PDA

View Full Version : Alonso was 'Fired' and threatened with Legal action by Mclaren

rohanweb
8th November 2007, 09:15
Nov.5 (GMM) Norbert Haug has refused to deny suggestions that Fernando Alonso was actually fired and threatened with legal action by McLaren-Mercedes.

In its media announcement last Friday, the Woking based outfit described the Spaniard's departure after an acrimonious single season as a "mutual parting of ways".

But despite widespread reports this year that Alonso was unhappy at McLaren, it is rumoured that the 26-year-old's 2008 contract was simply terminated by the team due to breaches by Alonso this year.

It has also been suggested that he has been warned by McLaren officials that he risks legal action should he continue to malign Ron Dennis' team in subsequent musings to the press.

Haug, who is Mercedes' competition chief, would not confirm the reports at the weekend at the 'Stars and Cars' event in Stuttgart.

But he said: "I will not say whether or not everything that occurred in the past was right or not."

Haug, 54, also revealed that Alonso has agreed to conform with a separation agreement.

Written: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:37:14

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1194255434/formula_one/F1headlines/Was-Alonso-fired/view.html

No wonder sort of damages FA has done to the Mclaren team.. after morale and common sense every one can take is ' dont bully' the employer who gave you a job & paid you!!!

Mclaren should take him to court..

Ranger
8th November 2007, 09:18

Why bother? :rolleyes:

Edit: This thread title is also misleading.

ArrowsFA1
8th November 2007, 09:27
Norbert Haug has refused to deny...
Oh well, that obviously means Alonso was 'Fired' and threatened with Legal action by Mclaren :rolleyes:

You've got to love the way the media present their stories :dozey:

SteveA
8th November 2007, 09:55
Ooh! This sounds like constructive dismissal...

Valve Bounce
8th November 2007, 11:14
The press release by both parties was so beautiful and loving that I could hear the Stradivarious playing in the background. :rolleyes:
I don't think anyone here believed a single word of the co-ordinated press releases by the two parties when the announcement was made. I really loved the part where Alonso had to say that he believed he was treated equally and fairly by McLaren. Even if he knew he was, why on earth would he have said that?

Tazio
8th November 2007, 11:31
No wonder sort of damages FA has done to the Mclaren team.. after morale and common sense every one can take is ' dont bully' the employer who gave you a job & paid you!!!

The irrelevance of this article is only exceeded by
its irrelevance as a meaningful forum thread
Your interpretation and opinion is very poorly presented,
and lacks basic insight into the propriety of the subject matter. IMHO

markabilly
8th November 2007, 13:48
Regardless of who publicly claims this or that who did what, that statement was something hammerred out by lawyers, and did not happen in one Friday afternoon and the same thing is true of the seperation agreement--my guess it was done well before the Brazil GP or discussions begun much earlier, explaining many of the pro-mac statemtns coming out of FA--It is mostly Mac trying to save face, with FA getting what he clearly wanted, a free release. In return, he talks about how fairly and equally he was treated and other pro-mac PR

Now if RD (or Mercedes) can not help himself, and just has to run off his mouth to satisfy his ego.....then that party may be in violation of the seperation agreement. In any event, until FA feels he is safely down the road with his new team, will anything ever pop out about how he really feels

Roamy
8th November 2007, 15:35
life in Anillo del toro's is just wonderful - keeps out some of the bo

Storm
8th November 2007, 17:16
Oh well, that obviously means Alonso was 'Fired' and threatened with Legal action by Mclaren :rolleyes:

You've got to love the way the media present their stories :dozey:
and some so called fans as well....

Mysterious Rock
8th November 2007, 17:17

Not to get too tecnical, but you have to be in employment for over a year to be entitled to Employee Relations Laws to cover you, they could have let Alonso go with no fear of repercussion, it is also probably fair to say that as with Juan Pablo, they have more than likely clauses so if deflamation of the team is a dismissal offence as such

wmcot
8th November 2007, 19:57
Just for clarification - as it was brought out in Pedro de la Rosa's statement to the FIA, drivers are not "employees" of a team but rather like "sub-contractors." They are paid to drive, but they are not technically team employees like tire changers, designers, etc.

Then, technically, wouldn't Alonso's contract simply have been canceled since the team couldn't "fire" him in the normal sense?

(On a different note, I believe that FA's contract breach was due to his lack of wearing the team-approved haircut!) ;)

grantb4
8th November 2007, 23:14
They need to "fire" PDLR too for his part in the scandal.

leopard
9th November 2007, 03:57
to avoid destructive life ...

Ari
9th November 2007, 05:31
Do us all a favour Nando.... jump in another car next year and spank McLaren as hard as you can!!!!

McLaren have done themselves absolutely no favours this year in the way they have gone about the track thinking they're bigger than the sport. McLaren were the biggest joke out there.... and that's saying something considering Hondas wonderful performance 2007!! :p

Ari
9th November 2007, 05:32
Hmmm I seem to talk a lot of negative on here,... sorry, this place just seems to be my McLaren output centre.

