PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot in ALMS, Charouz with a 908 on LMS ???

Tom206wrc
15th November 2007, 15:09
Hi,

Interesting rumour in Autosprint(italian motorsport magazine) and Auto-Hebdo(french motorsport magazine) !!!!

Peugeot would be currently rethinking its 2008 Endurance season, and if Audi, the main contender is still running in USA only(ALMS)next year, the french team could live 2008 LMS as official factory team !!!!

The idea for them would be to engage two factory 908s HDI in ALMS and one private 908 in LMS(to keep minimum presence in Europe) !!! :eek:

In this case the private team which would run the third 908 in Europe would be Czech Charouz team(with Jan Charouz and Steffan Mücke)...

Only rumour I insist, but interesting though ;)

harvick#1
15th November 2007, 16:11
Peugeot is already believed to be only going to the major events next year, Sebring, Petit, and maybe Laguna Seca. never heard of anything for a full season, but would be great if true

Sleeper
17th November 2007, 16:30
They are currently rethinking their commitment to the LMS for next year, they only want to return if Audi show up (Audi will anounce its motorsport program at the Essen Motor Show).

One option is a pick-and-mix of the best events from both sides of the Atlantic, but they definitely want to go head to head with Audi before Le Mans, apparently the R10's race pace really caught out Peugeot and want to be better prepared this time.

Hoss Ghoul
20th November 2007, 13:19
Why would they race a full season in the U.S.? They don't sell cars here, and I doubt the ALMS following in Europe is worth noting. Only Sebring and Petit make any sense, Sebring for its scheduling/roughness, a great early test, and Petit for its outright speed. Laguna Seca, which would be awesome, would do very little for Puegot from either a development or competition standpoint, IMO.

BrentJackson
20th November 2007, 22:32
I think that if Audi does come back to another full year then Peugeot will follow. Let's be honest, where is the factory squads and the competition that goes with them, LMS or ALMS? Peugeot wants to win Le Mans, they need to beat Audi to do it. Places like Miller Park and Road America are ultra-fast as Le Mans is, and Peugeot will want to chase Audi and then beat them, won't they?

Sleeper
21st November 2007, 00:27
^Thats the point I was making, Peugeot admited that the race pace of the Audi caught them out last year, it was much better than theirs. As Peugeot had only raced against the petrol cars, of which they are considerably faster, they had no idea of whether they were doing enough or not beore Le Mans. Thats why they could do ALMS races, competition improves the breed.

Jag_Warrior
23rd November 2007, 19:00
And to add to the other points, LMS seems to be quite a mess right now. Champ Car fans can rejoice in knowing that there is (at least) one series out there which is even more confused & convoluted than CCWS.

I really hope this happens. This would be fantastic for P1 and ALMS.

Sleeper
25th November 2007, 14:39
And to add to the other points, LMS seems to be quite a mess right now. Champ Car fans can rejoice in knowing that there is (at least) one series out there which is even more confused & convoluted than CCWS.

I really hope this happens. This would be fantastic for P1 and ALMS.
In what way is the LMS a mess? You do realise that they are likely to recieve 65-70 entries for next year, of which they will have to turn down about 20-30.

I bet the ALMS wishes it could get 14 LMP1 cars. ;)

harvick#1
25th November 2007, 17:42
well Peugeot really did make the LMS look pitiful, when they are 3 seconds a lap faster on every track, the other teams would feel like they've been cheated.

but in ALMS, Acura and Porsche should have to go to P1, that way, P2 can go back to the privateers running for class wins like BK Motorsports, Intersport, Autocon, Cytosport. that way Porsche, Acura, Dyson, and Audi can run for overall wins in P1.

GT1, well thats a lost cause in both series, while GT2 seems to be the big place to run.

Jag_Warrior
25th November 2007, 20:34
In what way is the LMS a mess? You do realise that they are likely to recieve 65-70 entries for next year, of which they will have to turn down about 20-30.

I bet the ALMS wishes it could get 14 LMP1 cars. ;)

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy LMS as much as ALMS (from what little coverage Speed gives it). But that's the impression I got from recent articles I've read, including the following:
http://sportscaranalytics.com/?p=290

Other articles pointed to the short schedule and lack of spectator and TV audience support. But I still enjoy CCWS too... and I don't deny that it's pretty screwed up as well. ;)

Sleeper
27th November 2007, 01:23
The problems with the rules (LMP2 is too light, Diesles too powerful) is the same in both series, but oversubscribed grides from a lot of professionel teams shows just how healthy the series is, and GT1 is only in trouble in the LMS because FIA GT is so strong.

As for the short calender, the series is built up around the classic events of yesteryear in Europe, plus one extra. I would like to see a longer series but I think thats some way off yet.

Tom206wrc
30th November 2007, 15:19
AUDI had a press conference today at the Essen Motorshow(Germany), and they OFFICIALLY announced full presence at LMS + ALMS next year !!!! :bounce: :bounce:

I can't wait for Peugeot's answer now(hope next week if not sooner) :D

Sleeper
30th November 2007, 22:02
Best news so far.

samehere
5th December 2007, 10:54
Hi,

Interesting rumour in Autosprint(italian motorsport magazine) and Auto-Hebdo(french motorsport magazine) !!!!

Peugeot would be currently rethinking its 2008 Endurance season, and if Audi, the main contender is still running in USA only(ALMS)next year, the french team could live 2008 LMS as official factory team !!!!

