PDA

View Full Version : New York

306 Cosworth
11th November 2007, 22:04
Right then i'm going to New York in the last week of February next year :D with the college and was wondering what the best parts are and what the best parts to avoid are. Also how much is say a meal out in a restaurant?

Can't wait :D Just hope it's upto my expectations!

Mark
12th November 2007, 09:14
Anywhere on Manhattan south of Central Park is all good. But others will be able to advise you better.

306 Cosworth
12th November 2007, 14:54
Doesn't look like anyone else can or will Mark :p :

lilmelvschilton
12th November 2007, 15:31
i dont really know to be honest as i am going to New York in March

slinkster
12th November 2007, 16:21
I went to New York about four years ago. Definitely stop by Times Square at night to get the full spectacle and of course the Empire State building at early evening time. However, be prepared to queue for about three hours beforehand.. it's worth planning but make sure you plan well ahead to make the most of it.

I hope you have a great time!

libra65
12th November 2007, 16:56
Right then i'm going to New York in the last week of February next year :D with the college and was wondering what the best parts are and what the best parts to avoid are. Also how much is say a meal out in a restaurant?

Can't wait :D Just hope it's upto my expectations!

I have been up there on bus trips to see Broadway shows so I have only really spent time in Manhattan. We usually stop at South Street Seaport Mall which isn't far from the Financial district-very nice shops. You can also go to Rockafeller Center & ice skate outdoors. They do give tours of Radio City Music Hall although I have never taken it. There is St. Patricks Cathedral-amazing. You can probably get on a sightseeing bus to give you more ideas. Many Americans take the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island. Ellis Island is usually only popular with the American's whose families were immigrants and came thru there like mine. I am sure all the places I mentioned have websites so you can look at them further.

You may also want to go to Ground Zero-the World Trade Center site. I haven't been up there because I just can't bring myself to go thru 9/11 again. I understand that it is very moving.

I hope you have a great trip.

Drew
12th November 2007, 18:16
Wrap up well, it's gonna be freezing!

johnny shell
12th November 2007, 18:19
yeah, south of central park... somewhere near times square or the rockefellar center would be cool. I'd say for a cheap meal at a place where you order the counter you're looking at $10. for sit down service, $20 would be a starting point.

306 Cosworth
12th November 2007, 19:26
yeah, south of central park... somewhere near times square or the rockefellar center would be cool. I'd say for a cheap meal at a place where you order the counter you're looking at $10. for sit down service, $20 would be a starting point.

$20 isn't bad for starting price that's £10 over here at current rate!

Libra65 thanks for that, and pretty much all the attractions you mentioned we're going to and will all be properly organised :D We're also going to the Empire State Building which I can't wait for to see the views, hopefully it'll be a clear day when we go! We're also visiting Wall Street so if we get chance then will have to go have alook around that shopping mall you mentioned, should be great, can't wait :D :D

J4MIE
12th November 2007, 20:36
I think I remember Mak saying there was some weirdness about tipping in restaurants over there, so watch out ;)

Tomi
12th November 2007, 22:15
I think I remember Mak saying there was some weirdness about tipping in restaurants over there, so watch out ;)

True, been in quite many places, but never seen more greedy people than in ny.

306 Cosworth
13th November 2007, 08:56
I thought it was just 10% of the bill

Mark
13th November 2007, 08:58
If it is somewhere other than the likes of McDonalds then they are usually expecting a 10-15% tip. I think the usual rule is that if you pay afterward, rather than upfront, then you tip.

libra65
13th November 2007, 16:29
If it is somewhere other than the likes of McDonalds then they are usually expecting a 10-15% tip. I think the usual rule is that if you pay afterward, rather than upfront, then you tip.

I forgot that tipping varies all over the world. If you are in a fast food place where they just pass it over the counter-no tipping. If you are in a restaurant with a waiter/waitress, it is generally 15% of the bill. If you get exceptional service, you may want to go 20%. If you get lousy service, 10% or less if you want. The tipping is done after the meal when the bill comes.

I also forgot to tell you about FAO Schwartz. I think the main store is still in Manhattan. It is the biggest toy store you have ever seen. (If you saw the movie "BIG" with Tom Hanks, it is where he is dancing on the keyboard). There is also a huge Toys R Us in Times Square. I don't made me think of that.