One thing positive I will say is that it's been a forget-me-not year! :D

Roamy
9th November 2007, 05:44
well this is a good year RD got thrashed to the max well deserved by this arrogant MF. He had it all in the bag and then walks away with a 100 mil fine and a bat up his ass. Next up Mario Thesien - He needs the Ron Dennis bat next year!!

Tazio
9th November 2007, 05:48
Do us all a favour Nando.... jump in another car next year and spank McLaren as hard as you can!!!!

:p Will not be an easy task for Fred! Although he will be sufficently motivated.

ShiftingGears
9th November 2007, 07:06
Will not be an easy task for Fred! Although he will be sufficently motivated.

Definitely, he seems to thrive on adversities motivating him - lucky he's good at creating them. Kinda like another ex-world champion.

ioan
9th November 2007, 11:46
Definitely, he seems to thrive on adversities motivating him - lucky he's good at creating them. Kinda like another ex-world champion.

What's an ex-world champion? A champions stripped of his titles?

All those who won a championship are champions for ever, unless their titles are taken away.

Having a new champion after every championship doesn't make the previous champion an ex-champion.

Just wanted to point this out.

SteveA
9th November 2007, 12:16
It would be interesting if it did work like that though - every year you DON'T win the WDC, you get one taken away. It would stop drivers hanging around too long after their sell-by date!

Daniel
9th November 2007, 12:21
What's an ex-world champion? A champions stripped of his titles?

All those who won a championship are champions for ever, unless their titles are taken away.

Having a new champion after every championship doesn't make the previous champion an ex-champion.

Just wanted to point this out.
You are an ex world champion if you are not the current world champion :) Hope that clears it up :)

tinchote
9th November 2007, 12:44
Man, aren't we discussing subtle things ;) :D

SGWilko
9th November 2007, 12:56
You are an ex world champion if you are not the current world champion :) Hope that clears it up :)

Nope. If you win the 2007 WDC, you will forever be the 2007 drivers world champion.

If you become the ex 2007 world champion, that must mean you have been stripped of your title.

Alain Prost is STILL the 1993 World Champion.

If that does not clear it up, then nothing is likely to.

Daniel
9th November 2007, 13:02
Nope. If you win the 2007 WDC, you will forever be the 2007 drivers world champion.

If you become the ex 2007 world champion, that must mean you have been stripped of your title.

Alain Prost is STILL the 1993 World Champion.

If that does not clear it up, then nothing is likely to.
You're being pedantic..... When you say F1 World Champion today you are talking about Kimi. If Lewis wins next year then Kimi will become the Kimi becomes an ex champion.

For instance McRae is called an ex WRC champion in this article.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22426803-5012831,00.html

This use of the prefix is completely correct use of English.

When you call someone an ex-<insert term> doesn't mean they were never <insert term>

I have an ex girlfriend..... doesn't mean she was never my girlfriend. Just means she is no longer my girlfriend.

If that doesn't clear it up......

markabilly
9th November 2007, 13:38
You're being pedantic..... When you say F1 World Champion today you are talking about Kimi. If Lewis wins next year then Kimi will become the Kimi becomes an ex champion.

For instance McRae is called an ex WRC champion in this article.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22426803-5012831,00.html

This use of the prefix is completely correct use of English.

When you call someone an ex-<insert term> doesn't mean they were never <insert term>

I have an ex girlfriend..... doesn't mean she was never my girlfriend. Just means she is no longer my girlfriend.

And just who are you to lecture on language, you can not even get past themeats's user surname correct!!!

besides ex-means outside, and if he was 1993 champ and he is 1993 champ as long as he is not stripped of the 1993 champ title and he can he be the outside 1993 champ anyway.......of course I understand about girl friends, as there are inside girls and outside girls....

SGWilko
9th November 2007, 13:50
no longer my girlfriend.

I think you have used the incorrect analogy, and you've lost what point you were attempting to make.

So, now Kimi is the 2007World Champ, Nando is no longer the 2006 World Champ, is that what you are suggesting? Of course, Nando can't continue to be the CURRENT champ, because he didn't win it this time around, Kimi did.

But don't worry, this IS only a discussion after all.

Isn't it?

ArrowsFA1
9th November 2007, 13:50
When you say F1 World Champion today you are talking about Kimi. If Lewis wins next year then Kimi will become the Kimi becomes an ex champion.
Strictly speaking Kimi is not yet World Champion. He becomes such when he is presented with the WDC trophy at the FIA's end of season prize-giving.

Former, rather than ex, is perhaps a better term for previous WDC's :dozey:

Daniel
9th November 2007, 13:54
Strictly speaking Kimi is not yet World Champion. He becomes such when he is presented with the WDC trophy at the FIA's end of season prize-giving.

True :up: :) Former is probably a better way of putting it but ex is shorter and is commonly used and understood so it'll do for me when talking about non-current, former and ex-champions :p

Daniel
9th November 2007, 13:57
I think you have used the incorrect analogy, and you've lost what point you were attempting to make.