The idea for them would be to engage two factory 908s HDI in ALMS and one private 908 in LMS(to keep minimum presence in Europe) !!! :eek:

In this case the private team which would run the third 908 in Europe would be Czech Charouz team(with Jan Charouz and Steffan Mücke)...

Only rumour I insist, but interesting though ;)

according to what i have heard charouz should be in talks with ZYTEK...so forget 908....welcome Zyket - Charouz...but it would be best to say but bye bye charouz...

Tom206wrc
9th January 2008, 18:00
Great news !!!! :D :D :D

It looks like there will be a 908 during the ALMS Sebring winter tests !! :bounce:

http://www.americanlemans.com/assets/pdfs/2008WinterTestEntries.pdf

Tom206wrc
13th August 2008, 11:24
Peugeot is already believed to be only going to the major events next year, Sebring, Petit, and maybe Laguna Seca. never heard of anything for a full season, but would be great if true

This thread wasn't completely wrong in rumours !!!! :D

In today Auto-Hebdo magazine, Michel Barge says they will take part to the PLM/Road Atlanta ALMS round(start october)with two 908s and six drivers !!!! :up:

Scuderia ferrari
13th August 2008, 15:00
Hi,

From Mariantic:
Charouz have a 2nd Lola coupe on order -(at least 2 on backorder now or is it 3?)
Sources:
http://www.projectlemans.de/content/view/4488/172/
Roughly translated:
"Sports car fans may be happy, Lola has two more of his LMP Coupes can sell. Another LMP1 B08/60 goes to Charouz Racing System / Aston Martin Racing, was also another copy of the picturesque B08/80 LMP2 Coupes sold. The buyer of the LMP2 Lola Coupes are not yet price, nor when the two Coupes be extradited and your final destination. Radio paddock place concerning meanwhile one of the Coupes this season in Europe will race"
http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/news/news286/286.htm
http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2760&Itemid=1
Roughly translated:
"Promising news, there were at the edge of the 24 Hours of Le Mans also in terms of the 2008 ALMS team. How could it be that the field of the LMP in North America before the end of the season with three cars grows.

The first concerns the News Cytos Port team, in the first Le Mans race with their Lola-Judd with B07/17-LMP1 drive went. The former Lola B06/10 AER, according to Greg Pickett now been sold: "The old cars, we have just sold to Intersport. They plan in the next few runs only two cars," gave us 61 years with the oldest post-war pilot of the LM-field price .

Lola came from the confirmation that the sale of the closed three other prototypes in the next few weeks may be announced as soon as the final sums of money to accounts in Hundington landed. Two of the new customers will be provided from the U.S.. A Lola will be in Europe this season are used. Despite the rumors that a team that currently chassis with its war on foot is considered also in the list of Lola-to customers."

Interesting news anyway, i personally don't believe that part of the rumour had any truth in it. And with the new rules meaning Diesel and Petrol equalisation next year, and the promising debut of the Lola Coupes this year, why would Charouz want to change? It would be yet another new car they would have hard work trying to set up and so on, even if Peugeot gave them some help.

Why would Peugeot sell a private 908 anyway? Audi won't sell a R10 to any privateers, so i can presume it would be the same for Peugeot:
From Mariantic and another forum:
Van Merksteijn & Team Essex asked for cars for 2009 & 2008 (both amply capable of affording them) respectively but were refused - little chance of private cars appearing...
"Without a major sponsor there's only a small chance Van Merksteijn will return with the Porsche RS Spyder in 2009.They had only one ambition and that was winning LMP2 class at Le Mans. They have asked Audi if a Audi R10 was possible but the German manufacturer has no capacity to supply a car. Van Merksteijn Motorsport will probably enter WRC next season. Source: Start magazine

This is not really a surprise for me. Peter van Merksteijn is more a rally racer than a circuit racer. Besides that his son is a talented rally driver. This season Van Merksteijn Sr and Jr driving both a Ford Focus WRC. In contrast to the RS Spyder (Equipe Verschuur) they run the rallycars by themself (VM Motorsport). It's rumoured they want semi-factory Ford Focus WRC cars for next season."

From one of those articles, let's figure this out. It says that a Lola Coupe has been sold to the U.S, and i presume that that will be the B-K car. I could presume the 2nd Lola will go to Sebah/Speedy again, or ASM. From Planet Le Mans:
"Portuguese motorsport news web portal sportmotores.com goes even further and affirm that the new ASM LMP2 will be a choice between the Zytek 07s and the Lola B08/80 coupe."

And with one more being sold to Charouz apparently, along with this year's car, i could presume Charouz to have 2 Lola Coupes next year.

harvick#1
13th August 2008, 15:44
Petit is gonna be a great race.

I can't wait, Peugeot back in the states, BK getting the new Lola Coupe, Liz Halliday will be back in a Creation.

Tom206wrc
15th August 2008, 17:15
OFFICIAL, Peugeot at PLM with two cars and six drivers(Lamy, Sarrazin, Wurz, Gene, Minassian, Klien) :up:

Article in french on Endurance-Info(from today press conference at the Nürburgring)...

F1boat
15th August 2008, 22:57
So Pug will race full season in ALMS?

Tom206wrc
16th August 2008, 08:34
So Pug will race full season in ALMS?

No, it's only to prepare the 2009 24h of Le Mans ;)

But they could be at Sebring again at start 2009...

F1boat
16th August 2008, 12:39
Cool!