PDA

View Full Version : 1969 lemans

DavePI2
18th November 2007, 17:14
I just watched 1969 Lemans highlights on youtube. Great cars, great drivers, and one hell of a race. I am not one to usually talk about the good old days but it would be hard to beat the duel between ickx and herrman down the stretch for great races no matter what series you are talking about. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this race and where it might rank among all time greats.

David

AAReagles
19th November 2007, 20:02
Thank goodness someone else around here recognizes this unforgetable event.

Though I was much to young to have appreciated this race when it occured, this ranks as one of my top 5 favs' of all racing, others being;

1967 Italian GP
1979 French GP
1982 Monaco GP

1982 Indianapolis 500

What's even more fascinating about the outcome of this event was that Jacky Ickx won by a mere 100 meters/yards after having starting the race, in a protest about safety, by simply walking to his car instead of sprinting across the track which up to that time was the tradition. Since then the race has been conducted with rolling starts, as a result of his protest.

tmx
26th November 2007, 06:31
i think this is the race when drivers still run to their cars instead of strapped in for the start. jackie ickx was against that and he walked to the gt40 instead of running and went on the win.

BDunnell
26th November 2007, 14:49
I believe Le Mans 1969 has a strong claim to being one of the greatest motor races of all time.

What's even more fascinating about the outcome of this event was that Jacky Ickx won by a mere 100 meters/yards after having starting the race, in a protest about safety, by simply walking to his car instead of sprinting across the track which up to that time was the tradition. Since then the race has been conducted with rolling starts, as a result of his protest.

And as a result of what happened in 1969, when John Woolfe was killed near the end of the first lap in a huge, fiery crash. He had not done his belts up in his hurry to get away, having qualified near the front in his new 917. He probably wouldn't have survived the shunt anyway, but it was an extra wake-up call for the ACO.