So, now Kimi is the 2007World Champ, Nando is no longer the 2006 World Champ, is that what you are suggesting? Of course, Nando can't continue to be the CURRENT champ, because he didn't win it this time around, Kimi did.

But don't worry, this IS only a discussion after all.

Isn't it?

Why are you debating an issue which doesn't exist? If you look through this thread you will see that the only one who thinks that ex-champion means that the person never was a champion is yourself. As I said refer to my ex-girlfriend/girlfriend example for a common use example of the prefix "ex". Please don't try and cause a fight with me for something I'm not trying to say.

Thanks

Daniel

SGWilko
9th November 2007, 16:51
Why are you debating an issue which doesn't exist? If you look through this thread you will see that the only one who thinks that ex-champion means that the person never was a champion is yourself. As I said refer to my ex-girlfriend/girlfriend example for a common use example of the prefix "ex". Please don't try and cause a fight with me for something I'm not trying to say.

Thanks

Daniel

No fight here Daniel.

wmcot
10th November 2007, 08:55

Shouldn't that be the former world champion or, better yet, the past world champion. "Ex" does imply that the title has been taken away as in "ex-wife," etc.

If we determine that "ex-world champion" is the same as "former world champion" what would you call a WDC whose championship has been taken away (if that should ever occur?)

Daniel
10th November 2007, 09:16
Shouldn't that be the former world champion or, better yet, the past world champion. "Ex" does imply that the title has been taken away as in "ex-wife," etc.

If we determine that "ex-world champion" is the same as "former world champion" what would you call a WDC whose championship has been taken away (if that should ever occur?)
Never was actually a world champion?

As I said before if I had an ex wife that simply means she is no longer my current wife.

To call someone an ex girlfriend is a common use example. Doesn't mean they were never your girlfriend. Just shows that they're not your current girlfriend. Just like Fernando Alonso won't be current WDC when Kimi gets his trophy :)

BDunnell
10th November 2007, 11:03
I don't know why we're arguing about this. I think ex-world champion is a perfectly acceptable way of saying that someone was a world champion in a previous season. When I hear or read the phrase, I certainly don't think it's a reference to them having been stripped of the title. Former is better, but ex is fine by me.

ioan
10th November 2007, 11:54
I think ex-world champion is a perfectly acceptable way of saying that someone was a world champion in a previous season.

But the person is still a world champion, so can't be called ex-world champion.

BDunnell
10th November 2007, 12:06
But the person is still a world champion, so can't be called ex-world champion.

As far as I'm concerned, ex is a perfectly reasonable way of meaning former in this sense.

ioan
10th November 2007, 13:42
As far as I'm concerned, ex is a perfectly reasonable way of meaning former in this sense.

Why not simply say "former" instead of meaning it using "ex"?

BDunnell
10th November 2007, 15:38
Why not simply say "former" instead of meaning it using "ex"?

I think I would normally do so, but 'ex' doesn't conjure up the same thing to me as it does to you.

ioan
10th November 2007, 18:12
I think I would normally do so, but 'ex' doesn't conjure up the same thing to me as it does to you.

That's obvious.

Still ex-world champion is not correct, unless we talk about some athlete that was stripped his title because he was using illegal performance enhancing substances.

ioan
10th November 2007, 18:13
Man, aren't we discussing subtle things ;) :D

Yeah, it must be one of the most subtle subjects we discussed this season. :D

markabilly
10th November 2007, 18:24

not ever as in never the 2007 wdc, if bernie has his way on nov 15th....... :D

Daniel
10th November 2007, 19:45
That's obvious.

Still ex-world champion is not correct, unless we talk about some athlete that was stripped his title because he was using illegal performance enhancing substances.
I'm sorry but my girlfriend is a school teacher and BDunnell is a journalist and both agree that ex-champion is an acceptable term to describle someone who is a world champion but not of the current season. I think that should mean something.....

The English language is a funny thing and it's not meant to be disected and interpreted to the word. Inflammable means the same as flammable yet if you disect it and interpret it letter by letter it should mean the opposite.

BDunnell
10th November 2007, 20:10
The English language is a funny thing and it's not meant to be disected and interpreted to the word.

That's just as well, because it's actually dissected. ;)

wmcot
11th November 2007, 00:53
I agree. We're starting to get way too picky! Maybe we can start a "Proper Use of the English Language" forum? :)

(It could have sub-forums for UK English, US English, Australian English, Canadian English...)

Valve Bounce
11th November 2007, 01:49
........and Yorkshire English, and why not throw in a bit of Cockney also? :p :

Easy Drifter
11th November 2007, 15:20
That's right, eh.

SGWilko
11th November 2007, 19:22
........and Yorkshire English, :p :

As in...

I say what I like, and I like what I bloody well say.......?

(must be quoted in a strong Yorkshire accent, preferably while the music to the Hovis ad is playing gently in the background.

Ecky thump.

:D