great fun.

Thankfully I will be able to get my speed fix on the track now and I'm hoping that I calm down as a driver. I'm not some crazed lunatic behind the wheel but have to admit that there is a risk to driving at speed.

Going back to the leaving space subject, has anyone else noticed that when they have those "leave two chevrons" bits on motorways the traffic is generally quite good? Only when some nob pulls in front of you does it create a problem. I'ma keen believer in the philosophy that if people didn't brake so often there wouldn't be as much traffic because as soon as people see brake lights they bung on the anchors so the person behind brakes and everyone gets slower and slower until someone has to stop and you have a jam.
Rather. Sometimes I'm going along on the A55 at a good speed (70+) and then in a few seconds I'm doing 30 or 40. WTF? Even when there's a tractor on the road you shouldn't need to slow right down to merge when there's hardly any traffic. I'm convinced that a lot of people only see what is directly in front of them and nothing else in the distance at all!

On some lanes using your lights is good and does help. But the ones I go on to get home a few of the corners are just plain blind and it doesn't bother some people they just keep on going! Even when they've seen you.

306 Cosworth
21st November 2007, 14:59
I don't drive like a 'prat' all the time, on the main roads and that i'm pretty sensible obeying the rules of the road etc.. It's just I like to have a bit of fun round some country lanes in the middle of the night now and again, I only do it at night as you can see peoples headlights coming the otherway, and on the motorway i'm a sensible driver usually as I do 70-75MPH as my car drinks petrol, and i don't just sit in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty and nor do I brake because I follow too close, mya ccident was just one of them things!

Daniel
21st November 2007, 16:22
I don't drive like a 'prat' all the time, on the main roads and that i'm pretty sensible obeying the rules of the road etc.. It's just I like to have a bit of fun round some country lanes in the middle of the night now and again, I only do it at night as you can see peoples headlights coming the otherway, and on the motorway i'm a sensible driver usually as I do 70-75MPH as my car drinks petrol, and i don't just sit in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty and nor do I brake because I follow too close, mya ccident was just one of them things!
I think it was the fact that you said that you were "racing" around the lanes. It's people like that who nearly wipe people out every day. Of course I don't know the road you were on but I really don't think 5 months of experience of driving on your own is enough experience to start driving fast in the lanes. Get to know your car and perhaps dare I say it practice in a supermarket car park late at night to begin to understand how the car behaves and once you're confident then put the foot down a bit more. In 5 years time you'll think "**** I didn't know anything about driving back then" and realise just how silly it is to be driving quickly on the lanes at night especially now that it's cold and your tyres aren't getting as much grip as in summer (not this summer though :p )

MrJan
21st November 2007, 18:30
Where I live it's safer in the lanes than supermarket car parks. MOst car parks are full of bollards and general have cars parked in them all the time. I think that shows that driving always has some kind of risk and really you should save up and go on a track day. I think it's about £150 for a day at Castle Combe and there is a lot more space if you get it wrong :D

Daniel
21st November 2007, 19:24
Difference is that you can see what's happening in a car park. bollards and parked cars don't generally do unexpected things. Even at very slow speeds you can get a feel for grip levels and what it feels like when oversteer or understeer is imminent.

Hazell B
21st November 2007, 20:00
Daniel's right, the UK's average country lane (even if it's called the Asomething usually!) isn't a place to learn about taking corners.

Never mind cars coming towards you can be seen, all the other nasties can't! Ditches here are twelve feet wide and six to ten feet deep for starters, then there are animals wandering about, cyclists, pedestrians with their dogs late at night, parked cars sometimes and of course brick walls.

How many hundreds of teenagers and twenty-somethings die each year on B and minor A roads? How many more kill their passengers? About six in this area over the past weekend, for starters, appeared on teletext's local news pages! In each case no other car was involved and most happened after dark.

J4MIE
21st November 2007, 22:20
I suppose the difference is that you'd probably get a talking to from the police if you did it in a car park...

MrJan
21st November 2007, 23:10
I still don't think a car park is the place to learn. Yes you get a rough feel for the car but the speed is nowhere near what you get to on the road and for that reason isn't that useful.

