PDA

View Full Version : fans forum sponsored race

champcarjim
5th January 2007, 18:28
on the old forum i raised the idea of a fans forum sponsored race, A Few ideas were added to this , I was thinking if the powers that be had any thought of how this could happen?

I can't remember all the ideas that were added? was on old forum!

deadsquirrel
5th January 2007, 18:56
on the old forum i raised the idea of a fans forum sponsored race, A Few ideas were added to this , I was thinking if the powers that be had any thought of how this could happen?

I can't remember all the ideas that were added? was on old forum!

Whilst not being a 'power that be', I could imagine this being a LOT of work to organise.

IMHO you would need to actually take money off people in the belief you would raise enough to cover the race sponsorship, then if not enough arrived, refund all the money. People 'promising to pay' would have to be a non-starter.

I'd certainly contribute.

Abo
5th January 2007, 21:23
Do it via Paypal. People can pay on their cards then ;)

Abo
5th January 2007, 21:25

Anyway, what is the aim of sponsoring a race? Free entry for teams? Reduced costs? To make free entry for 20 drivers for one race, if last year was anything to go by, you're looking at raising about £25,000 just for the entry fees...

I reckon you'd be better off pulling together a forum race team in the vein of Skid's 'My Own Race Team' thingy, even if it's only for one or two races. If stuff like a TV deal comes off then you could look for sponsorship to pay for extra races!

Try approaching the likes of Phil Weaver, Colin White or John Steward and find out how much it'll be to hire their spare cars and then offer a freebee drive to someone like Ian McKellar Jnr, on condition that you're 'on the team'. Some of you will make pit mechanics and spotters I'm sure! Take it from me and others on the forum, the team experience rocks :)

And you'll benefit from years of oval experience in setting the car up. I'm sure Duane etc. will be very supportive of a move like this, in order to get numbers on the grid.

Just take out insurance in case something goes pear shaped and you're off...

deadsquirrel
5th January 2007, 22:48

Anyway, what is the aim of sponsoring a race?

I too thought of Paypal - but someone's going to end up paying the commission (5%?) somewhere along the line.

I believe the aim is to have 'The Fans 50' or similar (maybe http://www.motorsportforum.com forums might like to offer some money to make it the SCSA Racing Forum 50' ;)

Therefore we are only after the 'naming rights' to a race at sometime in the season.

If that is out of reach for cost, there is also the idea of a fan's tyre fund, where fans can contribute together to buy tyre(s) for struggling racers.

All good ideas, but they only work with hard cash support :(

Reynard
5th January 2007, 22:56
Another option is to sponsor the trophies for each race.

It is quite a common thing in the Cat Fancy for companies or individuals to sponsor the rosettes and awards for classes in the show, and I think it is something that we could adapt to SCSA.

I for one, was a bit disappointed to see only the winner of each race get a trophy last year. A bunch of flowers for the other places somehow doesn't quite hack it...

LessThanSte
5th January 2007, 23:11

Anyway, what is the aim of sponsoring a race? Free entry for teams? Reduced costs? To make free entry for 20 drivers for one race, if last year was anything to go by, you're looking at raising about £25,000 just for the entry fees...

I reckon you'd be better off pulling together a forum race team in the vein of Skid's 'My Own Race Team' thingy, even if it's only for one or two races. If stuff like a TV deal comes off then you could look for sponsorship to pay for extra races!

Try approaching the likes of Phil Weaver, Colin White or John Steward and find out how much it'll be to hire their spare cars and then offer a freebee drive to someone like Ian McKellar Jnr, on condition that you're 'on the team'. Some of you will make pit mechanics and spotters I'm sure! Take it from me and others on the forum, the team experience rocks :)

And you'll benefit from years of oval experience in setting the car up. I'm sure Duane etc. will be very supportive of a move like this, in order to get numbers on the grid.

Just take out insurance in case something goes pear shaped and you're off...

If we do that, im driving :P

hicksy
6th January 2007, 02:10
I wanna drive ... and I am Colin White!!

Tiesse
7th January 2007, 19:15
I'm Colin White.....& so's my wife!

JDPower
8th January 2007, 04:23
Do it via Paypal
A joke I hope

Abo
8th January 2007, 12:17
A joke I hope

Not at all. The 'save Enterprise' money raiser from a couple of years ago seemed an easy way to gather the money and (since it was unsuccessful) made refunding everyone straightforward.

They are dicks though

JDPower
8th January 2007, 18:01
Not at all. The 'save Enterprise' money raiser from a couple of years ago seemed an easy way to gather the money and (since it was unsuccessful) made refunding everyone straightforward.
I wouldn't trust Paypal with 20p, let alone anything more.

racingrivalsDOT
12th January 2007, 19:04
If you are serios about getting involved with a team, nominate somebody who can be the spokesperson and get in touch. We have small spaces on the car available, and better still all proceeds go to charity. Also, it means you don't have to raise thirty thousand pounds to run the car.

We are looking to raise £3000 per race for charity with the advertising space we have available. If you get 30 people to pay £100 each round for the five rounds, we will give you each a pair of hospitality tickets for our pitlane hospitality unit, which is where all the team briefings etc will take place plus the space on the car. I'm sure we could throw in a cap and fleece for each member and their guest etc too.

Dave17
12th January 2007, 21:49
..... we will give you each a pair of hospitality tickets for our pitlane hospitality unit,

Dangerous place to have a hospitality unit....

racingrivalsDOT
12th January 2007, 22:08
Sorry, replace PIT LANE with PADDOCK :-)