PDA

View Full Version : Booing as woman dies in queue

Camelopard
14th November 2007, 22:55
What is wrong with people :mad: ? Please discuss!

Is it the airlines fault for not having enough counter staff? Perhaps people are just too interested in their own lives to care about others?
There are lot's of ways to checkin for flights now with Qantas now, online, kiosks, print boarding cards at work/home, not just standing in a queue.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,23483,22762241-27977,00.html# By Robyn Ironside

QANTAS staff have been booed by frustrated passengers at Brisbane Airport after leaving their check-in counters to assist an elderly woman who collapsed and died in the long queue.

The 80-year-old woman is believed to have suffered a heart attack shortly after joining Qantas Club check-in queue on Monday morning.

Two doctors at the terminal provided medical assistance until paramedics arrived 15 minutes later but they were unable to revive her.

Julie Bignell, from the Australian Services Union, said that when staff heard of the woman's plight, two of them went to her aid but were booed when they closed their counters.

"There were only half the number of check-in points operating that morning because six staff had called in sick. The terminal was packed with about 1000 people and no one could move. The public didn't know what was going on," Ms Bignell said.

She said it was not particularly unusual for check-in staff to be booed or even spat on when they finished their shift and closed their counters during busy periods.

"The Qantas terminal at Brisbane Airport is chronically understaffed. We've been trying for two years to have staffing levels improved, but they've actually decreased," she said.

More than 90 staff had left Qantas from the domestic and international terminals since September 2006, and there were "always people off on stress leave", Ms Bignell said.

"It's extremely stressful for staff when they have such big workloads, and now they've got people dying in the queues," she said.

Curtis Davies from Qantas said the airline was employing more than 20 additional staff "to provide even better levels of service".

"We have done a great deal to improve the check-in process, including introducing online check-in and QuickCheck kiosk," said Mr Davies.

But Ms Bignell predicted waiting times at Brisbane Airport would worsen in the upcoming school holiday period.

BDunnell
14th November 2007, 23:02
People are too impatient nowadays. I include myself in that.

Drew
14th November 2007, 23:17
I'm sure the booing was due to the fact that it was a misunderstanding. I'm sure that I would have either thought about or said something if I was in a long queue and saw the staff just walking out.

millencolin
15th November 2007, 00:31
Simple... People are Jerks

But the thing is, i've flown QANTAS plenty of times and i'm a Brisbane lad... its never really been that bad. Sure you have to wait, but i've experienced worse at Sydney Airport. I think people are too preoccupied with themselves and trying to 'maximise their time'. I've flown out of Brisbane on QANTAS planes about 7 times in the last 2 years, both domestically and internationally, and its really not that bad! thats why people are jerks, theyre not prepared to wait around for a while, but heres some news... its an AIRPORT! most of your time spent at any airport is taken up by waiting!

It's a tradegy that this poor old gal had passed away in the line, but the true tradegy is that people have no respect for others anymore.

People are jerks

millencolin
15th November 2007, 00:33
I'm sure the booing was due to the fact that it was a misunderstanding. I'm sure that I would have either thought about or said something if I was in a long queue and saw the staff just walking out.

Not In Brisbane Airport, you can see the whole queue no matter where they stand. the people knew what was going on

gadjo_dilo
15th November 2007, 07:25
In this part of the world people, esp.the old ones, are accustomed to a good old queue. Sometimes they themselves are responsible for the queue. Staying at a queue is already an art that stimulates our creativity. The longest and the most dangereous queue is the one for tickets for the new year eve organized by the mayor of the 5th district of Bucharest. It lasts a few days and nights and it always ends with scandals. :laugh:

The sad part is that usually the oldies are dieing at the queues for their monthly medicines.

leopard
15th November 2007, 07:47
I got new friends from the queue and intensified talk with travel mates, subsequently visit her in the next Saturday night. I used to do it when I was young although I can't categorize that now I am old :)

leopard
15th November 2007, 08:59
I mean, if I had the right chance I would do that again :laugh:

Wasn't there standard regulation in Australia that child/old below/over than x years of age must have family accompanied them when traveling?

Camelopard
15th November 2007, 21:28
I honestly thought this story would create more discussion than it has. :confused:

bowler
16th November 2007, 02:49
they were standing in the queue

Dave B
16th November 2007, 08:18
Around London all the major airports are operated by BAA who are the textbook example of putting profit before service. If this had happenned at Heathrow the poor old dear would probably have been charged a supplement. :s

SEATFreak
16th November 2007, 08:47
People are too impatient nowadays.

I have never flown before or even darkened an airport (apart from a Secondary school field trip to Newcastle International and to see my Grandfather go back to Holland when I first saw him). So I cannot talk about the work ethic of the airlines like Quantas.

Though I am a fan of Airport and Arline, the two fly-on-the-wall documentaries on TV, I don't think I am quite qualified to talk about peoples attitude when at check-in points, but I have more diplomas from the School of Social Attitude than you can shake a stick at. And my only shock is that it has taken you all so long to see the true face of modern society.

When it comes to 'needs' people do seem to be so absorbed in the importance of doing it, if anyone hampers their efforts, irrespective of the reason, they seem to get extremely impatient and angry so easily. :(

Camelopard
16th November 2007, 09:26
Unfortunately I think you are right with your comments.

Having watched a couple of Airline and Airport type shows recently, I was thinking that perhaps some people 'behave badly' because they are being filmed for a TV show.
Just recently I read an article about bus drivers in Sydney being issued with kits so that they can collect saliva from people who have spat at them for later DNA analasys. I mean so your bus is late, does that justify you spitting at someone?

Dave B
16th November 2007, 13:39
At Gatwick I recently marvelled at an old dear remonstrating quite loudly with an armed policeman because her Easyjet flight was delayed.

My mumbled suggestion of "shoot her in the foot" didn't go down well.... :\