As for pedestrians, cyclists and dog walkers, they'd have a fair way to go to get to the lanes I end up going down. People generally can't park cars in one track roads and there are no brick walls, just hedges and fields. Not that I'm some loony who thinks that I'm on my own and can go hurtling around (I really don't wanted to be tarred as a t**t who drives like an idiot in his half arsed modified car). I alwyas consider that someone could be walking around but I haven't seen it yet.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 07:45
I still don't think a car park is the place to learn. Yes you get a rough feel for the car but the speed is nowhere near what you get to on the road and for that reason isn't that useful

At the end of the day you're still going too fast and other people use the road. Everyone has to start off small. That's why a lot of people learn to park on a quiet road inbetween two wheelie bins where there are unlikely to be other people around and the consequences are low. Then when you have more confidence you can parallel park on a busy high street. It's the same with everything. If you want to become a Typhoon pilot they don't send you out in a Typhoon and hope all will be OK. They put you in a simulator then a prop trainer then a jet trainer and finally if you've done all that well you get to fly the real deal. It may seem a chavvy thing to do but it's a lot safer and a new driver won't hurt himself or the car unless they're totally stupid. Lots more space and lots more runoff. Even when I first drove Caroline's car I first drove it in a nice empty car park so I could put my foot down and see what it could do and know how fast it would go when I pressed the go faster pedal a certain amount. Far nicer than giving it full throttle in a lane and ending up travelling through the pearly gates backwards and on fire :)

The moral of the story is start off small. You're not Colin McRae or Sebastien Loeb.

306 Cosworth
22nd November 2007, 09:40
My car isn't exactly fast anyway, it's only got a 973cc engine, so i'd hardly say i was racing, just trying to drive quickly!
And with the exception of Hazell none of you can say you've never wanted/tried to drive fast round some country lanes?

And I don't think i'm Colin McRae or any rally star i'm just having a bit of fun, and i've done the car park thing as well and it's boring!

Marshall
22nd November 2007, 10:45

You know I've never thought of that before. I'm moving from a 1.6 litre Golf (parents) to a 3.0 Alfa 166 (mine!) and while the Golf was driven fairly hard, I just don't feel a need in the Alfa.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 12:52
My car isn't exactly fast anyway, it's only got a 973cc engine, so i'd hardly say i was racing, just trying to drive quickly!
And with the exception of Hazell none of you can say you've never wanted/tried to drive fast round some country lanes?

And I don't think i'm Colin McRae or any rally star i'm just having a bit of fun, and i've done the car park thing as well and it's boring!

Wasn't trying to say that you thought you were Colin, just that none of us is Colin or Sebastien :)

I can honestly say I've never driven fast on a lane. The benefits (having fun) simply don't outweigh the dangers (dying, breaking my car or killing someone) for me. That's just me personally though.

Where I do drive fast however is on nice open roads that I know well and can see what's coming. To me that's much more enjoyable and if I was going to fly off into the moors backwards I'm less likely to hurt myself or someone else if something does go wrong.

I love driving but there are times and places where driving isn't fun and it needs to be about getting from A to B in one piece. Some of the lanes near me are great roads and would be a blast to drive on if the road was closed and it was just me but at the end of the day the road isn't closed so I don't drive as if it is.

I'm sorry if I seem critical and perhaps hypocrital being that I've had a few fender benders but I'd rather someone gave me a gentle tap from behind (as I did) than hit me headon as happened to a friend of mine who was at the time driving in a fully caged rally car with helmet and harness on and it still almost killed him!

Think about others for a moment. You might be able to see oncoming traffic just fine because of lights but what about that time someone has one light out or there's some reason you don't see their lights. Always drive as if someone is going to come around that corner too fast and you'll be safe.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd November 2007, 12:59
Wat is a 'lane' ? Are we talking about a single track road or a 'B' road that is twisty but is wide enough to have a line down the middle?

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 13:13
Wat is a 'lane' ? Are we talking about a single track road or a 'B' road that is twisty but is wide enough to have a line down the middle?
Lane to me would be something not wide enough to have a white line.

