PDA

View Full Version : The best new event of the year?

SubaruNorway
18th November 2007, 16:56
After all candidate events finished wich one do you think was the best.

Would be nice with a poll for this one

N.O.T
18th November 2007, 17:19
NZ

White Sauron
18th November 2007, 17:23
For me it was definetely Norway.
1. Another snow rally. Enough gravel and asphalt events in the calendar!
2. The first driver to beat both Gronholm and Loeb in direct fight.
3. Loeb is only a human - 2 costly mistakes.
4. Lots of competitors, good fight till the end.

As for 2 others... Portugal... well, without mud or great jumps it's a common gravel event. For me it was also spoilt be idiotic exclusion of Fords. Ireland? Well, it's an interesting event, smth between asphalt and gravel, but well... It was too... dark? Maybe better hold it in late Spring?

Josti
18th November 2007, 17:23
Judging by the rally itself, I have to say Ireland.

SubaruNorway
18th November 2007, 17:24
? New Zealand wasen't one of them, it was Norway, Portugal and Ireland

Ok im from Norway but i still think Rally Norway looked the best in every aspect, working closely with the Swedish rally must have helped a lot. Portugal was nothing new as mentioned and i felt Ireland was a bit flat, might just be the coverage that sucked.

chrisc
18th November 2007, 17:25
Ireland, but i think it was run at thw wrong time of year

Tomi
18th November 2007, 17:26
my choise is Norway, Ireland was ok too.

Mihai
18th November 2007, 17:29
I'd say Ireland. It was really a tough one, I enjoyed it... from home.

Josti
18th November 2007, 17:31
Ireland, but i think it was run at thw wrong time of year

I'd say the rally was in his best conditions.

Corny
18th November 2007, 17:55
Ireland for stages
Norway for results
:d
Portugal should've been on the old place!

L5->R5/CR
18th November 2007, 17:57
Norway or Ireland.

The championship needs more variety in the types of events. Norway would represent some more balance. In 2007 we had 2.5 snow, 4.5 tarmac and 9 gravel calendar worked for me (maybe 7 gravel events instead though). In the future I think 2.5 snow, 3.5 tarmac, and 7 gravel would be a very nice balance of surfaces and distribution.

Portugal didn't really excite me.

Lousada
18th November 2007, 18:01
I completely forgot about Portugal already. Norway and Ireland however were both good rallies that provided something new to the championship. Especially Ireland was a real challenge for all the drivers and teams. The weather helped a lot with this, but I think in the dry it will still be something different and challenging.

ITC55
18th November 2007, 18:18
I'd say Ireland as to be expected being Irish
But Norway was a brilliant event too, it had a great entry and action like Ireland

ARJ-206
18th November 2007, 18:31
I say Rally Ireland. It was the toughest event of the year.

White Sauron
18th November 2007, 20:57
What I personally don't like about Rally Ireland is that it came, spoilt Gronholms's championship and left! :D Actually, yeah, it could debut next year, after Marcus clinches his third title...

jonas_mcrae
18th November 2007, 23:46
Cant choose between Ireland and Norway but definitely Portugal is 3rd (was nice but didnt add anything new) My question again is, why the Czech Republic doesnt have a candidate event???

PuddleJumper
19th November 2007, 10:25
None of these were candidate events. They were all official rounds of this year's championship. The candidate events were run last year (or the year before in Ireland's case) to assess their suitability for inclusion in the WRC calendar.

The candidate events this year were Jordan, Poland and South Africa.

Tomi
19th November 2007, 10:41
None of these were candidate events. They were all official rounds of this year's championship. The candidate events were run last year (or the year before in Ireland's case) to assess their suitability for inclusion in the WRC calendar.

Ok south africa then, but of the new ones Norway.

PuddleJumper
19th November 2007, 10:42
Ok south africa then, but of the new ones Norway.
South Africa withdrew their application. :p :

Tomi
19th November 2007, 10:46
South Africa withdrew their application. :p :

still the best one, jordan is in a sandbox, poland tarmac.

hari
19th November 2007, 10:53

Poland is gravel, not tarmac

Tomi
19th November 2007, 10:55
Poland is gravel, not tarmac

anyway south africa.

SubaruNorway
19th November 2007, 16:42

Sorry formulated the question a bit wrong, "wich one of the new events in this years wrc" it should have been, Poll?

Viktory
19th November 2007, 16:48

Rally Poland was gravel right?

PuddleJumper
19th November 2007, 17:09
Poll added.

N.O.T
19th November 2007, 17:54
Ooops i skipped the "NEW" part....

