PDA

View Full Version : A few things I'd like to know

Cropolite
18th November 2007, 19:08
I always watched WRC when I knew it was on (which, probably wasn't enough), but having attended the WRC a few days back I'm really interested to learn more . . .

1 - Why are there so few big teams compared to F1? Where have all the cars from back in 03 etc. gone?
2 - What are the big changes that FIA made, that gives many the opinion that WRC is going downhill?
3 - Having had a glimpse at the Rumour thread - why would Citroen be talking of pulling out of the WRC?
4 - What's this big 2012 plan I'm hearing about?
5 - Is it possible the WRC will move to less powerful cars in general to cut costs? That would really take away from the event.

Thanks

Speedbitz
18th November 2007, 22:04
1 - There are two reason for this. The first is manufactueres like ferrari don't want to market thier cars as dirty gravel cars. You dont drive a $350,000 Ferrari on gravel but you can and do drive a subaru or mistubishi etc on gravel eg going snow skiing. Super cars are for f1. You would have to ask honda's marketing manager why they are not in wrc. The other reason is that wrc is far too expensive. Google IRC championship and you can see how many manufacturers are now building super 2000 cars, there are heaps, hopefully they will all enter these cars in the wrc in 2012.

2 - These are cost related, make the cost far cheaper you get more manufacturers and more competitors. Some of the changes are no moose in the tyres. One make tyres which are not as good as the other make who didn't get the contract etc.

3 - Because they are owned by PSA who owns Peugeot as well. When Peugeot won the championship 3 years in row or so, they got annoyed when they got diqualified for changing a water pump from steel to plastic or the other way round, can't remember. That part was a stock 206 parts that the manufacturers had changed. In other words they didn't do it to cheat as any idiot knows it would not make any difference to the car. PSA pulled Peugeot out as they had acchieved what they set out to do and went to Le Mans. Citroen has won the manufacturers as well and the drivers year after year so perhaps they will get pulled out. From what I have heard about PSA is that they want to build super 2000 cars and have the dealerships sponsoring them to run in local championships rather than doing wrc.

4 - Iin 2012 all manufacturers must have either a group n homologated car or a super 2000 car that the wrc car is then based on. Which is why suzuki built their WRCar to Super 2000 regs minus the transmission and engine. In other words the suspension is all the same heights and can be on any corner. Unlike the focus which has purpose built suspension for the front and rear.

5 - I don't think so, the idea is for privateers to run super 2000 cars and the works teams to run super 2000 cars with turbo chargers and electric gearshift and active centre diff. The cars can still make the same power at a fraction of the cost, remember they are using 34mm restrictors at the moments. A rule to make engines last 4 events instead of 2 and getting rid of the restrictor would see a cost cutting and more power up top. So for that reason I don't think they will ever bring the power down.

Cropolite
19th November 2007, 01:22
Thanks for that - So the future is secure to say the least I take it? Just hope Ireland mentains the WRC Stage now!

AndyRAC
19th November 2007, 09:25
I always watched WRC when I knew it was on (which, probably wasn't enough), but having attended the WRC a few days back I'm really interested to learn more . . .

1 - Why are there so few big teams compared to F1? Where have all the cars from back in 03 etc. gone?
2 - What are the big changes that FIA made, that gives many the opinion that WRC is going downhill?

Thanks

Here's my take on your queries;

1- As much as I like WRC, if you were a boss of a Manufacturer why would you enter at the moment, what are the returns? T.V, Radio and Newspaper coverage is poor. As for the cars, how many 'quality' manufacturers are in it? None, they're not interested, obviously not interested in seeing their cars getting muddy.

2- The F1A are clueless when it comes to WRC, ultra-compact routes, same stages year after year, silly rule changes. There was nothing wrong 5-10 years ago, why change?

Mark
19th November 2007, 10:13
It needs to be on ITV1 on a Sunday afternoon, instead it's on ITV4.

MikeD
19th November 2007, 11:44
Here's my take on your queries;

1- As much as I like WRC, if you were a boss of a Manufacturer why would you enter at the moment, what are the returns? T.V, Radio and Newspaper coverage is poor. As for the cars, how many 'quality' manufacturers are in it? None, they're not interested, obviously not interested in seeing their cars getting muddy.

The whole "cars getting muddy" issue is also a part of the whole sponsor-problem issue. There were some cars in Rally Ireland where you never - during the weekend - were able to see the sponsor(s) and that is a problem which is very difficult to solve despite the constant "washing cars" at every service.

In F1 and MotoGP the sponsors are more easy to see during the event - and of course these two other series has better TV coverage, which is fundamental for a sport to be able to grow.

Ramore
19th November 2007, 13:01
I have heard somewhere that there is gonna be a WRC TV in the neat future. This could help, if it's true of course. Do you know something about that?

Mark
19th November 2007, 13:15
It also doesn't help when they charge to get coverage on WRC.com. That is the sort of thing they should be doing for free to encourage spectators.

Josti
19th November 2007, 13:20
It also doesn't help when they charge to get coverage on WRC.com. That is the sort of thing they should be doing for free to encourage spectators.

I thought this was going to happen already, if I'm correct.

AndyRAC
19th November 2007, 15:43

Charging only works if thre is a considerable appetite for it, i;e Football, F1,etc. To be blunt, WRC isn't big enough to be charging for coverage, in fact it should be free. In fact, all concerned should be doing everything to publicise the sport, not charging and getting nowhere, needs to be more encouragement.

SubaruNorway
19th November 2007, 18:12

yes next year