PDA

View Full Version : It's Sports Personality of the Year time again.

Hazell B
7th November 2007, 21:50
Yes, it must be that time of year again I think, when we're all encouraged to vote for whoever the journalists decide are worthy (and Jenson Button).

So, who's going to be nominated (if they haven't been already) and who deserves it?

I'd quite like to see James Toseland to gain most votes, but expect Lewis Hamilton to win despite the move abroad, moaning about the press (then selling his story to them) and his rather rude view on his fans at times. I do like him, but don't think he is quite right this year for the title.

Team of the Year should be the rugby lads, though I still haven't decided if they got so far because of, or dispite, their coach :mark:

Other views?

Brown, Jon Brow
7th November 2007, 22:02
Sports personality will be Lewis Hamilton or Christine Ohuruogu

Team will be the England Rugby but should be Man Utd :p How funny would it be if McLaren won team of the year?

Magnus
8th November 2007, 06:59
Well, as always it´s Marcus Grönholm! :D
Then there are all the other guys: Loeb, solberg, Hirvonen, Sordo and so on.
An outsider far down the rank is this guy Räikönnen from this other sport. Hmmm... A^2+B^2=C^2 or something like that. It has something to do with formulas anyway, that I know.

GridGirl
8th November 2007, 08:35
Lewis Hamilton was odds on favourite by a country mile last time I looked on Williams Hill's website and that was before he lost the World Championship. I think Ricky Hatton might have a chance of coming in the top three if he can beat Floyd Mayweather in a few weeks time and Paula Radcliffe might get a sympathy vote for coming back to win the New York Marathon 10 months after having a baby.

Daniel
8th November 2007, 10:23
Well, as always it´s Marcus Grönholm! :D
Then there are all the other guys: Loeb, solberg, Hirvonen, Sordo and so on.
An outsider far down the rank is this guy Räikönnen from this other sport. Hmmm... A^2+B^2=C^2 or something like that. It has something to do with formulas anyway, that I know.
Hazell is referring to UK sports personality of the year :)

Daniel
8th November 2007, 10:24
Lewis Hamilton was odds on favourite by a country mile last time I looked on Williams Hill's website and that was before he lost the World Championship. I think Ricky Hatton might have a chance of coming in the top three if he can beat Floyd Mayweather in a few weeks time and Paula Radcliffe might get a sympathy vote for coming back to win the New York Marathon 10 months after having a baby.
Someone who's a winner will never win an award like this. This country doesn't reward winners :p

pino
8th November 2007, 10:45

Pitty or my choice would've been Casey Stoner :up:

Daniel
8th November 2007, 10:50
I'm sorry but his accent/voice just precludes him from winning anything other than just races. Pino, would you guess that Stoner and myself are born in the same country? :p

GridGirl
8th November 2007, 10:53
I think there is an award for the best international sports star or team on the night, we just don't get the opportunity to vote for them. :)

Magnus
8th November 2007, 11:35

Yeah? Ok, sorry... :rolleyes:

Daniel
8th November 2007, 11:37
Yeah? Ok, sorry... :rolleyes:
Ooook :mark: I was merely point out that it was a UK award and therefore the people you were talking about aren't eligible.

pino
8th November 2007, 11:58
... Pino, would you guess that Stoner and myself are born in the same country? :p

Yes...how cruel is life :( :p :

Daniel
8th November 2007, 12:07
Yes...how cruel is life :( :p :
For him or for me! :p

pino
8th November 2007, 12:11
For him or for me! :p

I will let you decide that :p :

Back to the topic now ;)

Daniel
8th November 2007, 12:20
I will let you decide that :p :

Back to the topic now ;)
Yes :) I sadly think Hamilton will win and I'll explain why....