Ireland for sure....

leno
19th November 2007, 19:10
Norway, because a like snow rallies

Mirek
19th November 2007, 19:26
I like Norway and Ireland but what mooved the ballance to Norway is Sebastian Loeb, I simply prefer event where he is not dominant :)

RallyfanNZ
20th November 2007, 06:32
You cant get much more boring then Ireland. Bar the other tarmac rallies. The WRC footage was ok, but Norway's was miles better to watch. I was struggling to watch Ireland like I do on most tarmac rounds (Especially with modern WRC cars). A half tarmac/half gravel rally would shake things up a bit. Like in Poland.

AndyRAC
20th November 2007, 07:59
You cant get much more boring then Ireland. Bar the other tarmac rallies. The WRC footage was ok, but Norway's was miles better to watch. I was struggling to watch Ireland like I do on most tarmac rounds (Especially with modern WRC cars). A half tarmac/half gravel rally would shake things up a bit. Like in Poland.

I've heard people say that Ireland was a great event, haven't seen the footage yet, but the TV people are obviously not doing their job properly if they can't get decent footage, they're not selling the sport very well are they?? As for Tarmac; with these latest cars, it is mildly boring; do something about the cars then. Agree about mixrd surface events though, bring them back.

tmx
20th November 2007, 08:11

I watches the Ireland national championship and I find it pretty exciting. But I think Ireland round in this wrc wasn't much interesting more because mostly due to the very poor tv coverage and current state of wrc itself. Once marcus crashes out, I didn't really care anymore. This is true for all their other coverages for the last 3 yearsthough, I struggle to even paying attention to the eurosport review. They are so unenthuasist in doing it.

It would help a little if they bring back the lady's voice.

WRC1
20th November 2007, 13:07
for me both norway and ireland where excellent events, they where exiting to watch and each of them very unique!

there is no other tarmac rally where cars sliding so much and the landscape (wich is not unimportant for good tv-pics) is breathtaking
norway on the other hand was a perfect organised event under perfect winter conditions

bring back portugal to the old area and it would be unique too!!

reg

wrc1

Langdale Forest
20th November 2007, 20:13
Ireland was good because of the local drivers and it was a very intresting rally.

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 20:45
for me both norway and ireland where excellent events, they where exiting to watch and each of them very unique!

there is no other tarmac rally where cars sliding so much and the landscape (wich is not unimportant for good tv-pics) is breathtaking
norway on the other hand was a perfect organised event under perfect winter conditions

reg

wrc1

I second that word to word.... scary ;)

Tomi
20th November 2007, 20:49
Ireland was good because of the local drivers and it was a very intresting rally.

I think the locals was not so good if you look at the times, i think the best local privateer was something 9 min off the podium.

Damo WRC
20th November 2007, 22:13
yeah we r all a bit disapointed for the locals......meeke started well but got plagued by the subaru bug and then fought hard to win back time and fought that wee bit too hard...

donnelly, well i wasnt sure that taking a fabia out was the right move, but he had no other choice, he had limited testing time and straight away was in for some bad luck.....those two on a good weekend might have been challenging the mid table drivers....especially meeke

id have to vote for ireland in this poll (not being biased) .....altho norway was a great event an i hope it remains inside the wrc, but if u showed me footage from either norway or sweden i couldnt tell the difference....whereas you couldnt get confused with irish stages .....its so unique and challenging.....altho i remember japans first year caused alot of problems for the drivers but the second time they had mastered it..

ZequeArgentina
21st November 2007, 00:07
Ireland added something different to other rallys,
Portugal, is a classic, did nto surprised me, I just knew it.
I liked Norway, but I preffer Ireland.

AndyRAC
21st November 2007, 00:09

reg

wrc1

Take Rally Portugal to were it should be, the Fafe and Arganil stages, absolute classic areas. Though there are other Rallies we could say the same about as well, ...Kielder,..cough, cough,..

Brother John
21st November 2007, 08:49
I think the locals was not so good if you look at the times, i think the best local privateer was something 9 min off the podium.

Local are not accustomed to cut on the roads because they have also no mousse in the tyres!
Next year it can be complete differently with those Pirelli's in WRC.

Tomi
21st November 2007, 09:23
Local are not accustomed to cut on the roads because they have also no mousse in the tyres!
Next year it can be complete differently with those Pirelli's in WRC.

yes true, but they did know the roads better, and think also how much the gap might have been if there would have been a little more competition in the front.

Brother John
21st November 2007, 10:45
yes true, but they did know the roads better, and think also how much the gap might have been if there would have been a little more competition in the front.

You have a point here, be very curious, will we see in 2008 much difference? Will Loeb still will make less mistakes!

