PDA

View Full Version : name Hector

Rudy Tamasz
11th November 2007, 22:09
Hello dear forummates! My son was born on Nov 9 but still lives without a name. We want to name him Hector after the Trojan hero who was a brave and noble man. My parents are neutral, in-laws are furious (provincial folks, y'know). ;) The potential namesakes are Hector Berlioz, a French composer, Hector "Tico" Torrez, Bon Jovi drummer, Hector Rebacque, a former Mexican F1 & Champ Car driver and Hector Barbossa, the pirate captain from "The Pirates of the Carribean". What do you think, would it be a good name? Any particularly good/bad associations? Please hurry up with your opinions, we are about to decide it on Monday!

Daniel
11th November 2007, 22:12
Congratulations on the son :) Hector sounds like a fine name. Choose that :)

Drew
11th November 2007, 22:19
How would the name Hector be received in Belarus, especially in Cyrillic writing?

Anyhow, congratulations on the baby!

Rudy Tamasz
12th November 2007, 11:57
Thanks for congrats, my friends. Hector is an international name and it is not unknown in Belarus, either. Hey, except watching the movies we read "Ilyad", too! :) It sounds quite similar in our language(s). It is Hektar in Belarusian and Gektor in Russian. Not too different, really. It's just pretty rare in our part of the world. In-laws argue that kids wil be giving him a hard time with such a name, but they are really concerned that it sounds too hard. To me it sounds manly with four consonants. In the end of the day they think about playing with the baby and I think about growing him up. Well, we'll see.

gadjo_dilo
12th November 2007, 12:13
Congratulations!!!!!
The name is interesting but in my country it's sometimes associated with dogs. In my opinion it's too serious and it's possible for the kid to be embarassed. I have the same problem with my name. Can't you have 2 names? I mean Hector + something more common.

GridGirl
12th November 2007, 13:06
Hector is a nice name but I would have to say that it reminds me of the character in Bridget Jones Diary when I hear it. :)

If your in-laws dont like the name maybe you could just use it as a middle name.

sal
12th November 2007, 16:30
My cat hasnt had any problems after we named him Hector so go ahead!

fandango
12th November 2007, 17:08
Congratulations. If you want to call him Hector then that's fine. Having a difficult name isn't really a problem for kids (within reason). My kids both have names that are foreign here in Catalonia and they get on fine.

Eki
12th November 2007, 18:55
Congratulations.

There's a Finnish singer who uses Hector as his stage name:

http://www.demari.fi/edrum/uploaded/image/2006/1/12/hector4.jpg

Erki
12th November 2007, 21:09
Hector is cool. :)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/HectorGarcia.png

jso1985
12th November 2007, 22:48
Hector sounds fine to me :)

as longs as you don't name your kids with stupid made up names like "superman" I don't think they'll have any problem.

J4MIE
12th November 2007, 23:03
Congratulations :up:

Go with what you want to call him. Both of my parents are known by their middle name and I've never really been able to figure out exactly why :s

But, if you're still looking for ideas, how about Batman? ;)

Curryhead
13th November 2007, 00:42
congratulations Rudy, Hector sounds good to me :up:

Roamy
13th November 2007, 05:23
Name him Pablo after a great Colombian who lived life to the fullest!!

Thor
13th November 2007, 21:32
congratulations Rudy, Hector sounds good to me :up:

Hektor with k sounds better to me

leopard
14th November 2007, 02:19
I kinda involve etymology on giving my kid name.

I wanted to use racing term for my daughter name like: maghnirelly, aurellya, etc, but her mom rejected it. Then I used a driver name Camara from James Camara, combined with sanskrit Rasendrya whose mean having sixth sense. Luckily Camara is a related Arabic which means moon.

Just a small tips, Congratulations.