MrJan
22nd November 2007, 13:33
That's what I'd class as a lane too. The ones I drive on you can see when people are coming the other way so I don't see the difference between driving quickly there and on the moors. In fact on Dartmoor you are more likely to have an accident because of the dips, rocks and stray animals plus all the tourists that stop for a picnic on a blind crest.

Like I said before though the best thing to do is not go crazy in a lane nor chav it up in some car park but to go for a track day.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 14:05
That's what I'd class as a lane too. The ones I drive on you can see when people are coming the other way so I don't see the difference between driving quickly there and on the moors. In fact on Dartmoor you are more likely to have an accident because of the dips, rocks and stray animals plus all the tourists that stop for a picnic on a blind crest.

Like I said before though the best thing to do is not go crazy in a lane nor chav it up in some car park but to go for a track day.

But not everyone can afford to take their car to a track day and nor is it worth it for someone when they don't have a car that has a bit of power. I would look and feel like an idiot if I took my turbo diesel 406 to a track day. So if I want a nice drive I go to the Denbigh moors and have a bit of safe fun. Evo and Top Gear go there regularly because it is a "safe" place for a car to stretch it's legs and there isn't much traffic. Notice how they never bomb down a narrow lane at high speed? :p

As I said you shouldn't drive when you can't see the possible dangers. If you can't see far enough in front of you to be able to stop in that distance or avoid something then slowdown till you can stop in that distance. Simple maths really. Driving fast on a nice bit of road isn't a right. It's a privilege and if you don't want to end up being GPS tracked and forced to obey the speed limits exactly then don't drive fast on an inappropriate bit of road because it's just going to make all motorists look bad :) I enjoy going fast and I speed every day on the way to work

Mark
22nd November 2007, 15:58
He still has not confirmed exactly what sort of road is was on yet. New drivers being stupid is a big reason why many decent quality roads are being slapped with silly low speed limits. They just see an NSL sign and think that means drive as fast as you like.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 16:14
Does a NSL sign not mean it's autobahn rules? :confused:

:p

So that's why that guy got angry at me when I passed him doing 110mph :idea: :p

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd November 2007, 16:15
NSL - National Snooker League?

Magnus
22nd November 2007, 16:46
if you don't want to end up being GPS tracked and forced to obey the speed limits exactly
What does this imply? Some means of punishment? never heard of, even though we in Sweden have a lot of controling devices...

306 Cosworth
22nd November 2007, 16:52
It was a single lane road out in the middle of the country, and the time of night it was I didn't see a single car around! Doesn't mean to say that there wasnt going to be one, and I don't go that fast round the corners as well, especially if it's completely blind!

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 18:10
What does this imply? Some means of punishment? never heard of, even though we in Sweden have a lot of controling devices...
People talk of a GPS based system whereby the car is limited to the national speed limit OR you get tracked by GPS and you go over the speed limit and bam they whack you with a fine and points.

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 18:11
NSL - National Snooker League?
National speed limit :)

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd November 2007, 18:33
National speed limit :)

You reckon? :dozey:

:rolleyes:

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 18:43
You reckon? :dozey:

:rolleyes:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=national%20speed%20limit&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/images/sign039.gif

Do you know what this is? :mark:

Drew
22nd November 2007, 18:58
Does danny boy see the sarcasm? :confused:

And yes, I used to bomb it around in country lanes at night too. And I knew every corner, bump and stone off by heart, since I used to do the same thing on a pushbike too :p :

Daniel
22nd November 2007, 19:02
Does danny boy see the sarcasm? :confused:

And yes, I used to bomb it around in country lanes at night too. And I knew every corner, bump and stone off by heart, since I used to do the same thing on a pushbike too :p :
When it is clearly labelled as sarcasm then yes :)

Drew
22nd November 2007, 19:17
Now I wonder, how many people don't know what the NSL signs mean?

306 Cosworth
23rd November 2007, 18:30
I know what it means obviously and I know the different limits, 60 on a single carriage road (in both directions) and 70 on a dual carriageway :p :

sonic_roadhog
23rd November 2007, 21:49

What you clearly fail to consider when you are "racing" round the lanes is that cars are not the only thing using the roads. If I'm out walking my dog what lights will I have when u come understeering round the bend on the wrong side of the road. You are driving a lethal weapon and saying you only drive like a prat 5% of the time is like saying you only have one bullet in a gun - you can still kill someone you utter fool! Plus what a stupid thread to start, bragging about your shunts! Jesus!

