PDA

View Full Version : Chase Changes Coming ???

RaceFanStan
5th January 2007, 18:17
... Jim Hunter, NASCAR's vice president for corporate communications said,
the 2 biggest changes in the Chase would be
1. more points for a victory and
2. more than 10 drivers in the Chase field ...

Great News IMO !!! :D :up:

... it appears the announcement will come at the Lowe’s Motor Speedway media tour on January 22nd ...

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/16384626.htm

harvick#1
5th January 2007, 18:26
why not change the tracks they go to :rolleyes:

SOD
5th January 2007, 20:27
there'll be more points for victory and 43 drivers in the chase field.

the chase will amount to a 10 race championship :dork:

call_me_andrew
6th January 2007, 05:56
Stan excited about change? I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2007, 06:05
More points should be for all victories, not just the Chase. That is something that logically would reward people to not just cruise around looking for a good finish. I don't pay money to see my guy cruise, I pay to see him bust his tail to win the damned thing....

As for putting more drivers in the chase? why? Why bother with the Chase at all then?

call_me_andrew
9th January 2007, 21:20
why not change the tracks they go to :rolleyes:

What difference would that make?

I'm hearing 12 drivers now.

I would be happier if they just expanded it past 400 points and kept the 10 driver idea.

I'd be totally thrilled if they just did away with the whole damn thing!

Alexamateo
9th January 2007, 21:33
I'd like for them to make the points the same for 30th or 35th on back so a driver wouldn't be penalized for bad luck.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 03:14
Alex, with the points only 3 for every position from last up to 30th or something, basically the penalty is being in the back period. I don't fault the points system below 5th place, it is the top 5 that should have a 10 or 15 point spread. Make a top 5 finish REALLY worth it, and watch the hustle for guys to get in that top 5. You want to liven up some races where guys are cruising, put big points out there, and you see more gambles on fuel strategies, more radical set up ideas, more drivers pushing to make things happen.

harvick#1
10th January 2007, 22:50
I like that Idea, the top 5 should have the points more spread out, because nascar is still all about consistency, not winning races and wrecking everyother week

oldhippie
12th January 2007, 00:15
heres an idea
only the top 15 finishers get points

Old3Fan
12th January 2007, 02:59
Oldhippie has it. Only top 15 in any race get points and only 15 in final race for the championship.

Alexamateo
12th January 2007, 03:38
Alex, with the points only 3 for every position from last up to 30th or something, basically the penalty is being in the back period. I don't fault the points system below 5th place, it is the top 5 that should have a 10 or 15 point spread. Make a top 5 finish REALLY worth it, and watch the hustle for guys to get in that top 5. You want to liven up some races where guys are cruising, put big points out there, and you see more gambles on fuel strategies, more radical set up ideas, more drivers pushing to make things happen.

No problems with that, and I agree. What equal points from 30th or 35th on back will do is eliminate the guys having problems early and trying to go back out in hopes of gaining from 39th to 34th. Let 'em go home early and get 'em the next race.

oldhippie
12th January 2007, 04:25
Only top 15 in any race get points and only 15 in final race for the championship.
i like your idea better!

muggle not
15th January 2007, 14:01
Well, it seems to be decided. They will increase the number from 10 to 12 for making the chase and give another 10 points for winning a race.

I would have preferred to keep the number at 10 for the chase, if they still insist on this crazy format. I would also have preferred a little more increase for the win.

slorydn1
17th January 2007, 00:37
I'm glad they are talking about increasing the chase from 10-12, but not because of what happened to Tony Stewart Last year. Its because of what happened with Kurt Busch in 2005...He didn't race the last 3 weeks of the season and was still locked in the top 10. Remember, its still about the top 10 in NASCAR. Just being there after Richmond shouldn't guarentee you stay there at the end of the season. Now a driver will have a chance to drop out of the top 10 if 11 and 12 get hot.....

harvick#1
17th January 2007, 00:48
I still say they need to change the tracks in the chase

Alexamateo
17th January 2007, 01:04
I still say they need to change the tracks in the chase

Would you rotate all tracks on a revolving basis, or would you just change it to certain ones?

PS this would probably make a good topic.

harvick#1
17th January 2007, 03:48
revolving, every track should get a chance with Watkins Glen and Infineon or another road course always being one of the races

Mark in Oshawa
17th January 2007, 07:21
Harvick, that is too radical.

of course 15 positions for points is too radical, but I do like it....I like radical...