Magnus
14th November 2007, 05:36
Hector is just fine, otherways you can use the epic name Mgnus which always have a certain touch to it :)
Congrats on your baby, I´ve been a father of Ingrid now for ten years... time flyes ore something

leopard
14th November 2007, 07:47
I didn't even expect that Vieri would use the same Bobo, and Leopard came to the fame and offers more features. :)

gadjo_dilo
14th November 2007, 08:22
Please hurry up with your opinions, we are about to decide it on Monday!
It's Wednesday. What did you decide?

Rudy Tamasz
15th November 2007, 19:01
Thanks for your qualified opinions, my friends. After a protracted fight with in-laws who lost some points in my eyes, we went for Dzmitry, which is a more conventional name in Belarus. Still, reading "Ilyad" will be a must for the Junior. :)

Fousto, Juan Pablo would be better, wouldn't it? ;)

gadjo_dilo
16th November 2007, 07:16
Thanks for your qualified opinions, my friends. After a protracted fight with in-laws who lost some points in my eyes, we went for Dzmitry, which is a more conventional name in Belarus. Still, reading "Ilyad" will be a must for the Junior. :)

I'm sorry, in my country a name like Dzmitry is TOO conventional and it's avoided cos it automatically generates the diminutive Mitica.
But as a consolation, when your son will grow up and get married you'll be a modern in-law and accept names from Ilyad.
Just imagine that your son will also enjoy Ilyad and you'll have grandsons with names like Paris, Agamemnon, Achile, Cassandra, Hecuba, Clitemnestra, etc.

leopard
16th November 2007, 07:27
Just imagine that your son will also enjoy Ilyad and you'll have grandsons with names like Paris, Agamemnon, Achile, Cassandra, Hecuba, Clitemnestra, etc.
Cassandra, doesn't this mean janitor? I wish to pick this name before knowing the mean, it sounds cool though.

gadjo_dilo
16th November 2007, 07:55
Cassandra, doesn't this mean janitor? I wish to pick this name before knowing the mean, it sounds cool though.

They say that in greek it means "she who entangles men ". I knew a few women with this name. Maybe because a book called " legends of Olympus " was very popular here.
I also have relatives with name like Achile and Paris. Maybe because I belong to an ethnic that developed in the northern Greece.

janneppi
16th November 2007, 08:19
I kinda involve etymology on giving my kid name.

I wanted to use racing term for my daughter name like: maghnirelly, aurellya, etc, but her mom rejected it. Then I used a driver name Camara from James Camara, combined with sanskrit Rasendrya whose mean having sixth sense. Luckily Camara is a related Arabic which means moon.

When thinking of a name for your kid, remember also what they have to go through at the age of 15, while it might be something you think is a good name, the little rascal might not enjoy having "center differential" or "re-fueling rig" as their name. :p :

leopard
16th November 2007, 08:31
They say that in greek it means "she who entangles men ". I knew a few women with this name. Maybe because a book called " legends of Olympus " was very popular here.

I think Cassandra has good definition. Sandra also has good meaning as helper of humanity, which extremely translated as janitor on book I read at that time.

It also failed with this observation.
'Cassandra [noun]
A prophet of misfortune or disaster: doomsayer, pessimist, worrywart. See hope/despair.'

I really wanted to use the above name, finally I choosed sanskrit Rasendrya, and Sendy as nick name.

leopard
16th November 2007, 08:35
When thinking of a name for your kid, remember also what they have to go through at the age of 15, while it might be something you think is a good name, the little rascal might not enjoy having "center differential" or "re-fueling rig" as their name. :p :
Honestly 'Fisichella' was one of the surname choices, but it didn't cross in my mind for Raiko... or Kova... ;)

gadjo_dilo
16th November 2007, 09:08
It also failed with this observation.
'Cassandra [noun]
A prophet of misfortune or disaster: doomsayer, pessimist, worrywart. See hope/despair.'

It's related to the Cassandra of Ilyad. The character had the gift of prophecy and she anticipated th disaster of Troy.