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd November 2007, 21:59
Plus what a stupid thread to start, bragging about your shunts! Jesus!

I don't think that he was bragging about his crash, more like discussing them. ;) It's not like that he deliberately crashed his car so he could start a thread on the forum.

Easy Drifter
24th November 2007, 16:46
Here in Ont. we had our 1st major snowfall of the year on Thurs. There have be a couple of days with local squalls. At one point they were averaging 1 accident a minute in central Ont. during the storm.
Quite a few are people who have never seen snow before either from the Carib. or Asia.
However the # of SUV's and other 4 wheel drive vehicles is out of all proportion to the # on the roads. We really see it up here around Georgian Bay as this is ski and snow country and we get all sorts from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) where they do not get nearly as much snow coming up to ski. The 4 wheel drive may go better in the snow but they do not turn any better nor do they stop any better. Many of them a very confident and end up in the ditch often upside down.
We had one fatal where a driver lost contol on a wet ramp (near Toronto) and spun in front of a large truck. The truck driver tried to avoid him and hit a bridge and was killed. The car had 4 different tires on it and one was a way over inflated. I hope the cops lay charges.

Garry Walker
24th November 2007, 17:05
My biggest crash was around 13-14 years ago, hitting a deer during the nighttime. Speed I was doing was normal, the ******* just jumped right out at the wrong moment. Car was a bit messed up, but nothing too bad.
I also once put it in a tree slightly on a race track once and broke one of the windows.

Has anyone had a big crash or any crashes on the road or on the race track. I've only been driving since June, but i've already had 1 crash, was when I was racing round some lanes in the middle of the night pissing down with rain, wentto fast into a tight left hander, which tightened again, understeered locked up slid across road and into a brick wall :s Thankfully the impack wasn't too bad, but I now have a massive dent in my near side front wing and a few scratches, it deffinetly needs a new front wing but aven't got the money to replace it :(

LOL. I would never laugh at anyone having a crash, but people who try to show how "great" drivers they are and start racing and imagine they are Sebastien Loebs, when in reality they are nobodies driving skills wise, then hearing or seeing they have put it in the wall, is damn funny.

Reminds me of a time when the roads had first ice and it was slippery, so people without experience were struggling. Thankfully, one BMW driver just in front of me decided to amuse the crowd and wanted to show his talents and promptly spun the car, crashing into a garden at a totally innocent speed. It was another one of those teenager street-racers thinking they are the best drivers in world, but completely lacking in substance.

I was only having a bit of fun coz you only live once! I know a guy who did similar racing things like you did, was proud of it, then crashed because his skills didnt match his ego, and killed a guy with his night stunts. If you want to race, go to a race track, they are meant for that.
If you start racing on public roads, during the night, then you are a bloody moron. You wouldnt have any time for corrective action. A great driver might, but you obviously wouldnt. Doing it in the daytime is much better, your visibility is much better, but we wouldnt want people to see and call the cops, huh?

Not as if my car is mega nice anyway its just a car! Only trying to have a bit of fun whilst i can! And no I didn't inform the police of owner of the wall as 1. The wall wasn't damaged just abit of red paint left on it and 2. The police have far better things to do than worry about me hitting a wall!
Are you really 18? I knew people that age were immature, but you are taking it to a new level.
With your racing stunts, you might some day kill a person.

And with the exception of Hazell none of you can say you've never wanted/tried to drive fast round some country lanes? I have. I also want many other things. Thankfully I reached maturity early in my life and realized some things should not be done. If you want to race, first learn a bit about driving. Find a frozen lake and learn how to drive on ice and snow. Or try it on a private road, I do it around my property sometimes and can do it safely because no one will ever be there. But even then doing it in the daytime is much more sensible. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

RallyfanNZ
6th December 2007, 05:25
My biggest crash (even after rallying) was parking in the garage and forgetting I hadn't turned the car off. Lucky I let the clutch out and had foot partially on brake. :)

My heart was really pounding. LOL