PDA

View Full Version : Furthest you have driven in one day?

Mark
18th November 2007, 13:13
I'm planning to drive from Gateshead, England to Rouen in Normandy France in a single day next year. That is some 500 miles.

But I'm sure it's tiny compared to what some of you have done, so lets hear it!

Tomi
18th November 2007, 14:18
From Budapest in Hungary to Gdansk in Poland, i was in hurry to the ferry, on that trip i got 8-9 speeding tickets too.

Easy Drifter
18th November 2007, 15:19
all with 2 drivers: West Palm Beach to Orlando to Daytona Beach to Toronto about 1400 miles
Debert (Truro) NS to Toronto.
Winnipeg to Ottawa.
Both over 1100 miles.

Dave B
18th November 2007, 16:49
Knockhill to home in Kent in heavy rain - 486 miles according to Google Maps. That was a fun 10 hours :\

Drew
18th November 2007, 18:03
I went on a coach from Plymouth to Paris when I was 10, does that count?

I once travelled about 440miles trying to get to uni, 100miles more than it should have been, because I got lost. I hope you have a comfortable seat, Mark!

306 Cosworth
18th November 2007, 18:57
Well I haven't driven that far, furthest i've travelled is to Haye Park in Ludlow which is about 110 miles, but earlier this year went on a coach from Bridgwater College to Lloret De Mar nr Barcelona in Spain! That took less than 24 Hours don't know how far it was though, probably around 600-800 miles??

GridGirl
18th November 2007, 19:49
Me and my dad drove from London to Blanes (the next town along from Lloret de Mar) in less that 24 hours when we went to the Spanish GP in 2002. That took the longest, and would of took alot longer if we hadn't shared the driving. I've driven to Spa and Hockenheim but I dont think they are as far.

The furthest I've ever driven was when I went to Monza, but we had to stop over night. :)

Easy Drifter
18th November 2007, 21:24
The Winnipeg to Ottawa run was the 3rd leg of the trip. 1st day was Westwood (Vancouver) to Medicine Hat, Alberta. 2nd day Medicine Hat to Winnipeg and 3rd to Ottawa. About 3500 miles. :eek:

donKey jote
19th November 2007, 00:09
2200km from Madrid to Hannover once or twice :dozey:
Did Madrid to Blackpool once which was slightly less distance but you lost time with the ferry :)
In the days before easyflights, I used to do Mad-Oxford (~1875km) on a fairly regular basis.
Nightmare trip was Valencia to Oxford after staying up most of the previous night... shared the driving but at one point we had to keep changing every 10-20 km. Very very stupid :crazy:
Worst trip was my "homecoming", Ox to just North of Madrid, in an old Peugeot 505 diesel (the turbo was bypassed and the heating was stuck on, in Summer). About ~100km North of Madrid, I nodded off for a split second. Very very lucky for all involved. I now know how easy it can happen, even if it's Noon, you're "feeling fine" and it's only another half hour home :rolleyes:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Rollo
19th November 2007, 04:08
I drove from Adelaide to Sydney via Broken Hill in 23 hours and was totally exhausted at the end.
1623km or 1008 miles at 70km/h or 44mph.

I went from John O'Groats to Land's End in just under 12 hours... and wasn't picked up speeding once :D I don't think you can go any further from point to point in the UK.

wedge
19th November 2007, 14:17
I drove from Surrey to Yorkshire and back again for no particular reason except to go on a leisurely drive!

When I ended up at Manchester via the Peak District I remember thinking there was no harm checking out the roads in the Yorkshire Dales!

This must've been a phase during Uni when I watched Vanishing Point a lot and listening to Primal Scream.

J4MIE
20th November 2007, 02:11
Last few days went Pitlessie - Ae - Leeds - Dalby - Langdale - Penrith - Ae - Castle O'er - Newcastleton - Brampton - Hopehouse - Carlisle - Pitlessie. 960 miles.

Have done Pitlessie-Cardiff and Pitlessie-Dover on several occasions.

I think the key thing is to keep going and stop as little as possible :s

DonJippo
20th November 2007, 05:11
Drove once from Komarom, Hungary via Vienna to the mountains of San Remo about 1300km in 13 hours.

pino
20th November 2007, 07:20
Copenhagen-Sanremo non-stop about 1400 km, but that was many years ago, not sure I could do it again today :p :

Allyc85
20th November 2007, 16:46
From Spa francorchamps in Belguim back to East Devon, though it didnt really feel that far!

Magnus
20th November 2007, 17:32
One awful week I drive from malaga with a car with a carriage/wagon (what ever it is called) up to Gothenburg. On the way i encountered a snowstorm both in the north of spain and in the southern parts of France, as well as awful weather in the north of germanyu. I took the wrong credit-card with me aswell so I had to sleep in the car and leave the carriage in Germany, since I couldnīt afford to take it with me on the ferry. This was around christmas 2001, and the exchange-offices where just closed due to the Euro... Along with this the lights on the cariiage caused probs, wich I tried to fix a few times with numb fingers...
From Gothenburg I went to Sunne. When I was in Sunne my parents called, their BMW had broken down in the north of France, and since they had their dog they wondered if I could go down and pick them up...
So I did...
I drove over 7500 kms that week...
And passing trough the north of Germany I had another snowstorm, and the engine of my old volvo started misfiring. I had to take the plugs out every 30-40 kms. It was terrible...!

MrJan
20th November 2007, 20:15
Did Exeter to Uxbridge and back and Le Mans to Exeter (don't know how far either is so no idea which is longer).

