PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Era in F1

brudan
5th January 2007, 18:47
I vote for the '60s. There were some truely great drivers among them Clark, Gurney, Moss, G.Hill. Some great cars, Cooper, Lotus, Ferrari, BRM, Brabham, Westlake Eagle. At any given race any driver could win. As a side bar, would Gurney have been world champ in '66 had he decided to remain with Brabham instead of forming his own team?

sonic_roadhog
5th January 2007, 21:03
I guess as I started following F1 in the 80's that decade would get my vote. The rise and fall of the turbo's. Senna, Prost, Piquet, Mansell all winning many GP's, some great cars and good racing.

Sonic :)

Ranger
6th January 2007, 00:02
As a side bar, would Gurney have been world champ in '66 had he decided to remain with Brabham instead of forming his own team?

I'd say yes - Brabham himself wasn't the most flash of drivers.

Based on all I've seen, I'd say about '86-'91 - The first season I completely followed and paid full attention to, however, was 2006.

nik
6th January 2007, 01:50
The late 80s, early 90s for me.

Senna, Mansell, Piquet, Prost, Berger, Patrese, Brabham, Renault, turbo's, Footwork, Lotus and all the small teams run about 4 men.

syameese
11th January 2007, 10:34
The 60's for me, probably because that was when I first became interested in F1 and it was the era of Jim Clark. Dan Gurney in 1966??, imo a definite yes. The Repco Brabham was the class of the field and Gurney was, according to comments attributed to Jim Clark's father, the only driver JC "feared".

Almost equal ... the 80's - Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell - need i say more. Great competitive drivers in machinery that was different enough to provide swings and roundabouts, proper qualifying and 4 days of proper on track action.

futuretiger9
14th January 2007, 10:55
I would say the period 1970-1977. Packed grids, incredibly close competition, charismatic drivers, good circuits, diverse and interesting machinery.

The Cosworth engine was now widely available, and with the advent of sponsorship, it was relatively easy to have a go at F1.

ShiftingGears
14th January 2007, 13:52
I vote for the '60s. There were some truely great drivers among them Clark, Gurney, Moss, G.Hill. Some great cars, Cooper, Lotus, Ferrari, BRM, Brabham, Westlake Eagle. At any given race any driver could win. As a side bar, would Gurney have been world champ in '66 had he decided to remain with Brabham instead of forming his own team?

Probably, Brabhams strength was developing a race winning car, not necessarily being the fastest one to drive it. John Surtees would've been with a shot at the '66 title if he hadn't quit Ferrari due to issues with the management. If if if.