5Times
21st November 2007, 15:52
Having been fortunate enough to spectate on all 3 of these new events I would rank them as follows:-
1 - Norway
2 - Portugal
3 - Ireland

All three events were superbly organised.
Norway was spectacular and it was great to see a second snow rally on the calendar. The only downside was the extremely heavy traffic on the Hamar - Elverum road on Saturday. You were charged for spectating and parking (can't remember the cost). Good range of Rally Norway merchandise.
I saw:-
Thursday - shakedown, service park & ceremonial start
Friday - 3 stages
Saturday - 2 stages & service park
Sunday - 2 stages & podium

Portugal offered some great, well thought out spectator areas with the cars visible for some distance and a fantastic super special (not to everyone's taste I know). There was a reluctance to move between stages, probably something carried over from the 'Old' Rally Portugal where spectator numbers were extremely high. With the exception of the Super Special the stages were free. Lots of the Rally Portugal merchandise sold out on Thursday, range wasn't very good.
Friday - 2 stages & service park
Saturday - 2 stages
Sunday - 2 stages & super special

Ireland was well organised with very helpful marshals and police. The nature of the area meant that good views were only allowed from a ling distance away. High hedges and fences prevented good close views. Super Special was too far away and not very good. Some park & rides charged EUR20:00 to drop at the stages then did not return later for collection meaning some huge walks. Stages were free, Service Park cost EUR10:00, the was some car parking and P&R provided by local communities. The programme was simply the best on I've ever seen. Good range of Rally Ireland merchandise too. Route meant only 1 stage possible on Sunday.
Thursday - Shakedown & Service Park
Friday - 3 stages & Service Park
Saturday - 2 stages
Sunday - 1 stage

All three deserve a regular slot in the new 12 round rotational calendar, and a number of existing WRC regular events could learn things from all three.

SubaruNorway
21st November 2007, 16:07
Tought all events were charging spectators? From what i've heard Rally Norway was half the price of GB. The parking lots this year was briliant, don't think i walked for more than 2km all three days to get to stage.

gloomyDAY
22nd November 2007, 06:23
Norway. Fantastic stages and even better results.

I think having Sweden and Norway rallies close to one another was a bad idea. Anyone else think those 2 events should have been spaced out?

Josti
22nd November 2007, 09:26
Norway. Fantastic stages and even better results.

I think having Sweden and Norway rallies close to one another was a bad idea. Anyone else think those 2 events should have been spaced out?

Well, there isn't snow in Norway all year long I guess. I for one think it was the most logic way to place them after eachother. Not only for the snow, but also transportation wise, since their neighbour countries.

gloomyDAY
24th November 2007, 06:08
Well, there isn't snow in Norway all year long I guess. I for one think it was the most logic way to place them after eachother. Not only for the snow, but also transportation wise, since their neighbour countries.
I can't argue against that logic.

Some people on this forum were critical of Norway because it brought the same crowds from Sweden. Apparently, that meant Rally Norway had less attention because most people were not willing to see another event in the snow and in the same region.

Any thoughts? Norway should definitely stay. Great rally!

SubaruNorway
24th November 2007, 09:23
The way things looks now Sweden and Norway will have an event every other year so i think that will make for even better events when the organisation from each country work togheter on wichever event has the wrc that year.

Priorat
24th November 2007, 09:43
I've ben to Norway and Ireland. Both had awesome landscapes that made for good pictures, and in both, local people, marshals, police and organisation were very helpful and friendly.
Norway was very easy to follow with good parking and good chance to see lots of stages.
Ireland was a bit more difficult due to the nature of access roads.
But if I have to choose one , I go for Norway. Just because snow rallys always brings dramattic spots whatever corner or spectating spot you go whereas Ireland, being tarmac, it is about lucky if the spot you choose brings something.

Brother John
24th November 2007, 10:27
The way things looks now Sweden and Norway will have an event every other year so i think that will make for even better events when the organisation from each country work togheter on wichever event has the wrc that year.

I think and there are rumours that 2 the organisations go cooperate together to organise every year a winter rally!
They have said that on the radio here in Sweden.

Simmi
24th November 2007, 14:05
I went to Ireland and I must say I was impressed with the organisers on getting it all running smoothly. I was aprehensive before going expecting stage cancelations and things. I dont think they actually got as many speccys as they were expecting but they coped admirably. Id agree with some of the access roads being a bit sketchy in places but nothing too bad. Nice to not have to pay the earth for the viewing of stages either after being used to Wales in the past.

I enjoyed Norway a lot too though I hope they both get a regular slot.

Mintexmemory
29th November 2007, 01:17
Don't know where Simmi was spectating but Sloughen Glen on Saturday was extremely crowded with limited vantage points as a result. Saw the field through in the morning, got soaked. Parking was 5euro and catering was exceptional. Watched 1st 15 through in afternoon then dashed off to Tempo
Tempo was great having got there with 10 minutes spare to see J-ML take of at the drop. Saw the whole field through again, no parking fee
Sunday morning we went to Fardross at a point that reminded me of the tarmac that runs through Dalby and Wykeham. Only ca 30 speccys at the point we chose so great view and clean getaway to Dublin for the afternoon flight back to England. Can't understand why anyone would choose to keep going back to Wales. Going again for the full event next time, and possibly Sardinia or Corsica next year.
Fardross forest view attached