Also went from Exeter to Old Trafford and back 3 times in 15 days but didn't drive at any point (did manage to see 16 goals though :D )

BrentJackson
20th November 2007, 21:12
How does Cape Town to Bloemfontein in South Africa hit you? :D That's roughly 700 miles.

schmenke
20th November 2007, 22:22
Montreal - Fredericton, NB: ~800kms

Montreal - New York: ~600kms

Anything longer, I fly :D

A.F.F.
20th November 2007, 23:19
I drove from Stockholm, Sweden to near Basel, Switzerland. I don't know the milage but it took 25 hours and the only breaks were ferrys in Denmark and stops at gas stations. I had Nissan Micra which was just bit too fast for the trucks on Autobahn but way too slow for everybody else. So I basicly drove from the mirrow. :s

When we finally arrived to Switzerland, I was sick all day and couldn't sleep due the vomiting. Not highly recommenned.

schmenke
21st November 2007, 16:26
Well, if we're including ferries...
Departing Fredericton we drove to St. John's, Newfoundland. I have no idea of the distance but it did involve a 14-hour ferry crossing through breaking ice :D

Easy Drifter
21st November 2007, 17:05
schmenke: Hard to fly when you are hauling a race car. :D

Breeze
21st November 2007, 19:01
Coral Springs, Florida to Gaithersburg, Maryland, 1057 miles according to Google maps, AND I BELIEVE IT!!! Done solo in one single day in 1990 driving a 12 year old Chevy Nova and towing a small U-Haul trailer. I arrived in the DC Metro area at night having never been there, in a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR with the usual heavy traffic and every turn, ramp and merge completly new to me.

Talk about your white knuckle driving.

Thats about 1700KM to you mere mortals. Do I win anything? :D

Magnus
24th November 2007, 14:36
Nope, looking at the above it seems like some others have done it to... with trailer ;)

Lousada
25th November 2007, 19:47
Well we once had the crazy idea to watch a race in Austria, but we did not want to take a day off. So Saturday morning 1000 km trip to Austria, watch the race Saturday and Sunday. Then Sunday evening 1000km back and monday morning back at school/work. Ouch :arrowed:

airshifter
27th November 2007, 23:42
Coral Springs, Florida to Gaithersburg, Maryland, 1057 miles according to Google maps, AND I BELIEVE IT!!! Done solo in one single day in 1990 driving a 12 year old Chevy Nova and towing a small U-Haul trailer. I arrived in the DC Metro area at night having never been there, in a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR with the usual heavy traffic and every turn, ramp and merge completly new to me.

Talk about your white knuckle driving.

Thats about 1700KM to you mere mortals. Do I win anything? :D

That's a long day.

Then again I once did Virginia Beach to Daytona Beach nonstop, just to go party! :D

Caroline
30th November 2007, 16:48
Cessnock to Brisbane. Not sure how far exactly but it was a bit of a trek. Next day I went back to Sydney, but with a sensible stay over in a windmill in Coffs Harbour. It sorta put me off Toyotas :s

samehere
5th December 2007, 09:21
6km to the nearest store :-) just fun....some 500km....trough the whole country to the capital city :-)

leopard
5th December 2007, 09:50
1100 km when going hometown a city nearby Bali :)

Magnus
5th December 2007, 10:20
Bali? As on Bali?

leopard
6th December 2007, 03:34
My hometown was originated from residence named Banyuwangi adjacent to Bali.

I have been living throughout islands where it is possible making life. Usually I visit it once a year.

Magnus
6th December 2007, 07:40
Interesting, I looked it up on Google Earth! We went to Bali last winter, but it was so very warm, so it took a while to get used to it... I have a pile of questions, but i guess I keep them in my basket for time being: this was a thread abt long-distance driving as far as I recall ;)

raybak
6th December 2007, 08:40
I did Perth to Kilmore(near Melbourne) 3418km in 2 days 1hr by myself, had a few hours sleep and drank a lot of coca cola. This was in my young and stupid days. Wouldn't do it now.

Ray

leopard
7th December 2007, 02:26
Try energy drink, usually it helps twice better than soft drink :)

Alexamateo
7th December 2007, 03:09
When I was getting married, I drove my car from Memphis, TN to Chihuahua, Chih. Mexico straight through by myself. That's 1304 miles and it took me 22 hours including 2 hours at the border getting my paperwork in order to take my car into Mexico.

After the wedding, we packed the car with all of her things that would fit, (after all she was moving with me to the US), and drove to El Paso to fly to Hawaii for the Honeymoon, leaving the car at the airport.

10 days later, we returned to El Paso and started heading to Memphis, but for some reason we couldn't drive long stretches at a time and kept having to stop at hotels. It took us 3 days going back :eek: ;) :D

leopard
7th December 2007, 03:27
I spent my honeymoon at a third class motel nearby home, only need 30 minutes by motorcycle to cover the distance. At least I have some privacy while at home we have a crowd of ceremony. :D :bounce:

drew3007
14th December 2007, 20:04
Drove from Killeen, Texas to San Luis Obispo, CA in 23.5 hours...straight. 1650mi (2655km) all by myself. Delirious much?

NinjaMaster
4th January 2008, 10:49
Few years ago, we did a trip from my hometown of Berwick in Victoria to Kalgoorlie in Western Australia (about 3000kms) in 36 hours. It would've been quicker but we got lost a couple of times (freakin' Adelaide!) and had to wait for a servo to open in some hick town when we got there bout 3 in the morning. The return trip which was from Esperance only took 30 hours and I probably drove 50% of the trip. Your right foot gets real sore without cruise control!