PDA

View Full Version : Formula One Cars to have Full Cockpits?

FIA
11th November 2007, 11:46
Formula One Cars to have Full Cockpits in the Future?

Is this true?

Sleeper
11th November 2007, 15:18
What do you mean by full cockpits? If you mean a roof like a touring car then I highly doubt it, though much higher cockpit sides wouldnt surprise me.

ChrisS
11th November 2007, 15:23
Formula One cars are single seat, open cockpit, open wheel race cars. full cockpit cars will no longer be F1 cars IMHO

markabilly
11th November 2007, 16:00
Formula One Cars to have Full Cockpits in the Future?

Is this true?

Well, before all the electronic gismos and computers, there was a time when a F1 car absolutely had to have a full cockpit, because the cars did not go so well down the road when the cockpit was empty :D

inimitablestoo
12th November 2007, 12:05
Full cockpit definition: The drivers will have to race with their salary in the cockpit acting as a sort of ballast ;) It's both an equivalency measure and a way of keeping costs down (employ a cheaper driver, get a lighter car...).

ioan
12th November 2007, 12:31
Full cockpit definition: The drivers will have to race with their salary in the cockpit acting as a sort of ballast ;) It's both an equivalency measure and a way of keeping costs down (employ a cheaper driver, get a lighter car...).

You forgot to mention if the salary will have to be a check, bills or coins! :D

SGWilko
12th November 2007, 12:42
You forgot to mention if the salary will have to be a check, bills or coins! :D

Pay 'em in gold bars, that way racers can be referred to as having 'golden balls'

(I'll get my coat.....) :D

rohanweb
12th November 2007, 14:33
nope cost cutting plan should be based on each race performance..
so if the mechanics failed to deliver they will get paycut for that gp.
if a driver make a silly mistake then he wont get pay for the race..

if you get knocked off the track by a slower cars then they get penalised by the Max.
also each engine must last for 5 races!

good

BeeJ_UK
12th November 2007, 16:11
This sounds more like the new LeMans rules for what ever they will call LMP1. The ACO want the cars to look more like road going sports cars (coupe).

Azumanga Davo
13th November 2007, 03:24
This sounds more like the new LeMans rules for what ever they will call LMP1. The ACO want the cars to look more like road going sports cars (coupe).

Yeah, just like the Peugeot 908 and it's road-going counterpar... hey, wait a sec... :D

ShiftingGears
13th November 2007, 04:22
Formula One cars are single seat, open cockpit, open wheel race cars. full cockpit cars will no longer be F1 cars IMHO

Well there has been F1 cars that weren't open-wheeled...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/images/2000amelia/fangio1.jpg

Though I really think that if drivers don't want to put up with the obvious risks of driving an open-wheel racing car, they shouldn't be racing them!

Ranger
13th November 2007, 05:02
They'll have higher cockpit sides in '08. No full cockpits though (for now?)

wmcot
13th November 2007, 06:56
A fully-enclosed cockpit on a single-seat F1 car would certainly look odd!

tsarcasm
15th November 2007, 04:31
like a fighter jet canopy/bubble