The media have gone mad for him and he's the one sports person who stands out as being successful this year. But he's not that great a personality. I can't imagine him being particularly interesting to talk to. He seems very much a goody twoshoes and never really seems warm. If anyone caught his interview on radio 2 you'd know how he was rather boring to listen to (at least in my opinion).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/evans/ram/evans_hamilton.ram

Drew
8th November 2007, 14:36
If Hamilton does not win, I'd be pretty surprised.

sal
8th November 2007, 15:04
I'd like to see a posthumous award for Colin M. Remember in 95 he got beaten by a hop skip and jumper....Would also like to see Andy Priaux get some recognition....

millencolin
8th November 2007, 16:01

Ditto... but since its British, i guess its hamilton. Its definately not the English cricket team thats for sure :p :

Hazell B
8th November 2007, 20:23
Someone who's a winner will never win an award like this. This country doesn't reward winners :p

Dame :rolleyes: Kelly Holmes may disagree with you there.
I'm still at the high blood pressure, seething anger, utter disgust stage over her status as SPotY and Dame, as you can see. Handed out like sweeties they were, that year :mark:

But yes, real winners who take championships year after year like those in the darts, motor racing, boxing and so on are generally given a vague mention at best. 'Personality' perhaps takes far more meaning from media coverage than real personality.

I'd go Stoner for International Sporting Personality too. And what's wrong with his voice? He's sweet sounding and it has to beat being a Brummie :p :

MrJan
8th November 2007, 20:31
Didn't Prilaux get something a few years back?

I think some boolies stopped taking bets on Hamilton in May. Can't really think of anyone else that gets close to winning it. Footballers have done nothing and no single player stood out from the rugby team.

For the team I'd like to nominate Exeter City, they're doing average in the Conference at the minute :up: :D :p :

Drew
8th November 2007, 21:04
Ditto... but since its British, i guess its hamilton. Its definately not the English cricket team thats for sure :p :

Perhaps it could be our rugby team? ;)

"We're doing average at the minute" pretty much sums up the entire history of Exeter :p :

MrJan
8th November 2007, 23:47
I'd rather that than win all the time, how boring must that be? No a bit of tension is just what you need.

AndyRAC
9th November 2007, 10:44
Can't see Stoner winning the Overseas Award. Rossi never managed to win it, it normally goes to either Golf or Tennis, to keep the Beebs contracts sweet I would suggest.
Politics comes into these awards I'm certain.

Eki
9th November 2007, 16:46
Dame :rolleyes: Kelly Holmes may disagree with you there.
I'm still at the high blood pressure, seething anger, utter disgust stage over her status as SPotY and Dame, as you can see. Handed out like sweeties they were, that year :mark:

Maybe some day knights demand the Queen to give them a shrubbery like in the "Knights who say Ni", she comes to you, you help her out and she'll make you a Dame as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_who_say_Ni

The Knights demand that King Arthur bring them a shrubbery in order to pass through a patch of woodland which they guard. They require that it must be a good one and not too expensive. As a result, Arthur and his companions return to a nearby village where they purchase a shrubbery from "Roger the Shrubber" (played by Eric Idle). Later, the Knights of Ni become the Knights of an odd string of syllables (although the knights apart from the head knight continue to say 'Ni').

Hazell B
9th November 2007, 19:04
Ikky ikky patang!

MrJan
9th November 2007, 21:37
It

Sleeper
9th November 2007, 22:30
I'd go Stoner for International Sporting Personality too. And what's wrong with his voice? He's sweet sounding and it has to beat being a Brummie :p :

Oi!! Whats wrong with my accent :mad:

;)

Bezza
10th November 2007, 20:38

Exactly - they let you into the country ;)

stevie_gerrard
13th November 2007, 22:19
Hamilton should win it based on the fact he has had such a meteoric rise through the rankings and challenged for the formula 1 world championship in his debut year, and came so close to winning it! But if Ricky Hatton wins the night before, in his fight with Floyd Mayweather, there is no-one more deserving than him, and he has had quite a brilliant year too in the ring! :)

Daz
17th November 2007, 22:38
I'd love to see Lewis Hamilton win it. As foir the team award McLaren won't win it, the FIA will make sure of that.

ShiftingGears
18th November 2007, 06:38
With all the hype, I'd be surprised if Hamilton doesn't win it.