Word of warning, there is sales tax on everything in NY. I think the rate is 8.5%.

Mark
13th November 2007, 17:10
That is another thing that will catch you by surprise. In the UK tax is always included in the sticker price. Not in America.

J4MIE
13th November 2007, 17:32
So if you have a crap meal with crap service and aren't happy (but paying because of course you're British :rolleyes: ) then you have to add 18.5% to what you were already expecting to pay? :crazy:

Mark
13th November 2007, 17:34
In that situation I would tip nothing. You are only legally required to pay the stated price even in America.

libra65
13th November 2007, 17:36
That is another thing that will catch you by surprise. In the UK tax is always included in the sticker price. Not in America.

I know, our politicians are sneaky like that ;) Every state tax rate is different & some of the larger cities are different than the rest of the state. I live near Delaware, there is no sales tax in Delaware so you go there for your bigger items like furniture or appliances. Pennsylvania is 6% but Philadelphia is 7% on the same items. They tack on the extra 1% for the city's cauffers. NYC is higher than anywhere else in the state of NY.

Mark
13th November 2007, 17:43
Even with that you still get a better deal than the uk which is 17.5% on everything except certain items like food.

johnny shell
13th November 2007, 17:59
the empire state building is wayyyyy cool. you actually get to stand outside with nothing between you & the sidewalk way down below but a railing.

food servers make their living off the tip money they get, and they're generally nice & pleasant and work hard for their money. 15% is expected for acceptable service, I usually go 20% as long as they were nice. maybe more.

ride the subways too, even if you can afford a taxi. they're fun and really part of the NYC experience.

maybe rent some movies with NYC in them too before you go.

central park is cool too.

alchohol is a fortune, as are cover charges to bars. find a 'locals' bar or restautant off the beaten path for more reasonable prices. tourist places are more.

my favorite memory is seeing Conan O'brian and David Letterman, two late night talk shows; you can get free tickets to the tapings.

Drew
13th November 2007, 19:49
Even with that you still get a better deal than the uk which is 17.5% on everything except certain items like food.

And children's clothes :p :

My friends buy them because they are so small, it's not fair :p :

libra65
13th November 2007, 19:54
the empire state building is wayyyyy cool.

central park is cool too.

Just imagine how cool it will be up there in February. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

With any luck, maybe you will get a light snowfall when you are there. It always makes a city look prettier, expecially the parks. Notice I said a LIGHT snowfall. We don't want you guys socked in and sleeping on airport floors.

johnny shell
13th November 2007, 20:18
ice skating at rockefellar plaza will be cool in february

306 Cosworth
13th November 2007, 20:22
I can't wait for the outdoor ice skating, it should be great fun :D
One question though, if I bought an Ipod over there, would it work here in the UK?

Captain VXR
14th November 2007, 17:19
have to get uk charger or plug adaptor, dont know about the software :)

Drew
14th November 2007, 17:28
I thought the Ipod was charged by USB?

L5->R5/CR
14th November 2007, 18:05
I thought it was just 10% of the bill

In the US servers are paid under the expectation that they will receive a tip on the bill of at least 20%. Most receive an hourly wage of around $3.00-4.00 (minimum wage is somewhere between $5 and 8 depending on what part of the country you are in). Unfortunately, tipping your server less than 20% is literally taking money out of their pocket since our restaurant system is screwed up.

airshifter
14th November 2007, 20:28
New York is an interesting place, see as much of it as you have time for. Going off the beaten path is just as much fun as the major tourist attractions many times. I visited once with a friend that was from the "rougher" parts of New York, but we still had fun checking things out in that area.

As for the tipping thing, I despise places that include it in the bill. As far as I'm concerned, their tip is based on their performance and service within their control.

By coincidence, tonight is a fundraiser night for my daughters elementary school. They partner with a local restaurant and a percentage of all the money from the parents of the children in the school goes to the school for project funding. The teachers act as servers, and the tip money also goes to the school.

It's a good thing I have to set an example for my daughter. In such a situation I'd often be tempted to work their tails off as a means to justify a large tip for a worthy cause. Maybe I'll have to find some middle ground instead. :D

Tomi
14th November 2007, 20:52
In the US servers are paid under the expectation that they will receive a tip on the bill of at least 20%. Most receive an hourly wage of around $3.00-4.00 (minimum wage is somewhere between $5 and 8 depending on what part of the country you are in). Unfortunately, tipping your server less than 20% is literally taking money out of their pocket since our restaurant system is screwed up.

