PDA

View Full Version : Prodrive

VX_Rules
8th November 2007, 18:27
We know that they're going to have Mclaren bought cars, but what else information is there. Do we know what drivers they're having, or anything else?!

janneppi
8th November 2007, 19:19
What we know is that Prodrive won't have a functioning F1 team on the grid.

wmcot
8th November 2007, 19:27

It is still possible - after all, the car and engine are built for you. You just need to hire a couple of drivers and some people to change tires and fuel the car and there you go...

N. Jones
8th November 2007, 19:31

:laugh:

Seriously though, janneppi is right. The teams could not agree on a new Concord Agreement so they re-signed the old one for another year and it does not have a provision in it for customers cars (of which Pro Drive was going to become). So they will not be on the grid next year unless some change is made to the rules.

DazzlaF1
8th November 2007, 21:00
:laugh:

Seriously though, janneppi is right. The teams could not agree on a new Concord Agreement so they re-signed the old one for another year and it does not have a provision in it for customers cars (of which Pro Drive was going to become). So they will not be on the grid next year unless some change is made to the rules.

Aye, i for one would love to see 24 cars on the grid next season, im sure Prodrive will eventually have the capability to produce their own car in the near future. So allowing them to use customer cars for one season would'nt do much harm in my opinion

passmeatissue
8th November 2007, 21:29
I think the big objection is that Prodrive were going to take the brand new 2008 McLaren drawings and make the parts in their own facilities. It would be like having 4 McLarens on the grid - a "superteam".

It would only have cost them about $75m a year, but they'd have had a $500m car.

Valve Bounce
8th November 2007, 22:07
I think teams like Williams will continue to balk at the idea of teams running customer cars. It takes a lot less money to set up a customer car team, and this will men that a team like Williams will have their intrinsic value significantly lowered.

For instance, if a team had to build their own cars, anyone wanting to buy into a good team like Williams will have to pay over 500 million to race an competitive car developed by the team.

As passmeatissue (God, couldn't you have chosen a shorter nick ) has stated, they would cost around 75 million to set up a team to do the work of racing. The cars are already tested, developed, whatever.

passmeatissue
8th November 2007, 22:44
I think teams like Williams will continue to balk at the idea of teams running customer cars. It takes a lot less money to set up a customer car team, and this will men that a team like Williams will have their intrinsic value significantly lowered.

For instance, if a team had to build their own cars, anyone wanting to buy into a good team like Williams will have to pay over 500 million to race an competitive car developed by the team.

As passmeatissue (God, couldn't you have chosen a shorter nick ) has stated, they would cost around 75 million to set up a team to do the work of racing. The cars are already tested, developed, whatever.

I have to defend myself against this slur, my name is only 1 char longer than yours :bigcry: :bigcry:. However...

Like us The Bernster has pronounced it unfair so I am inclined to think that's it for the whole plan. Dave Richards wouldn't be interested in an old car and as you say he can't resource his own new one.

What I am wondering is whether Ross Brawn is going to appear in the vacant 12th slot. Bernie mentioned a couple of manufacturers showing interest, and this opportunity may not come up again for a while. Ross is only interested in running a team, and with Ferrari out of the picture he won't find it easy to oust an incumbent - either they have control and love doing it, or the power men are out of reach in Tokyo.

Audi?