I see this the same way, the salary should be paid by the restaurant owner, tip given for exceptionally good food and service, not as an add on to someones salary.

Mark
14th November 2007, 23:07
Wor Karen went to New York in February. She said it is the coldest she has ever been!

306 Cosworth
16th November 2007, 14:45
I thought the Ipod was charged by USB?

Yea it is unless you by an adaptor, but it should work shouldn't it, because the iTunes software is universal?!

L5->R5/CR
16th November 2007, 16:21
I see this the same way, the salary should be paid by the restaurant owner, tip given for exceptionally good food and service, not as an add on to someones salary.

But just because the system doesn't make sense doesn't mean that is how it works unfortunately.

My girlfriend's sister has been a restaurant server all of her life. In the US the restaurants are very exploitive of their workers, especially their servers. US laws allow the restaurants to include expected tips into their wages at a higher rate than most people tip. It is a very backwards system and one that screws both the server and the customer. It isn't fair to expect each customer to pay 20% extra just to cover their server's salary, but at the same time, in the current climate, if you don't, that server won't make any money.

The contrast to the European situation is very different. In the US you get in and get out at restaurants (and if you don't your server can only hope you have the decency to consumer many alcoholic beverages or realize the situation and tip even more generously). The idea for the restaurant owner/worker is to serve as many people as possible. The server needs people to get in and get out so they can have as many orders to make tips off as possible. The restaurant owner wants as many in and out as possible because the variable costs of more diners are low compared to the marginal revenue. This is part of the reason that the pay situation is structured as it is, it puts an incentive on the server to make service as fast as possible as well as as good as possible. The restaurant puts a big financial incentive to make the restaurant more money on the servers in the form of the servers having to do it to make a wage.

Someone mentioned that they dislike when restaurants include the tip in the bill. I agree, it takes the diner's ability to make a statement about their experience short of confrontation out of the equation, however, I've seen first hand a single mother try to make a living and how devastating it can be when people do not tip as the restaurant is expecting them to. Not giving a tip doesn't hurt the restaurant, it hurts the server, and that sucks.

johnny shell
16th November 2007, 17:26
I like our tipping method.

If the server's salery was included in the price of the meal, then I would HAVE to pay it.

By using the "tip IS their salery" method, if I don't like the server then BAM - I get a 20% discount on my meal!

it gives me more power and gives the servers more incentive to do a good job. servers here are among the most consistantly friendly people you'll find! :)

Tomi
16th November 2007, 17:37
I like our tipping method.

If the server's salery was included in the price of the meal, then I would HAVE to pay it.

By using the "tip IS their salery" method, if I don't like the server then BAM - I get a 20% discount on my meal!

it gives me more power and gives the servers more incentive to do a good job. servers here are among the most consistantly friendly people you'll find! :)

What if the service is good but the food crap?

L5->R5/CR
16th November 2007, 20:50

Find out what the bill will be, talk to the manager, tip your server, and if you're meal isn't comped by the management never go back.

johnny shell
16th November 2007, 21:46
if your food doesn't taste good, it's not the server's fault

but usually, just to make sure you're happy, the server will have something that's not to your liking taken off your bill completely.

tstran17_88
17th November 2007, 04:17
Go to Carnegie Deli...you won't leave hungry!
854 7th Ave....just off of 55th St.

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

tstran17_88
17th November 2007, 04:31
If you make it to Grand Central Station, which is a site in itself...they have some neat restaurants below the main concourse too.

306 Cosworth
17th November 2007, 12:55
Yep we're visiting Grand Central Station :D So lunch on that day shall be sorted then :D :up:

FrankenSchwinn
23rd November 2007, 02:13

exactly! a friend of mine went to a "new age" place where they advertised the "cracking berries tuna steak". being a fan of seafood in our great state of Maryland one would think that a new cracking berries recipe would be a tasty treat, wrong. it was "pop rocks" seared on a tuna steak. my friend got great service but the menu itself was s**t.... i think the burgers were encrusted with "milkduds"....

the problem with him not tipping is that the service in itself was good, the menu crap and the hot waitress had to strip on sunday night to feed her 8 year old son. well, that wasn't that bad afterall...... i guess i have no point. or do i?